Viewing 46 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Michael Bennett rips 'mediocre' QBs who 'get paid'By Marc Sessler    NFL.comPublished:  Aug. 26, 2015 Bucs_Michael_Bennett_2013-300x237_zps6shjasf7.jpgNFL.comWe're still weeks away from games that matter, but Michael Bennett's mouth is already in midseason form.The Seahawks' defensive lineman on Tuesday unfurled a heat-seeking riff on the bulging pay scale for less-than-stellar quarterbacks. "Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid," Bennett told 710 ESPN's "Brock and Salk" program. "At every other position, you can't be mediocre. If I was (Miami's) Ryan Tannehill and the most games I ever won was seven, how could you get a $100 million for that? I guess that's the value of the position."And then it's like, you're sitting at home and there's breaking news and it says that Brian Hoyer is the quarterback of the Texans. I'm like, who cares? That's not breaking news. It's really not breaking news."Bennett -- the rare gem in a landscape of warmed-over athlete-speak -- wasn't finished:"There's some mediocre quarterbacks in the NFL that make a lot of money," Bennett said. "You take a guy like (Eagles passer) Sam Bradford -- he's never played really in the last three years, but he's made more money than most guys in the NFL."Bennett also pointed to the debate generated by a low hit Bradford took from Ravens pass-rusher Terrell Suggs during Saturday's preseason tilt, calling it just more special treatment for guys under center."Then quarterbacks get protected more than any other player," Bennett said. "I mean, he gets hit in his knees and he's about to cry, making a whimpering sound: 'They hit me in my legs.' Everybody gets hit in their legs. Every play somebody tries to hit me in my legs. So what makes him different? What makes his life better than mine? I've got kids. I've got stuff I like to do on the weekend. But because he gets hit in his legs, he gets a flag. He gets up with a sad face like the world just ended because he got hit. I mean, you got hit in an NFL game. Who cares? Get back up and be like, 'Good job.'"Bennett specifically named Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Cam Newton for the grit they display after taking hits, but not the Johnny-come-lately types, saying: "There's a whole bunch of young guys who haven't done anything in the NFL that are looking for flags."Unhappy this offseason with the four-year, $28.5 million contract he inked in 2014, Bennett knows he'd make more if he played signal-caller instead of crushing them. He has plenty of incentive to do the latter come September.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Always crying about money = Michael BennettBig talk about mediocre from a defensive end who has 30.5 sacks in six NFL seasons and has NEVER posted a double-digit sack season. Also, look at guys like Watt, Houston, etc. who are the elite pass rushers in the game.....how well have their teams performed? Quarterback is the only position that can mask weaknesses on other parts of the team. Lastly, in the NFL, you get paid for what you are GOING to do, not what you HAVE done. Just STFU Michael Bennett and be happy that have your current contract.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

he’s got a point

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

100% agree. Sam Bradford has a career of “meh” mixed with injuries and yeah.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its supply and demand IMO.  If you don’t have a franchise QB, you have to pay a second tier guy. You don’t have any choice really. If you don’t pay him, some other team will.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Want to get paid like a NFL QB, then switch positions and be one of the best 32 on the planet. It’s the most important position in the NFL. A good QB can elevate a teams chances of making it to the playoffs and beyond, and the lack of a good QB can hold back teams that are loaded with talent at non-QB positions. He’ll get “agree!” and “Amen!” from people who sympathize with players constantly bellyaching and those who are tired of the “pussification” of the league…blah blah blah. It’s a very narrow minded POV though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look at the Rams, Texans, Cardinals. Pretty stacked teams across the board but lack a QB (or QB play when they need it) and can’t seem to get anywhere. BTW, I like the Seahawks having lived up in that neck of the woods for years, but man, that team loves to chirp. Bunch of talkers and I have the feeling that will be their downfall. I just see that team chemistry constantly eroding.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bennett is a dummy.He doesnt understand why the league is trying to protect qbs?Smh, man. Its not like guys like him arent chasing them down and trying to hit them. I mean, bennett doesnt have to scan the field elsewhere while 3 to 6 guys try to run him over simultaneously, while holding/throwing the ball.Average qbs that win, will get paid. Its much like the position bennett is in now. Ironically.He is somewhat average, yet, because they have little options of improvements elsewhere, he stays. But they would fire his ass immediately if they could bring in someone like watt.Pot, meet kettle.

Please wait…

• majbodoh

Participant

He has a point – to an extent – about how average quarterbacks get paid vast amounts of money. One player he singled out as “mediocre” was Ryan Tannehill because he’s gone 7-9, 8-8, and 8-8 through his first three seasons and got a near hundred million dollar contract. I can see why he would argue what he has because Tannehill hasn’t took his him to the play offs and hasn’t won anything [yet], but he’s ascending player and not all of the Dolphins’ shortcomings these past few seasons have been down to their quarterback. After all , not every quarterback wins a super bowl in their second season on a stacked, well coached team. I’m sure if Tannehill had landed in Seattle [or even Sam Bradford three seasons ago], and Wilson in Miami [or St Louis], the most successful quarterback would be the one in Seattle because it’s a great situation for a quarterback to land in. So sure, average quarterbacks do get paid more than average players at other positions. But average quarterbacks can still have more of an impact on the game than average players at other positions. It's one of those positions which if the player hits a run of form at the right time, with the right support, they can lead their team to a Super Bowl (eg Eli Manning and Joe Flacco). Thats why an average quarterback can, and does, get paid like an elite one because in the right situation a steady, reliable quarterback can lead their team to victory, whereas an average DE or DT cannot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

he's got a point

I agree 100%.  Take their freaking dresses off.  But then we'd see more of these mediocre guys play cuz the good ones would be busted up. I agree with Mike, but we all know why they get treated the way they get treated. It's the way of the game today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the guy just runs his mouth, sometimes he is right, sometimes he is wrong, but rarely does he say something that needs to be said.mediocre players get paid all the time.  just look at TBs recent history.and he really doesnt understand that the NFL is a QB driven league?  c'mon man.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

the guy just runs his mouth, sometimes he is right, sometimes he is wrong, but rarely does he say something that needs to be said.mediocre players get paid all the time.  just look at TBs recent history.and he really doesnt understand that the NFL is a QB driven league?  c'mon man.

it's also the top skill position in the game....and everyone knows that.  QB's are the on field CEO and are constantly making and remaking decisions and watching upwards of 8 to ten different players on both sides of the ball....before executing their play.  thus the reason there are great ones, and mostly marginal ones.  Bennet on the other hand.....typically deals with the current guy in front of him...perhaps 2 players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree 100%.If there was a DE or CB with the same career path of Sam Bradford or Ryan Fitzpatrick, they would be out of the league. Andy Dalton is painfully average, if that was a DT, they're drafting his replacement ASAP.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Montana and Marino and Elway and Young all got ear holed and lunged at, smacked about the knees and head. Defense wanted to destroy and maim the other teams QBs. They survived. Today's game is about money, and losing Aaron Rogers for the season would comepletely change the financial landscape of the game. It rips the purity of it away, to some extent. Bennett has a point about players being protected. But those same QBs are vastly more important to the outcome of a game than most DEs do. It's a back and forth, I get both sides. But I would protect the QB less, and put the fear of God in him when he faces a bad ass defensive unit and his line is leaky. Change the dynamic a little, filter out he weak ones and let the gamers play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

and he really doesnt understand that the NFL is a QB driven league?  c'mon man.

Seems like he understands it fine.

Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid. At every other position, you can't be mediocre. If I was (Miami's) Ryan Tannehill and the most games I ever won was seven, how could you get a $100 million for that? I guess that's the value of the position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid.

so a guy like Michael Johnson, who got paid, would you say was mediocre?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Quarterback is the only position in the NFL where you could be mediocre and get paid.

so a guy like Michael Johnson, who got paid, would you say was mediocre?

Sure.  The DE's contract was for $44M and the QB's contract was for $96M.  I see the difference Bennett is talking about.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am just over Michael Bennett and any other Seahawks player running their mouths. Right or not. Like they say, Don't hate the playa hate the game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

he's got a point

I agree 100%.  Take their freaking dresses off.  But then we'd see more of these mediocre guys play cuz the good ones would be busted up. I agree with Mike, but we all know why they get treated the way they get treated. It's the way of the game today.

Take their freaking dresses off  Quote of the day!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure.  The DE's contract was for $44M and the QB's contract was for $96M.  I see the difference Bennett is talking about.

so MJ didnt get paid by the Bucs?  good to know, i was thinking that was a pretty bad one, but i feel better now.you thinking bennett understands it just fine when he doesnt think QBs should get paid more than other positions is idiotic.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s an owner’s prerogative to pay a qB based on future expectations or just plain hope.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bennett specifically named Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Cam Newton for the grit they display after taking hits, but not the Johnny-come-lately types, saying: "There's a whole bunch of young guys who haven't done anything in the NFL that are looking for flags."

^^^ Lost me at this point...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree 100%.If there was a DE or CB with the same career path of Sam Bradford or Ryan Fitzpatrick, they would be out of the league. Andy Dalton is painfully average, if that was a DT, they're drafting his replacement ASAP.

DaQuan Bowers is essentially the Sam Bradford of defensive ends. And he’ll probably be out of the league within the month.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

DaQuan Bowers is essentially the Sam Bradford of defensive ends. And he'll probably be out of the league within the month.

Meanwhile that bum gets a contract extension.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

so MJ didnt get paid by the Bucs?  good to know, i was thinking that was a pretty bad one, but i feel better now.

He's clearly talking about the difference in pay from a mediocre QB to mediocre other position.  You're evidently taking him literally, for some unknown reason.

you thinking bennett understands it just fine when he doesnt think QBs should get paid more than other positions is idiotic.

He never said he doesn't think they shouldn't get paid more, did he?  In fact, he talk about their positional value.  I'll post his comment again for you, since you edited it out last time:

I guess that's the value of the position.

And from the article itself:

Bennett knows he'd make more if he played signal-caller instead of crushing them.

Honestly, I'm not sure why he's getting brush-back from what he said.  He 100% correct.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's clearly talking about the difference in pay from a mediocre QB to mediocre other position.  You're evidently taking him literally, for some unknown reason.Honestly, I'm not sure why he's getting brush-back from what he said.  He 100% correct.

am i supposed to take him figuratively?  guys like tannehill and dalton - are they mediocre because they are rated around 15?  is dalton a better QB because his team got 10 wins and tannehill only got 8?  tannehill last season completed 66% of his passes for 4000yards and a 2.5-1 TD-int ratio.  thats mediocre?  its all opinion, thats why hes getting blowback.  mediocre DEs can get paid, do get paid.  is it the same numbers as a QB?  no.  because star DEs arent making as much as star QBs either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s whining like a bltch over another man’s money. Not kool.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's clearly talking about the difference in pay from a mediocre QB to mediocre other position.  You're evidently taking him literally, for some unknown reason.Honestly, I'm not sure why he's getting brush-back from what he said.  He 100% correct.

am i supposed to take him figuratively? 

Yes, that's clearly how it was meant.  Practice squad players gets paid.  Obviously mediocre players get paid.  But they don't get paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaid like QB's do.Hopefully that will clear it up for those taking Bennett literally.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's whining like a bltch over another man's money. Not kool.

Though I would have phrased it differently, this is spot on.  Truth be told, this is better than the response I would have offered- straight to the point and brutally honest.  Bravo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Though I would have phrased it differently, this is spot on.  Truth be told, this is better than the response I would have offered- straight to the point and brutally honest.  Bravo.

It wouldn't be so bad if he was speaking in general terms but when he mentioned Tannehill by name, that kinda came across as womanly, to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

of course you have to agree. there is certain cliche about who plays in the NFL and who is paid how much, that won’t change any time soon!btw, bennettt sucks moaning all the time about money  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What he says is correct, if not obvious. Not sure why its news.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Someone should mention to Bennett he is a DE without a 10 sack season, so no one cares about him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

DaQuan Bowers is essentially the Sam Bradford of defensive ends. And he'll probably be out of the league within the month.

Meanwhile that bum gets a contract extension.

Bradford hasn't signed a contract extension. He is still on his original 6 year deal he inked as a rookie before they put a cap on the ridiculous rookie salaries. Bradford has been handsomely rewarded for being a top draft prospect, that's it. It's good that they have taken this away. I seriously doubt that we will see Bradford ink a deal similar to what Tannehill and Dalton received. All in all DEs shouldn't get paid like QBs because they don't have the effect on a game like QBs do. That's why there is such a discrepancy between QBs and all other positions. Don't like it? Then switch positions. As Hayseed said, these players are getting paid for games in the future, not because of what they have done in their first 3-4-5 years. It's the nature of the game. At the end of the day a team like Cincinnati looked at the landscape and decided to slightly overpay Dalton with an incentive laden contract and one they could easily get out of in 3 years. They ultimately chose to be a borderline playoff team, instead of resetting with a mid level draft pick and being a 4-5 win team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Cam got a 100 zillion and doesnt even have a .500 record. So I can see why Bennett got his feathers ruffled. He like Cam though, because he says “good hit” after getting sacked.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wonder what his thoughts are on his QB getting paid?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It wouldn't be so bad if he was speaking in general terms but when he mentioned Tannehill by name, that kinda came across as womanly, to me.

LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When you say ‘womanly’, it comes across as derogatory…which I kind of assume is how you meant it.  There are a few women on these boards ya know…could we find another analogy?

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Always crying about money = Michael BennettBig talk about mediocre from a defensive end who has 30.5 sacks in six NFL seasons and has NEVER posted a double-digit sack season. Also, look at guys like Watt, Houston, etc. who are the elite pass rushers in the game.....how well have their teams performed? Quarterback is the only position that can mask weaknesses on other parts of the team. Lastly, in the NFL, you get paid for what you are GOING to do, not what you HAVE done.Just STFU Michael Bennett and be happy that have your current contract.

What? This is only true with Rookie contracts & maybe QB contracts. Demarco Murray just got paid for what he did last year.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

I am just over Michael Bennett and any other Seahawks player running their mouths. Right or not. Like they say, Don't hate the playa hate the game.

They're more entertaining than the player-speak most players use. As a side note, I'd think Buccaneers fans would like the Seahawks. It's a team that plays the game the way I wish we did. Great D that offenses fear (like we used to), but they have an offense unlike us 1998-2003. The personalities on defense remind me of Sapp & Simeon days. I love watching that defense go to work. Beast Mode might be my favorite player in the league. /hijack

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Always crying about money = Michael BennettBig talk about mediocre from a defensive end who has 30.5 sacks in six NFL seasons and has NEVER posted a double-digit sack season. Also, look at guys like Watt, Houston, etc. who are the elite pass rushers in the game.....how well have their teams performed? Quarterback is the only position that can mask weaknesses on other parts of the team. Lastly, in the NFL, you get paid for what you are GOING to do, not what you HAVE done.Just STFU Michael Bennett and be happy that have your current contract.

What? This is only true with Rookie contracts & maybe QB contracts. Demarco Murray just got paid for what he did last year.

You don't know what you're talking about. In 4 seasons, Murray has over 4,500 rush yards, 1500 yards, averages nearly 5 yards per carry, and has nearly 30 TDs. He is also well under 30. He isn't simply a one year wonder. His issue has always been health, even dating back to his days at OU.Eagles gave him a deal for future potential, not past production.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When you say 'womanly', it comes across as derogatory...which I kind of assume is how you meant it.  There are a few women on these boards ya know...could we find another analogy?

It seems you read it exactly as it was intended. However, what might be derogatory for a man isn't necessarily degrading to a woman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t know about you guys but every time our guys or somebody else smoke Drew Brees and he throws his arms up begging for a flag I basically think, “this is not the football I grew up loving.”QB's are clearly the most important position but the rules are being slanted to make it even more so that way.Qb salaries are getting out of hand, and a coach will stand up to an agent one day soon and simply refuse to give them 17 mil per to be average… it might be chip, I wondered if it might be Pete and Schneider in Seattle but it will happen.  No 20 mil qb has ever won a Super Bowl, I don't think that'll change either… football = still a team sport

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't know about you guys but every time our guys or somebody else smoke Drew Brees and he throws his arms up begging for a flag I basically think, "this is not the football I grew up loving."QB's are clearly the most important position but the rules are being slanted to make it even more so that way.Qb salaries are getting out of hand, and a coach will stand up to an agent one day soon and simply refuse to give them 17 mil per to be average… it might be chip, I wondered if it might be Pete and Schneider in Seattle but it will happen.  No 20 mil qb has ever won a Super Bowl, I don't think that'll change either… football = still a team sport

It seems like EVERY superstar QB is a big whining baby. Manning always cries after getting hit, head twirling around looking for a ref to crinkle his face at. Brady gets hit and he is always makin the throw the flag motion. Brees is always a victim (that Adrian Clayborn sack when he crushed Drew Brees and was flagged for a clean hit that was deemed to the dome...pure bullcrap). All QBs are looking for flags after practically every hit or someone decleats them. Back in the day, a QB got smoked he either lay there for a minute in pain, shook it off and grew his legend, or they were looking to bark at an offensive linemen for failing them, not making a throw the flag motion. I loathe that. QBs being over protected is disgusting to the game, and it makes today's QBs look softer, IMO. Elway was a horse faces butthole, but he was a beast QB. Marino hollered at his linemen too spit came out of his mouth and his face turned redder than monkeys ass...Terry Bradshaw was made of lumber. Steve Young took monstrous hits and kept rolling...super tough QB, bad ass gunslinger with wheels. Today's QBs are babies. Sans a few. I think Russell Wilson, despite being a "semi-cultish" Christian, is pretty solid. Doesn't seem to whine too much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't know about you guys but every time our guys or somebody else smoke Drew Brees and he throws his arms up begging for a flag I basically think, "this is not the football I grew up loving."QB's are clearly the most important position but the rules are being slanted to make it even more so that way.Qb salaries are getting out of hand, and a coach will stand up to an agent one day soon and simply refuse to give them 17 mil per to be average… it might be chip, I wondered if it might be Pete and Schneider in Seattle but it will happen.  No 20 mil qb has ever won a Super Bowl, I don't think that'll change either… football = still a team sport

It seems like EVERY superstar QB is a big whining baby. Manning always cries after getting hit, head twirling around looking for a ref to crinkle his face at. Brady gets hit and he is always makin the throw the flag motion. Brees is always a victim (that Adrian Clayborn sack when he crushed Drew Brees and was flagged for a clean hit that was deemed to the dome...pure bullcrap). All QBs are looking for flags after practically every hit or someone decleats them. Back in the day, a QB got smoked he either lay there for a minute in pain, shook it off and grew his legend, or they were looking to bark at an offensive linemen for failing them, not making a throw the flag motion. I loathe that. QBs being over protected is disgusting to the game, and it makes today's QBs look softer, IMO. Elway was a horse faces butthole, but he was a beast QB. Marino hollered at his linemen too spit came out of his mouth and his face turned redder than monkeys ass...Terry Bradshaw was made of lumber. Steve Young took monstrous hits and kept rolling...super tough QB, bad ass gunslinger with wheels. Today's QBs are babies. Sans a few. I think Russell Wilson, despite being a "semi-cultish" Christian, is pretty solid. Doesn't seem to whine too much.

Boid wins again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d put Luck in that small group, minus the cult.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Peyton, Brady, Brees….I don’t think you can question their toughness. What they’re doing isn’t about being “babies”. They get it. They know the climate in the league leans towards protecting franchise QBs. I don’t blame them for calling for flags. They’re trying to help their teams win and they don’t care how the fans view it. If you’re pissed about it, blame the league, the players who take advantage of it.

Please wait…

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.