All-22 Film Review: Bucs QB Jameis Winston’s 30 INTs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Havok904
    Participant

So just how many of Winston’s 30 interceptions happened because of poor decisions by Tampa Bay’s controversial quarterback? Let’s go to the league’s All-22 film to breakdown all 30 INTs in great detail, examining as much context as we possibly can to find an answer as close to the truth as we can get.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Pepsi
    Participant

Pasting Nobody’s breakdown here for quick reference incase anyone wants to compare. Their numbers on Winston faulted ints are pretty different..

2019 – How Many Interceptions Were Not Jameis’ Fault?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    LIBucsFan93
    Participant

Anyone that has watched Winston for any length of time knows that he’s doesn’t throw the touch pass well at all. He’s great a zipping the ball in there. On the shorter routes that require timing and touch his receivers have trouble controlling the ball.

You can say that the WR should’ve caught the ball but Winston isn’t absolved of blame either. Receivers try to make plays on poorly thrown (High or behind) all the time. This article is simply trying to deflect blame away from Winston. 30 interceptions isn’t an anomaly. Winston’s gunslinger mentality is the primary concern and that is never going to change IMO.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

I didn’t read the whole breakdown.  I just looked at our first different determination and then scrolled to the bottom.

The Screen wasn’t his fault because…the Offensive Line…and 15.5 were not his fault overall?

That is unfortunate.  Oftentimes I like Trevor’s work.  This is not one of those times.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pennywise
    Participant

I’ll put my stock in nobody ,unbias opinion.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    kenntak
    Participant

Give me Nobody’s analysis any day. Someone should analyze how many interceptions Winston should have had but were dropped by the defender and include those too. Those could have been his fault too.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

The only one where I could see real disagreement is on the Watson Option route Week 17 vs Houston.

If someone were to say “the option that Watson didn’t run was a Dig route, not a Post route”, then we could have some conversation about that (because, I stated in my analysis, the Dig route works against that coverage, while the Post route is in big trouble because its naturally bracketed by the boundary CB technique and the Single High Safety who is sitting in the kitchen of the Post).

However, the way the play works out doesn’t remotely look like Dig was the option.  The ball would have been an entirely different trajectory.  If Jameis was throwing the Dig there, the ball would have been hugely airmailed.  It was definitely a Post that he threw.

And all of that is besides the point, the real culprit of that pick isn’t about the Option route.  The real culprit of that play is that you’ve got a pair of Verts against two entirely different CB techniques (Off, outside leverage, Bail and Press, outside leverage, Bump-and-run in-phase) w/ a Single High Safety in between.

The QB play here is look off the Safety toward Watson and then go back to the Bump-and-Run CB on the other side which ultimately loses to the Go route.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    buc_boi
    Participant

I find topics like these to be quite interesting, you know these forums are an outlet for us fans to discuss any topic related to our bucs. Such as topics like this very one,  but I feel like this topic shreds more light onto the authors intentions more so than the actual content of the the thread.

I say this because I don’t remember too many topics excusing Mike Glennons poor play, PR is a know Winston apologist so I’m not surprised they believe half of Winston interceptions are due to the “team around him”… reality suggests differently.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    FireLicht2020
    Participant

PR no longer stand for Pewter Report. It stands for public relations – for Winston.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

I say this because I don’t remember too many topics excusing Mike Glennons poor play, PR is a know Winston apologist so I’m not surprised they believe half of Winston interceptions are due to the “team around him”… reality suggests differently.
    ____
    Try reading the article.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

FireLicht2020
    PR no longer stand for Pewter Report. It stands for public relations – for Winston.
    ____
    LoL
    You must have stopped reading after the title.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    seekpar
    Participant

I didn’t look at the report. I already invested a bunch of time reviewing Nobody’s excellent analysis. He gotta go. Aimless Jameis is not worth $10m let alone $25-$30m. He and his reps are only looking at the 5k+ yards and 33 TDs, not the 30 INTS. The money the Bucs would have to pay Aimless Jameis is much better spent elsewhere. My concern is the Bucs ownership and management do not have the guts to admit they screwed up royally and let Aimless Jameis go.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Badtimes
    Participant

Trevor Sikkema is a reporter whose income depends on access to players. Reporters who lose access to players find themselves on the outside.

Nobody’s analysis of Winston’s interceptions was more accurate.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    buc_boi
    Participant

____

Try reading the article.

I did

edit: “If Winston’s teammates had not had balls bounce off their hands or run the wrong routes would that have led to fewer turnovers and meant more wins for Tampa Bay in 2019? Yes“

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GoldsonAges
    Participant

I agree with the majority of these.

On No.2 anyone with knowledge of route running can literally see Barber butchered that route. It’s obvious.

I would give Dare 1/2 of No.3 as he HAD to cross Buckners face in order for the play to be successful.

Overall a very good unbiased breakdown.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

GottaJaboo wrote:
    (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
    Update - UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.