Re: Re: Jalen Ramsey 2014

Anonymous
Inactive

I'm sorry but having a projected SAFETY grade lower because he cannot shed blocks is one the dumbest (censored) I ever heard in my life. Ramsey is a free safety in the NFL. You spent 3 paragraphs talking about the same issue with him. You mean a 6'2 205 pound safety is having trouble disengaging from blockers?!?! Wow, huge surprise! Sounds like 90% of the FS's in the NFL. The kid can cover and is an excellent athlete in space and will be a special centerfielder in the league barring injury.Earl Thomas is not a run enforcer and I'd take him top 10 all day every day. There's simply not enough good coverage safeties in the NFL to nitpick at things like "shedding blocks". If your FS has to shed a block then by design you failed yourself as a defensive coordinator.

Yeah I wasn't grading his "projected position". I was grading the actual film that I watched where he was a nickel corner. And it is precisely why I projected him as a safety in the write up. Stay with me here Det and try not to get your garnet and gold panties in such a bunch.We are all vary familiar with the position because Ronde Barber played it very well for years in Tampa Bay. Ronde Barber was very comfortable in traffic and he was nearly unblockable which is the big difference between these two players if you were to compare them. Ronde Barber avoided blocks. He was a genius in traffic. This is not Ramsey's strong suit. I would like to see more film of him at safety so I can grade him playing safety. He was only playing safety for a handful of plays in those games. But you can't discount the fact that he has this problem shedding blocks. The NFL is a physical game and I prefer players that are physically dominating at the college level. Jalen Ramsey is not. He is a very good player but he may be a tad bit overrated.

Not even close to a Noles fan. I'm actually a Gators fan but I call a spade a spade and live with it. I was high on Winston and am on Ramsey and it has nothing to do with being a fan of that school.You comparing Barber a veteran NFL player (borderline HOF) to a 20 y/o sophomore is a reach. Barber didn't exactly light the world on fire his first few years into the league and was limited athletically. However, he did get coached up the technique to avoid blocks years later. I don't see how Ramsey can't improve in that area the same way Barber did. Today's game doesn't require a "physical dominating safety" in the league to stop the pass. To defend the pass you can't physically dominate anybody anymore. You literally have to be in position to make plays in the pass game to win games. Stopping the run is becoming obsolete - its a passing game now. Hell we had our "physically dominating safety" in Mark Barron and I don't remember you beating on his drum to keep him. Nor do I recall anybody or yourself big on Barron at safety.

No votes yet.
Please wait...