Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

2014 NFL Draft: Top 3 Quarterback Sleepers By Alex Whiteman April 09, 2014 12:28 pm In last year's draft class, players such as Andre Ellington, Zac Stacy, Kenny Stills, David Bakhtiari, Keenan Allen, Tyrann Matheiu, and Larry Warford proved that draft position does not decide success at the next level.This year, some late risers are about to prove the very same. Strong arm quarterback Tom Savage is showing scouts that he possesses the potential to be a successful quarterback in the NFL. Other scouts are raving about Indiana’s Cody Latimer, who is just coming off an injury and back onto the draft scene.Teams are looking for the next Russell Wilson to select in this year’s draft class, all one team has to do his hit a diamond in the rough. sleep_zps9a844fed.jpgTom Savage, Quarterback, Pittsburgh Height: 6'4Weight: 228 lbs.40 Time: 4.97Pittsburgh's Tom Savage already has a similarity with Super Bowl Champion Russell Wilson. Savage bounced around multiple collegiate football programs, learning, understanding, and executing different offenses. The college journeyman has arguably the strongest arm in this class, and can make any throw on the football field with ease. He has seen his draft stock rise from the 6th round, to whispers of the early 2nd. While his footwork on his release could use improvement, some team is going to fall in love with this project as early as Day 2 of the NFL Draft.sleep1_zpsb1dd96dd.jpgTajh Boyd, Quarterback, Clemson Height: 6'1Weight: 222 lbs.40 Time: 4.84With the love affinity of mobile quarterbacks in today's NFL, it seems absolutely ridiculous that Clemson's Tajh Boyd is not valued higher than he is. One of the ultimate sleepers in this draft class, Boyd has won every record a quarterback could want in the ACC. His statistics and wins have bolstered his impressive resume.Along with the things on paper, Boyd has plus arm strength with the dual threat ability. Boyd's short and intermediate accuracy should make him a like-able prospect. A team could do much worse than pick up Boyd in the middle rounds, and prove once again, that size in a quarterback does not determine success in the NFL.sleep2_zps628ad8ad.jpgJimmy Garoppolo, Quarterback, Eastern Illinois Height: 6'2Weight: 226 lbs.40 Time: 4.97Beginning as a virtual unknown at the start of the 2013/2014 college football season, Eastern Illinois quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo has thrust himself into the conversation with an extremely successful offseason. Despite this, teams will always be hesitant on taking such a small school prospect.Garoppolo is a craftsman in terms of his mechanics, delivery, and footwork. With a lightning quick release, the short and intermediate game comes easy to him. Although his throws are often off target when under pressure, if the right footwork is executed, Garoppolo is deadly accurate.The small school Eastern Illinois quarterback will be taken somewhere in the middle rounds, and a team will be very surprised with how much competition he will bring to a proven starter.http://www.footballnation.com/content/2014-nfl-draft-top-3-quarterback-sleepers/29106/

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boyd is the one that doesn’t belong on this list.I'd have Garoppolo as early as the 2nd (prefereably in the 3rd - but dude has got hyped) and Savage as early as the 5th... Developmental prototype QB. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure other than the arm I see a lot about savage I like.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Size and athleticism.His question mark is football intelligence IMO.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Garbage.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Garett Gilbert !!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jeff MatthewsBrett SmithKeith Wenning

• Anonymous

Inactive

Savage can really sling it! Agree Boyd doesn't belong on that list.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stephen Morris!!!!!!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

It would be funny if Dallas drafted Garoppolo. Romo went to the same school.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It would be funny if any of these guys get drafted.  Movie trailer voice “In a draft when every QB stunk on ice……………………….these guys were the smelliest.” 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very high on Goroppolo. Think he’ll go in 2nd round.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Keith Price.

• Scholty

Participant

James FranklinBrett SmithJimmy Garoppolo

• Anonymous

Inactive

How are Garoppolo and Boyd considered sleepers? Everyone and their mom knows about the.Jeff MatthewsKeith WenningBrock JensenThose are three Quarterback Sleepers.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boyd is rubbish.

• Scholty

Participant

How are Garoppolo and Boyd considered sleepers? Everyone and their mom knows about the.

A sleeper could be an unknown or an underrated player, though I understand the point you're trying to make about how can a high 2nd round pick be a sleeper.But I bet a lot of casual fans have no idea who Jimmy Garoppolo or even Derek Carr are.

• Anonymous

Inactive

And Boyd is the opposite of a sleeper. Everyone knows his name because if he came out last year he probably would have been the #1 QB in the draft…..but stayed in college and was exposed. He is now a 7th round guy because he is awful and everyone knows it. Dude is clearly a product of having DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, and Martavis Bryant at WR.

• Anonymous

Inactive

And Boyd is the opposite of a sleeper. Everyone knows his name because if he came out last year he probably would have been the #1 QB in the draft.....but stayed in college and was exposed. He is now a 7th round guy because he is awful and everyone knows it. Dude is clearly a product of having DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, and Martavis Bryant at WR.

Do you think Manziel was carried by his receivers…

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

Screen%20Shot%202014-04-11%20at%2012.56.39%20AM.pngJust a handful of tweets I saw earlier.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dbuc, I was a big fan of Sw0pe and Evans is really good, but I don’t think they carried Johnny. It’s funny because a lot of people hate on Johnny for the LSU game, but if you really watch that game…it was Evans. He was just off. He had a lot of drops. Had one hit him in the  numbers and bounce off for an Interception. Same thing in the Missouri game….but Manziel gets the blame. Truth is, Manziel did depend on Mike a lot because Mike was not only a great WR but he was really the only dependable weapon after Sw0pe left. When Evans sucked like he did vs. LSU and Mizz….Johnny sucked too. So I can see the argument, but I think it had more to do with the lack of talent outside of Evans than anything else. Manziel and Evans were like 90% of the offense and their defense was awful, so if either guy was off, it got ugly. They were very symbiotic. With Boyd and Mettenberger, they just had such amazing talent on offense that I think anyone would have looked good under center. It wasn't just one player like with Manziel. They were surrounded with top tier talent so they had big stats and it makes it hard to judge just how good they are. If Boyd hadn't failed so ridiculously bad this year...he'd probably still be considered a top QB. Florida State exposed him though and he never really regained any sort of form after that. I do think that Johnny will need some big targets that he can hit deep in order to be successful in the NFL. A big part of his game is avoiding pressure, extending the play, and then delivering a perfectly timed, accurate deep ball. With out the right receivers to take advantage of that, he will struggle. At least I think he will.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks Jdouble – I am thinking most qbs need the right receiver group – it is the exceptional qb who don’t.  But that said, I like Johnny but I don’t know if I like him enough… lol.  What do you think of Aaron Murray – who I like anywhere from the 3rd on…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve gone back and forth on Murray. I started off the year by thinking he was garbage. Then he grew on me just a little…but in the end I don’t think he is all that good. I kinda heap him in with several other QBs that I would take a shot on in the 4th round or later. The two things that bother me the most about Murray is that he was a big choke artist for most of his career, and his arm is weak. He did a little to shake that choke artist label, but I'm not sure he did enough. And as far as the arm goes, the Rotoworld QB Metrics really just backed up what I already saw, which is that his deep ball is awful. Out of all the QBs included, he had the least amount of 20+ yard attempts and of those attempts he had a very, very low completion rate. Plus his completion rate dropped to 50% when pressured. He might be a guy that could sit behind a veteran starter for 3 years and end up being pretty good, but I don't think he is a good fit here. He probably do well in New Orleans. http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/46748/349/peshek-qb-metrics-20

• Scholty

Participant

Murray seemed less impressive with every passing year.  I don’t at all see him as an NFL starter.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boid is rubbish.

Fixed it for ya.  Although it's true Boyd is rubbish also.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I do not get criticism of Boyd and the worship of Carr. They have many similarities in their inaccuracy, poor footwork and tendency to fold like a lawn chair against pressure. Criticize both, don’t be unfair to Boyd.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dbuc, I was a big fan of Sw0pe and Evans is really good, but I don't think they carried Johnny. It's funny because a lot of people hate on Johnny for the LSU game, but if you really watch that game...it was Evans. He was just off. He had a lot of drops. Had one hit him in the  numbers and bounce off for an Interception. Same thing in the Missouri game....but Manziel gets the blame. Truth is, Manziel did depend on Mike a lot because Mike was not only a great WR but he was really the only dependable weapon after Sw0pe left. When Evans sucked like he did vs. LSU and Mizz....Johnny sucked too. So I can see the argument, but I think it had more to do with the lack of talent outside of Evans than anything else. Manziel and Evans were like 90% of the offense and their defense was awful, so if either guy was off, it got ugly. They were very symbiotic. With Boyd and Mettenberger, they just had such amazing talent on offense that I think anyone would have looked good under center. It wasn't just one player like with Manziel. They were surrounded with top tier talent so they had big stats and it makes it hard to judge just how good they are. If Boyd hadn't failed so ridiculously bad this year...he'd probably still be considered a top QB. Florida State exposed him though and he never really regained any sort of form after that. I do think that Johnny will need some big targets that he can hit deep in order to be successful in the NFL. A big part of his game is avoiding pressure, extending the play, and then delivering a perfectly timed, accurate deep ball. With out the right receivers to take advantage of that, he will struggle. At least I think he will.

I totally disagree with you on Boyd - he'd have been exposed very early in the process, once the real tape guys got involved.  At the same time he was being touted by Kiper last year, the NFL Advisory Cmte. told him he'd be a mid-rounder. Personally, I think Boyd might be an interesting long-term project.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.