There are plenty of white people who face discrimination because they are poor and that includes the working poor of Manchester 🙂
In America though, there is a deep seated institutional racism that exist today because MANY white people deny its existence, as you have seen in this thread. So to answer one of your questions, the first thing it takes is for some (not all) WHITE to confront their own ingrained thoughts . . . and that is the exact point of the video, or one of the points, PROVEN by most of the responses here BY WHITE PEOPLE
There are countless examples of institutional racism — housing, lending etc — LAWS passed by largely white legislators to “deal” with black people. So, here’s just ONE example.
When the Civil Right movement occurred in the 60s, it had a substantial portion fo the country (just like today, think about that) denying the need. The result of that denial (which existed since the civil war and beyond to today) was HOUSING & BANKING policies that aggregated black people in urban areas and opportunity that moved white people to the suburbs. That LEGISLATED TACTIC is very well documented, so I will not bother, BUT to illustrate that the DENIAL exists today I offer THREE different PROOFS, one of which you touched on
1) BLACK PEOPLE NEED TO GET THEIR OWN HOUSE IN ORDER – on these board YOU SEE WHITE GOP PEOPLE BLAME Dems for “mismanaging ” cities, but if you go to Chicago, as one example, you will see Black people PACKED into south chichago (by lending and policy) and BEAUTUL, wealthy WHITE neighborhoods to the south. tHAT IS THE RESULT OF intentional housing and BANKING POLICY, (here’s the proof) BUT WHITE PEOPLE PORTRAY IT SOLELY AS black people not controlling their own. Just the other day someone posted Walt William, who actually argues that Black people don’t deserve help because they kill each other (a racist trope if ever there was one
2) CORNAVIRUS –Black people have taken a double hit from Coronavirus, dying more and losing more jobs. Why? because their living conditions are mostly tightly packed cities and they have lesser access to regular care because they have, generally speaking, inferior jobs . . .INFERIOR CLINICS.
3. CORPORATE WORLD (you’re point)- generally, black people have the type of service jobs that don’t come back as quickly from something like CV or economic downturn. Pick almost any big corporate entity or industry — the NFL is good example – and you will see the numbers skewed to Black in the low level jobs. So yes, there are policies to help with employment, but still racism is one reason black NFL coaches don’t ascend the HC, why the corporate black man is usually the worker, not the C-suite. THE PROOF OF MY POINT : GO TO THE RED BOARD NOW AND LOOK AT THE NFL COACHING THTREAD. You will find come of the same white oople in this thread arguing that a couple white coaches having long career paths to HC proves that there is no racism at work in NFLH HC jobs even thought eh actual statistics are obvious
Its that kind of mindset — always denying that the racism exists in the first place (posting Candace Owen, Ben Shapiro etc) THAT IS THE CORE PORBLEM.
3. LIFE SECURITY — there is a poster here who is clearly white, clearly modest education, but has probably vied a pretty good suburban life and hes pretty old (judging by posts). That same person born black is MUCH more likely to be living in an urban environment and much more likely to not grow old and that INCLUDES the risk of getting killed by cops (the topic that started this thread and others). The WHITE mindset you see here in response to that is “Floyd was a bad person.” He may have been BUT THAT DOESNT CHANGE THE FACt THAT THE WHITE PEOPLE HERE IGNORE, which include that St Paul is laegely different that neignboring Minneapoli and that in the black community in that area, Geroge Floyd’s death at the hands of police was the 4th or 5th death since Phlando Castile near by. IN OTHER WORDS, white privilege’ is, in npart, the reality that you can be a modestly educated white person and still avoid many of the riosks that occur regularly for the modestly educated urban black person.
SO, IF YOU SUMMED UP THE VIDEO IS IT A BLACK MAN TRYOGN NTO EXPLAIN TO WHOTE PEOPLE WHY THEY SHOULD ADDRESS THE ISSUE OF RACE AS UNCOMPFRTBALE AS IT IS.
THE WHITE RESPONSE IN THIS THREAD and others WAS LARGLEY (NOT EXCLUSIVELY)
1. TO IGNORE IT (eg Buggsy)
2. To Mock it (JBear sai that speaker say “riots are ok” when he actually said, just like MLK, that people riot when they feel unheard. Black people in Minneapolic right when 4 olr 5 black men have died at the hand of cops from Castille to Floyd and there is no change
3. To post black people because their view agrees with the white person – so “forget the millions protesting for weeks, here’s a black person who agrees that my thoughts are not racist” BUT TO SIMULTANEOUSLY IGNORE THIS BLACK PERSON SPEAKING
4. to say black people are lazy so theres no white people trying to hold them back from voting EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE A GOD DAMN VOTING RIGHTS ACT lmao
THOSE 4 THINGS DONT MAKE THE POSTERS RACISTS — I WANT TO MAKE THAT PIOINT VERY CLEAR AGAIN – IT JUST MAKES THEM WHITE PEOPLE WHO ARE UNWILLING TO EVEN CONSIDER THAT THERE MIGHT BE A PROBLEM . . .
THATS THE REASON THAT THIS 2020 SPEAKER CAN STILL QUOTE 1960S MLK AND SAY riots are the voice of the unheard.”