Articles

Bucs Begin Contract Extension Talks With RB Martin
Bucs RB Doug Martin became an All-Pro in 2015 – Photo by: Cliff Welch/PR
Scott Reynolds

Bucs Begin Contract Extension Talks With RB Martin

- Publisher 28 comments 📅January 28, 2016 8:46 am

The Senior Bowl is not only a place where all 32 teams watch the best senior talent available in the NFL Draft as well as the NFL’s largest job market, it’s also a place where agents and general managers meet to begin preliminary contract talks. PewterReport.com has learned that such discussions have taken place between Bucs general manager Jason Licht and agent David Dunn regarding a contract extension with Pro Bowl running back Doug Martin.

The two were seen talking in the stands of Ladd-Peebles Stadium, and a source confirms that Martin was the topic of the discussion. The entire Bucs organization wants Martin, who is in the final year of his rookie contract, to be re-signed after rushing for 1,402 yards, which was the second-most in the league this year, and six touchdowns.

Doug Martin led the Bucs in rushing in 2015 – Photo by Mark LoMoglio/PR

Martin was eligible for a fifth-year option due to the fact that he was a first-round pick in 2012, but Licht turned it down, which gave the Boise State product every incentive to have a big year as he is slated for free agency in 2016. New Tampa Bay head coach Dirk Koetter, who was the team’s offensive coordinator last year, vehemently told reporters that he wanted a new contract for Martin, who is slated to become a free agent in March.

“Tell Jason Licht that I want, I want Doug Martin back!” Koetter said. “Tell Jason – I’m putting my name on it. I want Doug Martin to be a Buc. Tell him. Who wouldn’t want Doug Martin back? He’s a terrific football player. Of course, we would love to have him back. Jason has control of that. I think Jason wants Doug back, too. You will have to get [Licht] on that but I’m pretty sure he does.”

Martin has also expressed interest in staying with the Bucs and playing for Koetter.

“I love Tampa,” Martin said in November when discussing his desire to remain in red and pewter. “I built a house here. I love it here.

“It’s my fourth year here, and I’ve got a lot of relationships right here. I just love Tampa.”

The Bucs have looked at Martin’s entirety with the team as a whole when assessing his value. He had two injury-filled years sandwiched between two Pro Bowl seasons in Tampa Bay. Both sides remain hopeful of reaching a consensus on a new contract prior to the start of free agency on March 9. The one thing Tampa Bay does not plan on doing is using the franchise tag on Martin.

28 Comments

1. BaldBuc
    January 27, 2016  9:39 pm BaldBuc

Ummm, this may sound ridiculous, but if we don’t come to terms, why not use the franchise tag? Doug would be paid well, and have to prove that he can perform in consecutive years. Who else would we franchise? Just wondering.

2. ryan24
    January 27, 2016  10:19 pm ryan24

Can’t franchise a player on his rookie deal that you decline the 5th year option on which the Bucs did.

So no tag for Doug

3. Horse
    January 27, 2016  10:22 pm Horse

I can understand the concern about injuries, but it didn’t seem to matter when McCoy was signed for a new huge contract. The question here is what is the value for a RB who can run and catch in Licht’s Budget. I have no clue what Martin is worth and I don’t believe any of us fans know either. My guess is 4 year contract, 10 million guaranteed, 4 million per year.

4. Noles_02
    January 28, 2016  2:40 am Noles_02

I can’t imagine him being worth all the hype that people are talking. His success is a direct reflection of the ability of the O-line. We need someone with break-away speed that has a next gear they can hit to pull away. Can’t count how many times he was in the clear and it was just a matter of time before he got caught from behind, and with our trouble in the red zone, we need to put those break aways into points. Not saying he’s not a good player.. but we’re just missing the speed needed to finish the job.

• Twistedwires
      January 28, 2016  6:09 am Twistedwires

No doubt. We all watched him get caught from behind on numerous occasions. But I’ll take that over runs of less than 5 yards all day long. Just because you’re fast doesn’t mean you have good vision, good agility, and good ability to plant and cut. Of course we’d all like a guy with all the skills Martin has PLUS having 4.2 forty yard dash speed. But who is that guy? Do you know who it is? We have Martin. Who was the Bucs RB that was the Olympic printer? I don’t even remember his name. He was fast. Where is he now? Martin is a great RB to keep on this team until someone comes along that displays his great attributes plus significantly faster speed. Maybe that guys will materialize. Who knows.

• Noles_02
        January 28, 2016  8:19 am Noles_02

Twisted: Agreed. The point I was trying to make was more in reference to the fact that they are negotiating his extension. I totally agree that we should keep him, but I don’t think that we should break the bank over him, because I don’t think he is the franchise player that his stats maybe make him out to be.

• cgmaster27
      January 28, 2016  12:29 pm cgmaster27

Love the Name Noles 2. AS Noles fan myself I allow myself to dream a bit. We do need to sign Doug to a 3 year deal with an option for the 4th. I do agree that he is always getting caught from behind it seems , but damn there was countless plays he made after getting hit 3 or 4 yards in the backfield. Sign him to a 3 year deal and draft our boy Cook , next off season. That guy is just explosive. I know I”m a nole so I’m biased a bit.
      I told my brother the other day if we got jameis, Ramsey , and Cook in three straight drafts. Guarantee the playoffs. haha.

5. scubog
    January 28, 2016  5:59 am scubog

Noles: You mush have also seen him breaking tackles allowing him to get into the open field. I think there was some statistic that had Martin gaining he most yards AFTER contact. I guess I shouldn’t mention PR’s former stance on # 22 vs # 43.

Let’s hope he doesn’t fall prey to the Curse of the Scubog Game Jersey making my # 22 jersey obsolete.

6. pittbullbuc
    January 28, 2016  8:18 am pittbullbuc

Ha Ha, “the Curse of the Scubog Game Jersey making #22 (Martin’s) jersey obsolete”. I’d say, taking macabee’s Spotrac market value chart Martins here till he’s 30. So (I Hope) your good and your “Curse” will wait awhile to take effect.

7. surferdudes
    January 28, 2016  8:22 am surferdudes

That’s funny, no brake away speed. I guess he crawled his way to 1400 yards. Martin will be a Buc. We want him, he wants to be here, we have plenty of cap space. The contract will be fair for both sides. Is it worth moving away from a place you love, have roots, no state income tax, for a million, or so more? Doubt Martin thinks so. Guys a solid dude, good back, good team mate. We need that.

8. ForeverCream
    January 28, 2016  8:32 am ForeverCream

Give the hamster a nut.

9. george1702
    January 28, 2016  1:25 pm george1702

do not, I repeat, do not give martin a contract. just because I said that they probably will. he is not the back that people think he is. in short, you get the same thing or more with the backups we have. I believe that Sims is a better back then him. don’t do it.

• Hate
      January 31, 2016  7:21 am Hate

What team have you been watching? There isn’t a back on this team that brings what Martin brings to the table. Chuck Sims is good in his current role but no way do I wanna see him as THE guy. Dude dances to much and sometimes you have to take the 3 yds given to ya. Doug will get paid….and he’ll get paid here. End of story!!

10. BucFan circa76
    January 28, 2016  5:38 pm BucFan circa76

Martin did great the first year and last year of his rookie contract and was injured/forgettable the 2nd and 3rd years. So its simple, sign him to a 2 year contract. :)
    Last season’s big $$ free agent RB’s were busts for their new team (see Philadelphia, Buffalo) so perhaps the market price will come down some for Martin and the Bucs. I do think Martin is a good guy, and when healthy a key to our offense. I doubt and hope that Licht doesn’t overpay just because we have cap room this season.

11. BucWild02
    January 28, 2016  5:55 pm BucWild02

6 mil per year. Dougernaut would’ve had just over 5 mil if they optioned his 5th year. Fair market value is at 24m/4yrs. Maybe a hometown discount since there isn’t state income tax pushes it down to 5m/yr with a 2 mil signing bonus.

12. drdneast
    January 28, 2016  10:06 pm drdneast

The Bucs have over 40 million in spare cap money right now. I don’t think they are having to worry about overpaying someone to the point it is going to hurt their cap space.
    Even if the Bucs keep Vjax at his current salary, it will be gone the next year freeing up another addition $12 million.
    Macabee, good add as usual. I’m thinking $6.5 million with maybe a $2 million signing bonus for this year since we have a gob of cap space available.

• Horse
      January 29, 2016  10:47 am Horse

Spoken liker a government employee. You don’t spend money to be spending it; you spend just below thr real value as much as possible. Not one of our overspent players in the decades past have been worth. By being thrifty, you have the opportunity to still be in the future market for quality free agents.

13. Entre
    January 29, 2016  5:40 pm Entre

Licht is smart. I think the contract ends up something like 3 years with an option for the 4th year. 18 to 20 million total with most of it being front loaded, so that we can cut our losses after year 2 if we need it.

14. george1702
    February 01, 2016  3:51 pm george1702

if they keep him it will be a mistake. he is an average back ( he’s always been)on the downside of his career. plus most of his runs came against lower level defensives. Charles Sims is faster,can catch better and sees the field better. there is a reason we couldn’t trade him early this year. CHARLES SIMS “OVER” doug martin. Please for the future of the bucs.

Only registered users can comment.