DCGoth

Participant

@JBear

You make some good points; however, as you notice, and I’ve mentioned previously, my writing is dark. Places like this are the only avenues I have to practice Parody and Satire.

What began as a joking reference to Yoda and the Star Wars films quickly went the way of Philip K. Dick, and such things as “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep”, (aka Blade Runner in film), “Minority Report”, “The Man in the High Castle”, and “A Scanner Darkly”. As such, the darkness took over and I fell into my writing standards of conflict, dystopia, and an ending that is left open, kinda like the way “A Scanner Darkly” ends. Which, btw, was very prophetic in its own right, as pretty much 95% or more of that book, originally science fiction, is now fact.

(Quick synopsis of “A Scanner Darkly”. The main character, Bob Arctor is what by today’s standards would be a DEA Agent. He is tasked with monitoring a house, through video and audio surveillance. His target, a person in the Drug Trade, Bob Arctor. He’s surveilling himself without realising he is watching himself, due to the massive amounts of “D” he’s using. (The drug in the book is referred to as Death, or D. It really is a fun read.)) One of my favourite segments from the novel and resulting film: “What does a scanner see? Down into the heart? Does it see into me? Into us? Clearly or Darkly? I hope it sees clearly because I can’t any longer see into myself. I see only murk. I hope for everyone’s sake the scanners do better, because if the scanners sees only Darkly, the way I do, then I’m cursed and cursed again and will only wind up dead this way, knowing very little and getting that little fragment wrong, too.”

The most powerful part of that book was the Author’s Afterward, where he explains his motivation and where his head was at when he wrote the novel. It was one of the last things he wrote before he died. It is less science fiction and more a societal commentary on the Drug Culture of the 60s and his part in it. In the afterward, he writes: “I am not a character in this novel. I am this novel.” In his observations of life during that period of time, along with the happiness mixed with the loss, he really did, IMHO, an incredible job at putting the reader / viewer directly into the head of the protagonist. Now, to go a little deeper, as anyone with degrees in English would, the question is: “How do you trust the actions, reactions, and interactions of a protagonist with you are faced with an unreliable narrator?” As a reader, is viewer, a story plays out before you as depicted by either a physical narrator, or, as in film, it is usually done through scene, setting, and the creation of mood and effect. When you have an unreliable narrator, like Faulkner likes to use, and also exists in Ethan Frome, (by Edith Wharton), then your personal interpretation has to take this uncertainty into account in the evaluation of the story presented before you. Yet I digress. Even though my degrees are in writing, I took as many, if not more courses for Lit majors, as it really does give you so much more insight into the evaluation as well as the writing of any work of literature or film, fiction or non-fiction.

Wow, what a tangent. You posted some interesting questions, though, so I wanted to attempt a considerate response. As far as to shut it where dark, tbh, I’m not really certain other than to say that that is my comfort zone and what I enjoy.

The toughest part was trying to be vague about the Star Wars references, as I’ve never actually watched any in the films. As a result, my knowledge of the Star Wars saga is extremely limited. I don’t even know the names of any of the characters, other than Yoda, and I only know that because of some television commercial years ago. I also am only aware that May 4th is a thing because I have season tickets to the Clearwater Threshers, and each May 4th, they hold a “Star Wars Night” event. It’s fun; however, about 98% of what everyone is doing is lost on me.

I’ll add a one minute clip of “A Scanner Darkly”, showing the one comment from above in a separate post.

Side note: Yes, I incorrectly reference films and novels in this board. The rule is: Novels and films are italicised, while short stories and other smaller works are restrained in quotations. I also knowingly abuse the proper use of parentheticals; however, since this is just an Off-Topic subsection of a BBS, I don’t beat myself up over it. 😎

If I had any real common sense, I would’ve pursued a JD and not an MFA.

I’d rather have a beer bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.