Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Adrian Clayborn poised for big year June, 5, 2014 By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com adrian_zpsd8d51829.jpg If I had to pick a Tampa Bay player that’s in for a breakout season, I’d go with defensive end Adrian Clayborn. Clayborn The guy was a first-round talent coming out of college in 2011. He showed some promise as a rookie, but his past two seasons have been interrupted by injuries. With a new coaching staff that’s not going to run nearly as many stunts as a year ago, Clayborn might be able to thrive. The Bucs brought in Michael Johnson to play right defensive end, but defensive line coach Joe Cullen said Clayborn will get to rush the passer from both sides and he has high expectations for the fourth-year player. “When I look back at Adrian, I look back at his rookie year when he had his hand in the dirt all the time, just going vertical, getting off the ball, being disruptive, 7 1/2 sacks from the right side,’’ Cullen said. “Then he had the injury and then you look at last year, he had 19 1/2 tackles for loss, 5 1/2 sacks and three of them were on the left side. And it was a little bit different scheme but still he’s rushing from that side, so he’s going to play both sides. Michael’s going to rush from both sides.’’ Johnson got big money in free agency and the Bucs are counting on him to be their top pass-rusher. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Clayborn ends up playing a big role.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clayborn will be the first Buc to hit double digits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Everyone seems down on clayborn I believe we may regret not picking up his option this year and having to pony up to keep him next year. I’m sure lovie has a back up plan in this case though.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

It is an unfortunate Buccaneer tradition that "poised for big year" is more often the kiss of death.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I wish it was true.  I want it to be true.  I don’t have a good feeling it will be.  He’ll see an uptick because of the new guys around him and better coaching, but his individual role I still worry about.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think he’ll truly have a “big year”, but a normal year for Clayborn is a lot more encouraging for what you expect from a LDE than a RDE and lord knows he’ll be an improvement over DTN and Bowers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We will see about his ability, but at a minimum everything you see from the guy says hard working and grounded, which is a good start. New coach, better system, presumably more talent around him and playing for something. All good things

Please wait…

• vlagatta

tumblr_lk0up2bMdU1qh4dhf.jpg

We will see about his ability, but at a minimum everything you see from the guy says hard working and grounded, which is a good start. New coach, better system, presumably more talent around him and playing for something. All good things

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clayborn has been productive when he’s been used properly and has been healthy.I'm rooting for the guy.I hope he blows it up this year and we can re-sign him at a decent price/value.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why not.  (Not a question).I expect this entire defense to have a big year.  Especially the starting dline.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you said you're not Java, right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe Clayborn can beat the kiss of death…we shall see…

Please wait…

• vlagatta

you said you're not Java, right?

Oh shut up with the java stuff.  THAT was funny, and you know it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now is about the time he would be ready to bust loose, if there was a time.  If he gets 7 sacks, we will know what he is.  Not worthy of his first round status, but definitely a player worth keeping.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Now is about the time he would be ready to bust loose, if there was a time.  If he gets 7 sacks, we will know what he is.  Not worthy of his first round status, but definitely a player worth keeping.

We already know what he is, he is a strong, physical player who is better against the run than the pass. Some quickness but not enough twitch to be more than an average pass rusher. He's a 6-8 sack guy a year. We've seen him play for the last 3 years, we know what he is, just because he hasn't had the stats to make us feel comfortable calling him as such.All people who weren't idiots could see what McCoy was even through and around his injuries. McCoy has been explosive, twitchy and a penetrating machine since he got here. That is still what he is, he now has put together two years worth of "Stats" so people are more comfortable calling him that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We already know what he is, he is a strong, physical player who is better against the run than the pass. Some quickness but not enough twitch to be more than an average pass rusher. He's a 6-8 sack guy a year. We've seen him play for the last 3 years, we know what he is, just because he hasn't had the stats to make us feel comfortable calling him as such.All people who weren't idiots could see what McCoy was even through and around his injuries. McCoy has been explosive, twitchy and a penetrating machine since he got here. That is still what he is, he now has put together two years worth of "Stats" so people are more comfortable calling him that.

Disagree......We saw 7 1/2 sacks as a rookie....then we saw a blown out knee, then we saw him in coverage against Sproles on a recently rebuilt knee.A lot of valuable time spent injured and in a horrible system.  And last year on that bad knee and in that bad system he had 6 sacks...add another for the Brees hit, and I think 2 more, one against Matt Ryan, and one against Rivers I think? That all got called back. Now healthy, experienced, and I a better system....he will post double digits.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Disagree......We saw 7 1/2 sacks as a rookie....then we saw a blown out knee, then we saw him in coverage against Sproles on a recently rebuilt knee.A lot of valuable time spent injured and in a horrible system.  And last year on that bad knee and in that bad system he had 6 sacks...add another for the Brees hit, and I think 2 more, one against Matt Ryan, and one against Rivers I think? That all got called back. Now healthy, experienced, and I a better system....he will post double digits.

Yup. First year was or glimpse of clayborn in a downhill role. Second he played in 3 games. Last year he was all over the place stunting and in coverage. Completely against what he was built for. This year will show us more of what clayborn can be or who he is. If you yHave him figured out based off of that you should be applying for a job at a psychic hotline.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This year will tell all on AC.  He’ll be productive and earn another contract.  Violence and tenacity is his game. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clayborn is an interesting cat. I have no doubt when it comes to motor and desire. The guy is tough and nasty. I wonder about his ability. Of course, it’s difficult to determine given the injury history and schemes. I have confidence that, one way or another, were gonna find out a lot about him now that he has competent coaching. If Lovie, Leslie, and Cullen can’t get good production out of him, I’m not sure that anyone else can. Definitely pulling for him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A big payday is in his hands.  We shall see.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

He better have a big year. Otherwise he is on the Steve White career track…In three years he'll be sitting on the computer with the rest of us complaining about stunts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he will have a good season, but I’m not exactly sure how lovie is going to split time.I find no real faults in his game, other than takeoff speed. Super strong, smart, high motor, excellent runstuffer, but slow off the line. He really needs to be working with mccoy on footspeed.Regardless, on running downs, I'd be glad he's out there. And passing downs will be shored up by lovie. He isn't going to have clayborn chasing around some guy who laughs at a 4.5 40.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Other than a few plays here and there, I just haven’t seen enough out of him to be hopeful.

Please wait…

• meadorsp

Participant

This.  How quick we are top dismiss the past, OR - not put evaluation into perspective in terms of the craptastic system he was expected to thrive in.  Covering Sproles...?  SMH.I pray we have to out-bid other teams for his services next year!  To feel otherwise would make you a Falcon's fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Something that’s telling is that the Bucs chose not to exercise the 5th year option on Clayborn. Clayborn may be a better overall RDE than Michael Johnson. You can downplay the Erbs Palsey all you want, but in the tape I watch he is much better on the right side. Obviously the Bucs want to a different type player at that RDE position though, and I just don’t think Clayborn is going to light it up from the left side. This is in all likelihood, Clayborn’s last year in Tampa.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Especially if William Gholston continues his growth as an NFL player. That surely factored into the Bucs’ decision…

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

He better have a big year. Otherwise he is on the Steve White career track...In three years he'll be sitting on the computer with the rest of us complaining about stunts.

He does tweet a lot, so he could probably make that transition fairly easily.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Especially if William Gholston continues his growth as an NFL player. That surely factored into the Bucs' decision...

I'd hazard a guess that's EXACTLY why the fifth year option wasn't done.I'm pulling for AC and WG.  DLine is going to have to make this ship go.

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.