Viewing 11 reply threads

• Author

• nitey

Participant

Something that I just read from Roy Cummings just got me to thinking ‘For example, we know it is going to be an “up-tempo’’ scheme designed to quickly get the ball into the hands of the playmakers.’ Considering that we took Evans and followed that up with ASJ in the second and Sims in the 3rd, our offense seems to be following the plan that Trestman implemented in Chicago. That was a offense predicated on quick throws and McCown excelled in it and the Bears finished with the #2 offense last season. It seems to me that Lovie probably watched Bear football a lot last season while he sat out; because, well, why not see what someone else was able to do with your team? What did they do different and well? I think it makes a lot of sense for Tedford to implement something very similar to that offense in Tampa. They would have 16 games of tape to look at, they would have McCown's knowledge of the offense and a demonstrable ability to run that type of offense successfully. Now we add similar pieces (Evans, ASJ and Sims) and what do you have? Chicago's offense.JMO, but the facts seem to be there to support the theory. If you want to see the Bucs offense, look at Chicago's last season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well… Cal Bears, maybe.http://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Marcus-Arroyo-Speaks-to-the-Media/9d64db9f-fa09-4fd0-be78-174fd2faad15

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The personnel supports the theory.  What I do wonder, is how much does Lovie really want to run the ball?  Trestman’s Bears were about the passing game.  I’m suspecting that Lovie won’t run the ball nearly as much as the media has stated.  And as far as I’m concerned, that’s unfortunate.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Lovie wants a balanced attack. When the defense tries to protect against the pass, he wants running backs that can run and not just pass protect or catch a pass out of the backfield. But if the defense stacks the line to stop the run, that running back needs to be able to come out and be a reliable receiver underneath. Simms seems like the perfect back in that scenario.I don't think the Bucs are going to carbon copy Trestman's Bears, but I suspect that Tedford/Lovie were strongly influenced by them. From what I can see, both Trestman and Tedford seem to like up tempo offenses where the ball gets quickly out of the quarterbacks hands. Unlike last season's offense where the quarterback reacted to the receivers, this offense will be more timing routes with a clear read progression. Look here, here and then here and the ball is out of the quarterbacks hands in less than 2 seconds. I already posted a link about a month ago where it appeared that Tedford had changed Glennon's release in order to make his delivery quicker. I think that if you want to see something close to the Bucs on offense, look at Chicago last season under McCown. JMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agree, we’ll be getting the ball out quickly and spreading it around.  I see the RB’s very active in the passing game as a safety valve if the primary is covered.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Lovie wants a balanced attack. When the defense tries to protect against the pass, he wants running backs that can run and not just pass protect or catch a pass out of the backfield. But if the defense stacks the line to stop the run, that running back needs to be able to come out and be a reliable receiver underneath. Simms seems like the perfect back in that scenario.I don't think the Bucs are going to carbon copy Trestman's Bears, but I suspect that Tedford/Lovie were strongly influenced by them. From what I can see, both Trestman and Tedford seem to like up tempo offenses where the ball gets quickly out of the quarterbacks hands. Unlike last season's offense where the quarterback reacted to the receivers, this offense will be more timing routes with a clear read progression. Look here, here and then here and the ball is out of the quarterbacks hands in less than 2 seconds. I already posted a link about a month ago where it appeared that Tedford had changed Glennon's release in order to make his delivery quicker. I think that if you want to see something close to the Bucs on offense, look at Chicago last season under McCown. JMO.

Did the Bears run any two TE sets?  Don't know, but we'd be crazy not to run it with our new personnel.  My guess is that we'll see an amalgamation of  NE, NOLA, Denver and the Iggles.Each  one has it's own wrinkles that  cause matchup problems. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hope it’s a lot like this…http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2091113-chip-kellys-offense-presents-biggest-challenge-to-nfl-defensive-coordinators

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did the Bears run any two TE sets?  Don't know, but we'd be crazy not to run it with our new personnel.  My guess is that we'll see an amalgamation of  NE, NOLA, Denver and the Iggles.Each  one has it's own wrinkles that  cause matchup problems.

They did, but I think we might have better personnel this year. We actually could run a 3 TE, 3 WR set with the personnel we have and be effective I think. Everything hinges on the offensive line. Warhop is correct in saying that his guy's are the linchpin of this years hopes. If we can get decent play out of the line and avoid key injuries, I think the offense could be a top 10 unit. We certainly seem to have decent depth at the skill positions this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hope it's a lot like this...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2091113-chip-kellys-offense-presents-biggest-challenge-to-nfl-defensive-coordinators

From the article "Remember, these are the same passing concepts we see from Andy Reid in Kansas City or Marc Trestman in Chicago along with the various “air raid” systems in the college game.Yep, I think it will be similar. But since we effectively copied Chicago's personnel, I'm thinking more Chicago than anything else.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“We actually could run a 3 TE, 3 WR set with the personnel we have.”No QB?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"We actually could run a 3 TE, 3 WR set with the personnel we have."No QB?

Typo, meant 3 TE, 2 WR. :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love what the Bucs have done on offense, because if and when Evans and ASJ play to their potential the Bucs have a top notch set of first string guys. Even beyond, the Bucs have real depth on offense for the first time I can really remember as a fan. After Jackson and Evans, all the WRs are ~4.4 veteran guys. Very nice depth at RB, with real X-Factors in Sims and Demps. Can’t wait for August.

Please wait…

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.