Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• Rusty

Participant

OK, here goes. I went to Sportrac and did the obvious, I went down the list of names that I thought should/could be gone next year. IMHO those names include Conte, McDougle, Verner, EDS, Martin, Stocker, Cherilius, Huff, VJAX, Hawley, Myers, Shorts, Dye, Silga, Martino, Lynch, Glennon……it totals $51.5 Million for those 19 players noted. There is a $44.5 million roll over form 2015 bringing the war chest to a total of $96 million to go fishing for Free Agents.Of course all of the 19 poitions will have to be filled with FA’s, draft and gems that Licht finds on the couch again but in the end, say we get 4 starters from the draft, that means we only have to sign 10 FA’s and fill in with low cost unknowns for depth. The future sure looks bright!!!

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

Right now Bucs are 85 under.

Potential cuts

Verner 6.5M

Evan Smith 4.5M

George Johnson 2.3M

Martin 5.8M

Brings potential cap space to $104M.

Would keep Martin and use the space to lock up Gholston, Brate, Evans.

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

I could see Verner being cut . Bucs seem pretty high on Javion Elliot, I think that’s his name. Vjax I would let him test the market then offer him a low contract as a third or fourth reciver. Martin I say keep until at least the draft to make sure you can replace him . Would hate to cut Martin and be forced to over draft a running back.

Please wait…

• leeroybuc93

Participant

I could see Verner being cut . Bucs seem pretty high on Javion Elliot, I think that’s his name. Vjax I would let him test the market then offer him a low contract as a third or fourth reciver. Martin I say keep until at least the draft to make sure you can replace him . Would hate to cut Martin and be forced to over draft a running back.

I’d rather over draft a running back than rely on Martin again. If he’s back as a 2nd or 3rd option, that’s a distraction that isn’t necessary. Bottom line, I think Dougie’s gone.

Please wait…

• ryan24

Participant

Verner was a special teams player exclusively for the last quarter of the season. The only time he played DB was replacing Hargreaves when he was hurt during the NO game.

His salary for 2017 is $6.5mil non guaranteed and he can be released with no cap hit.

He won’t be back.

Please wait…

• STULAAKE

Participant

Bucs only have 39 players under contract with $74 million in cap space…

Please wait…

• Easythe great

Participant

Biggest cuts will be Verner, EDS and Doug Martin. I wouldn’t be surprised if Bucs brought back Conte on another 1 year contract.

Please wait…

• Buc on the Move

Participant

Conte or McDougald are gone, I doubt both come back.  They both had plenty of ups and downs, often in time with the line, imagine that.

Please wait…

• Easythe great

Participant

Conte outplayed McDougald IMO.

Please wait…

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I do not see a way forward for Verner to remain:

Grimes/Hargreaves/Elliot/Smith are all under contract.

UFA: Robinson.

Adje is a ERFA so he is 99% a lock to return.

So, the Bucs already have five players under contract with two entrenched starters and would probably like Robinson back for ST play.

Yeah Verner is gone.

Please wait…

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Bucs only have 39 players under contract with $74 million in cap space…

That is true but a lot of Bucs players are RFA and ERFA.

7 ERFA

and

3 RFA

So, the Bucs have 49 players under contract technically along with the two additions recently (punter and WR) pushes it to 51 players. Anger was re-signed an they are up to 52 players now under contract for 2017.

That is pretty good actually as there are Practice squad players that will receive future contracts soon and FA/Draft.

Please wait…

• Ramonb

Participant

I think Martino is a good 4 or 5 receiver, and Conte could still be a player at SS with Tandy at FS.

Please wait…

• burger40

Participant

I think Martino is a good 4 or 5 receiver, and Conte could still be a player at SS with Tandy at FS.

He made some solid catches when he got in and is good on ST. Plus no bone headed plays so he’s a solid WR4/5

Please wait…

• Derek Sell

Participant

Cut martin. hes trash at this point

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

Hope we bring in K.Shorts DT from the Carolina Panthers. Not only does it strengthens or D line it weakens there’s. I would also like C.Patterson WR from the Viking , not as a starter but to replace Josh Huff. He could also be a gadget player. I think M.Hunt  DE will be a free agent also. Hunt played for or D-line coach in Cinncy so maybe a cheap signing for depth. I not sure if he any good . Also Cameron Jordan TE the for the Dolphins to replace Myers. I don’t see any great FS or SS in this free agent class unless Eric Berry really leave KC, but come on we know there gonna lock him up.

Please wait…

• MichaelMyersIsABucsFan

Participant

Hope we bring in K.Shorts DT from the Carolina Panthers. Not only does it strengthens or D line it weakens there’s. I would also like C.Patterson WR from the Viking , not as a starter but to replace Josh Huff. He could also be a gadget player. I think M.Hunt DE will be a free agent also. Hunt played for or D-line coach in Cinncy so maybe a cheap signing for depth. I not sure if he any good . Also Cameron Jordan TE the for the Dolphins to replace Myers. I don’t see any great FS or SS in this free agent class unless Eric Berry really leave KC, but come on we know there gonna lock him up.

If you’re talking about Margus Hunt from the Bengals, he isn’t good.

Please wait…

• Jr.3

Participant

Hope we bring in K.Shorts DT from the Carolina Panthers. Not only does it strengthens or D line it weakens there’s. I would also like C.Patterson WR from the Viking , not as a starter but to replace Josh Huff. He could also be a gadget player. I think M.Hunt DE will be a free agent also. Hunt played for or D-line coach in Cinncy so maybe a cheap signing for depth. I not sure if he any good . Also Cameron Jordan TE the for the Dolphins to replace Myers. I don’t see any great FS or SS in this free agent class unless Eric Berry really leave KC, but come on we know there gonna lock him up.

If you’re talking about Margus Hunt from the Bengals, he isn’t good.

What, I guess that probably why I haven’t heard his name since the draft, okay scratch that idea.

Please wait…

• nitey

Participant

I thought this was a decent article about FA that the Bucs should avoid. The site is Pewter Plank and Yarcho has some decent arguments why we should avoid the players mentioned.

Link: http://thepewterplank.com/2017/01/09/free-agents-buccaneers-should-avoid/

Please wait…

• Swillyboy15

Participant

Right now Bucs are 85 under.

Potential cuts

Verner 6.5M

Evan Smith 4.5M

George Johnson 2.3M

Martin 5.8M

Brings potential cap space to $104M.

Would keep Martin and use the space to lock up Gholston, Brate, Evans.

Agree with all accounts other than keeping Martin. The team already rewarded him once for 2 great seasons and 2 subpar ones. He let the team down. Honesty the running game was better (still not good behind the OL) without him. Hes a useless commodity and a potential distraction for the team if he comes back. I was one of the guys banging on the table for him last offseason, now Im just waiting to see them let him go. His 5 mil this year could help bring in a WR or DE.

I agree that we need to lock up Gholston, Brate, and Evans ASAP.

Please wait…

• Detrimental

Participant

Short is looking for elite DT money. I don’t think he is a top 5 DT and he wants to be paid like one. I’m more enticed to give Fairley a multi year deal with most of his contract back loaded.

Please wait…

• RHBucsFan

Participant

cutting EDS before knowing anything about Sweezy’s health would be asinine. EDS played a lot of minutes this year at guard and center because of our lack of depth. We’re not short on money, we are short on bodies on the o-line. Cutting another one doesn’t make us a better team.

We don’t even know Hawley’s future with the team either.

Please wait…

• kingjsun73

Participant

I have faith that Licht and his guys will do another good job at continuing to add to the team.We can draft some good players to fill holes and add some people through free agency.As for cutting guys loose…addition by subtraction is not always the way to go.I am torn by the Martin situation.However getting rid of expensive spare parts should be done only if it does not create another hole.We need depth and quality over quantity.I do not think this team is that far away from being a really strong team for years to come.I am excited for the future of this team for the first time in a long time.Keep up the good work Jason,Dirk,and of course all the players.

Please wait…

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.