Viewing 61 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers Don’t Need Another Tight EndBy Matt Tidcombe - Apr 7th, 2014 at 11:51 pm te_zpsd97f8bdd.jpg Kim Klement-USA TODAY SportsAt this time of year, with the NFL Draft less than a month away now, mock drafts are flying everywhere. What the Tampa Bay Buccaneers do with their first three picks (7, 33, 69 overall) remains to be seen, but they will be expected to make an immediate impact. They need a receiver. They may go quarterback instead. Perhaps they select a linebacker or an offensive lineman. Another cornerback wouldn’t hurt. But one thing they don’t need to do is draft a tight end as many mock drafts seem to indicate the Bucs doing. Now, a number of these mock drafts don’t have the Bucs selecting a tight end with the seventh overall pick, but a lot of them project the Bucs using their second rounder on one. But, in my mind, it makes no sense to do so. The Bucs have Timothy Wright, who emerged as one of last seasons few success stories during a miserable 4-12 season. Then, in free agency, Jason Licht signed Brandon Myers to a two-year, $4.25 million deal. Both Wright and Myers are playmaking tight ends. They are pass first guys, players who like to make catches rather than block. Wright had 54 catches for 571 yards with five touchdowns last season. Myers had 522 yards on 47 catches along with four touchdowns for the New York Giants. In 2012, he had 79 catches for 806 yards with four touchdowns while playing for the Oakland Raiders. Furthermore, Tom Crabtree is still on the roster and is considered one of the best run blocking tight ends in the league. With that in mind, it doesn’t make sense for the Bucs to draft a tight end, especially when there are other positions of need that must be addressed. There are four players who are expected to be drafted within the first two rounds: Eric Ebron, Jace Amaro, Austin Seferian-Jenkins, and Troy Niklas. Ebron and Amaro are borderline receivers, players who flourish in the passing game. Seferian-Jenkins and Niklas are also receiving first tight ends, but according to scouting reports, appear to be willing run blockers. I’m not opposed to the Bucs drafting a tight end in the later rounds, but to pick one early in the draft would feel like a wasted pick. If Licht hadn’t have signed Myers, I think drafting a tight end within the first three rounds would have been reasonable. However, it doesn’t appear to be a worthwhile pick now. While all four appear to have very good potential, the Bucs already have two players on the roster who are young and have proven they can play at a high level in the NFL. Add in Crabtree’s blocking abilities, and it seems to me that the Bucs tight end situation is set for the 2014 season.http://thepewterplank.com/2014/04/07/tampa-bay-buccaneers-dont-need-another-tight-end/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At this point I’d be surprised if we spent a high pick on a TE. I think they roll with who they have, and revisit the position next season if necessary.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Poison? Gotta love autocorrect.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good catch lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Crabtree is a good blocker? I thought he was a receiving TE.Ebron is a sick athlete but I don't see us being in position to draft him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t like the look of Ebron.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't like the look of Ebron.

me neither.  would prefer a baller.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think C.J. Fiedorowicz is higher on teams boards than most people realize. Would not be surprised at all to see him be the pick in the 2nd (if he makes it by the Falcons, crappy draft slotting system). Evans and Fiedorowicz, along with Jackson, would give McCown guys to throw to who are similar to what he had success with in Chicago. From there add speed and the outside screen game as a nice compliment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We aren’t set….but we will have to get by on what we have. Simply don’t have enough picks to get a TE this year. At least not a top TE. We could still add a late round TE….but unless it’s Colt Lyerla, it won’t likely make a difference.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like how Fiedorowicz looks better that is true.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Brandon Myers and Wright are a nice little combo . We need to focus on making the WR core more dynamic .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Myers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with the others that Fiedorowicz may be over drafted and the Bucs are not looking to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a TE.’I also agree that Wright and Myers are a nice 1-2 punch in the passing game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

TE isn’t a strength but in a league of a few elite TE’s and then a big bag of all the rest I don’t think we are worse than the “average” type of TE so unless we think we can get the Graham, Gronk, Gonzo type guy there isn’t a point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the front office considers the TE spot good for now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yea we’re set enough to be able to skip TE this year if they have to. Wright and Myers may be a pretty good pair as well. Can Meyers block? anyone know if thats a strength, weakness, or average for him? I know he can catch. I had him on me ppr league 2 years ago.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Myers is an average blocker, better than Wright but it isn’t his strength. We’re in good enough shape at TE for now. Id be surprised if we addressed the position in the top 3 rounds.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

who would you rather have:  Jace Amero in the 2nd or  Fiedorowicz in the 3rd?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Meyers (sp) is alright.Wright is alright.None of them are anything more than average tight ends, although Meyers (sp) can have nice games from time to time.  But so can Wright.I suppose we have to rely on one of them having alternating good games.  Pray for no injuries.  LOL.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jace. Stocker scared me away from any slow lumbering TEs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Fiedorowicz is a blocking TE.Stocker was portrayed as a two way TE not the same.Amaro isn't that much of an upgrade over Myers or Wright...pass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

actually their 40 times are basically the same.  Jace is the better receiver and CJ the better blocker but Jace has the size to get better at blocking and CJ is more athletic than you think.  size is close as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

we have two huge needs at WR and RG, then it’s BPA…we need to draft the receiver early (#7 or #38) and for the RG you can still wait the middle of the draft(#69 or #143) to find a good one.imo Wright was essentially a slot receiver and Myers offer no long-term quality and is just average at best... Wright is your Hernandez, you still need your Gronk...if you can trade down (#38) or if a good one (ASJ or Troy Niklas) sleep at #69, taking a TE make sense...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

WR isn’t a huge need for Tedford’s offense IMO.Bucs will run enough 3 WR sets or bunch formations negating the importance of having a top flight #2.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lylerla in the 7th.

Please wait…

• fredreg

Participant

I think we r good at te. myers probly the #1 and crabtree or stockr #2 and I think we got a few more too.  I had wright goin to replace Williams position since both r bout the same height and front office was sayin that they wanted a more dual skill (blockin and receivr) te, that’s y they got myers

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IMO, some of the biggest mistakes of Dominick’s tenure were thinking we were set at TE when we really weren’t. Especially with Atlanta and New Orleans going full out 3-4, TE is more important than ever.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like ASJ….but it’s kinda looking like a dumb pick now. Myers and Wright were a pretty solid combo and Wright was able to repeat his success in his sophmore year. Less targets because of Gronk, but still averaged 10 yards per pass and 6 touchdowns. Meanwhile ASJ was very unimpressive as a rookie. Hope his big ass turns things around next year. He seems like he is one of these guys that need to grow the fuck up and take his craft more seriously. I question his work ethic and dedication. Fingers crossed he gets his shit together in 2015.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still amazes me….Wright great rookie season, yet rookie Qb, working with ONE viable skill player(VJ) is the antichrist. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We need a reliable TE for whatever QB we take.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We had a good one, and very young and cheap, yet, gave him and a draft pick away, for..well, very little, IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m amazed that so many are amazed at Tim wright’s 25 catches this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs should sign Jordan Cameron. His TE coach is here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn’t understand the strategy at TE at the time and I don’t understand it in hindsight.  I was no big fan of Wright, but I didn’t see the reason to use a #2 pick on a guy after picking up Myers in FA.  I mean I could see if he was some special talent that was sliding down the boards and too great a value to pass up, but we had bigger fish to fry IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm amazed that so many are amazed at Tim wright's 25 catches this year.

You do realize that he got traded before the deadline right? Also that he's playing behind possibly the best te in the game and I'm sure the patriots playbook was probably a little bigger and complicated then ours right? How did ass ferian Jenkins do again?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You do realize that he got traded before the deadline right? Also that he's playing behind possibly the best te in the game and I'm sure the patriots playbook was probably a little bigger and complicated then ours right? How did ass ferian Jenkins do again?

so is 25 catches equivalent to how mankins played?  Or is 25 catches equivalent to how ASJ played?You guys want to prop up 26 catches with one of the best offenses and a HOF qb, but are so quick to dismiss 21 catches without an OC or a legitimate qb.Also, wright is playing with gronk, not behind him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn't understand the strategy at TE at the time and I don't understand it in hindsight.  I was no big fan of Wright, but I didn't see the reason to use a #2 pick on a guy after picking up Myers in FA.  I mean I could see if he was some special talent that was sliding down the boards and too great a value to pass up, but we had bigger fish to fry IMO.

I'm in the same boat. I wasn't a huge fan of Wright and I loved ASJ so I wasn't up in arms over the pick....but I didn't think we could afford to draft a TE that high. Too many other needs. That 2nd round pick could have been used much better imo. Hopefully ASJ gets his act together and becomes such a beast that he validates the pick eventually.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is VERY simple….would you rather have a 2015 4th round pick AND Tim Wright…or Logan Mankins?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In retrospect, we shoulda taken an O’lineman instead of a TE. They rated ASJ much higher than most, from what I gather.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

so is 25 catches equivalent to how mankins played?  Or is 25 catches equivalent to how ASJ played?You guys want to prop up 26 catches with one of the best offenses and a HOF qb, but are so quick to dismiss 21 catches without an OC or a legitimate qb.Also, wright is playing with gronk, not behind him.

I think the point isn't that Wright is amazing and we let him go, but rather that he was pretty solid and ASJ hasn't proven to be an upgrade yet....so you can't help but wonder if it was a good strategy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only thing this rehash of this thread did for me is miss the michaelbot dats

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In retrospect, we shoulda taken an O'lineman instead of a TE.

Yep. Or Jimmy Garoppolo and then an OL in the 3rd. This year would have been so much more entertaining if we'd had a Glennon and Garoppolo battling it out for the starter position behind a decent line.....instead we got a boring, embarrassing, ugly season of mostly McCown behind a horrible O-line.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In retrospect, we shoulda taken an O'lineman instead of a TE.

Yep. Or Jimmy Garoppolo and then an OL in the 3rd. This year would have been so much more entertaining if we'd had a Glennon and Garoppolo battling it out for the starter position behind a decent line.....instead we got a boring, embarrassing, ugly season of mostly McCown behind a horrible O-line.

Don't worry. Mariota will have been worth the wait .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he will be, but if Jimmy had been a stud we wouldn’t need him….and if Jimmy struggled, I’d still rather have him as Mariota’s back up over Glennon. Jimmy has a lot of the same characteristics as Mariota minus the elite size/speed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he will be, but if Jimmy had been a stud we wouldn't need him....and if Jimmy struggled, I'd still rather have him as Mariota's back up over Glennon. Jimmy has a lot of the same characteristics as Mariota minus the elite size/speed.

True. But that's water under the bridge now. I'm holding out hope that ASJ will get his fat ass in shape next season and give Mariota a nice threat over the middle and the red zone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ditto. My hope is his foot was what was holding him back this year and not a lack of dedication.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

We need a reliable TE for whatever QB we take.

We need a reliable TE O-line for whatever QB we take.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well I am completely dumbfounded with the decision to draft ASJ.Watched lots of his college plays and found him to be Super Soft. He never once broke a tackle or dragged a defnder down the field. He was the easiest guy to tackle in all of college football. He was also terrible at inline blocking.I was not a bit surprised that he lacked toughness and was completely ineffective blocking inline.ASJ needs to grow a pair. He is a big puss.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Still, what a break for the young man. He goes from the worst team in the league, draft wise. To a team, a couple games away from the Super Bowl. Dude must be living right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m amazed this thread was dug up from April 2014. For a second I thought this was recent.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems to me they had him as BPA and envision him as a Gronk/Graham type. Big size and speed. I still have hope for ASJ. I think his injuries really set him back. He has a competitive attitude that I like. He had a couple drops and bad breaks this year. It will be interesting to see what kind of shape he shows up in next year. He's going to be handed the starting job. He needs to be ready.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/anthony-barr-forces-fumble-recovers-and-scores-against-tampa-bay-in-ot-b.gif?w=1000

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Myers + ASJ will be fine moving forward.  The opportunity cost is obvious in that with Wright you had a guy that could produce decent results on the cheap while ASJ seems to be destined for the same career trajectory but the price was a high 2nd rounder.  A 2nd rounder that high could have been used on a paas rusher, CB or OT, all premium positions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The opportunity cost is obvious in that with Wright you had a guy that could produce decent results on the cheap while ASJ seems to be destined for the same career trajectory but the price was a high 2nd rounder. 

isnt ASJ projected by most to be a much better blocker?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn't understand the strategy at TE at the time and I don't understand it in hindsight.  I was no big fan of Wright, but I didn't see the reason to use a #2 pick on a guy after picking up Myers in FA.  I mean I could see if he was some special talent that was sliding down the boards and too great a value to pass up, but we had bigger fish to fry IMO.

Agree completely. Throw in that he seems to be fat, lazy and injury prone and that was a wasted pick.

Please wait…

• billym

Participant

Agree completely. Throw in that he seems to be fat, lazy and injury prone and that was a wasted pick.

While I tend to agree, lets give him a shot next season, hopefully he surprises us all with a great season. Too early to write him off.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well I am completely dumbfounded with the decision to draft ASJ.Watched lots of his college plays and found him to be Super Soft. He never once broke a tackle or dragged a defnder down the field. He was the easiest guy to tackle in all of college football. He was also terrible at inline blocking.I was not a bit surprised that he lacked toughness and was completely ineffective blocking inline.ASJ needs to grow a pair. He is a big puss.

+1 lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ is a little awkward, and always seems to land strangely when hit, but to say he is not physical at all is incorrect. The guy played some D Line in college and looked decent, you have to have some physicality to you for that. As a blocker, he had some good tape and bad tape (particularly the LSU game) coming out of college but there is some ability and promise there. I think that given a healthy offseason to train and get the speed back he had his sophomore year, ASJ can be a real player for us next year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I still think he has everything physically to be great, but you have to want it more than the anyone else and I’m not sure he has that drive. We’ll see in 2015. If he is overweight and unimpressive again, then there is no reason to continue down that road. Hopefully he comes to camp with the physique and focus of a machine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We all see former buccaneer players providing valuable skills for other teams.  Perhaps some better coaching is in order?  Just a musing as I celebrate the end of yet another buccaneer season. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We all see former buccaneer players providing valuable skills for other teams.  Perhaps some better coaching is in order?  Just a musing as I celebrate the end of yet another buccaneer season.

not really arguing your point, I’m sure coaching and schemes can be upgraded.But whose reports are you trusting?some say zuttah was great last night, some say awful.  Some drool over wrights 25 catches this year.  Some say we should have drafted gabe jackson and kept penn, yet the Oakland line under sparano wasn't great, was it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was just watching some of those bucs play – and listening to those announcing the games.  About Zuttah - he sucked eggs.  I watched him bc I had been told he was playing well - but a person who clearly watched other games than I did.  I spent no time watching the Faders- so can't comment either way.  And I have been po'ed about Bennett since he went to the Seahawks.. I understand noone is always right - but I am hoping the buccaneers front office and coaching staff can improve greatly this off season.I suspect coaching issues are challenging at OBP - here's hoping upgrades to that group are taking place as we speak, and a quick prayer that the upgrades immediately improve this team.  And I am just musing GT... no real thought process beyond being happy the 2014 season is OVER... 

Please wait…

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.