Viewing 56 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Are the Bucs ready to challenge for the NFC South crown? Greg Gabriel  National Football PostJune 21, 2014, 10:30 PM EST..gru_zps2cbfbb2d.png The Tampa Bay Buccaneers haven’t been in the playoffs since the 2007 season when they lost to the New York Giants in a wildcard game. Jon Gruden was the Head Coach then, and they have had three Head Coaches since Gruden was fired after the 2008 season. Raheem Morris followed Gruden and held the job for three seasons. The Bucs then hired Greg Schiano who lasted a total if two seasons. This past January, former Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith was handed the reins and it’s his job to turn the Bucs into a playoff contender. Smith hasn’t coached a game yet, but he has done a great job acquiring new talent through free agency and the draft. He hired a very experienced coaching staff, and it looks as though the Bucs are headed in the right direction. Quarterback A year ago, Mike Glennon was a third round draft choice and looked to be the Bucs quarterback of the future, especially with his strong play the end of the 2013 season. That may not be the case anymore. When Smith came in, he didn’t exactly endorse Glennon and then signed free agent Josh McCown who had an outstanding season in Chicago last year when Jay Cutler went down. At 34, McCown doesn’t have many years left so he has to take advantage of this opportunity. I feel that under new offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford, McCown has a chance to flourish. As for Glennon, he has to show he has a future during the pre-season, otherwise, Tampa Bay may be looking for a quarterback in the 2015 draft. Running Back Most NFL clubs would rather have a rotation at running back than have a single “bell cow” runner. The lead back in Tampa is 2012 first round pick Doug Martin. He ran for over 1400 yards as a rookie but only played in six games a year ago. Martin has the talent to be a consistent 1000 yard rusher in the NFL. The backups will be rookie Charles Sims, who has excellent receiving talent, and second year man Mike James. James ran for 295 yards and a 4.9 average per carry as a rookie. This trio will give the Bucs a lot of flexibility. Receivers and Tight End The Bucs have talent at the receiver position. The main returning veteran is Vincent Jackson who caught 78 passes a year ago. The player who has everyone excited is first round pick Mike Evans. Evans has the size and speed to be a Brandon Marshall-type receiver. The slot receiver could very well be rookie Robert Herron who is a quick and fast receiver with excellent run skills. Chris Owusu will also challenge for the slot receiver position. Going into training camp, the tight end could very well be Brandon Myers, a free agent who was with the Giants a year ago. Myers has had over 120 receptions the last two seasons. The player I expect to be the top tight end coming out of camp is rookie Austin Seferian-Jenkins from Washington. Seferian-Jenkins has size and speed and was a first round talent. He value dropped a little because of a broken foot that was discovered at the Combine. Offensive Line The new staff felt the offensive line needed some upgrades and took care of that problem in free agency. They signed for Cincinnati Bengal Anthony Collins to play left tackle and former Packer Evan Dietrich-Smith to play center. This will give the Bucs experience and leadership. At right tackle is Demar Dotson. Left guard Carl Nicks was recently cleared to play and will be a big help. The right guard should be second year man Patrick Omameh. This group has to stay healthy as the depth is average. Defensive Line On paper, the defensive line has some talented players. In the past, they all haven’t played to their talent level. Defensive line coach Joe Cullen demands high effort, so I look for those who underachieved to step it up. Tampa Bay needed an edge rusher and signed former Bengal Michael Johnson to play right end. While his sack total was off last year, he had a total of 17.5 sacks in 2011 and 2012. The other end will be Adrian Clayborn who played on the right side last year. The Bucs are hoping that Da’Quan Bowers will step it up this year. He has been a disappointment but has talent. The key defensive line position in Smith’s defense is the 3-technique. The Bucs have a good one in Gerald McCoy. He has the quickness and explosiveness to be a very good inside pass rusher. The nose tackle will most likely be former Seahawk Clinton McDonald. He will play in a rotation with second year man Akeem Spence. Spence doesn’t have ideal nose tackle size but is very quick. Linebacker Just as the defensive line needs a top 3-technique, the linebacker group has to have a top Will. The Buccaneers have that player in Lavonte David. He can do for the Bucs defense what Lance Briggs did for the Bears under Lovie. The Mike will probably be Mason Foster who has improved every year. He will be pushed by former Patriot Dane Foster who was signed as a free agent. The Sam positon belongs to Jonathan Casillas who should be a good fit. Secondary Smith cut Darrelle Revis, who was one of the best corners in the game because his cap number was out of whack. To replace Revis, the Bucs signed Alterraun Verner form Tennessee. Verner is a perfect fit for Smith’s defense and has great ball skills. The other corner will be the winner of the camp battle between free agent signee Mike Jenkins and second year man Jonathan Banks. If Jenkins plays to his potential he should be the starter, but Banks is also a talent and just needs to play with consistency. Former Bear D.J. Moore could figure in as a key reserve. Tampa Bay is strong at safety with Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron. Both have ideal size and are physical players. Another former Bear who played well under Smith is Major Wright. He should be the third safety and get a lot of play time in sub packages. I look for the Bucs to be a much improved team in 2014, but I think they are still a year away from challenging for the NFC South title. The NFC South has three other teams that will all compete for a playoff spot in Carolina, New Orleans and Atlanta. The NFC South and the NFC West may be the two strongest divisions in the NFL. Follow Greg on Twitter @greggabe

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they are.  Atlanta and Carolina don’t scare me. But the Saints are good on both sides of the ball. They will be tough to beat. But the Bucs could be in the wildcard race in the NFC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Carolina is definitely circling the drain. Mike Shula calling plays plus no offensive talent besides Cam? They’ll be lucky to average 17 points a game.  That defense played out of it’s mind last year, but they had a lot go right for them, masking that troublesome secondary. I think Carolina will take a major step back this season. Even their fans are resigned to it. It wasn’t just injuries that caused Atlanta’s downfall. They’re weak on both lines and they got worse, not better on defense. Having Julio back will help – but we saw with Revis and Nicks that coming back from injuries you’re not automatically your old self.  That trade stripped the Falcons of high draft picks they could have used for depth now. No, the Falcons will continue to suck.Which leaves the Bucs and Saints. I think the Bucs will be dramatically better this season and take a significant leap. Will it be enough to beat out the Saints? New Orleans lost a lot of crucial talent like Sproles and will be relying on a rookie in Cooks to replace that production. They took some hits on defense as well, but that could be off-set if Jarius Byrd can get healthy (back surgery is never anything to discount). How they managed to sign him, I'm still trying to figure out...Yes, the Bucs can contend in the NFC South. It really all depends on how quickly Tedford's offense can take hold and if McCown can hold up for 16 games. I'm a believer in McCown. I think the guy can have a Rich Gannon/Jim Plunkett-esque late career resurgence.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How quickly our guys come together under Lovie & his assistants is key for us, and I think Lovie knows this. If we get off on the wrong foot, we’ll have a hard time making the playoffs. This is gonna be one competitive TC; many new players, many new challengers for playing time this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we’re ready to contend but I think the Saints win the division this year. I see us as contenders for a wild card spot, most likely. It's funny to me how many articles talk about our TE situation and forget to mention Tim Wright. I actually expect him to get the most snaps, at least until ASJ gets his feet under him and gets up to speed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they are.  Atlanta and Carolina don't scare me. But the Saints are good on both sides of the ball. They will be tough to beat. But the Bucs could be in the wildcard race in the NFC.

All this.The Saints have some of the best coaching too.  Ryan and Payton both deserve high praise.  Those guys know football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Lovie’s early approach to building camaraderie and trust with these players will pay off quickly.  The Saints are still the class of the conference but we have beat them with worse teams than we are about to field.  The QB battle will be interesting to watch in the pre-season.  If we are going to contend, turnovers at the QB spot will be as big a factor as any one stat in our success. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unless Lovie can make this defense a top 5 group, the answer is no, not as long as McCown is the QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Unless Lovie can make this defense a top 5 group, the answer is no, not as long as McCown is the QB.

McCown is a tough watch.  I know people are hoping he's more like last season than the numerous ones before but he throws pics. That is not good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This team can win with a top 15 defense...Turnovers and forced punts are the winning keys....and the hallmark of Lovie's defenseIf the offense can avg at least 20 points/game, the Bucs will be legit...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown is a tough watch.  I know people are hoping he's more like last season than the numerous ones before but he throws pics. That is not good.

Peyton throws a lot of picks also as did lots of other QB greats. At the end of the day it's about which team played better as a whole. The goal is to do more good then bad but make no mistakes there will be bad in every game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd rather have my qb attempt to try and make a big play down 14-20 points and throw a pic then Ur boy glennon throw a three yard dumpoff and go three and out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd rather have my qb attempt to try and make a big play down 14-20 points and throw a pic then Ur boy glennon throw a three yard dumpoff and go three and out.

So Glennon is incapable of getting more comfortable from year one to year two?  The years where QBs historically have their most growth. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This team can win with a top 15 defense...Turnovers and forced punts are the winning keys....and the hallmark of Lovie's defenseIf the offense can avg at least 20 points/game, the Bucs will be legit...

That's the thing, with McCown, I don't believe 20ppg is a reasonable expectation.  Besides, 20ppg won't be enough anyway.  Last year there were 7 teams that failed to average at least 20ppg - Dolphins, Browns, Giants, Jets, Bucs, Houston, and Jacksonville... all 7 failed to have a winning record.  In fact, Carolina had the worst scoring offense that had a winning record and they averaged 22.9ppg and they ranked 2nd in OPPG.  So like I said, unless they're going to be an elite defense, their chances of winning the division are virtually 0 because McCown is a below average QB.  Simply, he's just not good enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So Glennon is incapable of getting more comfortable from year one to year two?  The years where QBs historically have their most growth.

So what? Freeman had growth from year 1 to year 2 with a far less talented team then what glennon had last year. What's Ur point?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So what? Freeman had growth from year 1 to year 2 with a far less talented team then what glennon had last year. What's Ur point?

Look, there have been a 1500 or so teams that have taken the field in the modern era.  None of them were less talented on offense than the Bucs were last year. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon had talent last year?  That’s news!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's the thing, with McCown, I don't believe 20ppg is a reasonable expectation.  Besides, 20ppg won't be enough anyway.  Last year there were 7 teams that failed to average at least 20ppg - Dolphins, Browns, Giants, Jets, Bucs, Houston, and Jacksonville... all 7 failed to have a winning record.  In fact, Carolina had the worst scoring offense that had a winning record and they averaged 22.9ppg and they ranked 2nd in OPPG.  So like I said, unless they're going to be an elite defense, their chances of winning the division are virtually 0 because McCown is a below average QB.  Simply, he's just not good enough.

Actually, they have a 25% chance of winning the division. Same as everyone else in the division.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look, there have been a 1500 or so teams that have taken the field in the modern era.  None of them were less talented on offense than the Bucs were last year.

I doubt that but ok bud. Whatever u say. Vjax is still better then anyone on that roster that Freeman played with. So the jags last year were loaded on offense is what Ur saying right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Actually, they have a 25% chance of winning the division. Same as everyone else in the division.

No, not really.  Odds are based on games of chance.  Since they actually play a game and results aren't mathematically produced, their odds aren't 25%.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While over the course of his career, McCown has been a below average QB, you don't go into games putting your QB's career stats up against the other teams' QB's career stats. Games are played here in the now and last season McCown was much better than below average. He was legitimately good. I don't like being in the position to have to count on these things, such is life as a Bucs fan, but there's a solid 30-40% chance McCown is going through some Rich Gannon/Kurt Warner/Brad Johnson/Jeff Garcia late period bloom.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

QFT

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They went all offense in the draft for a reason. It will take a handful of games but we are going to be fine on offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So Glennon is incapable of getting more comfortable from year one to year two? 

that is my belief

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, not really.  Odds are based on games of chance.  Since they actually play a game and results aren't mathematically produced, their odds aren't 25%.

Especially when one of those teams has Brees

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not exactly. No team has won back to back division titles so the Panther's have a 0% chance at the division. The other 3 teams have a 33% shot at the title.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Are they ready to challenge for the crown? Sure. Every team is. Are they serious contenders? Nope. Hate to say it, but they’re not. Lot of unproven guys on the O-line. Unproven QB. Unproven rookies at skill positions. I think 8-8 is the ceiling for this team. Sorry, but I just don’t see a miraculous turnaround in one season. Won’t stop me from hoping for it. 2015 is another story.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Are they ready to challenge for the crown? Sure. Every team is. Are they serious contenders? Nope. Hate to say it, but they're not. Lot of unproven guys on the O-line. Unproven QB. Unproven rookies at skill positions. I think 8-8 is the ceiling for this team. Sorry, but I just don't see a miraculous turnaround in one season. Won't stop me from hoping for it. 2015 is another story.

unproven doesn't equate to incapable

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Are they ready to challenge for the crown? Sure. Every team is. Are they serious contenders? Nope. Hate to say it, but they're not. Lot of unproven guys on the O-line. Unproven QB. Unproven rookies at skill positions. I think 8-8 is the ceiling for this team. Sorry, but I just don't see a miraculous turnaround in one season. Won't stop me from hoping for it. 2015 is another story.

unproven doesn't equate to incapable

It doesn't bode well for finding copious amounts of success either.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wish I had the desire to look for posts from Chiefs boards around this time last year…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah.  Who would have predicted they wouldn’t have beat a single team with a winning record.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Tedford is for real, it won’t take but a little time for this team to gel.  We will see quickly what we have with him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I completely agree, and I think 8 wins is pushing it. 6 is more likely this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While over the course of his career, McCown has been a below average QB, you don't go into games putting your QB's career stats up against the other teams' QB's career stats. Games are played here in the now and last season McCown was much better than below average. He was legitimately good. I don't like being in the position to have to count on these things, such is life as a Bucs fan, but there's a solid 30-40% chance McCown is going through some Rich Gannon/Kurt Warner/Brad Johnson/Jeff Garcia late period bloom.

Hey, if you want to tie your hopes to a pipe dream, that's fine with me.  Plus, there's a flaw with your logic regarding 3 of your 4 QB's.  Yes, they had a resurgence late in their careers, but they were all starters at some point in their careers prior to their 30's... let alone being 35!  Garcia was an excellent starter in the CFL.  Brad Johnson was pretty decent (nothing special - but decent), in his late 20's.  Kurt Warner was 28.  Rich Gannon is your best correlation, so if you want to hang your hat on Tedford being the offensive genius to turn a journeyman 35-year old career backup into an all-star, go ahead... but it's very unrealistic.  Even Gannon was given a 3-year trial as a starter.  No one ever thought that much of McCown.I'm not saying he is definitely going to stink, I just think the odds point in that direction. The Bears' offense last year was the exact opposite of what Lovie had in the previous year and years prior.  Lovie is likely to instruct Tedford to be fairly conservative early on.  Not to mention that Marshall, Forte, and Jeffery are light years better than Jackson, Martin, and Evans.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey, if you want to tie your hopes to a pipe dream, that's fine with me.  Plus, there's a flaw with your logic regarding 3 of your 4 QB's.  Yes, they had a resurgence late in their careers, but they were all starters at some point in their careers prior to their 30's... let alone being 35!  Garcia was an excellent starter in the CFL.  Brad Johnson was pretty decent (nothing special - but decent), in his late 20's.  Kurt Warner was 28.  Rich Gannon is your best correlation, so if you want to hang your hat on Tedford being the offensive genius to turn a journeyman 35-year old career backup into an all-star, go ahead... but it's very unrealistic.  Even Gannon was given a 3-year trial as a starter.  No one ever thought that much of McCown.I'm not saying he is definitely going to stink, I just think the odds point in that direction. The Bears' offense last year was the exact opposite of what Lovie had in the previous year and years prior.  Lovie is likely to instruct Tedford to be fairly conservative early on.  Not to mention that Marshall, Forte, and Jeffery are light years better than Jackson, Martin, and Evans.

This is inaccurate. McCown wasn't Kurt Warner bagging groceries his entire life.  He was drafted in the 3rd round by the Arizona Cardinals. The Cards still had Jake Plummer then and McCown was limited to 10 starts in his first couple seasons. In '04, he was named started and played 14 games for the Cardinals.  He was pretty average his first season as a starter and Coach Whiz decided he needed a veteran, so they signed Kurt Warner.McCown had a cup of coffee in Detroit where he signed as a free agent but never got a shot at a starting gig and eventually he was traded to Oakland.  McCown started nine games in two seasons with the Raiders, battling injuries and Daunte Culpepper for the starting gig. After Oakland he bounced around a bit with stints in camps for Miami, Carolina and San Fran plus a year in the UFL for the Hartford Colonials.He left the game in August of 2011, believing his run was over but was coaxed out of retirement by Lovie Smith and the Bears after the immortal Caleb Hanie was injured. In his three year career for the Bears as a backup, he's played in 11 games, starting 7 and throwing 15 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, 65% comp pct, 2,243 yds and a QB Rating of 101.After a decade of bouncing around the league, McCown believed he "figured it out" in 2013.  Certainly, the Bucs are hoping better late than never. So again, he's been a starter in this league. He was a high draft pick. He's struggled to no end, there's no denying that but who knows? He says he's figured it out and we know Cook and Reynolds have been ooohing and aaahing at his accuracy during underwear camp. As for your comment about Lovie - that's complete bullspit. I don't believe Coach Tedford would have joined the Bucs' staff if Lovie was going to micromanage him into 3 yards and a cloud of dust. From everything we've heard from the OTA's, some of Tedford's stuff is out-of-the-box innovative and it remains to be seen if it can actually work in the NFL. It doesn't seem like Lovie has limited his creativity at all, in fact it's the opposite. He's been hands off, letting Tedford do his thing.Futher, Lovie recognized the deficiencies on offense and spent an entire draft to help it.  Finally, Marshall, Jeffery and Forte are hardly "light years ahead" of Jackson, Evans and Martin. Martin was one of the top rushers in the league in 2012 - many forget that. Jackson has put up huge numbers his entire career, comparable with either Marshall or Jefferies. It remains to be seen what we have in Evans, but Jeffrey has had one terrible season and one very good season. I don't think he's some gold standard for receivers....yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey, if you want to tie your hopes to a pipe dream, that’s fine with me.  Plus, there’s a flaw with your logic regarding 3 of your 4 QB’s.  Yes, they had a resurgence late in their careers, but they were all starters at some point in their careers prior to their 30’s… let alone being 35!  Garcia was an excellent starter in the CFL.  Brad Johnson was pretty decent (nothing special – but decent), in his late 20’s.  Kurt Warner was 28.  Rich Gannon is your best correlation, so if you want to hang your hat on Tedford being the offensive genius to turn a journeyman 35-year old career backup into an all-star, go ahead… but it’s very unrealistic.  Even Gannon was given a 3-year trial as a starter.  No one ever thought that much of McCown.I'm not saying he is definitely going to stink, I just think the odds point in that direction. The Bears' offense last year was the exact opposite of what Lovie had in the previous year and years prior.  Lovie is likely to instruct Tedford to be fairly conservative early on.  Not to mention that Marshall, Forte, and Jeffery are light years better than Jackson, Martin, and Evans.

This right here is the main reason Glennon wins the battle.  The only thing I disagree with is Marshall, Forte and Jeffrey are not light years ahead of our offensive pieces.  They are better but not by as much as you're saying.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is inaccurate. McCown wasn't Kurt Warner bagging groceries his entire life.  He was drafted in the 3rd round by the Arizona Cardinals. The Cards still had Jake Plummer then and McCown was limited to 10 starts in his first couple seasons. In '04, he was named started and played 14 games for the Cardinals.  He was pretty average his first season as a starter and Coach Whiz decided he needed a veteran, so they signed Kurt Warner.McCown had a cup of coffee in Detroit where he signed as a free agent but never got a shot at a starting gig and eventually he was traded to Oakland.  McCown started nine games in two seasons with the Raiders, battling injuries and Daunte Culpepper for the starting gig. After Oakland he bounced around a bit with stints in camps for Miami, Carolina and San Fran plus a year in the UFL for the Hartford Colonials.He left the game in August of 2011, believing his run was over but was coaxed out of retirement by Lovie Smith and the Bears after the immortal Caleb Hanie was injured. In his three year career for the Bears as a backup, he's played in 11 games, starting 7 and throwing 15 touchdowns, 5 interceptions, 65% comp pct, 2,243 yds and a QB Rating of 101.After a decade of bouncing around the league, McCown believed he "figured it out" in 2013.  Certainly, the Bucs are hoping better late than never. So again, he's been a starter in this league. He was a high draft pick. He's struggled to no end, there's no denying that but who knows? He says he's figured it out and we know Cook and Reynolds have been ooohing and aaahing at his accuracy during underwear camp. As for your comment about Lovie - that's complete bullspit. I don't believe Coach Tedford would have joined the Bucs' staff if Lovie was going to micromanage him into 3 yards and a cloud of dust. From everything we've heard from the OTA's, some of Tedford's stuff is out-of-the-box innovative and it remains to be seen if it can actually work in the NFL. It doesn't seem like Lovie has limited his creativity at all, in fact it's the opposite. He's been hands off, letting Tedford do his thing.Futher, Lovie recognized the deficiencies on offense and spent an entire draft to help it.  Finally, Marshall, Jeffery and Forte are hardly "light years ahead" of Jackson, Evans and Martin. Martin was one of the top rushers in the league in 2012 - many forget that. Jackson has put up huge numbers his entire career, comparable with either Marshall or Jefferies. It remains to be seen what we have in Evans, but Jeffrey has had one terrible season and one very good season. I don't think he's some gold standard for receivers....yet.

I really don't know how you can say: "This is inaccurate", and then over the next 5 paragraphs basically backup everything I said.  If McCown was 28 or 29... heck, even 30, that's fine, but he's not.  HE'S 35!!!  I don't care if Kurt Warner was bagging groceries; the fact is that when he got his chance he was 28, not 35.  Also, the fact that McCown "bounced around" as you said and really only got 1 chance here and there, proves my point that teams never really thought much about him.  Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson both got 3 years, not 1.  Teams who believe in a player don't give them only 1 year.  The teams who signed him thought they'd give him a crack to see what the deal was, and after 1 year, he was gone.Until I see the offense, and the same as you... we can really only speculate what they're really going to do.  I'm basing my speculation off the fact that McCown isn't really a very good QB.  Lovie is the head coach, not just "some guy".  Tedford will listen, as would ANY offensive coordinator, to their head coach.  No, Lovie is not going to run the offense, not at all, but he's going to have input.Dude, come on, Brandon Marshall / Vincent Jackson... seriously?  You're going to sit there and tell me that Jackson's numbers are comparable to Marshall?  Seriously?  With a straight face?  Did you even look at the numbers to at least double check before you typed that?  The two have played the exact same amount of games in their careers and Brandon Marshall has almost 300 more receptions and 1700 more yards.  Yeah, they're close in TD's, but that's the only time you can say they're close.  If each guy does what they have for the next 5 years, Brandon Marshall will be in the Hall of Fame and Vincent Jackson will be known as that WR who had a really good career.  This opinion is completely Tampa-biased.Forte has had a career full of pro-bowl seasons... Doug Martin has had 1.  Forgive me if I'm giving someone with 9,500 career total yards and almost 50 total TD's a little more credit than Doug Martin.  I fully understand that Martin had an awesome rookie season.  I'm very ecstatic about his potential.  But you can't ignore the fact that while he did get hurt last year, in the games he did play, he was "perfectly fine"... not amazing.  Now, is that coaching?  I do believe it was even though it was the same coaching from the year before.  That said, 1 year and 1 injury isn't going to make me forget that Matt Forte's career path, with 6 years - not 1, of data to go off of),  is similar to Marshall's in that they're both Hall of Fame potential.Evans never played a down in his career, much like Jeffery 2 years ago (coincidentally under Lovie).  In Trestman's offense, we saw what Jeffery "can" be.  We don't know anything about Evans.Also, McCown had 2 full years to work with Forte and Marshall and 1 with Jeffery before his more extended time this past year.  He's never worked at all with Jackson, Evans, and Martin.To think McCown is going to come in and do something impressive is a bit of a pipe dream.  Could it happen?  Certainly.  But I wouldn't be banking on it.  Again, all those other QB's mentioned about, outside of Rich Gannon - who is a good comparison - were all 5+ years younger or had success as a starter elsewhere (Garcia in Canada).  The one thing that Gannon had going for him though was that he had Jon Gruden.  There was evidence that Gruden's offense worked in the NFL.  That doesn't exist for Tedford.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really don't know how you can say: "This is inaccurate", and then over the next 5 paragraphs basically backup everything I said.  If McCown was 28 or 29... heck, even 30, that's fine, but he's not.  HE'S 35!!!  I don't care if Kurt Warner was bagging groceries; the fact is that when he got his chance he was 28, not 35.  Also, the fact that McCown "bounced around" as you said and really only got 1 chance here and there, proves my point that teams never really thought much about him.  Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson both got 3 years, not 1.  Teams who believe in a player don't give them only 1 year.  The teams who signed him thought they'd give him a crack to see what the deal was, and after 1 year, he was gone.

The difference is we're not betting on Tim Rattay or someone who has never been good. We're betting on someone who was good seven months ago.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really don't know how you can say: "This is inaccurate", and then over the next 5 paragraphs basically backup everything I said.  If McCown was 28 or 29... heck, even 30, that's fine, but he's not.  HE'S 35!!!  I don't care if Kurt Warner was bagging groceries; the fact is that when he got his chance he was 28, not 35.  Also, the fact that McCown "bounced around" as you said and really only got 1 chance here and there, proves my point that teams never really thought much about him.  Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson both got 3 years, not 1.  Teams who believe in a player don't give them only 1 year.  The teams who signed him thought they'd give him a crack to see what the deal was, and after 1 year, he was gone.

The difference is we're not betting on Tim Rattay or someone who has never been good. We're betting on someone who was good seven months ago.

For 8 games though... when you have 80 over the previous 10 years that tells you more that the last 8 are the fluke, not a resurgance.  Look, if the guy were 28 or maybe even 29, I'd be on board, 30 would be pushing it, but ok.  But come on, a 35 year old?  You guys just aren't being realistic.  Look, I said before, I'll give you Rich Gannon (even though he did get 3 years to start and not 1), but that's like 1 out of how many?  The odd's that McCown is the next Rich Gannon is so infinitesimal.  I think you're hoping for a miracle, that's all.  Hey, I'm not going to stop you.  I'm rooting for it too.  I just think this season is going to start out poorly because of their schedule prior to the bye week and because I think McCown is a mediocre to below average QB.  I think Glennon will be the QB the game after the bye week when the season will essentially be lost.Now, I'm not saying that Lovie will be another Morris or Schiano.  I think they're moving in the right direction.  I just think they're a year away, that's all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah.  Who would have predicted they wouldn't have beat a single team with a winning record.

Yeah,11-5 would have been so much worse than 4-12.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For 8 games though... when you have 80 over the previous 10 years that tells you more that the last 8 are the fluke, not a resurgance.  Look, if the guy were 28 or maybe even 29, I'd be on board, 30 would be pushing it, but ok.  But come on, a 35 year old?  You guys just aren't being realistic.  Look, I said before, I'll give you Rich Gannon (even though he did get 3 years to start and not 1), but that's like 1 out of how many?  The odd's that McCown is the next Rich Gannon is so infinitesimal.  I think you're hoping for a miracle, that's all.  Hey, I'm not going to stop you.  I'm rooting for it too.  I just think this season is going to start out poorly because of their schedule prior to the bye week and because I think McCown is a mediocre to below average QB.  I think Glennon will be the QB the game after the bye week when the season will essentially be lost.Now, I'm not saying that Lovie will be another Morris or Schiano.  I think they're moving in the right direction.  I just think they're a year away, that's all.

I already said there's a 30-40% chance McCown is one of those late bloomers. And I don't necessarily mean MVP-level late bloomer like Gannon or Warner. Just someone who can post a 85-90 passer rating. You seem most hung up on McCown's age, but think about it, how many QB jobs are generally available for a journeyman to win every year? Maybe 2-3? The vast majority of starting QBs are decided before training camp even opens. If you're not in one of those situations and don't have a coach who supports you like Lovie, you have no chance. What would have happened to Kurt Warner if Trent Green didn't get hurt? What would have happened if Matt Leinart was good and didn't need to be replaced?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s impressive that he’s been able to hang around as long as he has and that he’s sustained such a level of mediocrity that he’s never been given a starting nod.  My belief is he’s not a starter and never will be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's impressive that he's been able to hang around as long as he has and that he's sustained such a level of mediocrity that he's never been given a starting nod.  My belief is he's not a starter and never will be.

Whether you like it or not he was a starter last year. Glennon got the same deal essentially. Both QB's were given the starter job after something happened to the original starter. Why do you perpetuate double standards?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's impressive that he's been able to hang around as long as he has and that he's sustained such a level of mediocrity that he's never been given a starting nod.  My belief is he's not a starter and never will be.

Whether you like it or not he was a starter last year. Glennon got the same deal essentially. Both QB's were given the starter job after something happened to the original starter. Why do you perpetuate double standards?

Because one was a rookie that earned the job in the coaches eyes and the other is a lifetime journeyman given the job due to injury. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Because one was a rookie that earned the job in the coaches eyes and the other is a lifetime journeyman given the job due to injury.

Glennon didn't earn shit. It was handed to him on a silver plate just like McCown. You just can't stay objective on stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And now the lifetime journeyman is outplaying the second year player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I already said there's a 30-40% chance McCown is one of those late bloomers. And I don't necessarily mean MVP-level late bloomer like Gannon or Warner. Just someone who can post a 85-90 passer rating. You seem most hung up on McCown's age, but think about it, how many QB jobs are generally available for a journeyman to win every year? Maybe 2-3? The vast majority of starting QBs are decided before training camp even opens. If you're not in one of those situations and don't have a coach who supports you like Lovie, you have no chance.

You don't think there are legitimate reasons for this though?Even if he's {McCown] pretty good, he's still the worst QB in the division and let's be honest about Lovie.  In Chicago, his defenses weren't consistently great.  His rankings (ppg), were 13 (fine), 1 (great), 3 (great), 16 (ok), 16 (ok), 21 (blah), 4 (great), 14 (ok), 3 (great).  So to think that with a "pretty good" QB and "pretty good" defense, you're still looking at an 8 to 9 win season.  That won't be enough to  win the division.  That's also assuming that most things go well, work, and both start at the beginning of the season.  Verner and Johnson very well could make a huge impact.  If they do, then  the defense might pretty really good and borderline great.  We just better hope they start the season off that way.Personally, I think they finish with about 5 to 7 wins.  I think they'll start off 1-5, maybe 2-4 going into the bye week.  I think they'll be better in the 2nd half because I think by default they'll put Glennon in.  Now, do I think Glennon is the answer and the future?  No, not necessarily, but I think he'll be better than McCown.I think they're heading in the right direction and I think that the 2015 season is the one to look towards for winning the division and more.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

From the recent chat, SR answering a question from Duder about the Glennon/McCown competition:"You are correct, Duder. I don't know where some in the media get the notion that Mike Glennon is primed to beat out Josh McCown this year. I could see it happening next year maybe, but I think McCown has a stranglehold on the job right now, and it would take a nosedive for him to lose his grip on the starting spot. McCown has consistently outperformed Glennon in practice this offseason."

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And now the lifetime journeyman is outplaying the second year player.

Has the pre-season started?  The last OTA, Glennon was the far more polished QB. Weird.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

From the recent chat, SR answering a question from Duder about the Glennon/McCown competition:"You are correct, Duder. I don't know where some in the media get the notion that Mike Glennon is primed to beat out Josh McCown this year. I could see it happening next year maybe, but I think McCown has a stranglehold on the job right now, and it would take a nosedive for him to lose his grip on the starting spot. McCown has consistently outperformed Glennon in practice this offseason."

Consider the source.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Consider the source.

lol, yeah but I think this was BEFORE SR was identified as on the McCown/Lovie payroll  ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even if he's {McCown] pretty good, he's still the worst QB in the division and let's be honest about Lovie.  In Chicago, his defenses weren't consistently great.  His rankings (ppg), were 13 (fine), 1 (great), 3 (great), 16 (ok), 16 (ok), 21 (blah), 4 (great), 14 (ok), 3 (great).  So to think that with a "pretty good" QB and "pretty good" defense, you're still looking at an 8 to 9 win season.  That won't be enough to  win the division.  That's also assuming that most things go well, work, and both start at the beginning of the season.  Verner and Johnson very well could make a huge impact.  If they do, then  the defense might pretty really good and borderline great.  We just better hope they start the season off that way.Personally, I think they finish with about 5 to 7 wins.  I think they'll start off 1-5, maybe 2-4 going into the bye week.  I think they'll be better in the 2nd half because I think by default they'll put Glennon in.  Now, do I think Glennon is the answer and the future?  No, not necessarily, but I think he'll be better than McCown.I think they're heading in the right direction and I think that the 2015 season is the one to look towards for winning the division and more.

I don't disagree with much of your overall analysis, but don't think it's a certainty that McCown is #4 and even if he is, it's just by a hair. We know Brees is going to put up better numbers than him, but the Bucs play one good game against him and the Saints every year. It's not at all implausible that we could split with them. Matt Ryan and Cam Newton posted passer ratings between 88-89 last season. The 18th ranked passer in the NFL last season posted a 87 rating, so they both played basically just above average. If McCown is an 85 player, it's well within reason the Bucs could split each of those games, too, provided some other players chip in and make an extra play. As far as Lovie's defenses go, if you coach long enough, you're going to have the good and the bad. Bill Belichick is probably the greatest defensive coach in NFL history and he's had some horrible defenses. If Lovie has players, he can coach them up. We have players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Consider the source.

lol, yeah but I think this was BEFORE SR was identified as on the McCown/Lovie payroll  ::)

But well after he was identified as Anti-Glennon (during the Tampa liberation from Freeman) ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Consider the source.

But well after he was identified as Anti-Glennon (during the Tampa liberation from Freeman) ;)

lol . . . too funny

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All I know is Glennon looked solid in OTAs and better than McCown in the last OTA.  There will be a full blown competition in the pre-season and then a starter will be named.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All I know is Glennon looked solid in OTAs and better than McCown in the last OTA.  There will be a full blown competition in the pre-season and then a starter will be named. . . . and SR is a Glennon-hating liar

FIFYlol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Consider the source.

Yeah. It's someone that actually exists.

Please wait…

Viewing 56 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.