Viewing 33 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Bucs’ Martin plans to regain rookie formnewdoug_zps694271ed.pngThird-year back Doug Martin is looking forward to seeing what his role will be in coordinator Jeff Tedford’s offense. JAY CONNER/STAFF By Ira Kaufman | Tribune Staff Published:  June 12, 2014 at 12:20 AMTAMPA — Get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged.That’s the 2014 mantra for Buccaneers running back Doug Martin, who experienced both insult and injury last year as he attempted a successful follow-up to a spectacular rookie season.Now, the former first-round pick out of Boise State finds himself fending off questions about his role with Tampa Bay under new coach Lovie Smith and first-year offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford, who suggests Martin will receive fewer touches this fall.“We don’t like to mention or even think about last year,’’ said Martin, who made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. “Nothing went our way last year. We had a quarterback change and they stacked the box, so of course it was tough to get through the line.’’Martin started off slowly last September — and then it got worse.During an Oct. 20 loss at Atlanta that dropped the Bucs to 0-6, Martin suffered a torn labrum in his shoulder while trying to catch a long pass from Mike Glennon.“Getting hurt was catastrophic for me because I’d never been injured,’’ said Martin, who finished third in the league in total yards from scrimmage in 2012.“Entering the league as a rookie, I was told many times about what could happen in the pros. At the rookie symposium, they said ‘when you get injured,’ not ‘if you get injured.’ At first, I thought I could shrug it off, but I had to let the shoulder heal and my range of motion is fully back now. Doctors say I’m good to go.’’So does Smith, who scoffed at any conjecture he has lost faith in Martin’s ability to be Tampa Bay’s lead back.“Doug’s a good football player, and he knows that,’’ Smith said at the start of Tampa Bay’s mandatory three-day minicamp, which concludes today. “You don’t see Doug complaining. He knows what our plans are for him.’’When the Bucs drafted Charles Sims in the third round last month, a deep backfield that includes Mike James and Bobby Rainey became even deeper.Sims displayed good hands at West Virginia, and he could emerge as Tedford’s favorite third-down option in the backfield, but Martin wants this coaching staff to remember he caught 49 passes as a rookie.“I love coach Tedford, and I can’t wait to put this offense to work,’’ Martin said. “I’m getting into this playbook big-time. He uses everybody, and I know that to be a complete back I have to catch the ball and pass-block well.“My rookie season was a great year for me personally, but I just have to let that go. I have to keep pushing to get back to those 250-yard, four-touchdown games.’’When the Bucs were rolling in the middle of the 2012 season, averaging 34 points while going 5-1, Martin was the unquestioned catalyst. In those six games, he averaged 7.1 yards per carry and added 19 receptions for an additional 266 yards, accounting for seven touchdowns.Despite a poor December, Tampa Bay set a franchise record by finishing ninth in the NFL in total offense and Martin came to camp determined to prove he was no one-year wonder. But frustration seeped in last September, when Martin averaged only 3.4 yards per carry behind a line that displayed little physicality.“You have to keep pushing, keep plowing away, and hopefully holes will open up,’’ he said. “Some did, and some didn’t. I’m real anxious to go out and play the way I did my first year.’’At 25, Martin already pines for the days of old.He wasn’t drafted by Tampa Bay’s new regime, and the Bucs plan on turning to more of a running back-by-committee approach as they attempt to end a six-year playoff drought.“Everywhere I’ve ever been, if you look at my history, we’ve played more than one running back,’’ Smith said. “(With the Bears, we) had a great running back in Thomas Jones and we drafted Cedric Benson and played them both. One running back just can’t make it through the season.’’ On July 25, when the Bucs stage their first practice of training camp, no player will approach the new season with more sense of purpose than Martin.“Coach Smith does a good job of believing we’re going to the Super Bowl, and the attitude around here is awesome,’’ Martin said. “I want to show everybody that I’m still that guy.’’ ikaufman@tampatrib.com(813) 259-7833Twitter: @IKaufmanTBO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love his attitude. I’m excited that he isn’t going to be beaten to a pulp by midseason because of a ridiculous amount of carries. He’s also going to have to work extra hard to stave off the competition, which should make him even better.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Lest we forget, back then in his rookie season, every defensive player who he ran around, said “who is that”?  That was literally the talk.  Nobody game planned around him his first season. Things are not only different now, they are VERY different.Love the guy, but I see a very marginal career ahead of him.At least we can visit the HOF to visit Cadillac Williams' shoes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lest we forget, back then in his rookie season, every defensive player who he ran around, said "who is that"?  That was literally the talk.  Nobody game planned around him his first season. Things are not only different now, they are VERY different.

Just so i'm clear.....because they didn't know his name, they didn't try as hard to tackle him?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doug was a 1st round pick, he wasn’t exactly under the radar.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lest we forget, back then in his rookie season, every defensive player who he ran around, said "who is that"?  That was literally the talk.  Nobody game planned around him his first season. Things are not only different now, they are VERY different.

Just so i'm clear.....because they didn't know his name, they didn't try as hard to tackle him?

Right so teams ignored the fact that he was given the ball 25 times a game and was the center of our offense from day 1. You don't get game planed for until you become a pro bowl player. Opposing teams fans may not have known Doug but DC knew he needed to be stopped first as our offense starts with the run two years ago. A year of tape shows a players weaknesses and defenses can try to force you to do what you're not very good at.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Were you three even Bucs fans then?  I’m stunned you’re all so clueless."Dang..who is this new guy?"  NO..they did not plan for him...and they admit they were not ready for him his rookie year. He shocked most defenses.http://www.nflrush.com/story/top-100-players-of-2013-doug-martin

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clueless? Don’t be a stooge. Just because someone just got their butts kicked and exclaims “man, who IS this guy?!?” doesn’t mean they didn’t know who he was. He was a stud in college football and he was taken in the first round. These players and coaches with all their film and scouting know EXACTLY who they’re going up against. Maybe Alfred Morris caught people off guard because of his draft status but with Martin being the focal point of our offense immediately, teams knew he was coming.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Clueless? Don't be a stooge. Just because someone just got their butts kicked and exclaims "man, who IS this guy?!?" doesn't mean they didn't know who he was. He was a stud in college football and he was taken in the first round. These players and coaches with all their film and scouting know EXACTLY who they're going up against. Maybe Alfred Morris caught people off guard because of his draft status but with Martin being the focal point of our offense immediately, teams knew he was coming.

if you watched the vid, you should realize how moronic your choice in continuing this debate is for you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right so teams ignored the fact that he was given the ball 25 times a game and was the center of our offense from day 1. You don't get game planed for until you become a pro bowl player. Opposing teams fans may not have known Doug but DC knew he needed to be stopped first as our offense starts with the run two years ago. A year of tape shows a players weaknesses and defenses can try to force you to do what you're not very good at.

you're scary.....so if you are not a Pro Bowler teams don't game plan for you...epic...truly epic

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s simply a matter of how you read into what they said. If you really believe they didn’t know who he was then I think you’re vastly underestimating the preparation these teams/players put in.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

It's simply a matter of how you read into what they said. If you really believe they didn't know who he was then I think you're vastly underestimating the preparation these teams/players put in.

actually, It's simply a matter of how you and your buds read into what I said.  although I think the three of you were feigning outrage.seriously.  stop.  it's embarrassing at this point.  Take the punch, get some air, and move on.  you and your pals over-shot the entire thing, went all drama, and got called out hard.  today the education is free.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really? It’s fools like you that see ANY disagreement as a reason to go on attack and begin spewing insults like a child that make this board and the itnernet a pain in the @ss for the rest of us. If you reread you’ll see I simply stated an opinion, you’re the uneducated prideful fool that saw that as an attack worthy of an insult. Crawl back into your hole or try to treat your fellow fans with respect.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t care what anyone else said, but I take exception with being insulted for pointing out that players know/should know who their first round opponents are.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I don't care what anyone else said, but I take exception with being insulted for pointing out that players know/should know who their first round opponents are.

someone needs a hug.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nah, I’m good. Simply pointing out I didn’t go on the attack…

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Nah, I'm good. Simply pointing out I didn't go on the attack...

I think that was already evident.Listen, I see your name is sean, so if you're a chick, I'm sorry.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lest we forget, back then in his rookie season, every defensive player who he ran around, said "who is that"?  That was literally the talk.  Nobody game planned around him his first season. Things are not only different now, they are VERY different.Love the guy, but I see a very marginal career ahead of him.At least we can visit the HOF to visit Cadillac Williams' shoes.

Don't agree.  He was a high profile 1st rounder and clearly everyone knew who he was.  What they didn't know while he blew past them was how good he was. So teams did game plan to stuff Martin and put it on Freeman's arm to beat them.It will be much more difficult to key on DMart this season with Tedford  both mixing things up and having more weapons to spread the ball around. I see him having a very good year.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I hope he does well.  I’m just not feeling he’ll be nearly as amazing anymore.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nah, I'm good. Simply pointing out I didn't go on the attack...

Dude, it's just Java. Ignore his pettiness. You didn't do anything wrong, he's just got over active hemorrhoids or something.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Yet another person thinks I am/was someone here called java. The first week I was here it was someone else.  My IP happily pings from beautiful Palm Harbor Florida, and it’s static, so it never changes.  The Mod can feel free to authenticate my location, and end the java stuff.  It really is weak and getting old, and rather lazy and submissive of you to think that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I never thought you were javayou started off alright here, I actually enjoyed many of your posts early onbut you've kind of turned into a d!ck recently

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I never thought you were javayou started off alright here, I actually enjoyed many of your posts early onbut you've kind of turned into a d!ck recently

Java is as Java do

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Thank you for noticingIt's standard stuff.  new guy comes to the board.  A handful of the regulars (5 or 6) test the waters.  I hit back.  The start to feel threatened about their board cred.  They hit back.  Then it dies down.  The "you are java" thing is something they do when they have nothing else, and are rolling over and being submissive.  I take it as a good thing.  Some will simply have to take a seat at the kids table now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In defense of the red board pretty much everyone on here is pretty chill, so whenever we have a butthole the name “java” gets thrown around fairly often. Though, he’s pretty obvious when it’s him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thank you for noticingIt's standard stuff.  new guy comes to the board.  A handful of the regulars (5 or 6) test the waters.  I hit back.  The start to feel threatened about their board cred.  They hit back.  Then it dies down.  The "you are java" thing is something they do when they have nothing else, and are rolling over and being submissive.  I take it as a good thing.  Some will simply have to take a seat at the kids table now.

Or maybe most of us are here to talk about football and don't care about "board cred". You act like an asshole then play the victim card when you're called out and accuse everyone of being submissive because they don't respond to your childish tactics. Try behaving like an adult and you might find you get better responses.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Musical theatre of the absurd.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

the kids are distressed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yet another person thinks I am/was someone here called java. The first week I was here it was someone else.  My IP happily pings from beautiful Palm Harbor Florida, and it's static, so it never changes.  The Mod can feel free to authenticate my location, and end the java stuff.  It really is weak and getting old, and rather lazy and submissive of you to think that.

On this, i agree. Java is waaaay more clever.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

There she is, I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

Please wait…

• lynnst

Participant

With the weapons other team’s will have to worry about I expect Martin to surpass his rookie year. Maybe not yards gained but all around dominate. Looking forward to seeing him holding it tight again.  I know, under 10 post…prob Java

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There she is, I was wondering when you were going to chime in.

sensitive much?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yet another person thinks I am/was someone here called java. The first week I was here it was someone else.  My IP happily pings from beautiful Palm Harbor Florida, and it's static, so it never changes.  The Mod can feel free to authenticate my location, and end the java stuff.  It really is weak and getting old, and rather lazy and submissive of you to think that.

Raised off Curlew Rd.  Love that place.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m going to just choose to ignore the bs surrounding the rb position for now.Martin will be the "headline" back (not the same as the "workhorse" or "cowbell" back). Sims will most likely be used in blocking situations, third or fourth down, and goaline. Lovie saw the days of alstott and dunn, so maybe he would like to recreate it. I see no reason for lovie to just up and replace martin, even if he's not lovie's guy, nor the "perfect fit." He'll get a chance, at least for the first part of the season regardless.By then, we may all be saying, "put sims, rainey, or james in." Or, we might be saying, "he's a baller, told ya."

Please wait…

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.