Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 21 reply threads

• Author

• Zach Shapiro

Keymaster

• Anonymous

Inactive

With the changes in the kicking rules, and as teams adapt to them, don’t be surprised if more kickers are drafted in upcoming drafts.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I haven’t read much on these “mortar” kicks but is it basically an extremely high kickoff that lands somewhere within the 5-10 yard line and allows the coverage team to cover more ground for better KO coverage? 

• Anonymous

Inactive

I haven't read much on these "mortar" kicks but is it basically an extremely high kickoff that lands somewhere within the 5-10 yard line and allows the coverage team to cover more ground for better KO coverage?

yep. The concept has been around a long time.About a decade ago, a friend tried out for kicker with the Bucs. He could kickoff very long, do well with field goals, but he told me the Bucs spent most of his time there asking him to try to drop high floaters inside the 10. Not easy to do with a football on a tee. He described it as basically an intentional miss, like a pop up of the tee in golf.I guess the rule change is the issue, but I though the rule changes were designed to encourage touch backs not massive pile ups at the 10. Maybe the result would be a fair catch?

• Eddison Tollett

Participant

I am an FSU fan but I was very upset with Licht taking a kicker that high.  I would have much rather they spent just the extra 4th round pick they got from the trade down on Aguayo and even that is higher than I would go.From what I have seen kickers are rarely reliable or clutch.  We can probably consider ourselves very lucky if Aquayo is slightly better than Barth.  If Aquayo turns out to be a pro bowl kicker then I will be happy but picking a kicker that high is way too risky for my taste.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I haven't read much on these "mortar" kicks but is it basically an extremely high kickoff that lands somewhere within the 5-10 yard line and allows the coverage team to cover more ground for better KO coverage? 

+4 seconds hang time into a coffin corner...  not many kickers can consistently do that.

• suesweat

Participant

If Aquayo turns out to be a pro bowl kicker then I will be happy but picking a kicker that high is way too risky for my taste.

No risk no reward. You either support the move or you don't. There is no "if he turns out to be a pro bowler" crap. Well duh who doesn't support a move if it works out. Fair weather fans bro!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Conditional support for a draft day move is the privilege of fandom. Licht isn’t so lucky

• Anonymous

Inactive

Calling it now, in the upcoming season fox will have a hang time counter on kickoffs.

• Anonymous

Inactive

No risk no reward. You either support the move or you don't. There is no "if he turns out to be a pro bowler" crap. Well duh who doesn't support a move if it works out. Fair weather fans bro!

Man, it's hard to be wrong in every sentence of a post, but here we are!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Calling it now, in the upcoming season fox will have a hang time counter on kickoffs.

You're probably right. The irony will be if injuries increase because kickers get so good at hang time inside the 10 yd line.  Then, the one year rule will die.

• Eddison Tollett

Participant

If Aquayo turns out to be a pro bowl kicker then I will be happy but picking a kicker that high is way too risky for my taste.

I had no power in the decision.  If I did the bucs would have waited until the 4th round at the earliest to take a kicker.  Now that he has been drafted by the bucs I hope it turns out to be a great pick. 

• water130u128

I called the Aguayo pick about 5 minutes before we picked him.  Next thing I see is a trade up to pick and the Bucs called out his name and I said.. BOOM!!  This is a great pick guys.  You may not understand it completely yet, but it is a great kick.  Not only did FSU have the #1 kicking unit for 3 years, they had one of the best averages for the opposing teams field position.    Only once or twice in 3 years did I see Aguayo kick the coffin kick out of bounds.  He was usually money and they would usually catch the ball on the 1 or 2 yards line.    They can't take a knee in the endzone even if they wanted to.    Can't fair catch it because then you just get the ball where you catch it anyway.. does no good.  Such a great weapon that most teams don't have.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I called the Aguayo pick about 5 minutes before we picked him.  Next thing I see is a trade up to pick and the Bucs called out his name and I said.. BOOM!!  This is a great pick guys.  You may not understand it completely yet, but it is a great kick.  Not only did FSU have the #1 kicking unit for 3 years, they had one of the best averages for the opposing teams field position.    Only once or twice in 3 years did I see Aguayo kick the coffin kick out of bounds.  He was usually money and they would usually catch the ball on the 1 or 2 yards line.    They can't take a knee in the endzone even if they wanted to.    Can't fair catch it because then you just get the ball where you catch it anyway.. does no good.  Such a great weapon that most teams don't have.

And the most "swag" i have ever seen from a kicker..lol.

• dennisduq

Participant

Only a sith FSU fan would think Aguayo to be a great pick. Can you name even 1 kicker in NFL history besides Adam Vinatiari who gave their team the value of a 2nd rd pick?And #1 kicking unit for 3 years? Lol. He had a great freshman season where he had zero pressure due to the competition FSU faced that year, but his sophomore and junior seasons were standard when compared to other current NFL kickers. We should have stuck with Barth and used that pick on someone who will actually make a difference.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Only a sith FSU fan would think Aguayo to be a great pick. Can you name even 1 kicker in NFL history besides Adam Vinatiari who gave their team the value of a 2nd rd pick?And #1 kicking unit for 3 years? Lol. He had a great freshman season where he had zero pressure due to the competition FSU faced that year, but his sophomore and junior seasons were standard when compared to other current NFL kickers. We should have stuck with Barth and used that pick on someone who will actually make a difference.

Tempted to say Gramatica 99-2002 but he did miss a kick that would have made us the #2 and dropped us to #5.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jeez…  some of y’all act like a we tossed our first round pick around for RA  (78 Points for the fourth rounder or 1 / 16th the value of this years first round pick…1/16th…) I personally think using it to pick RA was bold and smart (which will play out in the next 4-10 seasons.)Here's a list of 4th rounders....22 (of 320) 4th rounders in the last 10 years of drafting made the pro bowl. (only common metric.)  Well over 1/2 aren't in the league and very, very few were or are starters.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/draft-finder.cgi?request=1&year_min=2006&year_max=2016&type=&round_min=4&round_max=4&slot_min=1&slot_max=500&league_id=NFL&team_id=&pos_new=qb&pos_new=rb&pos_new=wr&pos_new=te&pos_new=e&pos_new=t&pos_new=g&pos_new=c&pos_new=ol&pos_new=dt&pos_new=de&pos_new=dl&pos_new=lb&pos_new=db&pos_new=k&pos_new=p&college_id=all&conference=any&show=all&order_by=pro_bowls

• Anonymous

Inactive

116 of first rounders from 2006 to 2015 made the Pro Bowl. Should they have taken him in the first?And what's with using the fourth rounder? They used a second rounder on him.

• Anonymous

Inactive

original third and received fourth moved into the second…  someone was b1tching about keeping the fourth for some superstar.anyhoo

• farzillo

Participant

Can we get past the kicker? He’s a buccaneer now you should support him. Continually bitching about it isn’t going to change the fact that he is a buc.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can we get past the kicker? He's a buccaneer now you should support him. Continually (censored)ing about it isn't going to change the fact that he is a buc.

What is a kicker? Never heard of that before. Can we turn this into a Cameron Brate thread? He is awesome.

• Anonymous

Inactive

ProFootballTalk ?@ProFootballTalk 11m11 minutes agoFrom PFT Live, Bucs K Roberto Aguayo says he's never kicked below 50 degrees. (That likely will change 11/20 at Kansas City.)

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.