Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• CaliBucsFan

Participant

Jacquies Smith; George Johnson; TJ FatinikunHenry Melton and Will Gholston listed at tackle but can play end also.This is a group that certainly inspires more fear in Buc's fans than in opposing QB's.I've been scouring the cuts for any talent but it seems that teams don't really cut pass rushers. The D should still be pretty good but will never be elite until we get a real playmaker at DE.  Probably gotta wait until next year though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully one of these guys steps up this season (Johnson or Smith), but I’m not feeling well about this either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with everything you said. Definitely want to grab an edge rusher with our 1st rounder next year. That’s the one thing we’re missing from having a great defense, IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with everything you said. Definitely want to grab an edge rusher with our 1st rounder next year. That's the one thing we're missing from having a great defense, IMO.

Pretty sure that's the plan, probably at least 2.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree with everything you said. Definitely want to grab an edge rusher with our 1st rounder next year. That's the one thing we're missing from having a great defense, IMO.

Pretty sure that's the plan, probably at least 2.

I'd be fine going DE and o-line throughout the entire draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d feel a lot better if smith and fat were healthy

Please wait…

• austin1211

Participant

could def use another edge rusher

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember the Bucs D under Dungy was slowly getting to be good, but wasn’t great until Simeon literally fell into our laps. This D now appears to be following a similar path. Where is our new Simeon coming from…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dungy’s defense wasn’t dominate until we got Rice, but was functional with DE’s that weren’t the best. I remember in 96, we burned two first rounders on Marcus Jones and Regan Upshaw. Neither turned out to be very good, but we did get one 10 sack season out of Jones, mostly because of the interior rush from Sapp that pushed the QB out wide into the DE.Lovie seems to be working toward the same thing. It looks like we are going to have a strong interior rush which should push the QB into the arms of the DEs on the ends. Could be that we could get some decent sack numbers out of a decent DE. For this season, I'm fine if the DE's can just contain on the outside and clean up what sacks they can get when the QB attempts to flee the interior pressure. If we can do that, I think we'll be okay.One thing that I really liked from the defense this preseason was all the take aways. If we can continue that trend into the season, the defense can win us a few games this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You don’t need a dominating DE for this defense to work but you need a rotation at least.  The Bucs kind of had one last year but it wasn’t a rotation that scared any team.  Bucs still do not have a fearsome rotation of fresh pass rushers to come off the bench.  Waiver wire pick ups this year and the next draft should remedy this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember the Bucs D under Dungy was slowly getting to be good, but wasn't great until Simeon literally fell into our laps. This D now appears to be following a similar path. Where is our new Simeon coming from...

JPP anybody?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember the Bucs D under Dungy was slowly getting to be good, but wasn't great until Simeon literally fell into our laps. This D now appears to be following a similar path. Where is our new Simeon coming from...

JPP anybody?

He's the Giants property and if they don't want him then no one will want him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCoy can dominate like he did in the Cincy game and start to open up the sides then we’ve seen what this defense can achieve even with just serviceable DEs. Problem is when he can't beat the obvious targeting on the inside, then the one 1-on-1's are lost outside. He was right when he said he takes this team as far as it can go. He knows what we have on the outside. He knows.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 official DEs but Melton and Gholston can both flip outside in a pinch. Love has downplayed it a bunch, but I think the plan is to have Melton play LDE a good bit this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It seems really hard to find premium edge rushers in the draft, especially if you’re not picking top 10. Should be the same big names around again in Free Agency next year though, Justin Houston and Greg Hardy. I’d target one of them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m concerned that we didn’t see anything from Jacquies Smith in the preseason. His play really helped McCoy, and vice versa, late last year. Hopefully he can continue that this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3 official DEs but Melton and Gholston can both flip outside in a pinch. Love has downplayed it a bunch, but I think the plan is to have Melton play LDE a good bit this season.

I don't like that plan as of yet. I don't see how Melton will be an upgrade from Smith at LDE last year. Now maybe Smith will be rushing from the right and be good there too, but until I see it, I'm skeptical.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Huh? The 1999 D was incredible, and that was Chidi Ahanotu and Steve White at DE. You may remember what they did to the Greatest Show on Turf in the playoffs?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was listening to Steve White talk about the edge rushers and his biggest thing was they need someone who could get the F off the ball!. His point was simply you have to have someone to at least keep the OT from helping the G with GMC. Only way to do that was get a rusher to keep the tackle committed to that edge guy up the field. At least this is the way I understood it. He was saying the DE’s jobs while he was there was to free Sapp to do his work. Period.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you are interested in hearing him verbatim I highly suggest listening to latest WTB? podcast from this past Wed. Steve, as usual, is priceless. If offended by language, be warnedhttp://whatthebuc.net/2015/09/02/podcast-holy-beatbrown-batman-we-talk-week-3/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you are interested in hearing him verbatim I highly suggest listening to latest WTB? podcast from this past Wed. Steve, as usual, is priceless.

He's the man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you are interested in hearing him verbatim I highly suggest listening to latest WTB? podcast from this past Wed. Steve, as usual, is priceless.

He's the man.

I could listen to him for hours

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JPP anybody?

He is their property this year but isn't he a free agent next year? I could be wrong though I'm not sure.

Please wait…

• dalaca

Participant

JPP anybody?

He is their property this year but isn't he a free agent next year? I could be wrong though I'm not sure.

I'm not sure, but I believe they could sign him or franchise tag him.

Please wait…

• 69ragtop

Participant

I have a feeling that Randy Gregory will make several teams upset for not drafting him.I completely understand the reasons and it could be reasonably argued we just couldn't afford the risk.    I liked the Marpet pick and I still do but Winston/Gregory/Marpet was what I wanted during the draft ( once Gregory fell from 1st Rd).  Smith had questions about him. I doubt he was listed as a second round talent on all of the teams draft boards yet we picked him.  I just don't think you let a potential 1st pick go to #60 when that position is second to QB in importance.  I'm not a big risk taker but I think this one was worth it. Only time will tell    Protecting Winston I get it but does anyone else besides me feel like that was a reach?      As far a Gregory is concerned. His "issues" might be more of an asset than people think. It's sometimes hard to admit but from what I read I share the same ones or similar.              Telling a guy with some emotional issues to go vent by ripping a QB's head off sounds like therapy.    I guess in the end he isn't a Buc so I have to let it go.  Who are the top pass rushers for the next draft?  

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Next years draft will be all about filling up the lines and secondary, the season after that we will be the closest thing to a complete team we’ve seen in a very long time here. Lack of defensive end talent is going to hurt us this year, it will be addressed early in the draft and possibly free agency next season. Not much we’re going to find at this point.

Please wait…

• austin1211

Participant

I’m telling ya….we should really look into this guy.  Reid seems pretty high on him.https://youtu.be/Kamh0Gn2TNA

Please wait…

• austin1211

Participant

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article34297266.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

JPP anybody?

I'm not sure, but I believe they could sign him or franchise tag him.

Why would you want him?  The guy had most of his sacks versus crap teams and is now missing a digit.  He has ignored the Giants for 2 months.  He's trying not to get put on the non football injury PUP list.  He's more worried about this year's checks then next year or the year after that?  WHy?  I have a strong strong suspicion that he's probably done.  If he can convince them to let him play he's got at least $9 mill coming to him.  That might be all he gets from here on out. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was listening to Steve White talk about the edge rushers and his biggest thing was they need someone who could get the F off the ball!. His point was simply you have to have someone to at least keep the OT from helping the G with GMC. Only way to do that was get a rusher to keep the tackle committed to that edge guy up the field. At least this is the way I understood it. He was saying the DE's jobs while he was there was to free Sapp to do his work. Period.

I said this a month ago. All the DE’s have to do is get off the ball and take a good angle using speed and the QB will have to decide where to go in the pocket.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Go get Willie Young. He’s playing out of position in Chicago.

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.