Less than a month after announcing his retirement from the NFL, former Bucs great Ronde Barber is embarking on a new career in broadcasting.
Newly retired Buccaneers legend Ronde Barber won’t be kicking back in the recliner this fall.
Barber’s agent Mark Lepselter of Maxx Sports and Entertainment confirmed with PewterReport.com via a phone call that Barber has signed a deal with FOX Sports, and will perform in a “hybrid role” fulfilling a number of duties beginning this fall.
Lepselter didn’t want to get into the specifics and said more details would be released soon. Despite the lack of specifics, speculation abounds that Barber will be part of the new Fox Sports 1, a channel that will debut in August and attempt to compete with ESPN.
Barber announced his retirement earlier this month and hinted of what could possibly be forthcoming at a news conference held at One Buc Place back on May 9.
“I'm not ready to say what I'm doing or where I'm going,” Barber said. “But yes, I'll be somewhere. Me and my manager have had a plan for a lot of years, met with guys in the offseason for the past three or four years. You've seen my mug on TV. I enjoy doing it.”
Copyright © 2011 Pewter Report, PewterReport.com and Pewter Insider. All rights reserved. PewterReport.com, the official site of Pewter Report, is an independent source of news and commentary and is not affiliated with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the NFL.