Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Ali Marpet, Tristan Wirfs, and Bradley Pinion named to PFF all Pro teams. Greatly deserved!

https://953wdae.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2021-01-05-three-bucs-total-named-to-first-and-second-team-pff-all-pro-teams/

• Biggs3535

Participant

This is odd, because I remember when PFF irrationally hated Buccaneers in general and supposed good OL like Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood. Either that irrational hatred has dissipated, or those supposed good OL were never really good OL.

Well deserved for both Marpet and Wirfs. It’s nice to have legitimately good players on the OL.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

But we only have one pro bowler!

Impossible!

Lawl

• RHBucsFan

Participant

The linked article had a great point about Marpet. When we had our midseason struggles it was when Marpet was sidelined with the concussion. As soon as we returned the offense, and especially Brady, started humming along again.

• garfield

Participant

Licht drafted both Wirfs and Marpet, and Godwin, and Evans, and Winfield, and Rojo, and Cappa, and so on and so forth. Yeah he has had plenty of misses, too, but he deserves credit where it is due.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

How’s LD54 not an all pro? Good god!

• JC5100

Participant

This is odd, because I remember when PFF irrationally hated Buccaneers in general and supposed good OL like Davin Joseph and Jeremy Trueblood. Either that irrational hatred has dissipated, or those supposed good OL were never really good OL.

Well deserved for both Marpet and Wirfs. It’s nice to have legitimately good players on the OL.

Even you can admit they have improved their grading in the last 10+ years.

2009 Week 1 vs Dallas was one of the best games I’ve ever seen a Bucs OL play (174 yards rushing, Leftwich not sacked on 44 drop backs vs a dominant front 7) and they gave the OL a cumulative negative rating.

• Diehard Astheycome

Participant

Licht drafted both Wirfs and Marpet, and Godwin, and Evans, and Winfield, and Rojo, and Cappa, and so on and so forth. Yeah he has had plenty of misses, too, but he deserves credit where it is due.

I get the sentiment of the post but considering you have SEVEN drafts and you have-

Two small school Guards, a WR from the best WR class to date ( pre 20’ class)and produced 17 Pro Bowlers of 32 1st rd picks. Not including Brandon Cooks , arguably the most underrated WR in NFL who averages 80 1100 a year. Also passing on DT named Donald to pair with G.McCoy to bring back ol’ TB identity.

Yes did land a great find in Godwin in 17’ but passed on OL, D. Cook AND Alvin Kamara who 90% of the world had us taking. So that draft as a whole was a miss. Which in turn triggers a butterfly effect of a 4 yr search to land a 3 down back. Which we STILL DON’T have. We have a runner who gets 15 carries “ IF” he’s lucky and is detrimental in passing game.
      Keep in mind WR n RB are easily the two most recycled spots that rarely if ever get a 2nd contract with the teams that draft them.

Lastly Wirfs and Winfield. It took literally having NO RT on the roster to protect Tom freaking Brady to address it. Which we were fortunate he fell cus Ari n Jax should have gone Tackle. In his defense he wanted Wirfs out of all four n tried to secure him all draft day. Winfield was only the 14th pick in 5 yrs trying to address a secondary WHICH still is going to be WHY we get eliminated.

I don’t want to bash him. I stopped that two yrs ago. So that wasn’t my agenda. It was more or less to say these “ hits” came at a cost or at least come with an (*)

I don’t dislike or hate Jason Licht. I always HOPE the best. However I will not ever sit back n accept he drafted well. That’s said I am focusing more on congratulating him for somehow hopefully getting us deep into this playoff run. Which is all I’m consumed with.

• Biggs3535

Participant

2009 Week 1 vs Dallas was one of the best games I’ve ever seen a Bucs OL play (174 yards rushing, Leftwich not sacked on 44 drop backs vs a dominant front 7) and they gave the OL a cumulative negative rating.

The grading hasn’t changed, yet people still have trouble understanding it. Your comment about no sacks = good OL play is an example.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

PFF is very odd. Last season, they said we had a top-10 OL, but our raw production was meh compared to 2018. So PFF is inflated for last year, imo. Then Marpet got hip surgery after the 2019 season. We see now that the surgery helped Marpet regain that mauling nature he had when he first started.

Back in 2017, Marpet started at center. According to FBO, we were constantly in the top-10 in pass blocking because Marpet gave Winston a pocket to step into. In 11 games started at center for Marpet, the OLine gave up only 20 sacks. In the final 5 games, both C Marpet and RT Dotson fell to injury, and the OLine gave up 20 sacks. That’s is why I was very confused when the team signed C Jensen when we already had our top-10 center in Marpet. In Jensen’s three years here, he’s had one okay season and two not so okay, 2018 and 2020. Remember, we made Jensen the highest paid center in 2018! smh

What is sad is that we have two defensive players still around from the Schiano regime (three coaches ago) who are very productive in LB LVD and DE Gholston. Licht has had 7 draft seasons; he better hit on some at the very least, considering he’s had 7 first round picks. Under the Schiano draft, he only had on 1 draft pick (the other draft pick was traded away for Revis Island).

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

Just saw that wirfs is rated the #2 RT in the league, allowed 1 sack and had 3 penalties….it’s worth taking time to give this guy some credit for coming in as a rookie tasked with protecting the greatest QB of all time and knocking it out of the park.

• JC5100

Participant

The grading hasn’t changed, yet people still have trouble understanding it. Your comment about no sacks = good OL play is an example.

Don’t forget Cadillac 13 for 97 and a TD and Ward 12 for 67 and a TD. Terrible day for the OL.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Pinion? The fuck?

Are we watching the same games?

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Just saw that wirfs is rated the #2 RT in the league, allowed 1 sack and had 3 penalties….it’s worth taking time to give this guy some credit for coming in as a rookie tasked with protecting the greatest QB of all time and knocking it out of the park.

Donovan Smith says those stats are weaksauce. He can up those numbers in a single quarter.

• m_j

Participant

marpet was a positive surprise for me this year, but it might be because they all attack smith, he always sucks!

• Biggs3535

Participant

Don’t forget Cadillac 13 for 97 and a TD and Ward 12 for 67 and a TD. Terrible day for the OL.

I was taking your word that they were graded poorly, because that usually was the case, but not this time. But here are their grades that game:

Davin Joseph – 78.7 (#1 grade on offense)
      Jeremy Trueblood – 76.2 (#3 grade on offense)
      Donald Penn – 69.3 (#5 grade on offense)
      Jeremy Zuttah – 65.0, which is bottom-end of average
      Jeff Faine – 61.6, below average

The OL did not have a cumulative negative grade for that game. The rest of the season was a different story however, as that was the highest graded game for the offense in 2009. That would make sense for a 3-13 football team.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.