Viewing 32 reply threads

• Author

• TBbuccaneer40

Participant

I decided to look into comparing Matthew Stafford’s college career stats, who was a 1st overall pick in the 2009 draft and compare his career to Aaron Murray’s, both coming from the same school same conference. The difference in numbers are staggering. Matthew Stafford 2006-2008 @ Georgia 7,731 Passing Yds 51 TD 33 INT's57.1 COMP %That was during his whole career at Georgia, not in one season. He was a 1st overall pick. Now to Aaron Murray's Career at Georgia. Again, from same school and obviously same conference. Aaron Murray 2010-2013 @ Georgia13,166 Passing yds 121 TD's41 INT's62.3 COMP %I have a feeling that Murray may end up being a steal for someone in this year's draft. That he has the numbers of being worthy of a 1st overall pick if Stafford of all people was, who put up mediocre numbers in comparison to Murray who went to the same school. even though he's projected to go no earlier than 2 - 3rd round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m interested to see how Murray does at his Pro day coming up. If he performs well and we don’t have a QB taken by the third I would snag him in a heartbeat.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can’t look at the college stats of one successful NFL QB and decide another player with similar or better numbers will be successful, too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I listened to a Greg Cosell analysis of the QBs and he clearly wasn’t sold on Murray. He said people often compare him to Drew Brees, but he’s not the same type of fast-twitch athlete that Brees is in terms of navigating the pocket, avoiding the rush, going from movement to throwing the ball, etc.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can't look at the college stats of one successful NFL QB and decide another player with similar or better numbers will be successful, too.

Which one is a successful NFL QB?  ???

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can't look at the college stats of one successful NFL QB and decide another player with similar or better numbers will be successful, too.

Yeah, by that standard, Robbie Bosco wouldn't have been a bust.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carson Palmer 1998-2002 @ USC11,818 passing yards72 TD49 INT59.1% Matt Leinart 2003-2005 @ USC10,693 passing yards99 TD23 INT64.8%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why are these rookies compared to future HOF players?  No one knows what a player would look like in the pros.  I like Murray and would be happy with him.  I am more intrigued with him than Manziel.  Also, all these pros are making opinions that sometimes do no pan out.  Point-No one knows until they play!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stafford has one of the strongest arms in the league.  Murray probably doesn’t even have a pro caliber arm.

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

The only quarterbacks worth drafting are Johnny Football and Derek Carr.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL--How about you help with the other positions?  Cmon, no one knows with certainty how these players will perform in the pros.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bridewater will be better than both.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brady Quinn (Notre Dame) 2003-200611,762 Passing Yds95 TDs39 Ints58% Joe Montana (Notre Dame) 1976-19784,121 Passing Yds25 TDs25 Ints52%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stafford has one of the strongest arms in the league.  Murray probably doesn't even have a pro caliber arm.

He might have the stronger arm of the two, but Murray still threw for more than twice as many yards and touchdowns and was more accurate. I think that would matter most than arm strength.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

College stats mean nothing when you are talking about a prospect transitioning to the NFL.

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

College stats mean nothing when you are talking about a prospect transitioning to the NFL.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My point that I’m trying to make is, why isn’t Aaron Murray considered a top tier pick in this draft, when you have a guy who he shattered statistically from the same school that went 1st overall in the draft?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My point that I'm trying to make is, why isn't Aaron Murray considered a top tier pick in this draft, when you have a guy who he shattered statistically from the same school that went 1st overall in the draft?

Well, the ACL is a slight factor....but it runs a lot deeper than that.The biggest difference between the two is that Stafford has the prototypical body that NFL scouts and personnel love. 6'3, 230+ with a huge arm. That right there is looked at as the foundation of, "this guy could become an elite top 5 passer". Every QB that comes into the league is going to have to master the mental part of the game to become elite, but the once with the physical build/skills of someone like Stafford are looked at as having the advantage and the fact that there are no physical questions, makes it much easier for a GM/HC to pull the trigger on a guy who is not having to overcome not being able to make certain passes..etc. For the NFL, the fact that you were able to put up great numbers at the collegiate level, it really doesn't matter. A QBs games has to be elevated exponentially. There are college throws that are TDs vs Vanderbilt, but would be an INT the other way vs the Packers/Bears, etc. He is probably at most, a 3rd rounder at this point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on college stats Josh Johmson in free agency is a no-brainer. I never ever look at college stats. I simply do the eyeball test. Murray doesnt pass my eyeball test. He doesnt have the size and he uses too much body when he throws. Which is an indication of a weak arm. I didnt spend too much time watching him but looks like he also was in the shotgun formation for a majority of plays. He is a Matt McGloin type. Not the kind of player I would use a draft pick on.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yet Cody Grimm passed Goldson Age’s eyeball test. LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Grimm passed my eye baller test. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Based on college stats Josh Johmson in free agency is a no-brainer. I never ever look at college stats. I simply do the eyeball test. Murray doesnt pass my eyeball test. He doesnt have the size and he uses too much body when he throws. Which is an indication of a weak arm. I didnt spend too much time watching him but looks like he also was in the shotgun formation for a majority of plays. He is a Matt McGloin type. Not the kind of player I would use a draft pick on.

It all depends alot the schools and conferences they're in, some are more competitive than others. JJ went to relatively small school and lit it up against no competition and not as much talent. Murray went to Georgia, alot more talented conference in SEC and more competition you won't have in school like San Diego State.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Murray could be pretty good, but I also think there are other QBs in this draft with more potential than him who will go after the 1st. The QB position as a hole is deeper than last year for sure, although the top tier guys all have question marks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matthew Stafford 2006-2008 @ Georgia 7,731 Passing Yds 51 TD 33 INT's57.1 COMP %That was during his whole career at Georgia, not in one season. He was a 1st overall pick. Now to Aaron Murray's Career at Georgia. Again, from same school and obviously same conference. Aaron Murray 2010-2013 @ Georgia13,166 Passing yds 121 TD's41 INT's62.3 COMP %

Same team, same conference:David Greene11,528 Passing Yds72 TDs32 Ints59%

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It all depends alot the schools and conferences they're in, some are more competitive than others. JJ went to relatively small school and lit it up against no competition and not as much talent. Murray went to Georgia, alot more talented conference in SEC and more competition you won't have in school like San Diego State.

I think other posters said it, you can't look at school, conference, or stats.  Danny wueffel, Tim tebow, Charlie ward, should be hall of fame players with guys like David klingler.  There are a lot of successful college QB's that just do not have the arm or decision making to make it in the NFL.  Murry is an intriguing option in the 3rd or later.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

major Applewhite was a much better QB st Texas than the more physically talented Chris Simms.  One got drafted and one didnt. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My point that I'm trying to make is, why isn't Aaron Murray considered a top tier pick in this draft, when you have a guy who he shattered statistically from the same school that went 1st overall in the draft?

In addition to what everyone else is saying, Murray played an entire season more than Stafford. So you're giving him credit for cumulative numbers that don't mean much in the context of Murray throwing a ton more passes than Stafford.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

one would still have to admit that the difference in their #s is pretty impressive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

one would still have to admit that the difference in their #s is pretty impressive

There are two main differences in their numbers: 1.) Stafford was lousy as a true freshman and Murray was pretty good as a redshirt freshman first year starter. Do you ding Stafford for that? No. At this point it's irrelevant. He's not that player anymore. He went through his growing pains. Might Murray have been equally lousy if he started as a true freshman? It's possible. Either way, you're not drafting either players as college freshman. You're drafting the players they were when they left. 2.) Murray played an additional year at his peak as a redshirt senior. If Stafford played for his senior season, he would have probably thrown 35 TDs and 12 INTs, putting his sophomore/junior/senior numbers right in line with Murray. Additionally, Bucs Capacitor posted David Greene's numbers. We know now for a fact he is not a NFL QB. Yet he had great numbers. Meaning numbers are meaningless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, the ACL is a slight factor....but it runs a lot deeper than that.The biggest difference between the two is that Stafford has the prototypical body that NFL scouts and personnel love. 6'3, 230+ with a huge arm. That right there is looked at as the foundation of, "this guy could become an elite top 5 passer". Every QB that comes into the league is going to have to master the mental part of the game to become elite, but the once with the physical build/skills of someone like Stafford are looked at as having the advantage and the fact that there are no physical questions, makes it much easier for a GM/HC to pull the trigger on a guy who is not having to overcome not being able to make certain passes..etc. For the NFL, the fact that you were able to put up great numbers at the collegiate level, it really doesn't matter. A QBs games has to be elevated exponentially. There are college throws that are TDs vs Vanderbilt, but would be an INT the other way vs the Packers/Bears, etc. He is probably at most, a 3rd rounder at this point.

This is the only difference that matters in the eyes of GM's and scouts. I personally think that Murray will be a pretty good NFL QB, he has it upstairs to be so and without being so far down on physical traits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem with the arm strength thing is it rally is pretty binary.  I don’t care much about the “big arm” but you need to have enough arm.  There are physical limitsn the NFL and Murray might not meet that minimum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We know now for a fact he is not a NFL QB.

We do?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We know now for a fact he is not a NFL QB.

We do?

David Greene is not a NFL QB.

Please wait…

Viewing 32 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.