Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• Kermit56

Participant

Jen Psaki admits WH in touch with Big Tech, has been ‘flagging’ problematic COVID posts on Facebook

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

LfJoe <–that wuz a helluva “unity” speech Tues. in PHI

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Do you care at all about the misinformation at all?

Or is this selective outrage?

• Kermit56

Participant

Do you care at all about the misinformation at all?

Or is this selective outrage?

What outrage is not selective?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Let me rephrase

Do you care about the disinformation, or are you only concerned with owning the libs?

• Kermit56

Participant

Let me rephrase

Do you care about the disinformation, or are you only concerned with owning the libs?

Yes, I care about misinformation. However, I don’t want gov’t censoring information with which they don’t agree. As an example, the gov’t has been all over the spectrum of wearing masks throughout this pandemic, i.e., wear a mask; no, wear two masks; need to wear a mask even if you’re vaccinated or immune. Now if they were to have Facebook delete posts that contradicted whatever guideline they have at the time, the only info we would have is what the gov’t says.

I love my country, but I don’t trust the government.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Those are fair points

• Roy

Participant

Let me rephrase

Yes, I care about misinformation. However, I don’t want gov’t censoring information with which they don’t agree. As an example, the gov’t has been all over the spectrum of wearing masks throughout this pandemic, i.e., wear a mask; no, wear two masks; need to wear a mask even if you’re vaccinated or immune. Now if they were to have Facebook delete posts that contradicted whatever guideline they have at the time, the only info we would have is what the gov’t says.

I love my country, but I don’t trust the government.

Its obvious that the government, and Fauci, at times, have been finding their way forward similar to a sleepwalker finding their way to the refrigerator at two in the morning with no nightlight. This is because they can’t wait for science to be conclusively completed. They are trying to beat a virus that is taking lives, and they have to go with what they know now.

Sometimes it turns out that they could have done something differently. But that doesn’t mean they are trying to screw people over, mislead, or take away people’s rights or other nefarious things. They are trying to beat the virus, and there is no instructional Youtube video on how to do it. But they have to do something. Doing nothing is not an option.

If you want to say the government is bungling something, its a legitimate argument to have. But when somebody wants to demonize Fauci as being some kind of dark lord who is selling out America for his own profit, and the government is somehow benefiting from keeping the pandemic going until November 7th when its all going to disappear… This is the kind of bullshit that makes the conservatives look like idiots and you guys should be cleaning up your own house a little bit instead of tolerating it like you do.

• Biggs3535

Participant

If you want to say the government is bungling something, its a legitimate argument to have. But when somebody wants to demonize Fauci as being some kind of dark lord who is selling out America for his own profit, and the government is somehow benefiting from keeping the pandemic going until November 7th when its all going to disappear… This is the kind of bullshit that makes the conservatives look like idiots and you guys should be cleaning up your own house a little bit instead of tolerating it like you do.

There is not a doubt in my mind that you’ve never heard about Fauci and gain of function research, as the brainwashing your regularly receive wouldn’t have covered it. I really wasn’t with the group demonizing Fauci from the beginning, but the more that comes out about what he knew and when he knew it, the worse it looks for the good doctor:

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/fauci-gain-of-function/

• Biggs3535

Participant

Even WaPo is having to acquiesce on this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/05/18/fact-checking-senator-paul-dr-fauci-flap-over-wuhan-lab-funding/

The Pinocchio Test

There is some smoke here, but we do not yet perceive the fire claimed by Paul. To some extent, all money is fungible. But the EcoHealth funding was not related to the experiments, but the collection of samples. The NIH grant includes language that some say suggests gain-of-function research; NIH says that is a misinterpretation. Paul’s statements about Baric’s research also appear overblown. We wavered between Two and Three Pinocchios, but decided on Two, because there still are enough questions about the work at the Wuhan lab to warrant further scrutiny, even if the NIH connection to possible gain-of-function research appears so far to be elusive.

• Roy

Participant

First, The email. The e-mail would seem to indicate that Fauci had some kind of knowledge about gain of function research as a tool to help fight diseases in the future. It doesn’t indicate that he was in charge of it, or that he approved of it. It doesn’t indicate that he would profit from it. It seems to indicate that his concerns from ten years ago proved to be correct, and also that its possible that he hasn’t been totally above board to the public about whether the US may have been knowledgeable about this research and whether it may have played a role in the release of this virus. We still don’t know the answers to that. This is a scientific community and Fauci is not some lord in charge of it, he’s just one of hundreds or thousands of people involved in this type of stuff, and if something happened there where Fauci did something unethical it would be obvious to people in that community. It wouldn’t be some hidden secret. This isn’t the mafia, its the scientific community.

Second, How this started is a totally different subject from what we are doing now to fight the virus. Sure we want to know how it started, but what does that have to do with what we are doing to stop it? What Fauci knew about and isn’t telling us has nothing to do with what we are doing to try to stop it. Is he responsible for spilling all the government secrets? Maybe he’s not Edward Snowden, but that doesn’t make him the bad guy.

Third, there are three kinds of trust. 1) Trust in somebody’s judgment. Can he make the right call? 2) Trust in somebody’s abilities. Do you trust the closer to get them out in the 9th? 3) Trust in somebody’s motives. Does he have some ulterior motive that would sabotage the job he’s supposed to do? Which ones do you question Fauci on? I trust him on #2 and #3. On #1 he’s proved to be human. Its fair to criticize him and question his judgment, whether he’s made the right calls. I honestly don’t know that there are a lot of people who could have stepped in that role and done better. It was and is a very tough job. But he’s the head of the NIH, he’s not some poor sap who just stepped out of a college lab and got blasted. He should be able to take the heat, and he has taken a lot of it.

Fourth, I think the impact of whatever missteps Fauci may have made is small potatoes in comparison to the damage done by the political posturing from the right to discredit the fight against the virus. This disaster was led by Donald Trump. This didn’t have to be a political fight. Trump could have joined in the fight wholeheartedly, supported masks, supported vaccines and told his followers to get on board. He would have easily won re-election and America would be in a much better position than we are today regarding the virus. But all Trump knows how to do is make everything about politics and find people to hate and to blame and that’s what he did with the virus and we are all the worse for it.

• Charles

Participant

Did you trust the gov’t under trump?

Then you’re a f ing moron.

Boomers please answer nature’s call.

End this scourge on our greta democracy.

Facebook and Youtube are black holes of disinformation. Not free speech but absolute lies that cost lives. The right are so stupid and educated they believe bloggers over science.

Why are 99% of new covid cases UNVAXCINNATED MORONS?

Self cleaning oven. Play stupid games…win stupid prizes.

• Kermit56

Participant

Charles, you add so much to the topics. Please keep posting.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Charles, you add so much to the topics. Please keep posting.

Cut Chuck some slack, as his momma was forced to resign this week after saying what her little boy has said repeatedly on this forum:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/fairfax-pta-official-resigns-let-them-die-comment/2021/07/17/79f8129e-e712-11eb-8aa5-5662858b696e_story.html

Nice folks.

• Kermit56

Participant

Those are fair points

Thank you.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.