Bucs wide receiver Mike Williams will have a misdemeanor trespass and criminal mischief charge dropped upon completion of an intervention program. Hillsborough Circuit Judge Margaret Courtney agreed to allow Williams to enter the program last Thursday.
Bucs wide receiver Mike Williams appears to have one less concern after a Hillsborough Circuit Judge Margaret Courtney agreed last Thursday to allow Williams to apply for entry into a misdemeanor intervention program which will result in charges being dropped in criminal mischief and trespassing charges brought against him last December.
“Mike is happy to get this behind him,’’ Williams’ attorney, Stephen Romine told the Tampa Tribune. “He’ll do whatever is required to complete the conditions of the program and is looking forward to getting back on the football field.’’
According to the Tribune, Williams, 26, was not in attendance for the Thursday’s hearing, which stemmed from a Dec. 13 incident in which he “willfully enter(ed) or remain(ed) in the property of Gabrielle Edwards,’’ without authorization and did approximately $200 worth of damage to the front door, according to the charging document. Romine said Williams has already paid for the damage done to the apartment door and is hoping to complete the terms of the intervention program before the start of the 2014 NFL season.
Williams has drawn the ire of head coach Lovie Smith and general manager Jason Licht for his off the field behavior, and even Bucs co-chairman Joel Glazer who last week at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando said the team wasn’t happy with the negative headlines. Glazer commented specifically on Williams being stabbed by his brother in an altercation at his Avila home on March 23.
“Obviously we are disappointed when anything like that happens to one of our players," Glazer said. "It is one of those things that is still ongoing, an ongoing investigation. We are still trying to gather information. But it is not something we like to be part of our organization. It distracts from our team and the positive things we are doing. So it something we are still monitoring and getting all the information and see where it all goes. Like I said, it is still ongoing investigation and something we are still trying to get more information. Then Lovie and Jason will evaluate the situation.
"As an organization, we have put a real emphasis on off-the-field activities, what we expect of our players. We expect nothing but the highest standards. We're going to stick to that. We want to be an organization the community is proud of. We have a lot of good players doing a lot of great things. What this does, what any bad news does, is overshadow all the great work, all the hard work of all the other players. We have 50-some-odd players doing great things. We'd rather that be the focus."
Williams, a fourth-round pick of the Bucs in 2010, Williams signed a six-year, $40.25 million contract last July after coming off a 2012 season that saw the former Syracuse product finish the season with 996 yards on 63 receptions and nine touchdowns. In 2013, Williams suffered an early-season hamstring injury that eventually cost him the final 10 games. Williams finished the 2013 season with 22 receptions for 216 yards and two touchdowns.
Copyright © 2011 Pewter Report, PewterReport.com and Pewter Insider. All rights reserved. PewterReport.com, the official site of Pewter Report, is an independent source of news and commentary and is not affiliated with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers or the NFL.