• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

Belgium – moderate group, Premier League All Star Team

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brazil’s to lose.  Home field is a big deal.

• dzejms

Participant

Argentina is the team to beat.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wake me up when Messi actually shows up.  Their best offensive weapons haven't been showing for up years...from Veron to Bastitua to Messi.  They have underwhelmed for decades.

• Anonymous

Inactive

You have to think Brazil at home.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brazil's to lose.  Home field is a big deal.

And they are pretty strong even without the HF advantage.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hard to bet against either Brasil or Argentina, but I will still go Belgium

• dzejms

Participant

Wake me up when Messi actually shows up.  Their best offensive weapons haven't been showing for up years...from Veron to Bastitua to Messi.  They have underwhelmed for decades.

I hear Maradonna has been coaching them up.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol

• Anonymous

Inactive

I put USA in my quarterfinals bracket, but Germany is too powerful and I’m taking Germany over Spain in the championship game.

• Anonymous

Inactive

my hope is that France wins, but they lost their best player. It’s gonna be tough

• Anonymous

Inactive

my hope is that France wins,

where are you from?

• Anonymous

Inactive

I only saw the highlights, did Brazil have the run of play?

• Anonymous

Inactive

[img]http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/06/12/dcb60f76653df8074ff6561766b53cb2.gif?1402608844[/img][img width=600 height=338]http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/06/12/dc842050f8d7a2388506e2be074ca741.gif?1402610434[/img]

• Anonymous

Inactive

awfulbtw, just from the highlights the Croatian goalkeeper had a nightmare.  The first goal was a missed hit strike from distance and he didn't get to it?  Granted it was right on the post, but there was not much behind it.  He also puts himself in position to save a weak PK but then doesn't make the save?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Understanding that these guys play at a skill level and intensity that the rest of the world could only dream of, a call like that would still have to fluck with your head.

• Anonymous

Inactive

especially at that point in the game

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mexico 1  Cameroon nil at 60:20Earlier,Mexico goal disallowed on a very bad offside call. No matter what sport, international competition is always marred by bad calls. Never fails.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Germany crushing Portugal. Also Portugal had a defender red carded so i gotta think that can only benefit USA.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Germany crushing Portugal. Also Portugal had a defender red carded so i gotta think that can only benefit USA.

do you know which defender?EDIT:  Just saw it. Pepe, pretty important player

• Anonymous

Inactive

Portugal just had another defender tweak a groin and get carried off. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

The German war machine knows no mercy. Go USA!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mannschaft will win it, they’ve been knocking on the door for awhile they will bust through this year

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we all know that for me to say anything other than Germany would be blasphemous. Man did we ever dismantle Portugal today.

• bcwizard

Participant

I think we all know that for me to say anything other than Germany would be blasphemous. Man did we ever dismantle Portugal today.

any talk over there about playing against a Klinsman-led team or is it not a big deal?

• Anonymous

Inactive

3rd time is the charm…USA finally beats Ghana

• Anonymous

Inactive

We desperately need to improve our passing and time of possession as the tournament goes on. We got lucky today, Ghana lived not only in our half, but our box…it’s rare for that to happen with only one goal being given up. Germany and even Portugal would have massacred us today in similar circumstances.

• bcwizard

Participant

true but neither Germany nor Portugal play like Ghana

• Anonymous

Inactive

To be honest, I haven’t followed soccer in so long that I don’t really know what type of style each country will play. My comment was based more on just overall skill level than style.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thank you Clint Dempsey!!!!  All blood and guts.  A+Michael Bradley should be sent home tomorrow....worthless POS!!!!

• bcwizard

Participant

Thank you Clint Dempsey!!!!  All blood and guts.  A+Michael Bradley should be sent home tomorrow....worthless POS!!!!

he had a rough 2nd half but he is one of the most important players on the team

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have always thought he was overrated.  His passing was tragic.  I hope Jurgen replaces him because he sucks on the biggest of stages. He sucked in 2010 too.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have always thought he was overrated.  His passing was tragic.  I hope Jurgen replaces him because he sucks on the biggest of stages. He sucked in 2010 too.

you must be watching a different player and there is NO WAY he is replaced

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was not the only one passing poorly. I think the passing on the right side improved when Zusi came into the game. It doesn't hurt either that he is hot.  ;D

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ratings: (0-10)G Tim Howard, 8 -- Commanded his box well and was quick off his line. Produced a fine save to deny Gyan in the first half and denied him again in the second.D DaMarcus Beasley, 4 -- Had trouble keeping his feet, and did little to prevent the steady stream of crosses coming from his side. Improved in the second half but will need to improve against Portugal.D Matt Besler, 6 -- His clearances weren't always as authoritative as they needed to be, but he had some crucial blocks and was solid overall though his passing wasn't at his normal level. An injured hamstring ended his night after 45 minutes.D Geoff Cameron, 7 -- Commanding in the air, and had some key clearances on the ground, but wasn't as clean with his passing as he needed to be. That said, this night was all about defending, and his proved to be immense in that area.D Fabian Johnson, 4 -- Didn't have to do much defensively in the first half and was largely contained in terms of the attack. He defended his side of the field well, that is until he failed to track Ayew's run.M Jermaine Jones, 7 -- His slick pass helped set up Dempsey, but he was inconsistent on the ball afterwards. That said, on a night when the U.S. did a ton of defending, his presence, hustle, and savvy were vital.M Kyle Beckerman, 7 -- Played his usual simple, possession based game, and delivered some vital tackles as well. An absolute rock in midfield.M Michael Bradley, 4 -- Though he put in his usual shift on defense, his attacking game seemed miles off. He played shaky passes throughout and his touch was lacking as well.M Alejandro Bedoya, 6 -- Provided his usual graft on defense, and threatened with a free kick in the first half, but struggled to link up with teammates. His work rate was immense.F Clint Dempsey, 7 -- He made one of the plays that mattered taking his goal with aplomb. Struggled to have an impact thereafter, but this was more down to the team's inability to keep the ball.F Jozy Altidore, 6 -- Held the ball up well during his brief time on the field, only to see his night cut short by his aforementioned hamstring injury.Subs:F Aron Johannsson, 5 -- Tried to step into Altidore's shoes, but struggled with his back to goal.D John Brooks, 8 -- Had a shaky beginning, but came up big in the end. He eventually settled down on defense and his header gave the U.S. three huge points.M Graham Zusi, 7 -- Brought some badly needed energy to the U.S. midfield, and his inch-perfect cross set up the game-winner.

• Anonymous

Inactive

These aren’t mine btw

• Anonymous

Inactive

the only one I disagree with the Jones, he was the best US player, all over the field

• Anonymous

Inactive

Funny, I thought he was one of the worst. His passing was brutal for the most part, but that goes for the entire team. Johannsson could have easily taken a nap on the field and it wouldn't have made a difference, the guy played around 85 minutes including stoppage time and I think he touched the ball maybe 2-3 times. When he did get a chance he looked indecisive. I agree with BP that once Zusi entered things seemed to open up, that might have simply been fresh legs, or his aggressiveness. Either way, it worked.

• Anonymous

Inactive

MAN OF THE MATCH: Jermaine Jones, USA. Yes, really. For all the criticism the midfield destroyer has received over his USMNT tenure for lack of discipline, the Frankfurt native played perhaps his best game in red, white and blue deployed on the left side of the midfield diamond. On transition, he fell back to a more centralized role alongside equally excellent Kyle Beckerman and turned in a cultured, smart performance, with timely tackling, fantastic positioning and smooth, short passing.http://www.mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/news/article/2014/06/16/ghana-1-usa-2-2014-fifa-world-cup-group-g-match-recapFor virtually every minute following Clint Dempsey’s first-minute scoring opener, the U.S. Men’s National Team defended as if their lives depended on it. Through literal blood, sweat and tears, the U.S. fought back wave after wave of attacks from their World Cup nemesis, Ghana.No man was more instrumental in preventing the Ghanaian siege than midfielder Jermaine Jones, who marshaled the U.S. defense all the way to a 2-1 victory. John Brooks will get the headlines for his late-game winner, but it was the play of Jones that won the U.S. the game, as the 32-year-old often times was exactly what stood between the U.S. lead and a Ghanaian onslaught.Time and time again, it was Jones who made a key tackle to stop an attacking storm. It was Jones whose extinguished fire after fire in front of an inexperienced backline. It was Jones who played protector on the biggest stage when his side needed him most. It was Jones, the controversial, rambunctious and overly aggressive machine, whose calming influence led his side to the victory they needed to open the world’s biggest tournament.Jones’ defensive performance was enough to earn him recognition as SBI’s World Cup Man of the Match, beating out teammates Clint Dempsey, Kyle Beckerman and Tim Howard for today’s honorshttp://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/06/world-jermaine-jones.htmlTHREE KEYS1. INCREDIBLE START: Clint Dempsey scored just 34 seconds into the game with a great run into the penalty area as he danced through Ghana's defense and placed a clinical left-footed finish that clipped the post and went in the net. It gave the U.S. a huge boost as Dempsey showed why he has become the Americans' team captain.2. DEFENSIVE WORK: The defensive job done by Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler and second-half sub John Brooks was amazing. But man of the match honors should be shared by Kyle Beckerman and Jermaine Jones, who plugged every hole that Ghana tried to expose. This is what Beckerman does. He is great positionally. But to do it in his first World Cup match is another thing. Jones just keeps running and always gets there when danger lurks..3. CORNERING THE MARKET: Taking advantage of a late corner kick, Brooks headed the ball straight down to give the Ghanaian keeper no chance. It was a storybook moment for a young player who only entered the match due to an injury to central defender Besler. The late goal took away Ghana's momentum and the U.S. was able to hang on in injury time to win a World Cup opener for the second time.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t agree. One thing the article forgot to mention is that “it was Jones who kept the team pinned in their own half with his poor passing”. Like I said, that falls on many of the guys, but he stood out to me as one of the worst. Defending is great, but when you’re constantly having to make solid defensive plays to bail out your own poor ball control and passing, you aren’t really doing much. To have any chance against Germany or Portugal they are going to have to control the middle of the field infinitely times better than they did against Ghana.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't agree. One thing the article forgot to mention is that "it was Jones who kept the team pinned in their own half with his poor passing". Like I said, that falls on many of the guys, but he stood out to me as one of the worst. Defending is great, but when you're constantly having to make solid defensive plays to bail out your own poor ball control and passing, you aren't really doing much. To have any chance against Germany or Portugal they are going to have to control the middle of the field infinitely times better than they did against Ghana.

Bradley was worthless.  He gave the ball away over and over like usual on the big stage.  Maybe he can turn it around but I wouldn't hesitate to yank him if he plays like crap again.  Zusi is much better right now.  Saul Bradley can suck it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't agree. One thing the article forgot to mention is that "it was Jones who kept the team pinned in their own half with his poor passing". Like I said, that falls on many of the guys, but he stood out to me as one of the worst. Defending is great, but when you're constantly having to make solid defensive plays to bail out your own poor ball control and passing, you aren't really doing much. To have any chance against Germany or Portugal they are going to have to control the middle of the field infinitely times better than they did against Ghana.

lol, okay. Bradley is supposed to be the offense.  Jones was out on the left, in space, in front of Beazley, and still played awesome. he was also the obvious veteran leader on the field, showing unusual composure even while being involved in some of the toughest tackles and 50/50 balls (by comparison PePe was ejected in the earlier match)watch the game again, he is all over the field:"There is no doubt Ghana was the better team for most of the game, but the Americans did what good teams need to do in the World Cup. They found a way to steal a game. Dempsey was named official Man of the Match after his first-minute tally, but that honor should have gone to Jermaine Jones, who was an absolute rock in the midfield for the U.S.With Michael Bradley being uncharacteristically off his game for much of the 90 minutes, Jones did exactly what his team needed him to do, fighting toe to toe with the extremely physical Ghanaian players.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vin have you ever played the game? Just curious. I did, for 12 years. I’ve had many teammates who would be “all over the field”, for some that was a good thing, for others not. It’s about what you do when you get the ball, not simply getting the ball. Guys who are really only good at fixing their own mistakes aren’t worthless, but you aren’t going to go very far with them. They’re effort players, translated to role players in any other sport. Ball control and passing ARE the game of soccer, Brazil is usually flawless at it which is why they have been so good for so long. Do you remember Carlos Valderrama, specifically when he was with the Mutiny? The guy was a master at ball control, he looked fat and out of shape half the time, he was laughably slow, but his ball control and passing ability was so elite it didn’t matter. The Mutiny fed the ball through him exclusively with great success. Ghana lived on our side of the field because of guys like Jones and Bradley, because of that I can't agree with the idea that he was anywhere near the best player on the field. If those guys play exactly the same from this point forward, the US has no chance.

• Anonymous

Inactive

By the way, someone’s already gotten to his wiki page:    In 2014 match against Ghana, Bradley was the worst player of the match. He only ran back and forth in the middle of the field and did not play like a professional player for even 5 minutes.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bradley_(soccer)

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vin have you ever played the game? Just curious. I did, for 12 years. I've had many teammates who would be "all over the field", for some that was a good thing, for others not. It's about what you do when you get the ball, not simply getting the ball. Guys who are really only good at fixing their own mistakes aren't worthless, but you aren't going to go very far with them. They're effort players, translated to role players in any other sport. Ball control an