2019 QB Situation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Live4BUCS
    Participant

Odds are that we will pick inside the top 8-13 picks. (Maybe a little lower if Fitz starts). Either way I think we’re in good shape. Over the past few years most of teams in need of a QB have found one and the league is probably at it’s best ever in terms of starting QBs. The only teams that absolutely need a QB are the Giants and Jags. I can see some other teams maybe jumping into the mix (Raiders/Broncos) but outside of that, The Bucs absolutely have a shot at one of the top 3 QB’s coming out even if we dont pick until the 13th. I just wanted to post the only positive I could think of after watching yesterdays game.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

Just made a thread sorta on this topic. I dont want to use a first rounder on a a QB next year. the Offense is so talented while the defense and both lines need help. Look at what Fitz has done under center, and even winston if he didnt throw the ball to other players all the time. Just an average QB who doesnt do idiotic things would have this team at the number 1 offense in the NFL..

My suggestions would be do what KC did and Cardinals tried to do. Build the team as a whole up while using a vet QB. then can draft a QB when weve finally established a good NFL team and changed the Bucs to a winning and competitive culture. Teddy Bridgewater is my top pick by a mile, as i think he would completely shred it here with this roster.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Teddy doesn’t have the moxie to throw deep balls.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TBChucky
    Participant

I wonder if Fitz would want to play next season if he’s promised to compete for the starting job..

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Spectator

Teddy doesn’t have the moxie to throw deep balls.

Now it’s a lock.

Bridgewater will throw the best deep ball in the league if he starts for us.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

Regarding the “Get Ryan Griffin some playing time to see what he can do” talk.

Come on, even if Ryan Griffin can hold his own as a backup type QB, that doesn’t mean you would seriously consider him to be the quarterback of the future. That’s ridiculous.  Look around the league.  We don’t have hangers-on journeymen become starting franchise QBs.  Throw out the Patriots.  Look around the league. Every team has their stud QB drafted early in the first round.  Jarred Goff, Matt Stafford and so forth.  There are a couple of surprises that were picked late 1st or 2nd round like Rodgers, Brees or Prescott.    Franchise QBs don’t grow on trees and don’t come from the end of the draft, Tom Brady being the lone exception.  Case Keenum,  you are no Tom Brady.  Nor are you a franchise QB.  Ryan Griffin, no disrespect, but you are no Tom Brady either.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

There are no high profile QB free agents for 2019.  None.

The Bucs won’t be able to draft high enough to get one of the two or three (if that) legit franchise QBs in the draft.  So we will pretty much be stuck with a stopgap QB next year.  Choices will likely be…

Derek Carr (for a 2nd round pick).

Case Keenum?

Tyrod Taylor

Teddy Bridgewater.

Johnny Manziel.  And I’m not kidding.  I’ll be the first one to bring his name up, and take the heat.   But considering the options, why not give him a shot.

Check it out…

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/10/29/johnny-manziel-cfl-win-alouettes-argos/

Yeah so its hard to argue to keep Winston.  Its like arguing to keep a sore open.  But the options are not going to be great.

And as far as using our 1st round pick on a leftover QB, what about all the other things we need to use that pick for?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BucBalla85
    Participant

There are no high profile QB free agents for 2019. None.

The Bucs won’t be able to draft high enough to get one of the two or three (if that) legit franchise QBs in the draft. So we will pretty much be stuck with a stopgap QB next year. Choices will likely be…

Derek Carr (for a 2nd round pick).

Case Keenum?

Tyrod Taylor

Teddy Bridgewater.

Johnny Manziel. And I’m not kidding. I’ll be the first one to bring his name up, and take the heat. But considering the options, why not give him a shot.

Check it out…

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/10/29/johnny-manziel-cfl-win-alouettes-argos/

Yeah so its hard to argue to keep Winston. Its like arguing to keep a sore open. But the options are not going to be great.

Forgot Tebow bro..

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TBChucky
    Participant

Yeah! Tebow! Lmao
    I hear Vince Young is still kicking around too..

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    tog
    Participant

There are no high profile QB free agents for 2019. None.

There are never any high profile QBs in free agency. Guys like Drew Brees and Manning are the exception and both only happened because of injuries.

What you’re doing is getting a stop gap.

The decision for the Bucs next year is (a) trade up (b) get a late 1st QB or (c) wait until 2020.

Yes, you can have success with late 1sts. Roethlisberger for example. But yes, its easier at the top of the round. Bucs advantage is the talent at WR/TE.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Buc on the Move
    Participant

Hey there @Roy, Russel Wilson and Kirk Cousins may disagree with your comments.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

OK a couple guys from 3rd and 4th round.   They are the exceptions to the rule to even get that far.  They aren’t exactly UFAs.  If you look at the last draft once you got past the first round you didn’t even have guys who could make the team.  Kyle Lauletta I think may have been the only one.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

@tog, I think Kirk Cousins puts false hope into fans.   They think a QB is going to come on the market and all you have to do is throw out a $100 to $200 million and you can take an expensive shortcut to get your QB.  Who cares, its not my money! But there will be no Kirk Cousins this offseason.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    freddy
    Participant

@tog, I think Kirk Cousins puts false hope into fans. They think a QB is going to come on the market and all you have to do is throw out a $100 to $200 million and you can take an expensive shortcut to get your QB. Who cares, its not my money! But there will be no Kirk Cousins this offseason.

On the bright side, the Bucs will have an unexpected $20 million is extra cap room

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    tog
    Participant

@tog, I think Kirk Cousins puts false hope into fans. They think a QB is going to come on the market and all you have to do is throw out a $100 to $200 million and you can take an expensive shortcut to get your QB. Who cares, its not my money! But there will be no Kirk Cousins this offseason.

I mean you’ll get a stop gap. Even Cousins hasn’t been great (although is an upgrade).

The reality is when you don’t have a QB (which the Bucs don’t) you’re fucked. No matter how you slice it. Especially in the NFC South.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.