2010 draft 10 years later in retrospect

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    JC5100
    Participant

The draft that kicked off one of the worst decades in football history

Round 1 pick 3 Gerald McCoy
    Bucs are stuck here because they can’t trade out if they wanted to because these rookie contracts were so big.
    What they should have done: trade down
    Who they should have taken if they couldn’t trade down: Earl Thomas or JPP
    Grade: C

Round 2: The disaster
    Bucs are sitting pretty with picks #35 and #42.
    Pick 35: There are some great players that went late 1st round: Dez Bryant, Demaryious Thomas and Devin McCourty. Bucs could have made a move up for Thomas because they were desperate for a WR. The pick is Brian Price. I admit I liked Price as a player but had no idea about his off field personality. Grade: F

But it somehow gets worse….
    After pissing away pick 35 the Bucs inexplicably move up from 42 to 39 to take Arrelious Benn. Bucs pass on Gronkowski, Carlos Dunlap, Sean Lee, Golden Tate and Linval Joseph here.

You have to think the Bucs would have been able to package 35 and 42 here to move up for Thomas or Bryant, but I guess they had Benn in the same grade range? Grade: F-

Round 3 pick 67
    Myron Lewis. Morgan Burnett, Emmanuel Sanders,Jimmy Graham, Everson Griffen go after. Grade: F

Round 4 pick 101
    Caveman Gang. On the surface it looked good. But you soon realize why he was thrown off or quit Syracuse. Arrested for DUI as a rookie but went unscathed. As soon as he got his payday he became a rapper and was soon out of the league. Geno Atkins and Kam Chancellor go soon after.
    Grade: C

Round 6 pick 172
    Brent Bowden, F-

Round 7 homeruns
    Cody Grimm, Dekoda Watson and Erik Lorig were great 7th round picks. Doesn’t make up for the clusterfuck in the first 6.

+4
    Rating: 0. From 8 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This topic was modified 5 months ago by JC5100.
    • This topic was modified 5 months ago by JC5100.

Detrimental
    Participant

I remember this draft pretty well because I wanted Bucs to draft Golden Tate so bad. Instead we took Rejus Benn who was nowhere NEAR the WR Tate was in college. Price had conditioning issues at UCLA and his snap count for a starter was pretty low. Then his hip injury caused him to lose his career.

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...
    RHBucsFan
    Participant

Thanks for posting this thread. People always say it’s too early to judge draft picks, so this quiets all those critics.

This draft was a complete disaster, like most of them have been for the past 15 years with this franchise. I swear, you’ve got to search far and wide to find me 2 more inept consecutive GM’s draft record than Dominick + Licht.

+2
    Rating: +1. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by RHBucsFan.
    DerekPHFD
    Participant

Man didn’t we sign Blount as and UDFA this year too. I remember thinking Freeman, Blount, Williams, Benn and Winslow were going to take our offense to new heights lol

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...
    JC5100
    Participant

Man didn’t we sign Blount as and UDFA this year too. I remember thinking Freeman, Blount, Williams, Benn and Winslow were going to take our offense to new heights lol

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

Not quite. Blount signed with the Titans but was released.

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...
    Live4BUCS
    Participant

I would love to see this for the 2012 draft when we took Mark Barron over Luke Keuchly. I’ve never been so pissed at a draft pick before in my life.

+4
    Rating: +3. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...
    JC5100
    Participant

I would love to see this for the 2012 draft when we took Mark Barron over Luke Keuchly. I’ve never been so pissed at a draft pick before in my life.

+4
    Please wait...

The Schiano drafts actually weren’t terrible. Think he would have had success here if they didn’t pull the carpet out from him.

+2
    Rating: +1. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    Pepsi
    Participant

This was always an example to
    Me of pure bad luck and chance. This draft was an A+ on draft day. It was an amazing haul imo. Brian Price and Mccoy was an immediate fix to the weakest part of our team at the time. Mccoy battles injury early on, and price had a serious injury mixed with family issues that screwed up his mind. Pure bad luck. Benn injury issues and mike Evans was a stud until he got paid. I really never failed MD for this draft class busting. He drafted fantastic here and it just blew up in his face because luck is a factor

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...
    RHBucsFan
    Participant

Pepsi, lots of blue chippers and some
    HOF players passed up in that draft. Looked like garbage then and now.

+1
    Rating: -2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...
    JC5100
    Participant

Pepsi, lots of blue chippers and some
    HOF players passed up in that draft. Looked like garbage then and now.

+1
    Rating: -2. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

Yea 2010 was a great draft, Bucs had a ton of draft capital (maybe the most?) and threw up on themselves.

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...
    TBayXXXVII
    Participant

I would love to see old posts from people claiming how great that draft was.

+1
    Please wait...
    X
    Spectator

I wanted Tate as well. And I despised the Barron pick. Bucs needed so much and they draft a safety who couldn’t cover. Terrible dark days. I did like Price but I thought it was his hip that was more of an issue than his personality. Never was a fan of Cody Grimm either. But for seventh round? Sure. Great backup. Nice INT against Pittsburgh.

I remember this draft pretty well because I wanted Bucs to draft Golden Tate so bad. Instead we took Rejus Benn who was nowhere NEAR the WR Tate was in college. Price had conditioning issues at UCLA and his snap count for a starter was pretty low. Then his hip injury caused him to lose his career.

+3
    Rating: +1. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

Rating: -1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

+4
    Please wait...

will never forget this, I was so pissed, I remember people saying that we had mason foster so we didn’t need keuchly, which was even more infuriating

+1
    Please wait...
    dexmonkey
    Participant

+4
    Please wait...

will never forget this, I was so pissed, I remember people saying that we had mason foster so we didn’t need keuchly, which was even more infuriating

+1
    Please wait...

yup

we could have had Kuechly and David as our LBs……………………..

Please wait...

+4
    Please wait...

+1
    Please wait...

yup

we could have had Kuechly and David as our LBs……………………..

Please wait...

Yeah, I gotta say, it may end up working out for us but I was pissed as well when we could’ve had Aaron Donald, Derwin James, and Josh Allen, but I do love me some Mike Evans now, and Vita and Devin look good so far too.

+1
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.