Viewing 52 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

2014 Stat Predictions for All 32 Starting Quarterbacks in the NFLBy Alessandro Miglio , Featured Columnist Jul 9, 2014 qb1_zps9b2c125d.png Nam Y. Huh/Associated Press Quarterbacks are everything in the NFL.Of course, it's a team game, but quarterbacks get the lion's share of the glory or the blame. A new season brings new chances to succeed or fail, and there will be plenty of statistics to go around.qb3_zps9f32f2b8.pngAtlanta Falcons—Matt RyanLast season was a lost one for quarterback Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons. Preseason Super Bowl hype fizzled as the defense faltered and Ryan fell on his back all too often. The five-year veteran was sacked 44 times thanks to shoddy offensive line play that was adversely affected by injury. Drafting Jake Matthews and getting Sam Baker back from said injury should be a big boost to that unit.Even so, it wasn't a terrible season from a statistical standpoint. Despite losing his top two receivers for extended periods of time, Ryan finished with 4,515 passing yards and 26 touchdowns. His efficiency took a huge hit—he went from 7.7 yards per attempt in 2012 to 6.9 last season—but that is unsurprising given his circumstances.Julio Jones and Roddy White are back, however. If they can stay healthy and the offensive line solidifies, Ryan's production should improve along with the rest of the offense. Passing Projection: 66 percent completion, 4,600 yards, 31 touchdowns, 14 interceptionsRushing Projection: 20 carries, 75 yardsqb6_zpsbb29a15d.pngCarolina Panthers—Cam NewtonIt has been a bit of a rough offseason for the Carolina Panthers offense.Cap space was limited, so general manager David Gettleman was forced to make some difficult roster decisions. Namely, longtime starting receiver Steve Smith was sent packing despite a relatively modest impact on the cap.Brandon LaFell and Ted Ginn Jr. were also allowed to walk, leaving the wide receiver corps thinner than the deteriorating polar ice cap. The Panthers relied on bargain bin free agents and the NFL draft to fill the void, signing Jerricho Cotchery and selecting Kelvin Benjamin in the first round.Cotchery scored 10 touchdowns last season for the Pittsburgh Steelers, but that was more than double his touchdown count for his previous three seasons combined.Benjamin is a massive target at 6'5" and 243 pounds, but he was widely considered an overrated receiver coming out of college thanks to relatively lackluster production and lapses in concentration.Outside of problems at skill positions, Newton also lost his starting left tackle, Jordan Gross, to retirement. Despite being 34 years old, Gross was rated the third-best offensive tackle in the league by Pro Football Focus (subscription required) last season.The Panthers did nothing to replace him during the offseason, instead leaving the position open for competition among the current offensive linemen on the team. That figures to be unproven Nate Chandler.He won't have an awful season, but Newton's production will suffer given the offense got worse around him.Passing Projection: 61 percent completion, 3,750 yards, 22 touchdowns, 15 interceptionsRushing Projection: 125 carries, 550 yards, 7 touchdownsqb21_zpsfff37522.pngNew Orleans Saints—Drew BreesIn terms of statistics, no quarterback has been better over the past half decade than Drew Brees.Head coach Sean Payton's offense has been perfect for the diminutive quarterback, and he has been consistently great. Were it not for transcendent seasons from Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, Brees might have won an MVP award or two.Simply put, Brees is the most accurate quarterback in the league save, perhaps, Rodgers. He has the best pass-catching tight end in the league in Jimmy Graham, and Marques Colston, Kenny Stills and rookie Brandin Cooks make for a nice wide receiver corps.There is really no reason to believe he won't have another huge season.Passing Projection: 68 percent completion, 4,900 yards, 42 touchdowns, 11 interceptionsRushing Projection: 30 carries, 50 yards, 2 touchdownsqb31_zps42e5271c.pngTampa Bay Buccaneers—Josh McCownThe Tampa Bay Buccaneers have a quarterback battle on their hands this preseason, and the winner may not play out the entire season as the starter.Josh McCown was imported from Chicago, where new head coach Lovie Smith used to be his coach. The former Bear had a fantastic run as Jay Cutler's replacement last season, throwing 13 touchdowns to just one interception while posting a 109.0 passer rating in his five starts.The problem? McCown is a 35-year-old journeyman with zero history of success before last season's breakout. Even Rich Gannon had 90 career starts before Marc Trestman got ahold of him in 2001 and molded him into an MVP with the Oakland Raiders.McCown has 38 starts under his belt to date.Mike Glennon, meanwhile, enters his second season after a decent rookie year. That was under a different regime, but he should get a fair shake under Smith and offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford. It's likely that McCown enters the season as the starter and plays the majority of games, but it would be entirely unsurprising if Glennon overtook him at some point. Given McCown should start the majority of games, though—barring injury of course—his statistical projection wins out.Passing Projection: 60 percent completion, 2,650 yards, 11 touchdowns, 12 interceptionsRushing Projection: 10 carries, 40 yardsFor every QB.....link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can guarantee you Drew Brees and Matt Ryan will not outrush McCown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good lord. I sincerely hope they’re way off. I don’t see him going from 13 TDs and 1 INT last season to having more INTs than TDs this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good lord. I sincerely hope they're way off. I don't see him going from 13 TDs and 1 INT last season to having more INTs than TDs this year.

He throws picks, that's who he is.  Honestly, you can throw last year's #s out.  He's more than likely the QB he was in the previous years which is why these #s are probably more accurate than last years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I realize he’s always thrown picks and that last year he had two beastly WRs… his WRs definitely helped him put up big plays and numbers but that doesn’t tell the whole story, he was very effecient. One INT in 5 games is great.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I realize he's always thrown picks and that last year he had two beastly WRs... his WRs definitely helped him put up big plays and numbers but that doesn't tell the whole story, he was very effecient. One INT in 5 games is great.

Agreed and let's face it, these WR/TE should help any QB. Should be an interesting pre-season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The sad thing is regardless who starts for us this season; we have the worst QB in the division.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s pretty poor. I don’t see how McCown would go from being as good as he was last season to being that bad. He’s going to come down to Earth, but I expect him to be pretty close to Cam Newton’s projected passing numbers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell, here’s my guess…Passing Projection: 62 percent completion, 3,900 yards, 31 touchdowns, 8 interceptionsRushing Projection: 30 carries, 115 yards, 2 touchdowns

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's pretty poor. I don't see how McCown would go from being as good as he was last season to being that bad. He's going to come down to Earth, but I expect him to be pretty close to Cam Newton's projected passing numbers.

Maybe so.  Cam's has questionable receivers and we have a questionable OL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell, here's my guess...Passing Projection: 62 percent completion, 3,900 yards, 31 touchdowns, 8 interceptionsRushing Projection: 30 carries, 115 yards, 2 touchdowns

I would be ecstatic to see those numbers, regardless of who starts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hell, here's my guess...Passing Projection: 62 percent completion, 3,900 yards, 31 touchdowns, 8 interceptionsRushing Projection: 30 carries, 115 yards, 2 touchdowns

I would be ecstatic to see those numbers, regardless of who starts.

Indeed, those are playoff numbers with the team we have now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good lord. I sincerely hope they're way off. I don't see him going from 13 TDs and 1 INT last season to having more INTs than TDs this year.

He throws picks, that's who he is.  Honestly, you can throw last year's #s out. 

No you can't. It happened......he did that shlt!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s called “Let’s pull some numbers out of our ass and write an article”.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown or Glennon?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He throws picks, that's who he is.  Honestly, you can throw last year's #s out. 

No you can't. It happened......he did that shlt!!

He meant HE threw them out...He just thinks "he" is "we."But I guess we can throw out glennon's stats too, seeing how everything is different for him this season too?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would be one hell of a season for McCown.I think it's closer to this...Pass Proj: 61 percent, 3400, 25 TDs, 13 IntsRush Proj: 30 carries, 95 yds, 2 tds.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That would be one hell of a season for McCown.I think it's closer to this...Pass Proj: 61 percent, 3400, 25 TDs, 13 IntsRush Proj: 30 carries, 95 yds, 2 tds.

If Glennon wins the job he throws for more than 25 TDs and has fewer interceptions.  In fact,rushing #s aside,  you could play out those three games that he missed last season and those would be close to what he would have done last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Glennon wins the job he throws for more than 25 TDs and has fewer interceptions.  In fact,rushing #s aside,  you could play out those three games that he missed last season and those would be close to what he would have done last year.

Glennon is capable of posting those yards and TD/INT rate but the problem is how many passes it would take him to do it. Based on last year, it would take McCown 416 pass attempts to reach 3400 yards. It would take Glennon 542 pass attempts. That means with McCown you have 126 extra plays to do something else. If you ran the ball at an average of 4 yards per carry, that's an extra 504 yards of offense with McCown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon is capable of posting those yards and TD/INT rate but the problem is how many passes it would take him to do it. Based on last year, it would take McCown 416 pass attempts to reach 3400 yards. It would take Glennon 542 pass attempts. That means with McCown you have 126 extra plays to do something else. If you ran the ball at an average of 4 yards per carry, that's an extra 504 yards of offense with McCown.

basing it on last year is basing it on a completely different offense, but interesting point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

basing it on last year is basing it on a completely different offense, but interesting point.

The quote I responded to specifically said based on how Glennon played last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The quote I responded to specifically said based on how Glennon played last year.

Hopefully, the Bucs won't be limited to one decent but gimpy threat and some other marginal players in the passing game.  The Bears weren't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully, the Bucs won't be limited to one decent but gimpy threat and some other marginal players in the passing game.  The Bears weren't.

Unfortunately, that's who Glennon has been for a while. In 2013 in the NFL he had the #37 yards per attempt. In 2012 in college he had the #65 yards per attempt. In 2011 in college he had the #82 yards per attempt. He's never been a high efficiency passer, or at least since he was in high school.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unfortunately, that's who Glennon has been for a while. In 2013 in the NFL he had the #37 yards per attempt. In 2012 in college he had the #65 yards per attempt. In 2011 in college he had the #82 yards per attempt. He's never been a high efficiency passer, or at least since he was in high school.

He does well when he isn't being tasked with playing outside of reasonable expectations.  In November, he completed 70% of his passes... 7:1 TD:INT ratio... 119.7 passer rating...Why was that?  He threw 22 times per game, which is what a run first offense should be doing.  But, the running game had to do their part, too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He does well when he isn't being tasked with playing outside of reasonable expectations.  In November, he completed 70% of his passes... 7:1 TD:INT ratio... 119.7 passer rating...Why was that?  He threw 22 times per game, which is what a run first offense should be doing.  But, the running game had to do their part, too.

He was being asked to do something even a vet would have struggled with.  The above #s are more indicative of who he should be long term. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I believe Glennon can be a successful game manager, he’s not a guy who is going to give you 30+ TD’s and 4000+ yards.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I believe Glennon can be a successful game manager, he's not a guy who is going to give you 30+ TD's and 4000+ yards.

With these pieces I think he can.  He'll be allowed to really play the position with Tedford and I think the offense will thrive. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unfortunately you can't count on running the ball well in every game. Good teams know how to stop the run. You have to have a QB who can make plays when things break down. That's why Peyton Manning's team went to the Super Bowl and why Adrian Peterson's team went 5-10-1.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess the other 21 players on the field have nothing to do with it… /blue

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess the other 21 players on the field have nothing to do with it... /blue

Yes it's just a huge coincidence that the teams with the #1 and #5 passer rating played in the Super Bowl and the teams with the bottom 13 passer ratings all missed the playoffs. Keep focusing on the running game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s not lost on me that the team that won the Super Bowl ranked 2nd in rushing attempts and 31st in passing attempts… and had the best defense.Or, the team that had a middling defense and running game looked like crap despite their elite QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's not lost on me that the team that won the Super Bowl ranked 2nd in rushing attempts and 31st in passing attempts... and had the best defense.Or, the team that had a middling defense and running game looked like crap despite their elite QB.

Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin and Christine Michael combined to run the ball at a rate of 4.04 yards per carry. Bobby Rainey, Doug Martin, Mike James and Brian Leonard combined to run the ball at a rate of 3.95 yards per carry. There was virtually no difference in the efficiency of the Seattle and Tampa running games. The difference was Seattle had a much better passer and a QB who wasn't a statue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's not lost on me that the team that won the Super Bowl ranked 2nd in rushing attempts and 31st in passing attempts... and had the best defense.Or, the team that had a middling defense and running game looked like crap despite their elite QB.

Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin and Christine Michael combined to run the ball at a rate of 4.04 yards per carry. Bobby Rainey, Doug Martin, Mike James and Brian Leonard combined to run the ball at a rate of 3.95 yards per carry. There was virtually no difference in the efficiency of the Seattle and Tampa running games. The difference was Seattle had a much better passer and a QB who wasn't a statue.

Why you cherry picking?  The Seahawks ran the ball 89 more times than the Bucs did.  Their 2188 yards on 509 carries would have taken the Bucs 576 carries at 3.8 ypc... and it still could have worked out better than throwing the ball 32 times a game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seattle ran the ball 89 more times than the Bucs because they had a QB who could convert 3rd downs to prevent them from punting. If Seattle threw the ball as often as the Bucs did, they would have thrown for 4318 yards because Wilson is a gazillion times more efficient than Glennon and bad Freeman. Instead the Bucs only got 3186 yards because they weren't efficient.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seattle ran the ball 89 more times than the Bucs because they had a QB who could convert 3rd downs to prevent them from punting. If Seattle threw the ball as often as the Bucs did, they would have thrown for 4318 yards because Wilson is a gazillion times more efficient than Glennon and bad Freeman. Instead the Bucs only got 3186 yards because they weren't efficient.

It doesn't work that way.  Seattle had 4 more passing first downs than their opponents, 33 more by running the ball.Wilson had the same INT% as Glennon and threw for 9 more yards per game... for the Seahawks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Russell Wilson threw the ball 9 fewer times in 16 games than what Glennon did in 13 games yet threw for 749 more yards. Why are you arguing with me and trying to compare the QB who just won the Super Bowl to the one who just got benched in favor of a career journeyman?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Russell Wilson threw the ball 9 fewer times in 16 games than what Glennon did in 13 games yet threw for 749 more yards. Why are you arguing with me and trying to compare the QB who just won the Super Bowl to the one who just got benched in favor of a career journeyman?

Because, you don't seem to be able to comprehend the difference between the two individuals isn't that great... and that one played within the design of his offense, not all pass happy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The difference between those two players was enormous. Completion percentageWilson #12Glennon #26Yards per attemptWilson #4Glennon #37Pass efficiencyWilson #7Glennon #21That's why one of them held up the Lombardi trophy and one got benched for Josh McCown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dead wrong.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The difference between those two players was enormous. Completion percentageWilson #12Glennon #26Yards per attemptWilson #4Glennon #37Pass efficiencyWilson #7Glennon #21That's why one of them held up the Lombardi trophy and one got benched for Josh McCown.

More than one player held that trophy.  But, I have serious doubts that either McCown or Wilson would have done much under the same circumstances that Glennon faced as a rookie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

More than one player held that trophy.  But, I have serious doubts that either McCown or Wilson would have done much under the same circumstances that Glennon faced as a rookie.

Good QBs make bad situations into good situations. That's why they're good. As a rookie in 2012 on a team that went 7-9 the year before, 7-9 the year before that, 5-11 the year before that, and 4-12 the year before that, and had injured washed up Sidney Rice as his leading receiver, Wilson finished with the #8 completion percentage, #4 yards per attempt, and #4 passer rating. He's a really good player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wilson is a good QB when he’s throwing the ball at (or less) about 25 times per game.  His team has won 4 times in two years when he threw the ball 30 times or more in a game… with three of those wins coming in his second season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you want Glennon to throw the ball fewer times than he did last season? The Bucs had the worst offense in the entire NFL. If Glennon throws the ball less, that’s even fewer yards. The problem isn’t with Glennon’s pass attempts, it’s with his pass efficiency. He has a lousy completion percentage and even worse yards per attempt. In order to play the minimal passing game, you have to throw for a high completion percentage and high yards per attempt like Wilson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you want Glennon to throw the ball fewer times than he did last season? The Bucs had the worst offense in the entire NFL. If Glennon throws the ball less, that's even fewer yards. The problem isn't with Glennon's pass attempts, it's with his pass efficiency. He has a lousy completion percentage and even worse yards per attempt. In order to play the minimal passing game, you have to throw for a high completion percentage and high yards per attempt like Wilson.

You need to at least try to pay attention.  I want a run first offense to run the ball well... and when Glennon threw the ball 22 times per game as he did in November, the Bucs were hard to beat.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Running game is meaningless in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, you can’t count on running the ball well in every game. Defensive players get paid and go to Pro Bowls, too. They can stop a running game if they want to.Marshawn Lynch had six games with a 3.5 YPC or lower and six with 70 yards or less rushing. Week 1 @ Carolina: Wilson 115.7 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 43 yardsWeek 6 vs Ten: Wilson 98.5 passer rating, Lynch 21 car 77 yardsWeek 8 @ STL: Wilson 117.6 passer rating, Lynch 8 car 23 yardsWeek 11 vs Min: Wilson 151.4 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 54 yardsWeek 13 vs New Orleans: Wilson 139.6 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 45 yardsWeek 15 @ Giants: Wilson 86.3 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 47 yardsYour QB has to be able to play well when the running game isn't working. That's why people like Schiano get fired. That style of football doesn't work.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Running game is meaningless in the NFL.

Unless you are interested in winning the Super Bowl.  Then it appears to mean something.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

who'd have thunk it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because, you don't seem to be able to comprehend the difference between the two individuals isn't that great...

Whoa!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Again, you can't count on running the ball well in every game. Defensive players get paid and go to Pro Bowls, too. They can stop a running game if they want to.Marshawn Lynch had six games with a 3.5 YPC or lower and six with 70 yards or less rushing. Week 1 @ Carolina: Wilson 115.7 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 43 yardsWeek 6 vs Ten: Wilson 98.5 passer rating, Lynch 21 car 77 yardsWeek 8 @ STL: Wilson 117.6 passer rating, Lynch 8 car 23 yardsWeek 11 vs Min: Wilson 151.4 passer rating, Lynch 17 car 54 yardsWeek 13 vs New Orleans: Wilson 139.6 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 45 yardsWeek 15 @ Giants: Wilson 86.3 passer rating, Lynch 16 car 47 yardsYour QB has to be able to play well when the running game isn't working. That's why people like Schiano get fired. That style of football doesn't work.

Dude.....stop, pleeeeeeeease stop bringing actual facts to this discussion!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s not lost on me that the team that won the Super Bowl ranked 2nd in rushing attempts and 31st in passing attempts… and had the best defense.Or, the team that had a middling defense and running game looked like crap despite their elite QB.

Man, Calico, you have to stop bringing actual facts into the discussion...............

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pwnage. Calico wins.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never let a personal hatred get in the way of sound football decision making.  It will cost you lots of money and probably lots of sleep. 

Please wait…

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.