Are we worse now?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ramonb
    Participant

I’m sitting here trying to figure out how we compare to last year. Are we worse than last year? I feel like we’ve made some strides regarding our Dline, we are better against the run, and our run game is more consistent. But so far I feel like we are overall worse. Our offense just doesn’t seem to have any identity at all. Aside from one half of football, vs a terrible Giants team, we have not been able to find any rhythm. We look disorganized out there. Our secondary still can’t defend…I dunno, I’m just throwing out ideas. So far it just doesn’t seem like we are any better than last year, and maybe worse. Would having Lefty give up play calling help? As far as Winston, man…I’m just not sure. Lombardi said “Either they make a big play, or they don’t make any plays at all.” Our offense, primarily our passing game, absolutely evaporates for stretches at a time, seems like, every game.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

buccnation
    Participant

I would rather Arians call the plays but I think we are definitely better. We just need to be consistent.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Nobody
    Participant

Who the hell knows, to be honest.

Are we more enjoyable/less frustrating to watch?

I’m a defensive guy. I like watching aggressive defense that rallies to the football, Tackles well, and makes plays on the ball. So for 10 quarters of football I’ve enjoyed watching this defense.

For 2 quarters I hated it.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Pennywise
    Participant

I the team will come together, just might take half a season or more ,at which point Bucs will be out of contention….but who really thought this was a playoff team?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    bill_kir
    Participant

I think the Bucs are much better this year than last. Last year i would go into every game knowing the Bucs were going to lose, it was just how badly. At least this year, so far, the Bucs are a somewhat competent NFL caliber team, you really couldn’t say that last year. While they are 1-2, they were in the 2 games that they lost and could have easily won both games with a break here or there. I think they will continue to get better and if they win a couple in a row, confidence could go a long way

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BucBalla85
    Participant

I think that is a frustrating thing because its still unanswered for me. For me, I wasnt expecting playoffs or anything substantial this season. However, I am expecting this team to take a step forward that we havent seen in a while. Give me some REAL confidence going forward with this team. Not some dumb upset late in the year that you point to and say “this team is going in the right direction.” Like every god damn year since we last made the playoffs. Im over the losses already this year. Just improve the team and make me feel better about this team going forward. Playoffs would be wonderful but Im not holding my breath for that.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Mrshowstopper
    Participant

We’ll know by week 10 if the light comes on. Dungy’s first season wasn’t a barn burner, but the last 5 games gave them something to build on

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BucBalla85
    Participant

We’ll know by week 10 if the light comes on. Dungy’s first season wasn’t a barn burner, but the last 5 games gave them something to build on

I think the current staff CAN be better than our recent past regimes but thats not really too big of a challenge. If we get a transformation like we saw with Dungy then I think everybody will be pleased. Long way to go though.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    xbucsx_4_xevax
    Participant

Watching the “fucking NFL rewind” the Bucs v Giants on NFL Network is making me as sick as it did on Sunday and being a bucs fan all my life has taken its toll… with that said I’m not looking for any sympathy but good god when in the blue hell is this team gonna turn it around… like ive said many times in the past few weeks, I’ve been a Winston supporter but I’m just not sure any more… I see guys like Mahomes, Watson, Wentz, Murray etc. Guys that are a threat to run and pick up 1st downs by feet yet Winston doesn’t take what the defense gives him and therefore getting him in trouble.. watching the rewind I see he’s missed a ton of open WRs and solely eying Evans almost every play… use your weapons in God-win and Howard… hell RoJo showed us he can catch screens and take it the distance…I’m sooo fucking confused with this team and it’s not getting any clearer… sorry for venting yet again, I’m just a hurt sole

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Crazyhorse54
    Participant

After Sunday’s slaughter in LA you will have no doubt that this bunch is much worse than most past teams.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

5-11 either way. Bucs got this losing down to a science. Bad kicking, spazzy QB, poor game management by coaching,unreliable D. Same shit, different season.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

After Sunday’s slaughter in LA you will have no doubt that this bunch is much worse than most past teams.

Restock the beers in the fridge, boys……you’re gonna need them to watch the game vs LA.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Darktanian
    Participant

The run defense is #1 at stopping the run.

The secondary is pretty good at stopping the pass……..in the first half.

Play calling is the weakest link. The Bucs O and D can play lights out the first half, but then goes catatonic the second half.

The problem is either 1)the coaching staff’s philosophy, or 2)the conditioning of the team is really bad.

Kinda like using a narcoleptic to be the team captain on your math team, or using a chronic smoker to anchor your team in a relay race.

All I seen last week was excellence that turned into incompetence. It’s one of the two reasons, and I’m going to go with 1)the coaching staff as the culprit.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    TampaBayBucs55
    Participant

We are just a few plays away from beating the undefeated 49ers (final score is misleading, if you watched the game, you know that) and another 6 inches (missed FG v NYG) from being undefeated. I know, we are also just a yard and a half from being winless, but I think that’s the point. The difference is that we are playing close games and remaining competitive. If we can continue to STAY competitive, things will eventually fall our way and we’ll win some close games that maybe we shouldn’t have won or no one saw us winning.

If you think back, it just wasn’t the same last year, or the year before that, or even the year before that (sans that fluky 5 week win streak in 2016). It wasn’t like that in 2015, 2014, or 2013, either. I can recall multiple games that were out of hand before the fourth quarter in the years under Koetter. Here are a few examples:

Week 4 in Chicago (2018)

Week 8 in Cincinnati (2018)

Week 9 in Carolina (2018)

Week 3 at Minnesota (2017)

Week 6 at Arizona (2017)

Week 9 at New Orleans (2017)

Week 2 in Arizona (2016)

Week 4 vs Denver (2016)

Week 9 vs Atlanta (2016)

I’d say this team is slightly improved based on what we’ve seen so far. Now, we could get curb stomped in LA and I’m sure this thread will then get bumped. But this team has a stingy run defense (#1 overall after playing some of the best backs in the NFL) and Jameis looked like he was starting to hit a grove last week. I think we’ll be able to contain Gurley and Goff is having just an ok season this year, looking at his stats.

The question is will the Rams defense be able to cool Jameis off after his hot weekend last week? They are pretty good, so probably, but if Jameis makes some big plays and keeps it competitive, we have a chance. I don’t think New Orleans or Carolina will dominate us the following two weeks, so if we can at least keep it competitive in LA, we would likely make it all the way to week 8 without a blowout loss. That’s an improvement compared to previous years under Koetter.

That said, it’s a sad state of affairs when you are using a twice 5-11 team as a measuring stick. And just to be clear, I am getting just as sick of this garbage as the rest of you. I am frustrated. I am sick of watching us lose games we should easily win. I am sick of watching us choke away double digit leads. I am sick of watching Jameis hesitate. I am sick of watching our pass defense break records of ineptitiude. I am sick of watching us make rookie and backup QBs look like Tom Brady. I am sick of watching Demar Dotson and Donovan Smith play football. I am sick of watching us commit false starts. I am sick of the shitty clock management. I am sick of the in game play calling/coaching decisions that defy any logic whatsoever. But I think we have been just a LIIIIIIIIIITLE bit better than Koetter & Co.

(Sorry for the novel)

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Check back in a month and a half. We may very well not win a game in that span, or we could win 2-3 and be a pretty interesting football team. It’s way way way too early to know if this team is better or worse.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.