Bucs strong safety Sabby Piscitelli, who lost his starting job to newcomer Sean Jones when Tampa Bay released its latest depth chart on Monday, voiced his displeasure over his demotion and the way in which the team handled it. Find out what Piscitelli said in this PewterReport.com article.
Buccaneers safety Sabby Piscitelli reacted on Wednesday to losing the starting strong safety position to veteran Sean Jones, who was signed in March. Piscitelli was the Buccaneers starter in 2009, and was criticized for missed tackles and blown assignments.
"I don't think it was ever a competition," said Piscitelli. "That's my opinion. I don't think it was a competition that's all I'm going to say on that."
Piscitelli said that he found out via text message from defensive backs coach Jimmy Lake. Lake said that the new depth chart had been posted on the team's website. Piscitelli then said he wanted to meet man-to-man to discuss the reason for losing the competition. Piscitelli was asked if he felt he played well enough to be the starting safety.
"I'm my worst critic, and I have to improve on every aspect of the game," said Piscitelli. "I need to keep on improving, but if you ask me about, that I don't think it was ever a competition."
Piscitelli, who was clearly miffed about discussing his demotion, said he would approach practice and the preseason games as a way to try and earn playing time.
"I'm taking everyday like I always do," Piscitelli said. "I'm going to come out here and try and keep getting better."
Copyright © 2011 Pewter Report, PewterReport.com and Pewter Insider. All rights reserved. PewterReport.com, the official site of Pewter Report, is an independent source of news and commentary and is not affiliated with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the NFL.