Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• Mark Cook

Keymaster

Where do the new Buccaneers acquired through free agency and the draft fit in on the depth chart? PewterReport.com takes an early look at Tampa Bay’s 53-man roster and makes some interesting projections.https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php?option=com_k2&Itemid=20&view=item&layout=item&id=9811

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty good analysis, but I disagree a bit on a few….- I'm not convinced we'll keep a "true" fullback. Mike James has played there in college as well. I think we'll keep 5 RB/FB total. - I understand the 5-WR look, but to me that can be accomplished with players like Sims and Demps or Tim Wright out wide. I wouldn't keep a sub-standard WR on the active roster just for a formation we'll rarely see.- When Licht arrived he said they'd keep 3 QBs. Not sure if that's still operative. - I've got a hunch that there's an OL on someone else's roster that will take one of the OL spots.- I like the call of Melvin - really looking to see how he performs after his "redshirt" year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty good analysis, but I disagree a bit on a few....- I'm not convinced we'll keep a "true" fullback. Mike James has played there in college as well. I think we'll keep 5 RB/FB total. - I understand the 5-WR look, but to me that can be accomplished with players like Sims and Demps or Tim Wright out wide. I wouldn't keep a sub-standard WR on the active roster just for a formation we'll rarely see.- When Licht arrived he said they'd keep 3 QBs. Not sure if that's still operative. - I've got a hunch that there's an OL on someone else's roster that will take one of the OL spots.- I like the call of Melvin - really looking to see how he performs after his "redshirt" year.

I agree with this and, as the article hints, I think Bowers is a goner, probably Nicks as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I suspect if Nicks can play at all he’ll be kept this year due to his contract still guaranteed for this year. If they think he won’t be ready to play he may start the season on the PUP list to see if they can get anything at all late in the season. That way they can keep the possibility alive without using up a roster spot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t disagree with your choices, but the options at guard stink!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What I see for this season is a new way and new schemes;  I don’t see all the pieces of the puzzle here yet on this roster.  I would say we are about 6 starters away from being a play off contender and they are not on this roster yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m curious, what 6 spots?  guessing here…2 guardsslot receiverDELBslot  cornerI didn't say safety since I think we can function with what we have once goldson is gone.  You're probably thinking qb, but I'm willing to give mccown a look...the pr is working on me because I'm starting to grow some optimism about him.I agree that we need upgrades, just wondering what you're thinking.  I definitely think our talent pool is shallow, but that's common across the league... it's why I value good coaching so much.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Slot receiver and DE may already be on the roster.  We’ll have to see how things go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would 6-7 starting players that fit in a rotation or a spot. DE, DT, OG, OG, slot Receiver, LB (no legit back up), DB.  We have quite a few unproven players that haven’t verified they can play at a position full time, if an injury occurs with a starter; much less in a rotational position.  Still question marks, but less than last year.  I just can’t state right now that we are a playoff team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would 6-7 starting players that fit in a rotation or a spot. DE, DT, OG, OG, slot Receiver, LB (no legit back up), DB.  We have quite a few unproven players that haven't verified they can play at a position full time, if an injury occurs with a starter; much less in a rotational position.  Still question marks, but less than last year.  I just can't state right now that we are a playoff team.

Little confused here. You stated 6-7 starters away and then explained them as back up positions...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I don’t understand this 6-7 starters away either. I think that really overstates the depth of the issues here in some ways  (and oddly maybe understates them in others). I say overstates because we consistently see teams in this league with holes go to the playoffs and even advance. We just saw a team win a SB with two lousy guards, a broken LT, 3 WRs who aren't in V-Jax's league, and a TE who isn't very good. Are they 6 starters away?Why isn't Dane Fletcher a legit backup? And I say understates, because somehow you don't have QB on the list. Not saying QB it's impossible that McCown or Glennon take us to the playoff, just that if we improve at QB playoffs are easily within the grasp. If we don't, it won't matter how many legit backup linebackers we have.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biggest issue this year, as always will be depth. I think, on paper and in their underwear, the Bucs first 22 looks much improved. I will also say, the depth is much better per position. What we never take into account is the annual list of 11 to 15 IR players, usually starters or top reserves. Simple logic is if you play enough, you get injured, therefore key players go down. So how L&L deal with that annual problem will tell us how the Bucs will fare. Lookat Glennon last year, no Oline, no Mike Williams or Doug Martin. So the dreaded IR will be HUGE, as always.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Okay; I take it back that I should have said 6-7 as starters and unproven players. 

Please wait…

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.