mdbuc

Participant

The guy has only had two years of starting and he put up major numbers in year 2. That’s the definition of upside to me. Some people are just late bloomers. Low risk high reward for sure.

Is he gonna be our starting qb of the future for the long haul? If we all had to put money on it probably not but I have no problem taking the chance in the position we are currently in. He has some upside and has Brady to learn from. Like I said worse situations to be in and I think the luxury position the team is in afforded us the ability to take a chance on a project. If he works out great we don’t have to invest in a qb. If he doesn’t work out I’m not really gonna lose sleep over it. This whole draft we were looking for depth. How much is any player we choose in this draft going to play this year. How much do they normally play when choosing from that 32 spot position? Maybe you can get a guy or two from there but I doubt it’s a very high number and mostly depth guys. Why not take a shot on a guy to maybe be your qb of the future without having to invest a whole lot.

Exactly, it’s a luxury pick and if he ends up being a backup then so be it. You can’t expect much else when you draft a non-top QB.

If you want a laugh, look at this article where they rank the top 60 QBs drafted in round 1 since 2000. After 20 it gets ugly(think Mark Sanchez, Freeman, Kyle Boller). It’s basically 1 in 3 that you’ll pick a good QB in R1. The best current guys that were picked outside of the top 10 this century are Lamar Jackson, Rodgers, Deshaun Watson then there’s a huge drop off.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/ranking-every-nfl-quarterback-drafted-first-round-since-2000/16obdsowna7kk1gnhl9iqrp2pg/2

We’re going to be picking in the late 20s at best in the next draft, and maybe the next two drafts, so a QB at 64 is a much better value than a QB picked between picks 15 and 32. Had to be someone, and this year Trask is our guy. And who’s to say we don’t draft another QB next year?