Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 28 reply threads

• Author

• Pennywise

Participant

Adam Schefter
      @AdamSchefter
      Bucs’ and OT Donovan Smith reached agreement on a two-year, $31.8 million contract extension through 2023 that now includes $30 million guaranteed over the next two seasons, per sources.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I wonder how much cap space that frees up. I expect a few more extensions to happen. Bucs have like 8 or more major UFAs in 2022. Extend at least half of those players this year and work on the rest of the extensions next year and you can retain most of the players you want to keep.

Build the trenches!

• buc_boi

Participant

Quality player, that I’m glad Jason extended.

• SwarmingDefense

Participant

hmmm 🤔

I wonder if Cam Jordan will tweet about it this time.

D Smith leaves a lot to be desired with his inconsistent play. I would’ve preferred to draft a replacement but maybe Brady can keep him motivated.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Well it ensures the Bucs don’t have to draft an OT in 2021 or 2022 so that frees up draft capital to address making the front seven younger on defense, adding another CB/S and or a younger, better interior OL.

If Bucs want to draft a swing OT to groom for 2023 starting line up they can do so starting this year or next too.

Build the trenches!

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

They can still draft another OT to groom for when Smith leaves. But this frees up draft capital to work on the D-Line.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I believe they will draft an OT to replace Haeg. More likely Wells re-signs with Bucs and the Bucs draft a young swing OT to also play in jumbo formations as a TE.

Build the trenches!

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Smith has grown under this coaching staff. I think Smith simply does better in this type of offense and probably would be even better in a short passing WCO. Koetter’s offense puts a lot of stress on OTs as the Falcons saw last year. It also helps to have Gronk to help chip for either side of the line too. When Gronk lines up next to Smith on the left side or with Wirfs the LoS is moved which is a nice sight to see.

Build the trenches!

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Looks like this move frees up about $10.6M in cap space.

Apparently, his $14.2M base is mostly converted to bonus and two years are voidable.

Greenberg having himself a fantastic offseason.

• obuc

Participant

right, 10.6 mil in cap space. They signed Suh for 1 year for 9 mill, dont know if all of it counts against the cap or if they gave him a ghost year or not. If it all counts then they have 1.6 still to use.

The draft picks will cost 4 mill or so , I heard, AB, 2? fournette, 4? and a QB, 1. that’s 11. they still need to clear another 10 mil the way that I see it.

• Greattimes

Participant

Great! Hopefully this allows the Bucs to come to agreements with Suh, Fournette and Brown.

• leeroybuc93

Participant

Looks like Suh contract is being finalized per Rappaport. This was the catalyst.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Looks like it’s being reported now, that Suh deal should be finalized today.

One year worth $9M (guaranteed).

• buc-in-out

Participant

He’ll be paid as the 9th highest LT in the league, I’m okay with the term and dollar amount. The guaranteed money ensures that he’ll be our starting LT until 2022, when Brady presumably hangs them up.

Another great move to keep the band together, I’m really happy this move allowed us to bring Suh back.

• leeroybuc93

Participant

I wonder if Cameron Jordan us gonna talk a bunch of shit on Twitter this time. Somehow I doubt it…

• BucsSavant

Participant

Considering the money tackles have been getting, I’m ok with it. I have long been critical of Smith but he had himself a career year last season. The talent was always there.

• LIBucsFan93

Participant

Donovan’s cap hit per Greg Auman on twitter is 3.6 million for 2021.

• m_j

Participant

I do not know! I am aware this was necessary in order to sign suh, but no matter how good he was in the playoffs, he‘s been a weak link for so long, can‘t see that miraculously going away.

• tiapanda

Participant

His punch to the chest that absolutely stymied Chase Young and turned him into a pussycat for the rest of the game, that was worth at least a half-million by itself.

• The Freeman

Participant

keep making excuse, he’s not a top 10 LT!

it’s hard to fix the position but i’ll take Trent Williams and his $20M/year deal over Smith $15-16M and our 2020 3rd round pick!

• buc_boi

Participant

Smith was never the weak link, Winston was.

That’s fairly obvious at this point.

• Pennywise

Participant

76 was never in danger of leaving , the staff loves his play

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Smith was mediocre at best throughout his career up until the last half of this season.

But, that last half earned him an extension IMO.

• seekpar

Participant

Agree with DH 100%.

• buc_boi

Participant

Riggght, cause you’re going to have a top 5 offense for multiple years with a ‘mediocre at best’ left tackle and no quarterback or running game.

I can clearly see those who initially labeled Smith a bust will never ever change their opinion of that, no matter what Smith does throughout his career, he’ll always be a bust to these same posters.

• The Freeman

Participant

he’s not a bust, he’s just below average and overpaid!
      below average production at LT from a 2nd round is not great but still solid value, but overpaying on a 2nd (and now 3rd) contract can’t be your first and only option every year!

• mjs020294

Participant

I am sure Brady had some input on his blindside protection’s performances. If Brady is ok with his level of performance its a great signing.

• buc_boi

Participant

Honestly, I’m surprised it wasn’t Mike Evans instead of Donovan Smith.

• seekpar

Participant

You’re just fried because your damn Uncle drafted 76!

• buc_boi

Participant

he’s not a bust, he’s just below average and overpaid!

Again with this value argument, what value would you put in a top 5 offense?

And Below average is your word for a valuable position that provided a top offense without a quarterback or running game.

^^^^ is worth every penny of Donavan smiths contract.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Bucs can do worse at LT compared to Smith. To me Smith would be an elite player playing in a run first offense. But given how pass happy the Bucs have been with multiple coaching staffs Smith’s play has held up.

If you compare Smith’s sacks surrendered relative to number of drop backs and compare to other LTs he is a lot better than people realize.

Build the trenches!

• Roy

Participant

They can still draft another OT to groom for when Smith leaves. But this frees up draft capital to work on the D-Line.

You wouldn’t use the first rounder on a tackle now. That would be a misuse of that rookie contract. You want to use that first rounder for a position where you get a starter if not right away then after a year to take advantage of the rookie contract. The only way this would work is if the guy could play guard for a couple years and then move to tackle.

But then when you get down to the later rounds I think for sure you want to build up our depth all across the line. Depending on the practice squad and guys basically off the street to be the primary backups is going to come back to bite you if one of those tackles goes down for an extended period. The draft is where you get those quality backups.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

To me if the Bucs want to maximize the five years worth of a first rounder this year you draft a RB, or pass rusher to be the #3 to see the field.

Bucs could always trade down and just build depth which isn’t a bad thing to do given how many UFAs there will be in 2022.

Build the trenches!

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.