Reply To: Tanny to be cut loose, Eagles pick up Foles 20mil option.

Roy
Participant

Talk to me in a cpl months,when foles is not in philly.

Yes, Carson Wentz is the quarterback going forward,” coach Doug Pederson said at a joint news conference with executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman on Tuesday. “And in Nick’s case, listen, we’d love to have everybody back throughout the roster, but as I’ve said many, many times, it’s not about one guy, it’s about the team, and we’re going to do what’s best for the team.”

The Eagles franchising Foles implies they have received offers for the quarterback, at the very least a third-round pick (according to Schefter). They are expected to pick up the $20 million option on Foles next week, giving Foles the opportunity to buy his way back into free agency by giving the Eagles $2 million. 

Philadelphia is then expected to franchise tag Foles in the attempt to trade him. 

This should be an interesting situation.  If I’m Foles I pay the $2 million.  The Franchise tag will be about $23 million and change.  The Eagles must have some suitors if they are going to tag for that much. They better hope they do, or they will be stuck with a $23 million backup QB.  I don’t think any team can afford to carry that load against their cap.

And of course that brings up the question:  Which team is going to trade for Foles?  It would probably be one of the same cast of characters – Miami, Denver, Jacksonville.  They could be looking for a bridge QB and could still draft a QB,  Or maybe they aren’t buying the hype on  Haskins/Lock/Jones.  So there are a lot of chess pieces to be moved before the draft which will have a big impact on what goes on in the draft.

No votes yet.
Please wait...