Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 22 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Top 15 2014 NFL Draft Quarterback Prospects By Alex Whiteman October 31, 2013 8:51 am The 2014 quarterback draft class has undoubtedly some of the most talented passers we have seen in the last decade. Quarterbacks Teddy Bridgewater and Zach Mettenberg are bringing back the importance of a pocket passing quarterback, while electrifying athletes such as Johnny Manziel and Marcus Mariota are revolutionizing the quarterback position as a whole. While in 2013, rookies Geno Smith and EJ Manuel saw the spotlight, this year's class could see as many as six or seven signal callers under the bright lights in the National Football League. Teams should be excited for this year, and look to find a future franchise quarterback in this talented bunch.qb1_zps10422e38.jpg1. Teddy Bridgewater, Quarterback, Louisville Louisville has not had a rich tradition of producing successful NFL quarterbacks, or any NFL talent at all for that matter. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater is the clear cut exception to this stereotype.Bridgewater enters the league at 6'3" and 196 pounds. Some NFL scouts may nit-pick at his weight as a possible flaw in his game; preposterous. The signal caller may not have the size of Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, or Josh Freeman, but he certainly exceeds them all in passing ability.Working with sub par talent his whole career at Louisville, Bridgewater has made a name for himself as the Peyton Manning of college football today. Bridgewater is extremely intelligent at the line of scrimmage, and will take advantage of any miscue on any defense he faces. If there's one thing NFL teams don't have to worry about, it's his intelligence and know-how on where to go with the football. qb2_zps713d9529.jpg2. Marcus Mariota, Quarterback, Oregon The only other quarterback that could possible overtake Teddy Bridgewater for the No. 1 spot, is Eugene, Oregon's pride and joy, Marcus Mariota. Mariota has tremendous size at 6'4 212 pounds, and has complete control of his huge frame, despite being just 20 years old. Oregon's up-tempo offense benefits from Mariota's blazing speed, clocking a 4.42 40-yard dash, only sure to improve by February's NFL Combine. While Mariota is an exceptional athlete, his passing ability is far underrated. Despite running a spread option offense, the Oregon quarterback can make all the throws down the field and more. Limiting an NFL playbook for the Hawaii native is unnecessary, and can provide an in-depth knowledge of calling the plays at the line. While transitioning to a spread offense in the pros would prove to be an easier move for Mariota, it does not hold him back whatsoever. A questionable characteristic of Mariota is his on the field leadership, which fails to be present on and off the field. While saying all the right things in interviews, there just seems to be something missing when it comes to his demeanor between his teammates. We see this fault carry over with Minnesota Vikings' quarterback Josh Freeman. Hopefully this outgrows the young signal caller as he leaps forward with his career. qb3_zpscc2832ff.jpg3. Tajh Boyd, Quarterback, Clemson Tajh Boyd is the dark horse candidate this year at quarterback position, much like Russell Wilson was two years ago. Boyd possesses many of the traits representative of an under the radar quarterback, and will be out to prove his worth come draft day.The four-year Clemson superstar has seen his ups and downs throughout his senior season, but despite this, still manages to use the physical tools to play excellent football. A key characteristic to Russell Wilson's game is escape-ability in the pocket, and vision down-field. Not only does Boyd posses these qualities, he dominates them. Boyd is generously listed at 6'1", but is really borderline 6'0, which of course raises some eyebrows among the NFL scouting community. If Drew Brees and Russell Wilson have not disproved this ridiculous theorem to you by now, then hopefully Tajh Boyd will. Height will have next to no factor in Boyd's game, as he has excellent pocket awareness, and finds passing lanes every time he fires the ball down-field.Although Boyd may be drafted in the mid rounds, he will be a top three quarterback among this class, and will become an excellent player down the stretch in the NFL.qb4_zps563c591c.jpg4. Zach Mettenberger, Quarterback, LSU  If we were ranking quarterbacks on physical arm talent, LSU's Zach Mettenberger would top the list. Mettenberger has superior arm strength, and can make every single throw an NFL coach will ask of him. The question is, can he corral and refine this arm strength into accurate footballs.Last year, Mettenberger saw a majority of his passes well off the mark, whether due to poor footwork, or arm mechanics. The good news is, the LSU quarterback has seemed to have figured it out over the last nine games of the 2013 NCAA season. Being 6'5", 235 pounds has it's advantages, and will put a plus column next to "potential" for NFL scouts undoubtedly. Mettenberger has a chance to be a special passer in the NFL, and could be the best when it is all said and done. The LSU star is one of the few quarterbacks in the country who represents true pocket passing as a mantra.qb5_zpsd00853e4.jpg5. Johnny Manziel, Quarterback, Texas A&M Johnny Manziel should not be a successful NFL quarterback. Everything about "Johnny Football" says failure at the next level, yet at the same time, it doesn't. Texas A&M's phenom quarterback was a sensation since the day he stepped on to the field as a freshman, and hasn't looked back since. Manziel's stats are outstanding, and his plays mind-boggling. That being said, there is still much doubt concerning his NFL future. Manziel lacks the needed mechanics to make the throws necessary at the next level. He also is without the proper footwork in the pocket, and will often mis-diagnosis the defense. This spells out Tim Tebow with burning letters, yet, the nation wants to believe otherwise. Similar to LSU's Tyrann Mathieu, some players are just impossible to predict. One can only hope that Manziel's collegiate success transfers to the NFL level, but at the same time, we could be very well witnessing the next huge bust of our generation. qb6_zps3ad2656a.jpg6-15 6. Brett Hundley, QB, UCLA7. Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State8. Stephen Morris, QB, Miami9. Kevin Hogan, QB, Stanford10. AJ McCarron, QB, Alabama11. Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia12. David Fales, QB, San Jose State13. Bryn Renner, QB, North Carolina14. Keith Price, QB, Washington15. Jeff Matthews, QB, Cornellhttp://www.footballnation.com/content/top-15-2014-nfl-draft-quarterback-prospects/26297/

Please wait…

• Bucman

Participant

lol @ this list after #2/.

Please wait…

• Skull and Bones

Participant

What’s the story on Mariota ‘s demeanor?

Please wait…

• SCLOBERNOCKER

Participant

Id be happy with any of the top 3.And by top 3, I mean the "real" top 3, not this idiots ranking from when Boyd looked like a competent QB. Guy is a distaster waiting to happen.Gimme Bridgewater/Mariota/Manziel and Im a happy man.

Please wait…

• bradentonian

Participant

Where is Bortles?

Please wait…

• jerseybucsfan

Participant

Id be happy with any of the top 3.And by top 3, I mean the "real" top 3, not this idiots ranking from when Boyd looked like a competent QB. Guy is a distaster waiting to happen.Gimme Bridgewater/Mariota/Manziel and Im a happy man.

I might use this post as my new sig. That’s how I feel precisely. Love Hundley, but for 2015. Doubt he comes out. No to Boyd, period.

Please wait…

• mgchat76

Participant

What's the story on Mariota 's demeanor?

He's kind of a quiet, stoic guy unlike Manziel who is fired up all the time. Not a bad thing, but after years of Freeman and now Glennon I'm hoping to root for the more outwardly passionate player.  I wouldn't call it a weakness on Mariota's part, though.

Please wait…

• meatwad4343

Participant

i just fear for any qb we draft, especially a smaller one like manziel. our oline is going to kill whoever we get.

Please wait…

• Richie Cartman

Participant

Not sure why some drafts still have Boyd so high.

Please wait…

• JDouble

Participant

Boyd #3 and Manziel being compared to Tebow was enough for me to stop reading. Wish I could get paid for writing crap like this.

Please wait…

• Richie Cartman

Participant

Boyd #3 and Manziel being compared to Tebow was enough for me to stop reading. Wish I could get paid for writing crap like this.

People knew before Tebow was drafted that he couldn't throw.Manziel can make those throws so the comparison is ridiculous.

Please wait…

• youngone

Participant

He's kind of a quiet, stoic guy unlike Manziel who is fired up all the time. Not a bad thing, but after years of Freeman and now Glennon I'm hoping to root for the more outwardly passionate player.  I wouldn't call it a weakness on Mariota's part, though.

They've been saying that from the start of the year as a knock on him but honestly I don't see it... He's stoic and not the rah rah type of QB but I always see him talking up his guys.

Please wait…

• meatwad4343

Participant

They've been saying that from the start of the year as a knock on him but honestly I don't see it... He's stoic and not the rah rah type of QB but I always see him talking up his guys.

doesn't really bother me either. let your on field play do the talking. ronde wasn't that vocal guy either and he still did just fine. you get it done on the field and you'll earn your teammates respect.

Please wait…

• Skull and Bones

Participant

Don’t they say the same thing about Bridgewater ?

Please wait…

• CaptainStagger

Participant

Hmmmm do we want Mariota’s body, Bridgewaters Brain, and Manziel’s heart.,,,,,

Please wait…

• mgchat76

Participant

I agree.  I do think that with the Tampa fanbase being so disinterested a guy like Manziel may be able to put butts in the seats a lot sooner than Mariota.  Once Mariota started putting up some wins and making some big plays the fans would likely start to trickle back in, though.  I don't think the Bucs could go wrong either way.

Please wait…

• SCLOBERNOCKER

Participant

People knew before Tebow was drafted that he couldn't throw.Manziel can make those throws so the comparison is ridiculous.

So true.Thats what amazes me the most about Manziel to be honest. The guy will scramble and make a throw that is clearly not taught. Im talkin cross body, back foot, and side armed. Theres no way it should be a good pass. Yet somehow he manages to put zip on it and get it PRECISELY where it needed to be. I dont know how he does it, but I want some of that.Watch TAMU vs Auburn from a few weeks ago to see the back foot side arm beauty.

Please wait…

• EricPage#1Receiver

Participant

As long as you can throw the football well and read a defense, then you can be my quarterback. Who the heck cares if they’re a loud mouthed guy? Freeman's problem is that he couldn't throw the football accurately, and couldn't really read a defense, and that wouldn't have changed if he had any kind of confidence or leadership skills.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

Agree to an extent. Aikman wasn’t ever a fiery leader type. Irvin was the leader on that team. You need a leader, usually that is the QB, but it doesn’t need to be. My question is do we have anyone on offense who can be a leader?

Please wait…

• Dolorous Jason

Participant

Boyd is more like Tebow than Manziel is.

Please wait…

• SCLOBERNOCKER

Participant

Boyd is Freeman 2.0 in my book

Please wait…

• sammich

Participant

Hmmmm do we want Mariota's body, Bridgewaters Brain, and Manziel's heart.,,,,,

Get me a scalpel, I have an idea.

Please wait…

• Dolorous Jason

Participant

Boyd is Freeman 2.0 in my book

If he becomes an anorexic 175 pill popper who also loses all his speed , then yes.

Please wait…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.