Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 72 reply threads

• Author

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

The Bucs have a boatload of free agents coming up. It’s going to be a very interesting off-season trying to figure this out. I’ve listed the most notable free agents and the ones I think are imperative we keep. What’s everyone’s opinion on this?

Upcoming Free Agents: Barrett, David, Gronk, Suh, McLendon, Haeg, Fournette, Brown, Nunez-Roches, Minter, Succop, Cockrell, Godwin

Must resign: Barrett, David, Brown, Succop, Godwin

Would like to resign if price is right: Gronk, Roches, Minter, Cockrell

Players likely gone: Barrett, Suh, Gronk, Brown

Draft Needs: LB, TE, DB & DL

It will be hard resigning a lot of these players unless they take less money to stay with the Bucs. We need Licht to work some magic.

• buc_boi

Participant

I’m sure we’ll get to have this discussion all off-season long, not sure why it’s important to talk about in the middle of our playoff run?

Season isn’t over, not even close.

• m_j

Participant

holy …. didn‘t realize CG is FA as well

but yepp, let‘s discuss this in the offseason. a lot will depend on how far we get this year

• JC5100

Participant

If you don’t want to talk about it then don’t click the thread.

Nobody wants to admit it but the Bucs have a serious issue in the next 2 months. According to Spotrac the Bucs are only going to be $31M under the cap. The rookie pool is going to be about $7M, so they have less than $25M to work with.

Have to re-sign: Godwin and David
      Would like to re-sign at right price: Barrett, Gronk

Who has to get cut?
      JPP designated as a post 6/1 cut- Save $10M
      Jensen- Save $10M (There’s some good vet free agent centers, Brady is going to have to recruit one)
      Brate- Save $6.5M

There’s $26.5M right there putting the total over $50M so they can operate. Letting Barrett walk is an option. He should have been traded in the off-season. Bucs have to get younger and cheaper pass rushers.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Nobody wants to admit it but the Bucs have a serious issue in the next 2 months.

I’ve been reading this same boy-who-cries-wolf stuff from you for six years. Maybe this will be the year you’re finally right.

• JC5100

Participant

Nobody wants to admit it but the Bucs have a serious issue in the next 2 months.

I’ve been reading this same boy-who-cries-wolf stuff from you for six years. Maybe this will be the year you’re finally right.

Do the math and get back to me

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/cap/2021/

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Priority of resignings: godwin>ab>lvd>jpp>shaq>suh

Lvd really fell off late this year.

Usually happens suddenly with LBs, unfortunately.

I fear his best days are behind him.

I see a lot of FAs giving Tampa a discount for a chance to play with the GOAT.

• Vance

Participant

Just my opinion but I don’t think Brown and Gronk will play without Brady. Especially Gronk. With him it is either retire or Bucs.

• Live4BUCS

Participant

Brady is coming back so i think Gronk will give us a discount (if he even wants to play). AB is probably going to leave and cash out somewhere else. Godwin should be our #1 priority. Lavonte might want to cash out time time around so it may be hard to re-sign him unless we’re letting Barrett walk (which i wouldn’t be opposed to). But then we have an issue at rusher without JPP and Barrett. So i guess it’s pick your poison between David and our pass rush. I just think Barrett will want too much $$$ and i don’t think he’s worth it. We need to draft Edge rusher for sure. Oh and what do we do at left tackle? Did Smith prove he’s worth keeping?

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Agreed for both

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Just my opinion but I don’t think Brown and Gronk will play without Brady. Especially Gronk. With him it is either retire or Bucs.

Agreed for both.

• JC5100

Participant

Brady is coming back so i think Gronk will give us a discount (if he even wants to play). AB is probably going to leave and cash out somewhere else. Godwin should be our #1 priority. Lavonte might want to cash out time time around so it may be hard to re-sign him unless we’re letting Barrett walk (which i wouldn’t be opposed to). But then we have an issue at rusher without JPP and Barrett. So i guess it’s pick your poison between David and our pass rush. I just think Barrett will want too much $$$ and i don’t think he’s worth it. We need to draft Edge rusher for sure. Oh and what do we do at left tackle? Did Smith prove he’s worth keeping?

I think Donovan Smith earned his 2021 salary on Saturday night.

JPP isn’t a free agent but I just believe he has to be cut in order to be able to keep Godwin, David and Gronk.

I would try to draft an edge rusher in the 1st round. Haason Reddick is an interesting FA as he was drafted by Arians but I just HATE HATE HATE guys who only get sacks in contract years. 7.5 sacks first 3 years, 12.5 sacks in contract year.

• m_j

Participant

gronk for sure, brown … nobody knows that

• Greattimes

Participant

A lot of teams are in the same dilemma. With the projected reduction in cap space for NFL teams, players salaries are going to take a salary hit. Teams will need to renegotiate contracts. Some teams like the Dallas Cowboys are in salary cap hell, and they still need to resign their QB to a contract.

• Detrimental

Participant

Dont see Brate on the roster next season with that current price tag. Maybe we ask Jansen to restructure his deal to save $

Suh is 100% gone so that’s 8M right there. Gronk is not coming back at his current tag. If he does he’ll take a significant pay cut. Bucs are saving north of 10+ off them two contracts alone. Lets say Gronk takes a 1 year 6M deal. David, Shaq, and Godwin are must haves.

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Suh is the reason behind our stout rush defense, and if Vea gii ok ng out doesn’t prove that I don’t know what will.

Gronk and is unselfish play is a big reason why we’ve protected Brady so well.

I really hope we find a way to bring them both back next season. I don’t see Gronk playing anywhere else so I’m optimistic he will return. Let’s turn the page on OJ Howard please.

• Detrimental

Participant

Suh is very replaceable. Bucs could draft a DT and get better and save $. Pair Vea with some fresh legs that can rush the passer and generate wins in the run. Plenty of good DT prospects in the upcoming draft.

Suh is the reason behind our stout rush defense, and if Vea gii ok ng out doesn’t prove that I don’t know what will.

Gronk and is unselfish play is a big reason why we’ve protected Brady so well.

I really hope we find a way to bring them both back next season. I don’t see Gronk playing anywhere else so I’m optimistic he will return. Let’s turn the page on OJ Howard please.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Agreed with suh being replaceable.

Hes great in this system, but his best days are behind him as well.

Plenty could restructure to create more cap room as well.

Brady or me13(again) come to mind.

$ talks, sure. Most of these bucs are not used to winning. I really believe most will prioritize winning over $.

• buc_boi

Participant

As much as I hate agreeing with ole ankle grabber here, but dudes right(finally).

Y’all been saying this same crap ever since I stated posting here, has it ever been true?

No

• creamsicles

Participant

Based on positional impact in team construction, I believe Shaq is the highest priority unless those dollars are used for a replacement (but who would that be?). I don’t think you can win the SB without QB pressure and he’s the best we got there. He should also benefit from Vea’s return more than anyone else, but PLEASE return him to the other side.

A good Edge is hard to find and our ability to draft one in the late first (or later) is highly speculative. I believe it to be the second hardest position to effectively fill after QB

I’d rather have Shaq than JPP.

• Live4BUCS

Participant

Leondard Floyd, Loenard Williams could be options if Shaq is too costly. I think Godwin is still #1 priority and Id rather have Leonard/Godwin than Shaq/Miller.

• JC5100

Participant

Based on positional impact in team construction, I believe Shaq is the highest priority unless those dollars are used for a replacement (but who would that be?). I don’t think you can win the SB without QB pressure and he’s the best we got there. He should also benefit from Vea’s return more than anyone else, but PLEASE return him to the other side.

A good Edge is hard to find and our ability to draft one in the late first (or later) is highly speculative. I believe it to be the second hardest position to effectively fill after QB

I’d rather have Shaq than JPP.

I don’t trust Barrett to produce when he gets a big pay day, especially when a long term deal will take him into his 30s.

• JC5100

Participant

As much as I hate agreeing with ole ankle grabber here, but dudes right(finally).

Y’all been saying this same crap ever since I stated posting here, has it ever been true?

No

I’ve been saying Licht has been wasting money that we will eventually need. Now we need it and it’s not there. So again, since Biggs couldn’t do it I’ll ask you to explain the math on how we can keep this team together next year.

• Greattimes

Participant

Just read where the Philadelphia Eagles are 70 million over the 2021 salary cap. Cutting QB Wentz involves a lot of dead salary money. The Eagles and a lot of other teams will be cutting a lot of players to get under the salary cap. It is a buyers market.

• Biggs3535

Participant

No

I’ve been saying Licht has been wasting money that we will eventually need. Now we need it and it’s not there. So again, since Biggs couldn’t do it I’ll ask you to explain the math on how we can keep this team together next year.

No team is ever kept together from one year to the next. Are you new to football?

The reality is you’ve been saying this team was in salary cap hell for years, yet that never materialized. I don’t expect that change any time soon, Mr. Red Board GM.

• buc_boi

Participant

No

Figures Biggs is too busy grabbing his own ankles to answer, lol.

What did we do the last time y’all thought the sky was falling on this subject?

We Restructured mike Evans contract to free up cap space, and so long as we have owners who aren’t cheap, we can do the very same again.

Don’t you remember last offseason and the sky that was falling then with our free agents and cap space?

Y’all said we couldn’t resign everyone for this exact same reason of Jason lichts stupidity, and that simply wasn’t the case as we signed every important free agent and then sum.

We added fornette
      We added shady
      We added AB

I’m sure by now y’all have to be tired of this same old routine, especially since the sky never falls.

I get being overly negative when we go 4-12 with Jamie’s as our QBs, but this team has absolutely nothing but a bright future ahead.

• JC5100

Participant

So like a I thought, you guys couldn’t do the math, because it’s impossible.

Last year we had over $80M of cap space going into off-season. Not $28M with 3 of the best players unsigned

• buc_boi

Participant

Did you not read my post?

You restructure contracts like we did with mike evans, simple fix.

No math needed

• TBChucky

Participant

JPP is under contract for next year already.

• TBChucky

Participant

This. The grass isn’t going to be quite as green out there for FA’s this offseason. Couple that with Tom freakin Brady and no state income tax we might be surprised who stays cheap. Plus we’re now a playoff team, and possibly a contender. We’ll find out this weekend I suppose.

A lot of teams are in the same dilemma. With the projected reduction in cap space for NFL teams, players salaries are going to take a salary hit. Teams will need to renegotiate contracts. Some teams like the Dallas Cowboys are in salary cap hell, and they still need to resign their QB to a contract.

• TBChucky

Participant

You’re absolutely right. I can see a SHIT TON of 1 year deals this offseason. Probably a lot with incentives as well.

Just read where the Philadelphia Eagles are 70 million over the 2021 salary cap. Cutting QB Wentz involves a lot of dead salary money. The Eagles and a lot of other teams will be cutting a lot of players to get under the salary cap. It is a buyers market.

• Mark

Participant

I hate saying this, but I think our best course of action is trading either ME or CG. I think brown will give us a discount to play with Tom so you can probably get him for 1/2 of the other 2 and either one of them would fetch a solid haul of draft picks and dump $18-20m in cap. I’m not sure how you keep all 3 other than possibly getting AB to sign another vet min deal which I don’t see AND franchising CG. But others will fall if we do that and we don’t receive any compensation for trading an excellent asset at a position of great strength (assuming miller and Johnson come along). We will also have gronk, Howard and probably Brate at a reduction. Scary and aggressive thought but maybe the right one to build a better overall team.

• Barnz1

Participant

I don’t see the serious issue. I think you’re overreacting. The Bucs are one of the best positions in the league to manage this. As mentioned, a lot of others teams are in the same situation or MUCH worse (12!!! teams are currently projected to have negative cap space). Our free agents are not going to get the deals they want in this market as aren’t any other teams free agents.

The Bucs have the 7th most cap space right now in the league and have options. The first one which you didn’t even mention is cutting Donovan Smith’s 14mil deal and drafting his replacement. He’s played better lately but that is a lot of money. Brate would be the other who’s most likely gone. That’s nearly 50mil in cap space off 2 moves without even getting creative.

Any decent GM should be able to keep all our free agents that we want to or replace them with solid replacements in this market that will see cheaper deals than normal.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Last year we had over $80M of cap space going into off-season. Not $28M with 3 of the best players unsigned

Remember last year, when you opined the Bucs had the cap room to sign Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Brown, Shaq Barrett, etc.? Me too.

But I’m with you. This is the year. Finally. This. Is. The. Year.

• jcaulfield8

Participant

Have to find money to sign Edelman this off-season too

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

Have to find money to sign Edelman this off-season too

Sarcasm at its finest

• TB-BucFan4Life

Participant

JPP is under contract for next year already.

I think David is expendable although I’d like to have him back. We need to draft a LB or TE in the 1st round to make up for losses in FA.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

We need to draft a LB or TE in the 1st round to make up for losses in FA.

I really, really, really hope we don’t do this.

We need OL/Edge in the 1st round.

• JC5100

Participant

I hate saying this, but I think our best course of action is trading either ME or CG. I think brown will give us a discount to play with Tom so you can probably get him for 1/2 of the other 2 and either one of them would fetch a solid haul of draft picks and dump $18-20m in cap. I’m not sure how you keep all 3 other than possibly getting AB to sign another vet min deal which I don’t see AND franchising CG. But others will fall if we do that and we don’t receive any compensation for trading an excellent asset at a position of great strength (assuming miller and Johnson come along). We will also have gronk, Howard and probably Brate at a reduction. Scary and aggressive thought but maybe the right one to build a better overall team.

Antonio Brown will be a 33 and is a problem waiting to happen. Godwin will be 25,homegrown, team leader. Good call.

• m_j

Participant

so, we can get back to this thread now … long and hot offseason starts as soon as hangover is over! huge task for jason in the first place. his credit is huge now! old guy brought us gruden and first SB, jason brought us TB12 and the second one! on to third one :-)

I’d say lavonte must stay, gronk will stay for sure, I’m very positive about AB and succop, I hope barrett stays as well. fournette and suh, hard to tell! brate and godwin will be hard to keep, there will certainly be some ring chasers ready to play for less as long as TB12 is here and draft will be different to anything we ever experienced!

GO BUCS!

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Have to get LVD, Godwin, and Shaq re-signed.

• Pennywise

Participant

If up to brady ,gronk and AB will be back
      …unfortunately a big name wont be back ,cant sign them all.

• JBSouthpaw

Participant

WR situation will be interesting.
      There are a crazy amount of vets available.
      Should drive prices down.
      take a look at the list:
      https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/
      sort it by receptions, Godwin is 6th on the list!

• Buc on the Move

Participant

Goddam this website sucks. Ate my longer reply.

Shaq sounds like he’ll take a discount, he is so happy with playing for Bowles, but last year he wanted to get paid, so we’ll see. Really need him back. JPP would be nice too, as top EDGE isn’t really available at 32.

Godwin’s situation seems the murkiest to me. Haven’t heard much comment from him. His season finished on a downward trajectory, and I wonder how he felt about the more crowded receiver room. It does help that there is so much other talent available, but he deserves a pay day, just how big?

• delgreco

Participant

I am in the camp that they will not sign Godwin. I don’t think we can afford to pay two number 1 receivers. (and probably shouldn’t)..Evans, Brown (on a resign) and Miller and Johnson can get the job done, just look at the Super Bowl game as a model, resembled the pats, tight ends and whoever has the match up, not forcing to one receiver. This is where I would save the money.

I like the idea of keeping the D together for one more year. Probably won’t happen. But its how we won in 2002, and this year…Great D

Suh is probably more valuable than we all realize, and part of two consecutive years of back to back great run defenses, probably not an accident.

Man..I love David and he’s been playing so hard for so long, and still played at a high level all year and in the biggest game of the year…Yes he’s older now, but for us to repeat, he would be a priority.

Shaq…played better late in the year and was a force resembling last year…he said he wants to stay…not sure what that price looks like…

and get Fournette back!

• BChaves8

Participant

The playoff run really showed the importance of the D line.

Keeping this group together should be priority #1.

I absolutely love Godwin and think they will find a way to keep him here, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he went elsewhere. He’s worked his ass off and playing through the injuries this year showed his toughness. He deserves every penny that teams will throw his way.

• m_j

Participant

lavonte is not going anywhere. when you talk about this bucs team, it is him and mike as true bucs in the first place.

he already earned a good money and he will get his share in the future as well, there is a enough space for a good smart structured contract. he is in a completely different position than godwin who played on low third rounder rookie contract or shaquil who played for peanuts for years before he got tagged here.

• TURBO

Participant

Brown is such a whack-job. I don’t want to pay the guy only to have him revert back into the knob he has proven to be in the past.

Sign him for cheap, YES, but don’t rely on him being a #2.

We need to hang onto to Godwin and if AB can keep huis act together, we have it made.

Depending on AB would be a mistake, as a compliment to the others is fine, but we just can’t count on him for an entire off season.

• GenoaBucs

Participant

Gronk and Brown aren’t going anywhere, hope they stay to have another shot, so for less money.
      Same for David and maybe Succop.
      Won’t be easy to keep both Shaq and Godwin, but our receiving corp is stronger and better than OLBs. Godwin would be a #1 receiver almost everywhere in the league…they could TAG him but is he going to play under FT? Who knows…

Suh (unless he does not retire) and Gholston should take a serious paycut to stay.
      I’d add Playoff Lenny to the group, he was a beast in the offseason.

• SaskBucs

Participant

David, Barrett and Gronk are top 3 priorities. Succop follows with one of the WRs. I hope it’s Godwin but if AB is 6-7 million cheaper might force the Bucs hand. Ideally Suh comes back but I think a top DT will be available at pick 32. Fournette is a luxury that can’t be afforded, sign a FA pass catching back and let RoJo run wild.

No idea how realistic that all is but seems like the Bucs can’t keep everyone and if guys don’t come back for good prices I bet other FAs out there will. While they are at it, I would put a 3rd year on Brady’s contract at $25 again and maybe get this years salary down to 19-20 million. If his current deal is structured 25-25 I guess.

• Mrshowstopper

Participant

We have this conversation every offseason…truth is, they’ll find room for who they want/who wants to be here. I’ll worry about this when it’s an issue. Licht and Greenberg have done an amazing job with working the cap over the years, not worried

• BChaves8

Participant

X factor could be other veteran FA’s around the league that will want to come Tampa on the cheap for a shot at a ring.

• Pepsi

Participant

when it comes to Gronk, it doesnt really matter what you think the priority of resigning him is, or “if the price is right” blah blah. Pencil him in as 100% being resigned. Not a chance Brady allows the Bucs to let him go

• Pepsi

Participant

A couple interesting low cost FA running backs I see are Jamal Williams and Wayne Gallman. both are reliable receivers. Williams can push a pile, and Gallman can elude defenders. Solid cheap pairings with Rojo

• jcaulfield8

Participant

Can’t they shift long term veterans salary into signing bonus’ spread out cap hit over 3-5 years and pull the shit the saints have for the past 7 years.

• SunnyD

Participant

I think Bucs should pursue James White. Incredible chemistry wih Brady could help soften the blow of losing Godwin and/or Antonio Brown.

• Swash

Participant

With the cap room we’re working with and potential restructures to Brady, Evans. Along with possible cuts/extensions with Brate, Jensen, and Smith.. the Bucs are in a fantastic salary cap situation. It’ll take some work to reduce a few salaries but I’m not with the sky is falling crowd. Only real contributor I would say we will pass on resigning is Fournette. The Bucs do have a ton of flexibility here.

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

What’s the real number then on cap room? See about 30m in this thread, just saw 14m on espn.

• m_j

Participant

it is bit under 30 mil.

• m_j

Participant

after watching last evening podcast I’m very confident. I didn’t realize they can keep godwin under tag for that ammount, so that makes sense as well.

a lot depends on what lavonte and shaquil are thinking, but I’d bet at least lavonte is going nowhere. let‘s hear what jason may tell us in the podcast tonight

as long as injuries spare us I’m expecting deep playoff run in 2021

• m_j

Participant

Godwin just said he would have no problem playing under tag, so that’s good, no turbulence expected

• JC5100

Participant

Because the tag number is above market value for WRs and he did not have a good statistical year because of injuries early. Of course he’ll take it.

The tag number is below market value for Barrett because DE and OLB are separated.

• Bucman

Participant

Bucs can afford to pay both Godwin and Evans. The cap will be huge next season and they’ll have plenty of space to resign guys like Carlton.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Bucs are $170M under the 2021 cap. They can afford him.

These posts are less than two months apart, from the Red Board GM.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Remember last year, when you opined the Bucs had the cap room to sign Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Brown, Shaq Barrett, etc.? Me too.

But I’m with you. This is the year. Finally. This. Is. The. Year.

Dammit…I thought this was the year…

• LIBucsFan93

Participant

NFL Network reporting Bucs have made contract offer to G/C Brett Jones. Can’t say I know a lot about him. Thoughts?

• SaskBucs

Participant

I’m pretty sure he is a former CFL guy. Might have started his NFL tenure with the Vikings but spent most of it with the Giants.

IOL depth piece. I believe he can play C or G. Upgrade on Shipley and Watford.

Again, my wires might be crossed here thinking of a different guy.

• m_j

Participant

honestly, never heard of him

• m_j

Participant

succop should be next, whatever else comes will be +1.
      would be great to do it before free agency opens.

wealso need some fresh blood, 2-3 minor signings from outside and good draft would do it

• m_j

Participant

haeg is gone …. well, dropped that big TD :-(

• m_j

Participant

I know this thread is about our free agents, but poor guy was by far our best player in the conference finals, so I‘m happy he’s got resigned :-) :-) :-)

• BucsSavant

Participant

Yeah, kind of surprised about that to be honest. While the conference championship does completely reflect who he is as a player, it is the type of performance a locker room never forgets. Expected to see him move elsewhere, likely for below market value.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Do the math and get back to me

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tampa-bay-buccaneers/cap/2021/

The Red Board GM continues to be the boy who cried wolf, while the Bucs FO – specifically the capologist – continues to make him look foolish.

Lolz @ “impossible”

• BucBalla85

Participant

I dont know if I thought it would be impossible but very difficult to bring everyone back. More than happy to be wrong about that.

• m_j

Participant

any news on mclendon? heard he was considering retirement few days before free agency started and silence ever after

I still expect us to sign gabbert, do not know about AB and mclendon is the only other left that we could really use

• m_j

Participant

so, all back but gabbert! hard to imagine anyone believed in that!

• m_j

Participant

so we can close off this … everyone’s back, fullstop! I guess noone here believed in that, I certainly haven’t!

unless injury disaster happens we’re gonna have another great year, loads of fun and 12-5 at least!!

• GameTime

Participant

JC5100 still hitting dingers I see

Viewing 72 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.