Roy

Participant

Freedom Fries

Wikipedia: Freedom fries was a politically motivated renaming for French fries in the United States. The term was created in February 2003 in a North Carolina restaurant, and was widely publicized a month later when the then Republican Chairman of the Committee on House Administration, Bob Ney, renamed the menu item in three Congressional cafeterias. The political renaming occurred in context of France’s opposition to the proposed invasion of Iraq….

I would have to think that Libertarians would embrace cancel culture and boycotts, because they are ways to get things done without government involvement. Perhaps JBear can speak on that.

Personally, I think it goes too far when you want everyone to get fired or resign. It depends on how major it is, whether the person continues the behavior, if they’ve had chances or warnings before.

For Cuomo, I’m not sure he should just quit the governor’s job based on what I’ve heard about. He has definitely done something wrong, as he has said inappropriate things to people who he is a superior to. He needs to be held accountable in some way, but I don’t think he should quit over it unless there is more to the story than what we’ve heard. The more serious issue is the issue of underreporting the nursing home deaths. That could be a cause for resigning depending on how that actually played out. There should be a full investigation into that.

But my opinion goes for Republicans and everyone else. Someone like Harvey Weinstein who was a serial bad actor should get everything that’s coming to him including being fired and put in jail. He used his power to force women into having sex with him. That’s at a different level than making inappropriate comments. So I think you have to take it on a case by case basis and not just automatically fire everyone who makes a mistake.