TBayXXXVII

Participant

4) The Buccaneers book a postseason berth The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a playoff move at No. 19, where GM Jason Licht pilfered O.J. Howard, a top-10 talent and do-it-all tight end with a winning pedigree. The Alabama product will make an instant impact in Tampa, combining with young stud receiver Mike Evans and field-stretching free-agent signee DeSean Jackson to give QB Jameis Winston a major boost in Year 3. Mark it down: The Bucs are going to the playoffs. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000805464/article/moves-i-loved-liked-and-loathed-in-the-2017-nfl-draft

Nah, not buying it.  Oh, I can certainly see the Bucs making the playoffs, but O.J. Howard isn’t the reason.  Had the Bucs drafted (and I believe more wisely so), a DE, OL, or WR (possibly via trade down), the Bucs would still be a playoff contender.  The selection of Godwin in the 3rd, plus a selection of someone like Davis, Conley, Peppers, McKinley, or Charlton would have solidified my stance on the Bucs making the playoffs.

Last year, Brate recorded 57 receptions, 660 yards, and 8 TD’s.  If Howard equals that, do you know where that would put him on the “TE all-time rookie” list (in the Super Bowl era – 52 years)?  #1.  That’s right.  Howard would have the best season by rookie tight end since 1966.  I don’t see really how Howard will drastically upgrade the Bucs offense.  I think if Howard never plays a snap this year, the addition of Jackson, plus Godwin in the slot along with Brate as the everydown TE, the Bucs should have a very productive offense / season.