Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• GoldsonAges

Participant

I am prematurely assigning grades to each teams first three picks from the 2014 NFL draft. There is a method to my madness however. This grading is based on how I feel about these players and their ability to transition to the NFL. My grading system is simple. If you picked a 1st rounder who was great value you got an A. In the second and third rounds a typical good pick only gets a B grade. You have to find great value to score an A after the 1st round because there arent that many A players left at that point. So, lets see who had the best draft in the NFC South.Atlanta- Overall B. 6 - Matthews. Great pick if you ask me. Safest pick in entire draft and fills a need. A37 Hageman. They filled a need and got a good player. B68- Southward. Obviously this fills a need but this is not exactly BPA at this point. CThe Falcons have made themselves much better. They addressed the major issues in the trenches and secondary. Good way to start their draft. They get a solid B.Carolina- Overall B28- Benjamin. They reached for a need but player has huge upside. B60- Ealy. They got one of the top DE's in a weak year. C.92- Turner. Here they knock one out of the park. Turner is an athletic guard who may be the best in this class. ACarolina started out sluggish with the first two picks but that is to be expected when you are picking at the end of the rounds.New Orleans- Overall F.20- Cooks. The Saints traded up to no.20 to grab a midget. This is terrible. They drafted a 190 pound WR in the 1st round and gave up their last premium pick to do so. F58- Jean-Baptiste. In another head scratcher the Saints take a CB in round 2. They reach on a mediocre player with great size at CB. Reminiscent of the Myron Lewis pick for the Bucs. D3rd rounder traded for midget. FThe Saints were on crack. Do they have issues with pass catchers? Are they desperate for a slot WR? What on Earth made them trade away a 3rd in this draft for a 190 pound WR? Heaven only knows but as a Buc fan I am delighted. Tampa Bay- Overall B.7- Evans. BPA and position of need gets an A. 38- ASJ. This pick should help out the offense. ASJ upgrades the position immensely. B69- Sims. This one was a big head scratcher. Everyone was expecting an OG to be the pick but the Bucs went with another offensive weapon. C.Obviously, our main focus was to bring in playmakers who could contribute right away. We still have huge question marks regarding the OL. Specifically, our guards. All up this draft should help to make for a more competitive NFC South as NO lost ground and ATL and TB addressed needs. Carolina needed to draft about 4 WR's. They will be in the cellar regardless of how good their defense is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good post, I agree. The Saints pulled a WTF and then a WTF??!??It was very odd.I'm still not sold on the Sims pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our draft influenced the rest of the south IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am prematurely assigning grades to each teams first three picks from the 2014 NFL draft. There is a method to my madness however. This grading is based on how I feel about these players and their ability to transition to the NFL.

Ahh, kool. I was reluctant to read it as i thought it would be based on the midgetness of the selections!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I completely disagree with your ranking. Atlanta is no where near as good a team as they were 2 years ago. What made Atlanta good on offense was having three legitimate targets. That offense is going to be nowhere near the same without Gonzalez to move the chains and distract safeties. The best player on their defense over the last few years has been Babineaux, and they're basically throwing him away going to a 3-4. They have no one that can rush the passer. I know these picks wouldn't have been as "safe," but if they would have taken Anthony Barr in the 1st and ASJ in the 2nd, and addressed Tackle in Free Agency, I'd consider them a threat in the NFC South. No way I see them winning the division with that group. I like both the players they got, but they are building block players, not players that help you win now. D Grade IMO.Who knows what the hell Carolina is doing. They have no WR's, and in possibly the deepest WR draft ever they only take 1, and that one being a guy with questionable explosion numbers? Ealy is boom or bust, and isn't a guy who is going to help the team much early. At least they tried to improve their secondary late in the draft, but that team has too many holes and isn't doing Cam any favors. Almost like they don't want him to look good in a contract year. F Grade IMO.New Orleans on the other hand got the most explosive player in the draft, and a CB who can come in and contribute against the bigger WR's in the division right away, Then they got good value in the rest of the draft, plus an undrafted WR who may be able to contribute early in the Rutgers kid. A Grade IMO.Our draft gets talked about in enough other threads, but I'm so excited for the players Lovie and Licht have brought in. Sims may prove to be the steal of the draft. Evans and ASJ probably have more bust potential than Sims, IMO, but if they and when they play to their potential Bucs are going to be one of the best offenses in the league. A+ draft. A+ off season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Saints had a nice draft. Getting Cooks was a good idea for them. Atlanta had a solid offseason altogether like we did. I think they will take a step forward but not sure how much. Getting Jones back is huge for them. Carolina had a weird draft. Went for need in round one and then BPA in Ealy when they really didn’t need a DE. It will be a tough division once again. We improved but not sure how much. May be too much new to handle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The bucs brought arguably the two best players in their positions from college, home. It was need/firepower all in the same strike.We improved greatly with those additions. I wanted manziel, but damn if I'm going to argue against evans and asj.We seriously have some giants among men with our wideout group now. It's actually ridiculous if you think about it.Atlanta is quickly falling apart and their picks may not save them. They will be a .500 team, at best.The saints have had more time under their defensive system now, and their offense, worth it or not, is more deadly with cooks. He might not be the end all, but the saints now have a trio of pretty good wr's.And idk wtf the panthers are doing. My god, is that team going to miss it's wideouts..The only team in the division who certainly improved is the bucs. The rest have "evened out" so to speak.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Saints had a nice draft. Getting Cooks was a good idea for them. Atlanta had a solid offseason altogether like we did. I think they will take a step forward but not sure how much. Getting Jones back is huge for them. Carolina had a weird draft. Went for need in round one and then BPA in Ealy when they really didn't need a DE. It will be a tough division once again. We improved but not sure how much. May be too much new to handle.

I would definitely agree that ATL had a solid offseason signing Tyson Jackson and Jon Asamoah then drafting Matthews and Hageman. That will help them out upfront big time. They addressed secondary and RB in the draft too. I see them as a 8-10 win team. Carolina has no WR's and Cam had late offseason surgery after they released Steve Smith. He will not be ready ... mentally, or physically. He is about to have a Josh Freeman odd year (see 2011 and 2013)New Orleans looks like they are poised to make another run but I dont think they will. They got rid of Sproles and Lance Moore and added Cooks. Cooks will more than likely not be a big contributor this year. If they do try to use him extensively, the chance for injury goes way up. That was the biggest head scratcher move of the entire draft for me. But IMO Cooks game speed is not nearly as good as his timed speed. He just doesnt run away from anyone. He had a few Tavon Austin type plays in college ... plays that will never happen in the NFL for him. Take those plays away from him and all you are left with is a 5' 9" WR who will be below average in the NFL. Sorry college football fans ... but its true. Then they take a lanky CB who had no business being drafted in the 2nd round. All of the top cb's were off the board by the end of the 1st round and they apparently reached for him because they are drafting at the end of each round but holy hell did they screw the pooch with their first 3 picks. I am expecting all 3 of some teams first picks to contribute but they only got a midget WR and a project CB, neither of which is expected to contribute much. If I was using + and - they would have scored a F-.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Bucs improved the most so far this offseason but at the same time they needed the most improvement.  On paper we seem to have the makings of a fairly well rounded team but QB is still the one position that is going to hold the team back from ever being a serious contender.  Until Lovie finds his franchise QB, there’s going to be a limit on our success.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Jean-Baptiste was a panic move in reaction to the Dunkaneers. Gonna have to have big corners when you play Tampa bay now or you are going to get man-handled. V-jax already gave them fits when he was by himself.

Please wait…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.