Viewing 54 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

bonus_zpsa19f6893.gifESPN.com    July 11  2014by Nathan Jahnke / Illustrations by Dave Merrell    Anyone remember the travesty that was the Saints' safeties last season? The Seahawks certainly do: They outscored New Orleans 57-22 in two games. That's why ball hawk Jairus Byrd got $28 million guaranteed to relocate to the Big Easy. Here's a statistical skinny on Byrd and four other big-ticket, must-have free agents who will reinvent their units.1    Branden Albert    LT, Dolphins - 5 years, $47 Million Between Jonathan Martin and Bryant McKinnie, Miami's left tackles were a mess in 2013. Martin allowed, on average, one sack, one hit and two hurries per game. And McKinnie gave up four or more pressures in seven of his 10 starts for the Fins. Enter Albert, a 29-year-old former Chief who was the No. 15 pick in 2008. He's been one of the best pass-blocking left tackles since 2011 (see chart).bonus1_zpsce844827.gifKevin C. Cox/Getty Images2      Jairus Byrd        S, Saints - 6 years, $54 Million Even last year's additions of CB Keenan Lewis and S Kenny Vaccaro, coupled with CB Corey White's emergence, couldn't cover for Malcolm Jenkins, who allowed 486 passing yards, the second most among NFL safeties. Byrd, 27, allowed just 0.23 yards per coverage snap in Buffalo last season, third best in the league. Plus, as the chart at bottom shows, the three-time Pro Bowler has a penchant for INTs.bonus2_zps5aa4144e.gifKevin C. Cox/Getty Images3    Eric Decker      WR, Jets - 5 years, $36.2 Million Think the Jets needed a new No. 1 receiver? Consider this: Of the 94 WRs who garnered at least 25 percent of their team's targets last season, Stephen Hill ranked 83rd in yards per route run (1.02). Meanwhile, Decker has averaged 86 catches and 1,176 yards in Denver since 2012. His numbers will certainly decline without Peyton Manning, but count on Decker, 27, to create his share of big plays in the Meadowlands (see chart).bonus3_zps347631ee.gifKevin C. Cox/Getty Images4    Michael Johnson          DE, Bucs - 5 years, $43.7 Million Tampa Bay hasn't had a player rack up double-digit sacks since Simeon Rice had 14 in 2005. Last season the Bucs' top ends -- Adrian Clayborn, Daniel Te'o-Nesheim and Da'Quan Bowers -- combined for just 10 sacks. With the Bengals, the 6-foot-7, 270-pound Johnson, 27, ranked among the league's top pass-rushing 4-3 DEs (see chart). Plus, in 2013, his 8.4 percent stop rate on run plays ranked fifth best among 4-3 ends. No wonder Cincinnati tagged him as a franchise player last season.bonus4_zps4021975e.gifKevin C. Cox/Getty Images5    Karlos Dansby      LB, Browns - 4 years, $24 Million Cleveland wouldn't have needed a new inside linebacker if D'Qwell Jackson were still playing like it was 2011. But last season, Jackson's 5.9 percent stop rate on run plays was fourth worst among all ILBs. Although he's 32, Dansby is still one of the most complete 'backers in the game: He led all LBs in passes defended in each of the past two seasons (see chart) and ranked seventh in the league with a 10.8 percent stop rate on run plays.bonus5_zps8c6ddd74.giflink

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m sorry I just don’t see Decker or Albert transforming their teams. Albert is overrated and Decker is a good #2 who was lucky enough to be catching passing from an all time great. I do think the Jets will be better but it will be just as much because of an improved running game along with a shiny new rookie TE and Decker.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just how many teams use the 4-3 exactly?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Last season the Bucs’ top ends — Adrian Clayborn, Daniel Te’o-Nesheim and Da’Quan Bowers — combined for just 10 sacks.”That says it all right there..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker is going to languish in NY.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker made a mistake going  to the Jets. Who is the QB that’s going to get him the ball?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker made a mistake going  to the Jets. Who is the QB that's going to get him the ball?

Geno Smith isn't great but for a rookie, he threw for 3000 yards without a dominant WR. Not too shabby.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker made a mistake going  to the Jets. Who is the QB that's going to get him the ball?

Geno Smith isn't great but for a rookie, he threw for 3000 yards without a dominant WR. Not too shabby.

I'm not sure when it happened but somehow we have cultivated an environment in the NFL fan bases where no QB is given more than one year to prove themselves.  It's alarming.  I'm not the biggest Geno fan but I agree, how can you not give him the benefit of the doubt after last season?  Do you know how many hall of fame QBs would not be there if teams were to give up on QBs as fast as fans want them to today? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He is done, Mike Vick has declared himself the starter.  [sarc font]

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not sure when it happened but somehow we have cultivated an environment in the NFL fan bases where no QB is given more than one year to prove themselves.  It's alarming.  I'm not the biggest Geno fan but I agree, how can you not give him the benefit of the doubt after last season?  Do you know how many hall of fame QBs would not be there if teams were to give up on QBs as fast as fans want them to today?

You calling Geno Smith a hall of famer? Fucking idiot!/RedBoard

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the guy went where he got paid.....no mistake there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You calling Geno Smith a hall of famer? **CENSORED**ing idiot!/RedBoard

I am certainly not saying he's a hall of famer but I am saying you prefer a mouth full of semen to a warm meal.

Just to be clear I was mocking the typical asshole reactions from some posters on here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am certainly not saying he's a hall of famer but I am saying you prefer a mouth full of semen to a warm meal.

Geezus dude!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Geezus dude!!!

He won't make it to opening day with comments like that. Maybe that is his intention.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Geezus dude!!!

He won't make it to opening day with comments like that. Maybe that is his intention.

Brilliant plan, actually!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the answer isn’t always the biggest check.  I’d much rather play in superbowls with Peyton for a few less bills than more than likely miss the playoffs with an erratic QB. But to each his own.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just to be clear I was mocking the typical **CENSORED** reactions from some posters on here.

That's what the blue font is for. Sorry I couldn't read your intention.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the answer isn't always the biggest check.  I'd much rather play in superbowls with Peyton for a few less bills than more than likely miss the playoffs with an erratic QB. But to each his own.

Easy for you to type, sitting at your keyboard. Playing with Peyton doesn't guarantee Superbowls....and it sure as hell doesn't pay the bills.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the answer isn't always the biggest check.  I'd much rather play in superbowls with Peyton for a few less bills than more than likely miss the playoffs with an erratic QB. But to each his own.

Easy for you to type, sitting at your keyboard. Playing with Peyton doesn't guarantee Superbowls....and it sure as hell doesn't pay the bills.

Coaches have been lulled into the Peyton trap.  Which, simply put, is, we can put it all on his shoulders and he'll not only figure it out but we will outscore our opponent 2/1.  In the end, it's a defensive game and without one, you will rarely win it all. The Jet's defense is no joke and will never be with Ryan as their coach. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

of course its easy to type, its true. Your post makes it sound like no one else offered him a contract.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did Denver even make a competing offer? With what they're paying Peyton and soon going to be paying Demaryius Thomas and Von Miller, I'm not sure they could afford much more than the minimum for Decker.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did Denver even make a competing offer? With what they're paying Peyton and soon going to be paying Demaryius Thomas and Von Miller, I'm not sure they could afford much more than the minimum for Decker.

not sure. I would assume there was some interest for decker throughout the league, my stance is that it’s better to take a little less to put yourself in a better situation…but it’s not for everyone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

not sure. I would assume there was some interest for decker throughout the league, my stance is that it's better to take a little less to put yourself in a better situation...but it's not for everyone.

I think its a pretty good bet Decker chased the greenbacks. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Its different for every player. A guy might make big money early on, then he wants a trophy. Or a guy who never gets the huge contract, and he says, screw it, I will take my chances with Geno or Mike Vick.EditUpon further review, Decker had a 4 year deal in Denver worth 2.5mil.The Jets gave him 5 years 36mil.  Who can blame the guy?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

EditUpon further review, Decker had a 4 year deal in Denver worth 2.5mil.The Jets gave him 5 years 36mil.  Who can blame the guy?

cmon, comparing a rookie contract to a 2nd contract?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

EditUpon further review, Decker had a 4 year deal in Denver worth 2.5mil.The Jets gave him 5 years 36mil.  Who can blame the guy?

cmon, comparing a rookie contract to a 2nd contract?

Well, the point I was trying to make was, were the Broncos going to pay him anywhere in that neighborhood?  No way, they have Thomas, and deemed Decker expendable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we would all be surprised how few offers most free agents get. If you think about the last few years the Bucs have been spending money, it seems we’ve gotten pretty much everyone we’ve actually tried to sign. I don’t think Vincent Jackson, Carl Nicks, Dashon Goldson, Michael Johnson, and Alterraun Verner seriously entertained other offers. I think the Bucs’ offers were far and away the best deals they had. If you think about it, most teams have limited cap room and limited needs. It’s not too often there’s much overlap. Also, you have to understand all players have egos and think they're going to win wherever they go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, the point I was trying to make was, were the Broncos going to pay him anywhere in that neighborhood?  No way, they have Thomas, and deemed Decker expendable.

probably not, but would you rather make more money for a loser or less for a winner? Either way you are making millions of dollars.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, you have to understand all players have egos and think they're going to win wherever they go.

this is certainly true, but he’d have to be very naive to think there’s not going to be a change from Peyton to geno.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, you have to understand all players have egos and think they're going to win wherever they go.

this is certainly true, but he'd have to be very naive to think there's not going to be a change from Peyton to geno.

Maybe so, but Peyton isn't going to still be around when Decker's contract is up. His time is very limited. And maybe Geno and Vick stink it up and the Jets draft Mariota or Winston or someone else and they have a Cam Newton/Andrew Luck instant impact. Things change quickly in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just to be clear I was mocking the typical **CENSORED** reactions from some posters on here.

EIther way, doesn't that make you a huge hypocrite?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

probably not, but would you rather make more money for a loser or less for a winner? Either way you are making millions of dollars.

Depends on the player. Say your Kapernick, and your a free agent. You know you can get 15mil plus from any interested team. So you pick the best team.On the other hand, a guy like Decker, who may not have got a lot of offers. He is going to jump on the Jets over inflated offer. Not giving a rats ass who the QB turns out to be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just responding again to someone attacking me first.  I never come after someone with personal attacks until they start in with me. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe so, but Peyton isn't going to still be around when Decker's contract is up. His time is very limited. And maybe Geno and Vick stink it up and the Jets draft Mariota or Winston or someone else and they have a Cam Newton/Andrew Luck instant impact. Things change quickly in the NFL.

sure, but you are still banking your prime years on geno smith. Either there’s a lot of trust in geno or decker wants 6 cars instead of two.  Or possibly the jets were his dream team. Who knows, it doesn’t matter. Heck, maybe geno impresses and they play in the Super Bowl and it was the right choice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just responding again to someone attacking me first.  I never come after someone with personal attacks until they start in with me.

Guess you saved the physical threats for me. Thanks. I feel special. Jokes aside, I forgive you for your lapse of judgment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Geezus dude!!!

Brilliant plan, actually!!

LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ten lb ass needs to cut back on the meth. It’s making him say silly things, like, “..glennon will start the season” and, “..geno is a future HOFer.”Personally, I wouldn't write geno completely off, but by watching his games I'd have to say he's average. Anything is possible, but idk if he's in the right situation, or has the time allowed to formulate a HOF career there. Even IF he was elite.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

of course its easy to type, its true. Your post makes it sound like no one else offered him a contract.

No one offered what the Jets offered. I'm not certain the Broncos offered one at all. If i recall correctly, they have to deal with Thomas and Thomas after this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am saying you prefer a mouth full of semen to a warm meal.

not a troll . .  will definitely show at G2G 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m sure Denver wanted him back and extended some kind of offer because they offered Sanders a decent contract if I’m not crazy (no clue what they gave him) to come in and replace him… but he wasn’t their top priority, they knew they needed to upgrade their D and they have higher priority guys coming up that need to be extended. He took a big deal to go to a big market team and play for an unknown at QB. I’m sure he’ll have a decent season but he’s going to have his work cut out for him, he can’t be expecting pinpoint passes thrown perfectly on time. As Sanders would say, he left “wr heaven”.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am saying you prefer a mouth full of semen to a warm meal.

not a troll . .  will definitely show at G2G 

Lol.

Please wait…

• DCBucsfan

Participant

Denver gave Emmanuel Sanders $15 million over three years, so they could have made a similar offer to Decker.  But Decker went after the cash.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Denver gave Emmanuel Sanders $15 million over three years, so they could have made a similar offer to Decker.  But Decker went after the cash.

Which is what almost everyone on here would do if given the opportunity.  Generational wealth is at your disposal if you play your cards right in the NFL.  Smart move on Decker's part.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

this is certainly true, but he'd have to be very naive to think there's not going to be a change from Peyton to geno.

I don't think he's naive... he played for Minnesota with Adam Webber.... I assume he knows how to identify and run away from a bad qb :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe they didn't want Decker. He was a nobody before playing with Manning. Maybe they think Sanders is better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe they didn't want Decker. He was a nobody before playing with Manning. Maybe they think Sanders is better.

A nobody? His first year in Denver (6 receptions, 106 yards 1 td), they had Jabar Gaffney (65 catches 875 and 2 tds), Eddie Royal (59 catches, 627 and 3 tds) and Brandon Llyod (77 catches 1,448 and 11 tds) I'd hardly say there was an opening for any rookie wr to unseat those guys. Demaryius Thomas was also selected in 2010, and he had 22 receptions for 200 some yards and 2 tds I believe.  And 2011, wasn't that the Tim Tebow  year? Decker still managed 44 catches 612 yds and 8 tds with possibly the worst qb to ever be a first round pick.  --I mean Demaryius Thomas only got 32 catches for 551 with 4 tds. So I guess D Thomas was a nobody as well before Manning?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Generational wealth is at your disposal if you play your cards right in the NFL.  Smart move on Decker's part.

sure, but what exactly is the cutoff line for generational wealth?  And how many guys really play their cards right in professional sports? Id venture a small percentage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Generational wealth is at your disposal if you play your cards right in the NFL.  Smart move on Decker's part.

sure, but what exactly is the cutoff line for generational wealth?  And how many guys really play their cards right in professional sports? Id venture a small percentage.

There is no cutoff, that's what makes it generational.  If the fruits of your labor provide for your family to provide for their family and so on, you have generational money.  This is not to say that every generation hereafter can sit on their collective hands and live but the money Decker made on this contract opens up options to set up many generations to come.  Not many play their cards right because they get caught up in tangible crap, as do their hangers ons, it's a vicious cycle.

Please wait…

• DCBucsfan

Participant

You certainly could be correct.  But I would think it’s highly unlikely that they wouldn’t want Decker for the same contract they gave Sanders.  The guy had over 2300 yds and 24 TDs in the last two years with the team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker is a genius really, he gets way more money to play 1/3 of the snaps he had to in Denver, plus with no playoffs anytime soon he just scored like 6 weeks more vacation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker is a genius really, he gets way more money to play 1/3 of the snaps he had to in Denver, plus with no playoffs anytime soon he just scored like 6 weeks more vacation.

Honestly, I'm not sure how they miss the playoffs.  That defense is to be respected.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, let's face it he's a good looking white guy with a smoking hot wife going to the media capital of the country. Playing for the Jets for a few years will set him up for a cushy broadcast job when he's done playing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Also, let's face it he's a good looking white guy with a smoking hot wife going to the media capital of the country. Playing for the Jets for a few years will set him up for a cushy broadcast job when he's done playing.

sure, if that’s his end game. But if its winning a Super Bowl?  Again, way too many variables to be definitive, and I probably overstated my original post. But as a WR I would attempt to find a great QB even if it meant losing a few Bucks on the front end.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker ski-masked the Jests.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decker ski-masked the Jests.

Awesome.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Eric Decker always wins211mbms.jpg

Please wait…

Viewing 54 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.