Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Working « previous next »
Page: 1

Codmons

Hall of Famer

: December 05, 2009, 05:56:29 AM

Who here actually enjoys their job and what do you do?... I work in the woods and today is the first day I've been able to work in 3 weeks due to rain and the ground being soft. I'm employed in a family business up in Pennsylvania, cutting and skidding trees. I run the skidder. Feels awesome to be back to work, not too many people can say that eh? lol... What do you guys do in your work life?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : December 05, 2009, 06:02:50 AM

Curious, if you were financially able, would you continue to want to work?

If you look forward to getting up and going to work, you're pretty lucky.

gruber

Pro Bowler

#2 : December 05, 2009, 06:08:34 AM

Selfemployed I do like what I do, but with (for lack of better words) the lower tier employees make life difficult at times. In addition the hours involved are sometimes brutal almost torture like.

Morgan if I was financially able no  I would not be doing this. I would go back to my job in highschool, installing garage doors. Don't know why but I always loved that job.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 05, 2009, 07:37:27 AM

Fireman is a good job.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 05, 2009, 08:48:50 AM

I pastor a church which is bi-vocational.  We have 2 services; Sunday morning & Wednesday evening.  We are a small country church and run between 50-90, which is perfect for me.  I don't do a lot of visiting since we live close to 30 miles from the church.  For me, I'm ministering daily, not just on those days, and not just in the church!  I speak quite often on Sunday evenings in other churches and do a lot of speaking at chapels for schools and dependency programs.  I love my church family and fellowship with them often, but my family time will always come first since they are my first ministry.

I drive a school bus strictly for the insurance.  I also bring home about $500 per month after the taxes and insurance.  I'll be completely honest; it is not a very fun job, but you can't beat the insurance!  I take a drug called Enbrel for Psoriatic Arthritis and it costs about $400 per shot without coverage; it's a weekly injection.  When I had my own business private insurance was costing close to a $1,000 just for me!  My entire family is covered under the bus plan and I also have dental, vision, life, short/long term disability.  It's tough to minister to kids on a bus!  I do my best, but mainly I'm just a disciplinarian.  Regardless, it takes an hour in the morning and almost 2 hours in the evening.  It's nice to get paid during summer break! 

I work part-time for a local air conditioning company doing residetial sales and marketing.  I've been with them for almost 4 years and make a good living.  I like the fact I'm only required to be there from 9am-2pm, although I'm there much longer most days.  Most days I come in about 10!  They provide me a laptop for marketing and a cell phone for sales; I also have a vehicle.  Being 38 and working in retail most of my life, I've been able to adjust to a new career outside of the oil industry.  If I were full time I could get insurance coverage, but would not have the flexibility to minister.  I struggle with this fact each and every time I crank that bus up.....

In the end, I'm very thankful God has been able to provide for my needs and wants.  Life is so much different for me now.  Before I was in the ministry and dependent upon God, I had a successful career, company perks, 401k, insurance, and savings.  I don't have quite all of that now, but I have joy and peace; I see my family just as much as I see my friends and those I work with.  I rarely spend the night away from home and I'm fulfilling the call on my life which God purposed me for.  Which would you settle for?  I still struggle about where college funds will come from, how I will retire before I'm 90, but I certainly don't worry about it like I once did.  I simply put my trust in God to lead me.  Had you known me prior to becoming a Christian, you would find that last statement about "worry" impossible to believe.

Codmons

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 05, 2009, 08:25:07 PM

Awesome to read the responses so far, and yes... money is straight for me and I don't have to worry about it too much. We own close to a million dollars in equipment + stock. I'm working for $50 a day out in the woods. A 7 hour day out there, feels like a 12 hour day anywhere else... it's a pretty physically exerting job... but I enjoy the work (I've been out there since I was 13) and I'm helping the ole man make his payments and what not... I also realize there is a future with my job and it's been the only one thrown my way... you take what you get sometimes.

swashbuccaler

Hall of Famer

#6 : December 05, 2009, 08:31:14 PM

This reminds me of this classic scene...

" Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark!"

Suh or bust, Dom. You make the call.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 05, 2009, 08:35:27 PM

I pastor a church which is bi-vocational. 

So, were you born bi-vocational or did you choose that lifestyle????

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 06, 2009, 12:09:20 AM

hehehehehehe. God chose it for me ;)

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 06, 2009, 04:04:51 AM

I work for my dads best friend at a dental supply company. He has no kids never married so he treats me like a son. I get work off no problem if I travel for a college football game, need time off for school, whatever. Its just now me and a russian guy (whos a great guy) and my boss/owner and his sister. They treat us great. And Im pretty sure when Im done with school he will give me the business. So yeah i enjoy my job. Good pay, weekends off... cant say i have it that bad

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 06, 2009, 04:36:10 PM

I enjoy my job.   I'm a network admin/IS tech at a federal and county health department/clinic.      I work with some very cool people and the dental clinic is full of hotties.   I like to hang out there a lot since being single again. 

Codmons

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 09, 2009, 11:31:20 AM

Awesome feedback guys, to update this... I recently received a pay raise and I'm going to be skidding some huge trees here shortly xD.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 09, 2009, 11:46:31 AM

Overall not really.  It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the company B S, sales plans and micromanaging.  I deliver, merchandise and order a line of products for 3 supermarkets.  My days off are Weds/Thurs. which is a sore spot with me and holidays really suck because they are a busy time.  I also have to get up around 3:30 am and typically work 9-12 hour days.  Pay is ok for what it is-about $1000 a week.  I've worked for this company for a 11 years and I'm a little burnt out and it seems to get worse every year but I can't afford to quit.  They re-engineered all the routes a few months ago and I lost my old route which was M-F and about 55 hours a week.  We bid based on seniority.  I took another similar type of route with weekends off and the money was really good but there was a lot of driving involved and I was working over 13 hours a day.  After only two weeks this supermarket route came open and I took it because I couldn't continue to work those kind of hours.  Now I'm stuck never having a day off with my wife and it is less money.  The only good news is my wife is up for a big promotion and she expects to be making 6 figures so my options could change.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Working « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools