Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

5 questions Bucs hope to resolve before draft Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer? ? Monday, April 21, 2014 4:04pm glennon_zpsa754fff3.pngWILL VRAGOVIC | Times The Bucs question how well Mike Glennon can function in Jeff Tedford's new offense, which puts a premium on accuracy and requires some mobility. TAMPA — The NFL draft still is two weeks away but the Bucs' most important evaluation period may be over the next three days during their voluntary (wink, wink) minicamp. Bucs coach Lovie Smith has only seen his players on tape, not live on grass and certainly not trying to execute his offensive and defensive schemes. How those players perform will greatly impact the draft. "If you're on the roster right now, we've seen something in you we'd like to explore a little bit more," Smith said. Here are five things the Bucs hope to discover during minicamp: Can Mike Glennon function well in Jeff Tedford's offense? No player has more to prove this week than quarterback Mike Glennon. The Bucs felt the need to sign Bears free agent Josh McCown to a two-year, $10 million contract and name him the starter. That's not a ringing endorsement for Glennon. The Bucs question how well he can function in Tedford's new offense, which puts a premium on accuracy and requires some mobility. If Glennon impresses, the Bucs may feel comfortable waiting at least another year to draft a quarterback, particularly in the first few rounds. If not, he becomes trade bait on the second or third day of the draft. "What we like is how he came in as a rookie in a tough situation, lots going on, and he stayed focused," Smith said. "Things that Mike needs to work on, he's been told his whole life: mobility, (being) a little bit more active in the pocket." Do the Bucs need to make the offensive line a big priority in the draft? The Bucs believe they have three solid offensive linemen — right tackle Demar Dotson, left tackle Anthony Collins and center Evan Dietrich-Smith. They can't be sure what — if anything — they will get from guard Carl Nicks, who has played in nine games the past two seasons. Nicks won't participate in this minicamp. No team has five great offensive linemen, but you'd like to have four. And it's hard to evaluate linemen without pads. The Bucs could draft a tackle at No. 7 and have spent a lot of time with Texas A&M's Jake Matthews, Auburn's Greg Robinson, Michigan's Taylor Lewan and Notre Dame's Zack Martin. All could play guard for a season or so before moving outside to tackle. How big is the lack of play-making ability at receiver? The Bucs have a glaring lack of speed on offense, particularly at receiver. Vincent Jackson still is very productive, but he no longer scares a defense as a deep threat. The Bucs traded Mike Williams to Buffalo because of character issues. The players they've signed — Lavelle Hawkins, Louis Murphy — aren't really upgrades from Williams on the field. Skye Dawson, Chris Owusu and Russell Shepard return without a ton of upside. "We have young players who have potential," Smith said. "I know that's a scary word. I think there's a deep group of receivers in the draft." Most mock drafts have the Bucs taking Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans at No. 7. Eight or nine receivers could go in the first round. What's the future for defensive ends Adrian Clayborn and Da'Quan Bowers? Clayborn, who had 5.5 sacks last season, will get the first shot to start at left defensive end, Smith said. Free agent Michael Johnson is the starting right end. But it's hard to know how Clayborn and Bowers will fit in Leslie Frazier's defensive scheme, which emphasizes pass rush ability over everything else. Bowers has been a disappointment. He had one sack and seven tackles last season. But give defensive line coach Joe Cullen — a Rod Marinelli disciple — some time to work with Bowers and who knows what can happen? The Bucs will use a rotation of seven defensive linemen. Is Johnthan Banks a Cover 2 corner? The Bucs love Banks, the second-round pick from Mississippi State. He showed flashes as a rookie. But as a Cover 2 corner, he has to be physical and willing to set the edge in the run game. His ball skills are a plus and he should be in position for more interceptions in a mix of zone and man coverage. The Bucs signed defensive backs Mike Jenkins and D.J. Moore. One of them will emerge as the nickel cornerback. The other could push Banks and likely serve as his backup.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We almost have to address the Oline and WR in the draft. As much as I’d like a QB, maybe I’m being a little unrealistic. We have some big holess as of now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon has to be the biggest question mark out of all those.  They need to make a decision on him, and who knows, maybe they already have.  We will see soon enough, if they trade him on draft day for a late rounder. Or maybe they keep him around for the season and see how it goes. That would depend on if they draft a QB in 3 weeks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I honestly think the decision is 90% made on Glennon (100% sure if they draft a QB.)How does a guy get more mobile?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I honestly think the decision is 90% made on Glennon (100% sure if they draft a QB.)How does a guy get more mobile?

scooter2.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think how Glennon looks this week means very little. His problem is becoming a useless spaz under pressure…and there will be no pressure this week. He’ll stand in a clean pocket and look good. Won’t change anything imo.As far as this draft goes, if we draft for need we will be forced to take multiple OGs and WRs early and we will almost certainly be missing out on the BPA with each pick. I hope we look long term and take the best player available. If that means we end up going 6-10 this year, then so be it. I don't wanna pass up a Lavonte David or Warren Sapp type guy because his position wasn't one of our desperate needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think how Glennon looks this week means very little. His problem is becoming a useless spaz under pressure...and there will be no pressure this week. He'll stand in a clean pocket and look good. Won't change anything imo.As far as this draft goes, if we draft for need we will be forced to take multiple OGs and WRs early and we will almost certainly be missing out on the BPA with each pick. I hope we look long term and take the best player available. If that means we end up going 6-10 this year, then so be it. I don't wanna pass up a Lavonte David or Warren Sapp type guy because his position wasn't one of our desperate needs.

I don't disagree with you but based on the offseason moves I think they are leaning towards win now

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m more worried about RG than I am Glennon. I think LnL know what they have in him, or think they do anyways.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think how Glennon looks this week means very little. His problem is becoming a useless spaz under pressure...and there will be no pressure this week. He'll stand in a clean pocket and look good. Won't change anything imo.As far as this draft goes, if we draft for need we will be forced to take multiple OGs and WRs early and we will almost certainly be missing out on the BPA with each pick. I hope we look long term and take the best player available. If that means we end up going 6-10 this year, then so be it. I don't wanna pass up a Lavonte David or Warren Sapp type guy because his position wasn't one of our desperate needs.

Being a rookie on a horrible offense with terrible coaches probably didn't account for any of his flaws. Im sure he's useless regardless of all those things and has no shot of improving after his rookie year.  He actually had a solid season for a rookie on horrible team and system but I'm sure you are correct and it was problem his ceiling. He just came in and immediately played as good he will ever play..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They forgot the most important one…"If I shart, will it bleed through these new pants?"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Being a rookie on a horrible offense with terrible coaches probably didn't account for any of his flaws. Im sure he's useless regardless of all those things and has no shot of improving after his rookie year.  He actually had a solid season for a rookie on horrible team and system but I'm sure you are correct and it was problem his ceiling. He just came in and immediately played as good he will ever play..

Exactly. No player has ever improved beyond his rookie season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Byron leftwich says “hi”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just about every player grows and gets better each year as they continue to play….but sh!tting the bed every time you get pressured is a trait that you don’t normally grow out of. Glennon has the Rob Johnson/Blaine Gabbert gene. It’s irreversible and fatal. Sorry. Derek Carr has this rare genetic disease too. It's called Spazunderpressureitious. So we should stay far away from him also.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No to “mcnabbs!”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just about every player grows and gets better each year as they continue to play....but sh!tting the bed every time you get pressured is a trait that you don't normally grow out of. Glennon has the Rob Johnson/Blaine Gabbert gene. It's irreversible and fatal. Sorry. Derek Carr has this rare genetic disease too. It's called Spazunderpressureitious. So we should stay far away from him also.

Just out of curiosity how many QB's not named Luck have you have wanted the Buc's to draft that have gone on to become great QB's?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn’t realize I wanted the Bucs to draft Luck. That is silly. We never had an opportunity.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon has to be the biggest question mark out of all those.  They need to make a decision on him, and who knows, maybe they already have.  We will see soon enough, if they trade him on draft day for a late rounder. Or maybe they keep him around for the season and see how it goes. That would depend on if they draft a QB in 3 weeks.

I think the decision was made weeks ago...The Bucs do not feature Glennon as being the starting QB...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just about every player grows and gets better each year as they continue to play....but sh!tting the bed every time you get pressured is a trait that you don't normally grow out of. Glennon has the Rob Johnson/Blaine Gabbert gene. It's irreversible and fatal. Sorry. Derek Carr has this rare genetic disease too. It's called Spazunderpressureitious. So we should stay far away from him also.

Just out of curiosity how many QB's not named Luck have you have wanted the Buc's to draft that have gone on to become great QB's?

Well, if your point is to say I'm no expert. Let me save you the time.....I am no expert. I do watch quite a bit of a player and form my own opinion though. With Carr, I have watched 15 of his games going back to 2011. I've watched some of them several times. I am very confident in my opinion of him. He can be a game manager in a west coast system that has him throwing quick short passes, but he lacks the ability to avoid pressure to extend a play, his mechanics/accuracy and decsion making goes to sh!t when he is under pressure, and despite his "big arm" his accuracy past 10 yards is average at best and often times awful. As far as your question, I haven't been looking at many QBs recently because we had Freeman. The only QBs to make my Fav 50 in the past 5 years are Josh Freeman (1st), Tyrod Taylor (4th), Russell Wilson (2nd-3rd), Kirk Cousins (3rd), Pat Devlin (5th-6th), and Tyler Wilson (4th-5th). Mixed bag but not awful.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the decision was made weeks ago...The Bucs do not feature Glennon as being the starting QB...

It does seem that way. Maybe they draft a QB in the first or second round, and once the pick is announced, they shop Glennon for a late rounder.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think IF the bucs sign a qb, they will at least be considering keeping 3 qbs.  I think glennon will develop into one of the better backup qbs in the leage.  mccown is a stopgap qb.  I think glennon’s lack of mobility will keep him from ever getting a starting job, so if we can get a true starter in the next 2 years, we will be set at the qb position (starter and backup) for the next 10 years.  why on earth would we just throw that away for what would probably be a guy trying to make the team by shinning on special teams.  some third string linebacker who is pretty good on special teams is a lot easier to find than a solid backup qb who prepares well.

Please wait…

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.