DCGoth

Participant

The long and short of it is this. There are columns of “migrants” heading towards the border quoting the fact that Biden won the election and he has promised not to deport anyone for 100 days.

@spartan

I respect your responses, so I’ll give this one an honest answer.

Granted, there still airways be people that cross into the country via borders; however, in reality, the biggest problem that exists within this country of “illegals” are people that enter this country through airports and overstay their visa.

There will always be migrant workers, and as far as I’m concerned, three farmers, (pretty much all Republicans), need them. Migrant workers do not take US jobs. They do shit work for a shit wage. The average life expectancy of a migrant worker is thirty-eight. I once had to write a very long paper on migrants, back when I was with Club Fed. They do shit work in shit conditions and a good number live in camps on one side of the border or the other. Most states that have the highest usage of migrant workers have antiquated housing laws that basically allow them to live in conditions that would make a shanty in Cape Town look like a palace.

I would fully support better pay for farm workers in order to attract people here to take those jobs. Should that occur, the price of a head of lettuce would increase by about $.05. Again, even then, there are very few people in this country legally that would accept a position that involves back-breaking labour, but that produce still has to reach the markets.

IMHO, it will not be US citizens working as day labourers on farms that will replace migrants. It will be automation, the same reason that the coal industry will never again have a wealth of coal miners. They can now level an entire mountainside with a crew of seven, all operating automated equipment to extract the coal. Those jobs are just gone and they’re not coming back.

One extra point on coal miners. IMHO, those jobs should go away. My grandfather on my mother’s side came to Pennsylvania in the early 1900s, from Ireland to be a coal miner. It was one of the few jobs Irish people could get back then. He was broken by the time I was born and deceased not long after. He died in the 1960s.

(As I’ve mentioned, none of my family was in this country until the 1900s. On my mother’s side, they came here some time after 1900. On my father’s side, they came here in 1955, yet none of them ever took US citizenship. This is why I do not consider myself a citizen of this country. I was just born here. I have no family here, minus a few cousins that still live around Scranton. Oh, and a brother in D.C.)

I’d rather have a beer bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.