Viewing 120 reply threads

• Author

• Hate

Participant

[img width=257 height=200]https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11902461_10203048809701582_3481539735230928962_n.jpg?oh=d11f129befb55250f1f4307dd8778113&oe=567CAE6A[/img]He needs to take it easy on the home team tho

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn. Maybe Hobart is the guy LAYING the carpet!Very surprised. But if he can do that to G-Mac, he will be just fine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s going up against some pretty good DT’s everyday in practice, which will get him acclimated quicker.  He’s been impressive thus far.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good stuff by Marpet. Great draft choice. I hope McCoy picks it up though. He looked sluggish last game AT TIMES and I also heard him (censored)ing about some drill the coaches were putting the D-line through when I went to one of those open TC practices. Hope he didn’t get bit by the bug.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see no reason why Marpet is not starting week 1. He is better than the trash that start in front of him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Marpet is going to start.Pamphille/Doston out with injury.  Omameh a project on the outside at tackle.  Fragel/Cherilus battling for the right to start at RT.Donovan Smith struggling against pass rushers with spin moves.O-line is going to be a work in progress, patchwork and highly likely a problem.

Please wait…

• ruodrik

Participant

I’ve never been worried about Marpet because of the known hard work ethic, smart, drive and position he is being acclimated. Smith on the other hand has question marks in those categories and is on an island against the best the league has to offer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Marpet is going to start.Pamphille/Doston out with injury.  Omameh a project on the outside at tackle.  Fragel/Cherilus battling for the right to start at RT.Donovan Smith struggling against pass rushers with spin moves.O-line is going to be a work in progress, patchwork and highly likely a problem.

We have pass rushers with spin moves? who?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donovan got beat by someone who would beat 90% of LTs…. i don’t see a big deal there. For a rookie he settled down nicely  after that.  I believe he's going to be good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Think he was referencing the Everson Griffen spin move in the first preseason game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

best thing I read all off season

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Think he was referencing the Everson Griffen spin move in the first preseason game.

On twitter, PR said that Jamal Young and George Johnson beat Smith in 1 v 1s with the same inside spin move that Griffin used on him during the game. That's the reference.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

From Last week’s “The Buccaneers Should Sign A Veteran Right Guard” thread

I fully expect him to start at RG.

I do as well. People are assuming that by starting Marpet we are "taking our lumps". But whats to say the guy doesn't come out and perform? The guy has the size, he's smart, and he's showing that he can hang. What if keeping Jameis standing and Marpets development are the same things?None of us will know until the bullets start flying. No reason to freak out about Evan Mathis until we see what we already have on the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder, if Ali is doing so good and Smith not so much (but still good), if they would even consider swapping the two?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder, if Ali is doing so good and Smith not so much (but still good), if they would even consider swapping the two?

Playing Ali at T? No chance in hell.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t think so. T and G are totally different positions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way. They could both be great guards, and they might switch Smith to guard in the long run. But I don't think you take Marpet who is playing well at guard and move him to tackle just for the sake of it. Kind of like how all thumbs are fingers, but not all fingers are thumbs ha.This year we're playing Smith at tackle. Thats it. If he's failing, I'd imagine Dotson heads to the left once he comes back and Cherilus stays at RT. Then we draft another tackle next year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LT is what Marpet played in college.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And he doesn't have the physical tools to play it in the NFL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He just pancaked McCoy, and some said he didn't have the physical skills to play G either and it looks likes he proved them wrong. I'm not advocating a switch, but LT was his natural position and I wonder what he would look like at LT.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has better feet than Smith. It has been argued that he doesn't have the wingspan to be a tackle at the NFL level.  But it is not like he has short arms.I agree with others that Marpet needs to be stick with guard and plug that hole at right guard.  Offensive tackle situation will resolve itself given enough time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This ain’t D3.  Marpet needs to stay inside at the NFL level.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He just pancaked McCoy, and some said he didn't have the physical skills to play G either and it looks likes he proved them wrong. I'm not advocating a switch, but LT was his natural position and I wonder what he would look like at LT.

He's not long enough to be a NFL LT. Most G's in the NFL played T in college anyway  because that's where you would usually put your best guy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's not long enough to be a NFL LT. Most G's in the NFL played T in college anyway  because that's where you would usually put your best guy.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ali-marpet?id=2552332arm length isnt any shorter than Donald Penn

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Straight Outta Hobart

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/ali-marpet?id=2552332arm length isnt any shorter than Donald Penn

And he's the prototype now?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And you’re not factoring the length of NFL pass rushers. Ali would work his ass off but he’ll be at a disadvantage against most of his assignments out there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donovan Smith struggling against pass rushers with spin moves.

if thats true week 3 is going to be brutal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree the best situation is for Smith to work out at LT and Ali at RG and to also learn center in year two or three. Just tossing out the idea since he did play LT in college. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donovan got beat by someone who would beat 90% of LTs.... i don't see a big deal there. For a rookie he settled down nicely  after that.  I believe he's going to be good.

Exactly! First play the kid is excited and pumped up a basic spin move got him....HE settled down after that though. I also thought he played pretty good.Marpet's work ethic is awesome. He's a work hard lunch pail kind of guy! I love those old school OLineman! And we got a young one and a Vet in Mankins...Very excited to see what the future holds for Ali Marpet! D3 to the NFL.... GO GET EM KID!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Those arm lengths are the main reason Penn went undrafted as an OT.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Those arm lengths are the main reason Penn went undrafted as an OT.

BINGO

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Where did you hear anyone say he doesn't have the physical skills to play guard? Every scout report had him as a guard. Just a heads up, the 5 OL positions aren't interchangeable. Being a great guard doesn't mean the player can be even an ok LT. There are drastic physical differences in the build of guards vs tackles. I'm assuming you just are not familiar with the differing requirements for a LT vs a Guard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No but he was the best LT we've had in a while.Cleveland Browns Joe Thomas 33 3/4I know Marpets length isnt ideal but the bucs, in my opinion, arent in a position to act like things have to be ideal. Marpet is probably one of the most athletic Olineman in the NFL now that hes here, and if its possible that he may be better at tackle than Smith then that option should have been explored on this team.  Nobody was projecting D.Smith to be a LT in the NFL either, but since hes longer that makes him the best choice? maybe Marpet is flat out better. Sounds like things are working out nicely for them, but I would have felt better if both had reps at tackle very early on, and the winner remains being trained at tackle while the other ones gets trained at guard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Where did you hear anyone say he doesn't have the physical skills to play guard? Every scout report had him as a guard. Just a heads up, the 5 OL positions aren't interchangeable. Being a great guard doesn't mean the player can be even an ok LT. There are drastic physical differences in the build of guards vs tackles. I'm assuming you just are not familiar with the differing requirements for a LT vs a Guard.

Just go back to the draft threads where there are plenty of people not happy with the selection saying he didn't deserve to be selected that high as he would take years to develop even at guard.  And I am quite familiar with the OL positions, but maybe you're not aware that he actually played LT in college and did very well, albeit at D3.  At the very least he has the smarts to play LT and knows the technique.  Even the knock now is not on Ali not knowing how to play LT, its that he doesn't fit the accepted physical attributes, like arm length.  Also, if you go back and read all the PR stories, you will find one where Marpet was taking time before prior to practice to practice snapping the ball.  So there is actually reason to include him in the discussion at all three positions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No but he was the best LT we've had in a while.Cleveland Browns Joe Thomas 33 3/4I know Marpets length isnt ideal but the bucs, in my opinion, arent in a position to act like things have to be ideal. Marpet is probably one of the most athletic Olineman in the NFL now that hes here, and if its possible that he may be better at tackle than Smith then that option should have been explored on this team.  Nobody was projecting D.Smith to be a LT in the NFL either, but since hes longer that makes him the best choice? maybe Marpet is flat out better. Sounds like things are working out nicely for them, but I would have felt better if both had reps at tackle very early on, and the winner remains being trained at tackle while the other ones gets trained at guard.

Joe Thomas is 6'6. I'm sure he has a lot more reach than Ali. And who are these NFL personnel that didn't project Donovan at LT?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s the main reason you don’t move Marpet to tackle – HE’S PLAYING WELL AT GUARD.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Joe Thomas is 6'6. I'm sure he has a lot more reach than Ali. And who are these NFL personnel that didn't project Donovan at LT?

It may not have been "nobody" but there were plenty of pundits who didn't think Smith was a NFL LT....As a pass-protector, Smith should move to right tackle. He doesn't have the feet, quickness or agility to play left tackle in the NFL. Smith could stand to work on his feet and not reach after pass-rushers. Early on in his NFL career, he would benefit from some tight end help on his side. Smith has a strong base and is tough to bull rush, but speed rushers could work him going around the corner or cutting to the inside. That being said, Smith has a skill set to develop and could eventually be a well-balanced blocker. He would be better off in a power-man scheme rather than a zone scheme. Smith is a right tackle all the way for the NFL. He could possibly move inside to be a power right guard, but he doesn't look athletic enough to play left tackle. Smith looks like a second-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015donovansmith.php#AUqmQ7PkWFSfdZWb.99Bottom Line The frame of a guard and the skill set of a guard probably means Smith will end up moving to guard. His hands need work, but with power as his calling card and the ability to hide some of his athletic deficiencies by moving him inside, he has a good shot of getting drafted and fighting for a backup spot. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/donovan-smith?id=2552460

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here's the main reason you don't move Marpet to tackle - HE'S PLAYING WELL AT GUARD.

You are correct.  And to clarify my suggestion, I was talking about next year.  We have Smith at LT now and we need to see how he pans out.  In all honesty, the best situation for me is that Ali move to center in year two and EDS goes away.  I just think it is easier to replace a RG then to find a quality center. 

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Here's the main reason you don't move Marpet to tackle - HE'S PLAYING WELL AT GUARD.

It's hard for some fans to accept a good thing and leave it alone

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's hard for some fans to accept a good thing and leave it alone

Buc fans have a proven track record of enjoying great Oline play. They know what it takes!!!

Please wait…

• bucbach234

Participant

It may not have been "nobody" but there were plenty of pundits who didn't think Smith was a NFL LT....As a pass-protector, Smith should move to right tackle. He doesn't have the feet, quickness or agility to play left tackle in the NFL. Smith could stand to work on his feet and not reach after pass-rushers. Early on in his NFL career, he would benefit from some tight end help on his side. Smith has a strong base and is tough to bull rush, but speed rushers could work him going around the corner or cutting to the inside. That being said, Smith has a skill set to develop and could eventually be a well-balanced blocker. He would be better off in a power-man scheme rather than a zone scheme. Smith is a right tackle all the way for the NFL. He could possibly move inside to be a power right guard, but he doesn't look athletic enough to play left tackle. Smith looks like a second-round pick in the 2015 NFL Draft. Read more at http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2015donovansmith.php#AUqmQ7PkWFSfdZWb.99Bottom Line The frame of a guard and the skill set of a guard probably means Smith will end up moving to guard. His hands need work, but with power as his calling card and the ability to hide some of his athletic deficiencies by moving him inside, he has a good shot of getting drafted and fighting for a backup spot. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/donovan-smith?id=2552460

THIS^By no means am I a draft expert. I'm not trying to go into panic mode but just basing things off my initial reactions on draft day, I've felt that Smith seemed better off at guard. He has the strength and power that would be perfect for right guard. Then I read on boards and sites where people believed that Marpet may be able to cut it at Center got me thinking. The right side of the line is generally the strong/power side, perfect for running. The left side is the more athletic side designed for pass protection. i always see the line like, Right side = run and left side = pass. Marpet and Smith are better known for their run blocking.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Just go back to the draft threads where there are plenty of people not happy with the selection saying he didn't deserve to be selected that high as he would take years to develop even at guard.  And I am quite familiar with the OL positions, but maybe you're not aware that he actually played LT in college and did very well, albeit at D3.  At the very least he has the smarts to play LT and knows the technique.  Even the knock now is not on Ali not knowing how to play LT, its that he doesn't fit the accepted physical attributes, like arm length.  Also, if you go back and read all the PR stories, you will find one where Marpet was taking time before prior to practice to practice snapping the ball.  So there is actually reason to include him in the discussion at all three positions.

You apparently realize it's common and needed for your guard to be able to play center.  How does this help your position that he should get looks at LT?? Taking practice snaps at center has nothing to do with a guard (from a D3) being able to play NFL LT. Yes I am familiar with the fact he played tackle at Division III Hobart. YoungOne already explained why this is common for college guards especially at smaller schools. Are you basing your position on his LT play at Hobart or the fact he is smart and seems like he might be a good NFL Guard someday?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have always thought Dotson would be a great LT with his large frame, long wingspan and basketball feet. Apparently he prefers the left side though. I think a beastly line would be:Dotson - Mankins - Marpet - Smith - CherilousBut I think the line will be whats currently being shown:Smith - Mankins - EDS - Marpet - Cherilous

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You apparently realize it's common and needed for your guard to be able to play center.  How does this help your position that he should get looks at LT?? Taking practice snaps at center has nothing to do with a guard (from a D3) being able to play NFL LT. Yes I am familiar with the fact he played tackle at Division III Hobart. YoungOne already explained why this is common for college guards especially at smaller schools. Are you basing your position on his LT play at Hobart or the fact he is smart and seems like he might be a good NFL Guard someday?

Geesch, calm down.  Not sure how you take a statement where I wondered about something and turned it into something that I'm taking a formal position and advocating for something?  Please show us where I stated my position that he should take snaps at LT now.  That simply didn't happen.  Here, let me quote myself once again. Just for you..." I'm not advocating a switch, but LT was his natural position and I wonder what he would look like at LT." "Not advocating" means I'm not taking the position"I wonder" means, well, I wonder, just a casual thought, not a formal positionI didn't know it was illegal to be curious how a player might play at a position that he played several years in college. I get it, you don't think he is LT material.  But you do know there are plenty of players in the history of the NFL who didn't fit the prototype for their position that still played pretty well. Weird huh?  Serious though PM, chill.  We get it, you don't agree with me, big deal. Doesn't mean I can't wonder what he would look like at LT.    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

John Harbaugh – When asked to describe the play of a ‘Marpet’…Hope the video link works.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Geesch, calm down.  Not sure how you take a statement where I wondered about something and turned it into something that I'm taking a formal position and advocating for something?  Please show us where I stated my position that he should take snaps at LT now.  That simply didn't happen.  Here, let me quote myself once again. Just for you..." I'm not advocating a switch, but LT was his natural position and I wonder what he would look like at LT." "Not advocating" means I'm not taking the position"I wonder" means, well, I wonder, just a casual thought, not a formal positionI didn't know it was illegal to be curious how a player might play at a position that he played several years in college. I get it, you don't think he is LT material.  But you do know there are plenty of players in the history of the NFL who didn't fit the prototype for their position that still played pretty well. Weird huh?  Serious though PM, chill.  We get it, you don't agree with me, big deal. Doesn't mean I can't wonder what he would look like at LT.    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Lol are my posts coming off as aggressive? Not the intent. If you're upset I apologize. The initial question sounded/sounds ludicrous to me so I said as much. It sounded like wondering out loud how Melton would do at RB because he played it in college.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lol are my posts coming off as aggressive? Not the intent. If you're upset I apologize. The initial question sounded/sounds ludicrous to me so I said as much. It sounded like wondering out loud how Melton would do at RB because he played it in college.

Now that's some out of the box thinking that I can get down with. Henry Da Icebox Melton.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It sounded like wondering out loud how Melton would do at RB because he played it in college.

And that was at a D1 school.  Might make more sense.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

It sounded like wondering out loud how Melton would do at RB because he played it in college.

And that was at a D1 school.  Might make more sense.

Exactly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donovan got beat by someone who would beat 90% of LTs.... i don't see a big deal there.

If we're thinkin of the same play, had Sims chipped that guy and put a shoulder in his rib cage like he's supposed to, he might not have gotten to Jameis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

good thing your not a Giants fan. Justin Pugh at RT would be beyond ludicrous in your eyes

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly.This notion is almost as bad as the guy that called into the radio suggesting that we move Mike Evans to TE. Geezus.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Donovan got beat by someone who would beat 90% of LTs.... i don't see a big deal there.

If we're thinkin of the same play, had Sims chipped that guy and put a shoulder in his rib cage like he's supposed to, he might not have gotten to Jameis.

Sims needs to improve if he is to be a "third down" back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thomas is taller yea, but same arm length.Are you saying that NFL personnel have most credibility? The same ones who allowed Teddy Bridgewater to  go 32 overrall because of a pro-day despite near flawless game day production. Oh but maybe ideal size > production is what they were thinking.Anyway, I agree with Bucs n Beers, if hes playing well at guard then of course keep him there now. But You seem to think theres no way he would have been better at tackle then D.Smith just because his size isnt ideal. I think thats stupid. Last time there was a conversation here about an athletic lineman who was very undersized for his position, he went onto to win defensive rookie of the year and he's one of the best in the NFL at his position now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/0ap3000000510536/Winston-gets-sacked-for-his-first-time

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Omameh doesn’t have length that is ideal but they decided to try him out on the outside.  If an OT has both ideal length and the feet then we have just described a pro bowl caliber LT.  Lack of length means you are vulnerable to bull rush and swim moves.  While lacking good feet obviously means you are vulnerable to spin moves and outside shoulder rushes.So, you have to pick your poison.  Have a guy with good feet, but lacking length or having a guy with good length but lacking the footwork.I know many have disagreed with me, but I think Marpet could pull off playing OT at the pro level.  And I think Donovan is better suited kicking on the inside.If I had to choose good feet versus length for an OT I am going to take good feet every single time. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/0ap3000000510536/Winston-gets-sacked-for-his-first-time

I can see Winston facing the wrong way when Sims pops open... on 1st and 10.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i'm not sure where you're going with that....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Running backs are usually not the first read. It is obvious he was looking downfield.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Marpet probably succeeds wherever you put him. However C/RG are more likely to result in pro bowls.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's going up against some pretty good DT's everyday in practice, which will get him acclimated quicker.  He's been impressive thus far.

That is exactly what I have seen. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully, we can plug him in and not worry about the position for the next 6-8 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's going up against some pretty good DT's everyday in practice, which will get him acclimated quicker.  He's been impressive thus far.

He's going up against Geno Atkins this week...maybe a different story...But he is a rookie and has to learn all the tricks of the trade...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just re-watched this video. Watch Garrett Gilkey hold the shit out of a guy and sumo flip him. He's soooo bad LOLZ

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully, we can plug him in and not worry about the position for the next 6-8 years.

That would be sweet!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd rather he work out for 10-12 healthy years so we could deal with other needs.....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just re-watched this video. Watch Garrett Gilkey hold the (censored) out of a guy and sumo flip him. He's soooo bad LOLZ

Daaaaaaang What is Warhop teaching these guys ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I just re-watched this video. Watch Garrett Gilkey hold the (censored) out of a guy and sumo flip him. He's soooo bad LOLZ

Yeah, this was another one of the many negative plays from Gilkey at RG.  Most people didn't really notice or remember these because he was so bad at Center.  A few even thought he played well at RG, for some reason or another.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gilkey is just another player on a roster that will be turned over for someone else….At least Oniel Cousins and Collins didn’t come back….It’s harder to replace 3 bodies at once… 1 is a Cake Walk!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sean Mahan > Gilkey

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's going up against Geno Atkins this week...maybe a different story...But he is a rookie and has to learn all the tricks of the trade...

Don't know if Geno is better than Gerald...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has been impressive. I was a little slow to warm up to him, the whole Div III thing and all. But that was Ali who sprung Winston for that rushing TD last week.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t say thats holding, kept his hands inside the shoulders the entire timeReferring to Gilkey's playBut I am excited for Marpet hearing how he's pancaking all pros

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has been impressive. I was a little slow to warm up to him, the whole Div III thing and all. But that was Ali who sprung Winston for that rushing TD last week.

speaking of that play... http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/0ap3000000510564/Can-t-Miss-Play-Winston-jukes-his-way-to-first-TDWhos that at LT for us? If Marpet and Dotson didnt do a good job Winston would have been sacked because that LT got handled. I thought it was smith so i was thinking "uh oh" but thats #76. Smith is #75 right?and man, Marpet more than stonewalled his guy

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith is wearing 76… He just doesn't look to be quick enough - which was the knock against him during draft process right? He really need to shed some weight next off season. Maybe with more reps his foot work and play recognition will improve but he looked like over-matched.I don't think the Bucs DEs are good yardsticks for him during practice either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

[img width=257 height=200]https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11902461_10203048809701582_3481539735230928962_n.jpg?oh=d11f129befb55250f1f4307dd8778113&oe=567CAE6A[/img]He needs to take it easy on the home team tho

When you compare that to last year when Gerald had his way with this oline, kudos to Ali.  Bring it dude, we damn sure need it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith is wearing 76... He just doesn't look to be quick enough - which was the knock against him during draft process right? He really need to shed some weight next off season. Maybe with more reps his foot work and play recognition will improve but he looked like over-matched.I don't think the Bucs DEs are good yardsticks for him during practice either.

damn, i was hoping that was someone else.at least im pretty confident in his run blocking. Run blocking disappointed me the most last year

Please wait…

• ruodrik

Participant

I kind of want to buy a Marpet jersey lol

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Marpet is looking like a stud. No need to drive GMac to the ground though as we need 0 injuries. Let’s save that for Momday.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Marpet is looking like a stud. No need to drive GMac to the ground though as we need 0 injuries. Let's save that for Momday.

Hey the kid has to stick up for himself though. Just because that's Gerald he can't go soft.  Last time I checked only QB's wear orange.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Marpet is looking like a stud. No need to drive GMac to the ground though as we need 0 injuries. Let's save that for Momday.

Hey the kid has to stick up for himself though. Just because that's Gerald he can't go soft.  Last time I checked only QB's wear orange.

Hey I got no problem with him sticking up for himself and if he plays mean that's even better. I was under the impression that generally in TC/preseason practices you try not to go to the ground in order to limit injuries. That's where my comment comes from.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey I got no problem with him sticking up for himself and if he plays mean that's even better. I was under the impression that generally in TC/preseason practices you try not to go to the ground in order to limit injuries. That's where my comment comes from.

I know, but as long as no one gets hurt I think a lil rough housing is a good thing.  Neither should be taking it light.  Believe me after Dotson went down I know we can ill afford an injury. At the same time they both need to give each other the best look they can. I mean this is football, lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I mean its hard to ask for much more in terms of developing a project d3 player than putting him up against a top DT in the game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just heard a radio report saying Ali Marpet’s physical style has been ruffling all kinds of feathers on the Dline. Love it!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don't know if Geno is better than Gerald...

It's not a question of being better...he's going up against a guy he hasn't seen before....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just heard a radio report saying Ali Marpet's physical style has been ruffling all kinds of feathers on the Dline. Love it!

So, JBF posted a video yesterday showing Clint McDonald having to be held back in 11-11 and then Gerald jumping into the offensive huddle. Wonder if that had anything to do with Ali? If so, good! That O-line needs someone with a nasty streak.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Daaaaaaang What is Warhop teaching these guys ?

That's rhetorical....He isnt.Someone just fire him already. And then make them kick gimpy-gilkey off the team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do we think warhop is accelerating marpets transition from d3 to the nfl or that we all just knew nothing about what it takes to be a nfl lineman?Assuming of course that he is actually doing well and not just getting fluffed up by the local media?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do we think warhop is accelerating marpets transition from d3 to the nfl or that we all just knew nothing about what it takes to be a nfl lineman?

I'd guess that no one on here has any idea what the accurate answer is to that, other than a generic, "he's the coach so he's clearly impacting Marpet." Fans often like to talk about which coaches are good or terrible, but the majority of time it's just results-oriented thinking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do we think warhop is accelerating marpets transition from d3 to the nfl or that we all just knew nothing about what it takes to be a nfl lineman?Assuming of course that he is actually doing well and not just getting fluffed up by the local media?

I think GameTime may have developed a cavity typing this out.Take another lap buddy.  You earned it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just heard a radio report saying Ali Marpet's physical style has been ruffling all kinds of feathers on the Dline. Love it!

I agree. Much prefer that to ASJ's half assing it.

Please wait…

• tbfan4047

Participant

Do we think warhop is accelerating marpets transition from d3 to the nfl or that we all just knew nothing about what it takes to be a nfl lineman?

I'd guess that no one on here has any idea what the accurate answer is to that, other than a generic, "he's the coach so he's clearly impacting Marpet." Fans often like to talk about which coaches are good or terrible, but the majority of time it's just results-oriented thinking.

Results are all fans can use to judge. That is an incomplete judge of how good or bad a coach is, but hey how else are we going to debate? *On the other hand I tend to believe position coaches are underrated. The general sentiment is that Seattle drafted amazingly and that's how they got such a great defense. I've always questioned whether it was great drafting or great coaching of 3-7 round players. I think it's both, but the drafting is what is generally praised.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Results are all fans can use to judge. That is an incomplete judge of how good or bad a coach is, but hey how else are we going to debate?

No idea, and not saying not to do it, just saying that none of us really have any idea what we're talking about. :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree. Much prefer that to ASJ's half assing it.

Hate you haven't heard asj is 6'6 he's a pf out there! No effort needed!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warhop has a career filled with SUCK and has been fired multiple times while fielding some of the worst offensive lines of the last 15 years. Marpet is an athletic freak with a chip on his shoulder because of the D3 thing and a lot of doubt cast around him as a project. Pretty reluctant to give Warhop credit for him tbh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think GameTime may have developed a cavity typing this out.Take another lap buddy.  You earned it.

I ain’t gonna lie, way over my head.  I thought you were going the dentistry route.  But then I started thinking swimming.  I finished up on money.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warhop has a career filled with SUCK and has been fired multiple times while fielding some of the worst offensive lines of the last 15 years. Marpet is an athletic freak with a chip on his shoulder because of the D3 thing and a lot of doubt cast around him as a project. Pretty reluctant to give Warhop credit for him tbh.

As long as you are on record for him being a good draft pick by LILO.  Many weren’t.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As long as you are on record for him being a good draft pick by LILO.  Many weren't.

Dude has an interesting family, some in St Pete. He is sharing an apt with his brother. He is well known for being "frugal".

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He has planted McCoy twice, frustrated him…He's going to be alright.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

He has planted McCoy twice, frustrated him...He's going to be alright.

Lets see how he does against the Bungles line.They are pretty good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Home boy kicked Geno Atkins’ ass tonight. Mankins didn’t fair so well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Loving this kid. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Home boy kicked Geno Atkins' ass tonight. Mankins didn't fair so well.

Huh?  He had a lot of help on Atkins and Atkins whooped him good on that sack where Winston got his ankle rolled up.  Marpet was also flagged for that illegal hands to the face.  I wouldn't say that Marpet had a bad night, but he surely didn't kick Atkins' ass.I don't understand what this board is watching sometimes.  So far I've read that Fragel got abused and Marpet kicked Atkins' ass.  Fragel had the better night from what I saw.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Huh?  He had a lot of help on Atkins and Atkins whooped him good on that sack where Winston got his ankle rolled up.  Marpet was also flagged for that illegal hands to the face.  I wouldn't say that Marpet had a bad night, but he surely didn't kick Atkins' ass.I don't understand what this board is watching sometimes.  So far I've read that Fragel got abused and Marpet kicked Atkins' ass.  Fragel had the better night from what I saw.

Watch again, the sack he tripped over himself, Atkins was going against Mankins. Marpet stonewalled him or pushed him back more than visa versa.And really not going to get worked up about penalties last night that crew was ridiculous.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watch again, the sack he tripped over himself, Atkins was going against Mankins. Marpet stonewalled him or pushed him back more than visa versa.And really not going to get worked up about penalties last night that crew was ridiculous.

I agree. Put an extra ref on the field and of course there will be alot more penalties.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree. Put an extra ref on the field and of course there will be alot more penalties.

Like back to back to back punts where there was a fair catch or it went out of bounds and we’ve got penalties. Thank god the team came out ready last night or that game would’ve been unwatchable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah man from what I saw Marpet looked good tonight going against Geno. I believe Mankins is the one that was getting blown up. As far as Fragel, was not impressed, he was getting beat on the outside pretty consistently.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Atkins whipped both Marpet and Mankins at times last night.  Not a slam on either guy, as Atkins looked like he did pre-injury.Overall, Marpet played solidly again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As far as Fragel, was not impressed, he was getting beat on the outside pretty consistently.

getting beat by who?  he was up against dunlap all night and dunlap was invisible minus a QB facemask.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nah...It was Marpet that got whooped good on that play by Atkins.http://www.bucsnation.com/2015/8/24/9203165/jameis-winston-injury-sprained-ankle-doesnt-look-too-serious-for-bucs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As far as Fragel, was not impressed, he was getting beat on the outside pretty consistently.

getting beat by who?  he was up against dunlap all night and dunlap was invisible minus a QB facemask.

Exactly.  I don't know where people are getting the idea that Fragel had a bad night.  He played really well I thought. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly.  I don't know where people are getting the idea that Fragel had a bad night.  He played really well I thought.

I wouldn't say he played really well.  He didn't suck either.  They helped him often with a TE, knowing he might struggle on his own.I will say he performed better than the rookie second rounder OT, though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nah...It was Marpet that got whooped good on that play by Atkins.http://www.bucsnation.com/2015/8/24/9203165/jameis-winston-injury-sprained-ankle-doesnt-look-too-serious-for-bucs

You’re right. Was thinking it was Mankins because that’s who it looked like he tripped over.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't say he played really well.  He didn't suck either.  They helped him often with a TE, knowing he might struggle on his own.I will say he performed better than the rookie second rounder OT, though.

I enjoyed the performances of both second round picks.  Bucs have done far worse...

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

Completely disagree, I thought D. Smith had an outstanding game. The one penalty they called on him was BS, otherwise, Smith was borderline dominant against Wallace Gilberry.I think I saw Gil Brandt tweet something out about how he thought Smith played well as well for whatever that's worth.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Completely disagree, I thought D. Smith had an outstanding game. The one penalty they called on him was BS, otherwise, Smith was borderline dominant against Wallace Gilberry.I think I saw Gil Brandt tweet something out about how he thought Smith played well as well for whatever that's worth.

Agreed on the penalty.  That was BS.Where Smith really struggled last night was his run blocking, which he's supposed to be fairly good at.  He was decent in pass-pro, but his run blocking left quite a bit to be desired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I saw some plays where Marpet got the better of Atkins. Bottom line: he held his own against one of the best in the league. Considering that this was his first NFL start, I’d give him a passing grade. Kid is only going to get better….I think some excitement is justifiable.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

Agreed on the penalty.  That was BS.Where Smith really struggled last night was his run blocking, which he's supposed to be fairly good at.  He was decent in pass-pro, but his run blocking left quite a bit to be desired.

FALSE! How did you arrive at that assessment? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but your statement above is just not true. I went back and watched the entire first quarter, and Smith blocked his ass off - in the pass AND run game. He looked the part last night for real. I made sure to key in on him last night and I remember thinking how great he was doing, so it surprised me to see this comment above so I rewatched it, and sure enough, Smith played a hell of a game, and he deserves his props for it, not sure why some would say he didn't run block well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

FALSE! How did you arrive at that assessment?

I watched him not play very well.

Please wait…

• jeebz116

Participant

FALSE! How did you arrive at that assessment?

I watched him not play very well.

Really? Great analysis there Coach Parcells. Which play did he "not play very well" on? You'll have a hard time finding one. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Please wait…

Viewing 120 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.