Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• vicious00cycle

Participant

Mariota, Winston, and my personal favorite, Petty. How do you think they stack up against the likes of TB, JFF, Bortles, and even Carr?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Petty’s got some wheelsRichard-Petty.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Head and shoulders above them… Teddy B would be in that same conversation tho.You missed Hundley tho. That dude has some good upside too

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Forgot about Hundley, completely spaced. I’m really pulling for Petty in Pewter next year lol. I just have too many questions about the top QB prospects in this years draft. Not to say I don’t have concerns about 2015’s class, but not to the same degree I have with this crop.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d be excited for Petty and Jameis. Mariota or Hundley would leave me feeling not very hopeful.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

no thanks on Pettykid plays in a spread system with very little reading of the defense. i cant think of one time i saw him make a contested throw last year. i dont even remember him throwing the ball to a receiver who had a defensive player near hmid take these guys in this orderWinstonHundleyMariota

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Every year most think next years class is better.  Now this 2015 class might be, I don’t know and neither do the rest of you but I do know that if they are truely great prospects we won’t get the chance at one unless we have a high pick. 

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Haven’t seen much of Petty. Love Winston and Mariota’s game. Hundley is just in the middle for me, shows some great things and shows some bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Whose even says Winston comes out? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Every year most think next years class is better.  Now this 2015 class might be, I don't know and neither do the rest of you but I do know that if they are truely great prospects we won't get the chance at one unless we have a high pick.

I don't think there was 1 person in the world thinking that the 2013 class would be better than Luck and RG3 back in 2012.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe not but at one point most here thought Geno Smith was a stud.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe not but at one point most here thought Geno Smith was a stud.

prime example of why im not a fan of Petty. runs a high school offense with no reads. struggles against good defenses. Mariota has similar issues as well but nowhere on the same level as the others

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Another one to watch is the Stanford QB.  Forget his name.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kevin Hogan

LOS ANGELES -- Stanford quarterback Kevin Hogan is not Andrew Luck. Only one man is. Hogan's not terribly flashy. He's far from perfect. His 2013 season included a few more down moments than perhaps Cardinal fans and a few college football pundits expected. Yet he has led Stanford to a second consecutive Pac-12 championship and a chance to win two Rose Bowls in a row. He's the only quarterback in college football who has beaten Oregon twice. He probably deserves a break. That break came on Friday from an unlikely source. "I think [Stanford's] passing game is a little underrated," Darqueze Dennard said. Dennard is not only a cornerback for Michigan State, which Stanford will face on Wednesday in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by VIZIO, he is a consensus All-American and the Jim Thorpe Award winner as the nation's best defensive back. He knows passing offenses, and he's not so sure after watching game film that Hogan and company aren't more effective than many think. For one, just consider Hogan's efficiency. He ranks 12th among the nation's quarterbacks in ESPN.com's Total QBR advanced metric. By the conventional efficiency measure used by the NCAA, he ranks third in the Pac-12 and 17th in the nation. Not too shabby. Yet the negative chirping is out there. He struggled during Stanford's shocking loss at Utah and its surprisingly tight win at Oregon State. He threw two interceptions in the Cardinal's loss at USC. "He's had his ups and downs -- no one is perfect," All-American offensive guard David Yankey said. "But I think he's done a great job mentally because even when everyone's been down on him, it's never guys in our facility. We're all behind him." One of the reasonable jabs at Hogan is he doesn't play nearly as well on the road, the 2012 win at Oregon notwithstanding. If that was a legitimate question, however, he seemed to answer it at Arizona State during the Pac-12 championship game, when he turned in one of his most efficient performances of the season. He completed 12 of 18 passes for 277 yards and a touchdown, averaging a stout 15.4 yards per completion, while using his athleticism to buy time against a furious Sun Devils pass rush. Further, he came back strong after throwing four of his nine interceptions this season in the previous three games. "He makes a mistake and he comes back fighting full speed," coach David Shaw said after the Pac-12 title game. "That's what I love about him. We can coach him up hard and beat him up and know he's going to fight back the next week. When given the opportunity, and games are on the line in big moments against ranked teams, he shows what he's capable of." Hogan could probably put up bigger numbers if given the opportunity. He has the size (6-foot-4, 228 pounds), arm and athleticism to match just about any quarterback out there. But Stanford's offense, as everyone knows, is run first and run second. Even Luck only ranked fifth in the conference in passing yards per game his final year on The Farm. If the criticism has gotten to Hogan, he doesn't seem to show it. As for the middling numbers -- just 191 yards passing per game -- he claims he's not paying them any mind. "I don't care about the stats," he said. "I know I'm not going to throw for 300 or 400 a game. If we get into the right plays, get first downs, move the chains and pick up wins, that will make me happy. That was what I was happy with. Getting 11 wins and a chance for a 12th." Hogan said he's most proud of the improvement of the Cardinal's downfield passing game, and that can be quantified. He has dramatically improved his completion percentage on passes of 25 yards or longer -- from 30 percent in 2012 to 48.8 percent in 2013. His 11 touchdowns on passes of this distance -- with just one interception -- leads the Pac-12 and ranks third among AQ conference quarterbacks behind Baylor's Bryce Petty (13) and Clemson's Tajh Boyd (12). So when it comes to explosive plays in the passing game, Hogan ranks with Petty and Boyd, two players who have yet to be called "game managers." It's likely that Hogan will need to be at his most efficient for the Cardinal offense to be successful against the rugged Michigan State defense, which ranks among the nation's statistical leaders in nearly every category, including total defense and rushing defense (No. 1 in both). If Stanford can't get its power running game with Tyler Gaffney going, the ball will be in Hogan's hands. And then he'll get to deal with Dennard and company, who rank second in the nation in pass efficiency defense. It's important to remember that Hogan is only a sophomore who took over the starting job midway through the 2012 season. Perhaps he created outsized expectations by going undefeated as the starter. While he didn't put up big numbers this fall, the clear consensus among the Cardinal coaches and players is he improved, a consensus with which Hogan concurs. "I felt much more comfortable in the pocket and at the line of scrimmage, getting into the right plays," he said. "I was much more comfortable overall. I knew what I was doing much more than last year. I was very happy with my development." With every receiver and tight end scheduled to return next fall, and the offense's top two rushers graduating, it's possible that Stanford will ask more of Hogan in 2014. He's probably going to throw more than 21 passes per game, as he did this season. Even then, he won't be perfect. He won't suddenly become Luck. But he might just turn out to be pretty darn good, perhaps even good enough to get the Cardinal to the top of the Pac-12. Like he has already done twice before.

Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/67457/hogan-is-better-than-you-think

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kevin HoganNobody likes Sean Mannion? I know he put up some crazy numbers at Oregon state.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I need to increase the volume of college ball I watch. I’m too hooked on USC games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sign me up for Trevor Knight from Oklahoma tho. It was only game but that dude was sick in that bowl game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sign me up for Trevor Knight from Oklahoma tho. It was only game but that dude was sick in that bowl game.

isnt he an underclassman? if memory serves me correct i dont think hes able to declare. could be wrong. i worry that hes a one game wonder. have to see what he does next year

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kevin HoganNobody likes Sean Mannion? I know he put up some crazy numbers at Oregon state.

Hogan really dissappointed me last year. i was expecting big things from him and he wasnt that good at all.Mannion put up sick numbers but everyone in Mike Riley's system puts up numbers at Oregon State. Cody Vaz did, Sean Canfield also did. i dont think Mannion has an NFL arm. you dont see him drive the ball much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

isnt he an underclassman? if memory serves me correct i dont think hes able to declare. could be wrong. i worry that hes a one game wonder. have to see what he does next year

He was a RS freshman last year I think

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What about Clint Chelf at OK State?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s possible the QBs next year will be better. But remember: 1.) Every year QBs people think are going to be high draft picks lose their luster. There were many mock drafts 8-10 months ago that had Tajh Boyd in the 1st round. Same with Jimmy Clausen and tons others. 2.) The very best QB classes only produce three long term starters. Even the legendary 1983 class only produced three. So don't expect there to be seven real QBs next year. If next year is better than this year it will only be because 2015 produces three and 2014 produces one or two.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston is a “Luck” type QB.  He will win in the league for 15 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston is a "Luck" type QB.  He will win in the league for 15 years.

If that's true, the Bucs are going to have to go 2-14 or 3-13 in order to get him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And even then watch him stay in college for another year!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you track the careers of top 3 QBs from this class with the careers from next year’s top 3 QBs I think you will find that next year’s is head and shoulders above this years.  You dont draft a QB to draft a QB unless it’s fantasy football.

Please wait…

• majbodoh

Participant

Both have the potential to be good draft classes. Of the two 2015 might look stronger on paper, though whether they all declare or turn out like the hype suggests is another matter. For me, 2014 has some good prospects like Teddy, Bortles, Carr and Manziel. If one of them goes into the right situation (eg Russell Wilson to Seattle), then they could become the next big thing; however, if they fall into a bad situation (eg Blaine Gabbert), then they might end up failing.  It’s the same with most QB classes that don’t have an Andrew Luck type guy. The guys that have the talent to become a franchise QB need the right set up and work ethic to succeed, and if we got one of the top guys from this year’s class, I think we have that setup for them to succeed with.Of the guys next year I'd rank them as Winston, Hundley and Mariota. But unless we suck this season, or pay a significant price to trade up, I don't see the top prospects being on the board when we draft if this team really kicks on and competes like we all hope it will.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And while the 2015 class may be overall better than the 2014, we’re not drafting three QBs. We only need one. So if we get Bridgewater and he turns out to be good and Bortles and Manziel end up sucking, that’s irrelevant to us. All that matters is we got the good one.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can we just decide now that we want the Bucs to go winless for Winston?"Winless for Winston" ????? Huh? Huh?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can we just decide now that we want the Bucs to go winless for Winston?"Winless for Winston" ????? Huh? Huh?

Nope.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

im not sold on him yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

’14 > ’15S&B makes a good point that a lot of times the next year's class of QBs tends to look better. The '15 QBs won't look as good this time next year as they do now. Several will fall off and there will be a few who are not that impressive in the underwear Olympics. The top 3 this year have just as much of a shot to be good as any of the QBs in next years draft. Now is the time to grab top shelf QB prospect if L&L wish to do so, because we may not be anywhere near the top of the draft next year...and that class is bound to be downgraded by this time next year.

Please wait…

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.