spartan

Participant

More

https://www.socialworkers.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=GjXJr6rDzss%3D&portalid=0

“ Reimagining Policing: Strategies
for Community Reinvestment
Pre-Arrest Diversion; and Innovative
Approaches to 911 Emergency Responses”

I’ve seen this particular ” months ago. Like most of them, they say a lot and propose nothing concrete.

“Raise awareness of implicit bias among police leaders and officers.”

When someone is resisting arrest how the f*ck is that going to help?

3. “Put policies in place to limit the impact of bias.”

The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department evaluated their use-of-force data and identified a specific interaction that was resulting in excessive force: foot pursuits, especially with young men of color. They made a simple policy tweak that proved to be enormously effective: if you are the pursuing officer, you are not the same officer that puts the handcuffs on the suspect. In making this
policy change, the department reduced use of force incidents that occurred following a pursuit by 23 percent.

Any details on why this was? No. But knowing a little about the subject I’m going to take a guess. Most “foot pursuits” are engaged in by the first officer on the scene and he is invariably alone. Knowing that if he catches the offender he cannot cuff him, he is probably going to be in a 5 minute fight until backup arrives, that is if he can a message off on his radio that he needs help. So he/she thinks f*ck it.

The number of times I have heard “back up required, backup required” by a cop screaming his head off for help but can’t get back to his radio to say where he is because he needs both hands to defend himself ….

There have been many times where we have found a cops car but not the cop, and then we hear a panting officer stating suspect detained and gives his location …