Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• MarineBuc

Participant

Bleacher Report as a source…BLAHBut the article does bring up some very valid points for a player that, some less than educated football fans, think is the best DL in the league...

The Lions are exploring trading standoung defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, according to Bleacher Report.Suh hasn't attended the start of Detroit's voluntary offseason workouts, he'll make a base salary of $12.55 million this season (and will count $22.4 million against the 2014 salary cap) and because he's considered a team leader (as well as one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL), this has struck some in the organization as disappointing.Or, at least, a little bit curious, especially as the team tries to get integrated with a new coaching staff.CBSSports.com NFL Insider Pat Kirwan explored the idea of trading Suh a few months ago -- Kirwan concluded that it might be a good idea -- and now, Detroit reportedly is talking to teams about doing exactly that.As Mike Freeman writes, the discussions are preliminary and not necessarily serious. They're more due diligence than anything else and in Freeman's words the Lions are "covering their asses."CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, though, says a Lions official told him that the team is "uneqivocally" not trading Suh and that there have been no trade discussions. But the idea that these chats are happening -- or that somebody somewhere wants us to think these chats are happening -- shows that Detroit isn't completely sure that Suh is in its future plans."What the Lions are doing is standard operating procedure," one team executive told Freeman. "Just in case they don't think they can sign him, they're preparing for worst case. It's smart."Signing him won't be cheap, and it might not be easy either.As former NFL agent Joel Corry writes, a franchise tag for Suh in 2015 would cost about $26.87 million, and that gives Suh plenty of leverage to land a friendly long-term extension with Detroit if the Lions want to keep him.If not, they'd be letting go of a high-impact player when he's in his prime (Suh turned 27 in January).That's why a trade, if it can find one, might be the best option for Detroit and its salary cap situation. Especially since, as Freeman writes, the team is still worried about Suh's on-field self-control.But more than that, it's telling that Suh has decided not to show up with his teammates for offseason workouts.More from Freeman:"Suh is a captain beginning with a new coaching staff. This would have been the perfect time to make a positive impression on his new bosses. Instead, he decided to stay home. It's irrelevant that he could still show up to mini-camp or training camp in shape. It's more about leadership. He's a captain, and captains are usually the men who set the examples."Whether Suh can be a leader who ultimately gets a huge payday with his current team remains to be seen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess thats that for the suh vs mccoy debate….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bleacher Report as a source...BLAHBut the article does bring up some very valid points for a player that, some less than educated football fans, think is the best DL in the league...

If he isn't the best, he is definitely top shelf...the Lions would total idiots not to resign this guy..."Mr. Mayhew...The Broncos are on line 4"...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bleacher Report as a source...BLAHBut the article does bring up some very valid points for a player that, some less than educated football fans, think is the best DL in the league...

If he isn't the best, he is definitely top shelf...the Lions would total idiots not to resign this guy..."Mr. Mayhew...The Broncos are on line 4"...

No doubt he is top shelf...and I seriously doubt the Lions trade him...unless someone blows them away with an offer...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tampa is the only franchise that would consider doing something so absurd.  I dont believe it for one second.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

Tampa is the only franchise that would consider doing something so absurd.  I dont believe it for one second.

yeah could you imagine that though.  By the way did you happen to see McCoy, Suh, Watt, and Hardy on the same line during the pro bowl, nutts!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Untradeable with that contract. Could care less. We have the best DT in the league already on our roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They will want a kings ransom in picks for him. Plus, he will want a king’s ransom in a contract. Not sure he is worth it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They will want a kings ransom in picks for him. Plus, he will want a king's ransom in a contract. Not sure he is worth it.

He's not

Please wait…

• martin Zumpft

Participant

I sincerely doubt Suh is going anywhere, especially not for less than 2 1st round picks or some such craziness.I'd still love to see him teamed with McCoy. But the money and picks required wouldn't make it feasible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They will want a kings ransom in picks for him. Plus, he will want a king's ransom in a contract. Not sure he is worth it.

Sounds like a deal Dominik would go after if he were still a G.M.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Going to be impossible to re-sign. Bucs are going to be in a similar predicament with McCoy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Going to be impossible to re-sign. Bucs are going to be in a similar predicament with McCoy.

might as well draft donald in this case.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

might as well draft donald in this case.

Yeah. Starting to warm to Donald.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he isn't the best, he is definitely top shelf...the Lions would total idiots not to resign this guy...

I disagree. Suh is a 2 gap NT. Fairley has outplayed him since day one. He has very little value IMO. He is overrated at a position of little value. Thank God we got McCoy instead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Suh isnt even a top 5 DT. Thank god he was gone when we picked….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Lions are shopping Suh for the same reasons the Jets were shopping Revis.  They won’t be able to keep him and are trying to get something in return.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he isn't the best, he is definitely top shelf...the Lions would total idiots not to resign this guy...

I disagree. Suh is a 2 gap NT. Fairley has outplayed him since day one. He has very little value IMO. He is overrated at a position of little value. Thank God we got McCoy instead.

Bottom line Suh is top shelf and Fairley is fighting to keep him job from C.J. Mosely the backup tackle...You are wrong...Suh is a 3 Technique guy...Fairley is the 2-Gap guy...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Suh isnt even a top 5 DT. Thank god he was gone when we picked....

what are you smoking?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Getting a king’s ransom while NOT being a very good leader, and wanting an even BIGGER contract? I completely understand the new staff being concerned…

Please wait…

• martin Zumpft

Participant

A lot of Buc fans seem to think they need to trash Suh to make McCoy look better. Also his dirty play on the field, and off-the-field incidents make people question a lot of things about him. But don’t get it twisted….Suh is Top 5 and probably Top 3 at his position in the league. He’d be awesome to have to team up with McCoy. But there is really zero chance of it happening.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah Suh sucks. he has been playing 4 seasons and has been voted all pro 3 times and 2nd team all pro once. ALL PRO, not pro bowl.  How many times has Mccoy made all pro?  I will give you a hint…  Its less then two but more then zero.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah Suh sucks. he has been playing 4 seasons and has been voted all pro 3 times and 2nd team all pro once. ALL PRO, not pro bowl.  How many times has Mccoy made all pro?  I will give you a hint...  Its less then two but more then zero.

Well I don't think any one is suggesting that Suh "sucks". His accolades are very respectable and he's had a fabulous start to his pro career, but its tough to argue that his play in 2013 warrants him being recognized as a "top 3 or top 5" DT. Plyr -- Tckls -- Sacks -- FF Geno Atkins -- 20 -- 6 -- 0  i]out with injury mid-season[/iChris Jones  -- 54 -- 6 -- 0 Lammar Houston -- 69 -- 6 -- 2 Nick Fairley -- 35 -- 6 -- 1 Marcel Dareus -- 71 -- 7.5 -- 1 Gerald McCoy -- 50 -- 9.5 -- 0Kyle Williams -- 68 -- 10 -- 1 Jurrell Casey -- 55 -- 10.5 -- 1 Ndamukong Suh -- 49 -- 5.5 -- 1Suh's production in 2013 is more similar to that of Corey Peters, Clinton McDonald, and Kendall Langford.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d trade a 2nd for suh  and get him n Gerald to agree to the exact same contract maybe we win a few championships that would be 3 studs in McCoy David n suh Verner Barron  Idk I’d just like the bucs to be loaded

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not debating the cost issue as I think that is too much spent on the DT positions – but damn that would be fun to watch…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah Suh sucks. he has been playing 4 seasons and has been voted all pro 3 times and 2nd team all pro once. ALL PRO, not pro bowl.  How many times has Mccoy made all pro?  I will give you a hint...  Its less then two but more then zero.

Well I don't think any one is suggesting that Suh "sucks". His accolades are very respectable and he's had a fabulous start to his pro career, but its tough to argue that his play in 2013 warrants him being recognized as a "top 3 or top 5" DT. Plyr -- Tckls -- Sacks -- FF Geno Atkins -- 20 -- 6 -- 0  i]out with injury mid-season[/iChris Jones  -- 54 -- 6 -- 0 Lammar Houston -- 69 -- 6 -- 2 Nick Fairley -- 35 -- 6 -- 1 Marcel Dareus -- 71 -- 7.5 -- 1 Gerald McCoy -- 50 -- 9.5 -- 0Kyle Williams -- 68 -- 10 -- 1 Jurrell Casey -- 55 -- 10.5 -- 1 Ndamukong Suh -- 49 -- 5.5 -- 1Suh's production in 2013 is more similar to that of Corey Peters, Clinton McDonald, and Kendall Langford.

All-Pro TeamsYear Team Level Voters2010 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press2010 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers2010 1st Team All-NFL Sporting News2011 1st Team All-NFL Sporting News2012 2nd Team All-NFL Associated Press2013 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press2010 NFL AP Defensive Rookie of the YearMcCoy, Atkins, and Suh are the top tier DTs in the league...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Suh was not a top 5 DT in 2013. Period.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Suh was not a top 5 DT in 2013. Period.

In my opinion, Suh is greatly over rated.  the reputation and accolades far exceed the actual game film.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Swap 1st rounders and give us Suh and the Bucs will call it even. Put Suh and McCoy next each other would be fun to watch.  Just Kidding of course.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All-Pro TeamsYear Team Level Voters2010 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press2010 1st Team All-NFL Pro Football Writers2010 1st Team All-NFL Sporting News2011 1st Team All-NFL Sporting News2012 2nd Team All-NFL Associated Press2013 1st Team All-NFL Associated Press2010 NFL AP Defensive Rookie of the YearMcCoy, Atkins, and Suh are the top tier DTs in the league...

Nice Stuff BOD, that stat line is looking pretty weak for a guy who some of you perceive as being in the NFL's upper echelon of DTs.How the guy was voted 1st Team All-NFL  by the AP is beyond me. Dude was little more than a walking temper tantrum this past season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They can shop him all they want. Who is going to trade for a major league pain in the azz who will want megabucks? Not denying the talent, but I don’t see the Lions phone ringing off the hook with interested parties.

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.