Viewing 109 reply threads

• Author

• dotASC

Participant

Didn’t see a thread dedicated to this guy and that kind of surprised me, even though there has been some good analysis of him in the other, broader draft threads.I haven't been involved in following football since the season ended, so being introduced to this guy through the draft has been a pleasant surprise.From the game tapes I've watched (briefly) I'm immediately impressed with this guy's blocking and presence. He passes the "eye test" with flying colors. He gets clean, solid, disruptive blocks. It's refreshing to see after our previous few years of sub-par line work. Refreshing, hell, exciting. Frankly, I'm not too fond of having a tight end being the primary offensive weapon. I think L&L drafted wisely here in acquiring a TE who appears to be above average in many dimensions as opposed to dominating in one. I'd go so far as to say they approached their other marquise picks this draft in the same way. It's a reason that, although I'm slightly confused on the Sims pick, I think I see their reasoning behind it. Another well-rounded weapon. Put all these well-rounded weapons together, and hopefully we have a very exciting, versatile offense to meet a variety of oppositional challenges.I'm optimistic to see how this ends up playing out.And I'm going on the record supporting the ASJ pick, even more than Evans or the others. I think ASJ, barring injury, will be an above average to elite player for years to come.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Best TE in the draft. Not many 265 lb guys can line up outside in the NFL. ASJ can, but can also play in line and help in run blocking and protection.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

I don’t see how just about everyone is not excited about this pick.  For years we were crying about “where is our gronk or jimmy graham”, people we have our guy now, its our turn!!!!!  This guy could be even better than those dudes also.  Im so very excited about this pick!!!!!!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't see how just about everyone is not excited about this pick.  For years we were crying about "where is our gronk or jimmy graham", people we have our guy now, its our turn!!!!!  This guy could be even better than those dudes also.  Im so very excited about this pick!!!!!!!!!

Different type of player than Graham and different offense than New England, so I don't know if we'll ever see those type of numbers, at least if Jackson and Evans are lined up outside. ASJ does remind me a lot of Gronk though, and Evans game actually reminds me some of Grahams (interesting to see how they rule on Graham being a TE or WR)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Better? I’d take close. 29 years since our last tight end Pro Bowler.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the pick that excites me the most. Finally, we can be excited about the TE position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the pick that excites me the most. Finally, we can be excited about the TE position.

Agreed. Totally changes our offense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s really not that sort of player. He’s not a Graham or Gronk or Gonzo type. He’s a lot more Heath Miller than those guys. He’s not gonna run seams and threaten guys like Gronk and really not a NFL threat flanked out. Ebron was the only TE in this draft with that potential.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I may catch some heat for this but I see ASJ as a more talented Jerramy Stevens. Now let me explain, Stevens was a very talented player that did not have the right head on his shoulders but was a first round pick. For some reason Stevens name pops in my head when watching ASJ. Anybody see this at all?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think he was a solid pick and has potential to be a good TE that we need. He will fit in nicely with VJ and Evans. I am excited about all these weapons we have on offense now. We need McCown or Glennon to be on point this year. These weapons should make their jobs easier. Just hope we can block well enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's really not that sort of player. He's not a Graham or Gronk or Gonzo type. He's a lot more Heath Miller than those guys. He's not gonna run seams and threaten guys like Gronk and really not a NFL threat flanked out. Ebron was the only TE in this draft with that potential.

Agreed, but star potential. Star not superstar. But when compared to everybody Post-Giles it may feel better than it is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is the stud pick of the draft, he will be far better than any of the other offensive guys Lovie drafted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do you guys think tedford will use 2 te sets with wright? I mean, at least on a constant basis..?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In my chat we all went nuts with hype!He was used as a blocker his last year and not used in the passing game too much. That's why his numbers declined and many felt he was being mistreated. Healthy, coached up and used correctly, we just got ourselves a STUD!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbeLETlWluwI do not see any drive in his blocking and a very average if not below average motor.  Washington has him standing up 60+% of the snaps, but even with his hand in the ground.  No pop.  Passive football player imo.  Hopefully someone lights a fire in him (which kind of sucks to have to hope for), because he clearly has the physical tools to be a + blocker.  Or maybe it was just an off night.  Maybe he was carrying a ding into the game.  I wish I could find more 2013 games.  Junior year games much the same watching him block.  Really like the way the kid catches the ball though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the pick, but I am worried about him living up to his full potential. He did have a few issues in the past, but seems to be past that. His 2012 tape looks alot better, when he is not playing overweight. Hopefully he can stay focused while in Tampa.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N-8Ip7cPZgThis game against Cal really gets me excitied. Throws a lot of good blocks, and makes big plays down field. This guy can be deadly if he stays focused. He has the explosion of Jimmy G, but is also and effective blocker. This can turn out to be the best pick of the draft.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

beatles I need the link

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

sorry beatles I don’t, lol, I just misread what you wrote, sorry.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I may catch some heat for this but I see ASJ as a more talented Jerramy Stevens. Now let me explain, Stevens was a very talented player that did not have the right head on his shoulders but was a first round pick. For some reason Stevens name pops in my head when watching ASJ. Anybody see this at all?

Is it because they are both half white half black, 6'6 tight ends that went to Washington?But in all seriousness, ASJ is already a much better blocker than Stevens ever was.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is my favorite pick in this draft, based purely on film. ASJ is someone who I was looking at before the draft. The league is changing, and having a huge receiving TE is a game changer in the modern NFL. As has been stated, there is a little bit of Gronk is his game. The problem is, he also has bust potential. Inconsistent play in college, weight issues, off the field arrests…..there are concerns. But the fact is, he has a chance to be a threat, one that changes the whole offense. As he himself stated, a true 3 down TE. I’m eager to see him in the pre-season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The Bucs should score everytime in the redzone!  ASJ is going to be a special player and should put up alot of TDs!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Being that the guy hasn't played a down in the NFL, your comparison must be based solely on physical appearance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbeLETlWluwI do not see any drive in his blocking and a very average if not below average motor.  Washington has him standing up 60+% of the snaps, but even with his hand in the ground.  No pop.  Passive football player imo.  Hopefully someone lights a fire in him (which kind of sucks to have to hope for), because he clearly has the physical tools to be a + blocker.  Or maybe it was just an off night.  Maybe he was carrying a ding into the game.  I wish I could find more 2013 games.  Junior year games much the same watching him block.  Really like the way the kid catches the ball though.

Good analysis. I concur. He will be a Jimmy Graham type TE who will command plenty of double teams. His strength will be as a pass catching new age TE. As far as blocking I completely agree with you. He cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Gronk. He absolutely shreds DBs and LBs but is soft as a marshmallow in-line. If we wanted a Gronk clone Niklas would have been the choice IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stevens and Graham both suck at blocking.  I see ASJ as more of the ALge Crumpler/ Antonio Gates type.  I like this pick as I think a true dual-threat TE gives an offense more versatility and doesn’t tip your hand to the defense because of your personnel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's really not that sort of player. He's not a Graham or Gronk or Gonzo type. He's a lot more Heath Miller than those guys. He's not gonna run seams and threaten guys like Gronk and really not a NFL threat flanked out. Ebron was the only TE in this draft with that potential.

I'd say some other people are overrating his blocking, but you're underrating his pass catching abilities.  Hopefully he'll shed some weight and be the player he was in 2012.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd say some other people are overrating his blocking, but you're underrating his pass catching abilities.  Hopefully he'll shed some weight and be the player he was in 2012.

I thought I saw somewhere where he plans to play at 260. That's plenty big IMO. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see ASJ as more of the ALge Crumpler/ Antonio Gates type.

Yeah that sounds about right

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He reminds me of tony G a bit.  More a traditional TE.  I am excited!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

@gregauman:Few rookie jersey numbers for Bucs: TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins gets 87 (does he change @Aesj88?), WR Robert Herron 14, RB Charles Sims 34.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He will get 88 no way Luke is on the final roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we're keeping three TEs, no doubt, but if we keep four? He might.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way Stocker makes the team. We should only be keeping 3 TE’s and even if we keep 4, Crabtree would probably get the spot over him. I just want to cut ties with that bum already. He’s the new Myron Lewis.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we're keeping three TEs, no doubt, but if we keep four? He might.

No way. The 4th TE would be Crabby and I don't think they are keeping 4 TEs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most of the rankings I saw showed Jace Amaro as the higher ranked player. He is bigger, faster,  better pass catcher and run blocker than ASJ.Just wondering why we passed on Amaro?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not seeing Graham/Gronk comparisons and I’m a fan of his. Not expecting he’ll be a game breaker, but he’s a guy I think can be really dependable. He did a great job of finding holes in zone coverage in college, bailed his QB out a lot. He could be our QBs best friend.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most of the rankings I saw showed Jace Amaro as the higher ranked player. He is bigger, faster,  better pass catcher and run blocker than ASJ.Just wondering why we passed on Amaro?

No he isn't lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Umm...Jace is not faster then ASJ, or a better blocker then ASJ..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He will have the opportunity to be more productive than the #1 pic, Evans, IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not seeing Graham/Gronk comparisons and I'm a fan of his. Not expecting he'll be a game breaker, but he's a guy I think can be really dependable. He did a great job of finding holes in zone coverage in college, bailed his QB out a lot. He could be our QBs best friend.

I do see some Gronk, maybe ASJ isnt quite at that level but I certanly can see the makings of a Gronk Lite when he runs the seam route or the deep flag to the sideline. So he has at least the upside of a poor mans Gronk imo, which would probably be good enough to make him a top 5 TE in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ is more well rounded TE. He is not as dynamic a reciever as Amaro but he will block...and as we all know blocking is what gets you paid in this league as a TE, oh wait, it isn't.  No, that is his edge Amaro is more Hernandez with out the murder charges and ASJ is more Heath Miller.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I looked into what separated Ebron, Amaro, and ASJ, and to me this is what it boiled down to. Amaro 13 tds in 3 years, Ebron 8 tds in 3 years, ASJ 21 tds in 3 years....exactly the amount that Ebron and Amaro had combined.  Some guys just have a nose for the endzone.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No way Stocker makes the team. We should only be keeping 3 TE's and even if we keep 4, Crabtree would probably get the spot over him. I just want to cut ties with that bum already. He's the new Myron Lewis.

^^ this ^^

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ is more well rounded TE. He is not as dynamic a reciever as Amaro but he will block...and as we all know blocking is what gets you paid in this league as a TE, oh wait, it isn't.  No, that is his edge Amaro is more Hernandez with out the murder charges and ASJ is more Heath Miller.

I wasn't a huge fan of the TEs in this class and may be a bit more down on this pick than some others here. But - I did hear/read pre-draft (sorry, can't remember the source - I think it was Charles Davis or Curtis Conway) that one edge ASJ had over the others is that he ran a full NFL-TE route tree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maneri is gone so if the Bucs keep four they like what they see out of Crabtree IMO.Crabtree is a special teams player too so I don't see how Luke Stocker beats him out. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wasn't a huge fan of the TEs in this class and may be a bit more down on this pick than some others here. But - I did hear/read pre-draft (sorry, can't remember the source - I think it was Charles Davis or Curtis Conway) that one edge ASJ had over the others is that he ran a full NFL-TE route tree.

I would agree.  He's clearly a more polished receiver than he is a blocker.  He's not a Gronk-level blocker, but he's much better than receiving TE's like Graham.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He runs a more diverse tree in college than does Amaro but the money for these guys is tied to winning on those seam routes like Graham or Gronk. He won't do that at the next level based on what I've seen. A lot of this is expectation, Heath Miller has been a very good TE for a very long time but he's not a dynamic player. ASJ reminds me a lot more of that type of player than the more athletic move TEs or a real freak like Gronk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really, I’ve watched him run those seam routes and catch TD’s all day.ASJ might be the most athletic TE in the draft, certainly not the fastest or quickest but the guy is insanely smooth running with incredible hands and body control. Dude is a baller.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He runs a more diverse tree in college than does Amaro but the money for these guys is tied to winning on those seam routes like Graham or Gronk. He won't do that at the next level based on what I've seen. A lot of this is expectation, Heath Miller has been a very good TE for a very long time but he's not a dynamic player. ASJ reminds me a lot more of that type of player than the more athletic move TEs or a real freak like Gronk.

I agree.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haven’t watched a bunch of either, but buddy must be trolling by saying Amaro is a better blocker. Not only is ASJ a very very good blocker, but Amaro literally played a slot role in TT spread offense. Apparently he ain’t a great catcher either:Weaknesses: Was used as a slot receiver and does not show the functional strength and body power to match up with NFL defensive linemen. Is unsudden (average acceleration) and lacks elite top-end speed. Upright, unrefined route runner -- shows hip and ankle stiffness in and out of breaks. Struggles to consistently separate. Fairly straight-linish after the catch, as confirmed by an average three-cone time (7.42 seconds) at the combine. Ordinary run strength. Production was inflated by scheme and poor pass defenses. Labored to catch the ball at the combine and really struggled to consistently haul it in.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am hoping for the 2012 ASJ where he weighed 260 lbs and was a match-up nightmare and caught everything in sight.  In 2013, he added weight and played at 270-275 in the hopes of being a better blocker but lost some speed and burst and also played with a hairline fracture in his foot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am hoping for the 2012 ASJ where he weighed 260 lbs and was a match-up nightmare and caught everything in sight.  In 2013, he added weight and played at 270-275 in the hopes of being a better blocker but lost some speed and burst and also played with a hairline fracture in his foot.

There's mixed info about that. Charles Davis (NFL Network) said that when he talked to ASJ he said he bulked up to block better (heard it was nearly 280), but when he mentioned that to Sarkisian, Sark rolled his eyes. As Davis pointed out, the previous spring, they had worked on getting better at up-tempo, which didn't make sense with ASJ's weight gain. I agree though - we want 2012 ASJ.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Really, I've watched him run those seam routes and catch TD's all day.ASJ might be the most athletic TE in the draft, certainly not the fastest or quickest but the guy is insanely smooth running with incredible hands and body control. Dude is a baller.

Again, does he run them,yes. Does he run them well enough to do it in the NFL, I don't think so.  People seem to read that anyone who isn't Gronk or Graham is a failed bit but Heath Miller was a very good player for a very long time.  Truthfully, I hope he can be that good a player. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m hardly an expert on ASJ or Amaro and while I’ll agree on a very superficial level Amaro does seem to be a more prototypical vertical TE, if people thought he was truly a stud up the seam, he’d have been drafted up where Ebron was. Chances are he has some sort of limitation to him. I don't have a problem with the "type" of player ASJ projects to be. As Dal said, guys like Heath Miller and Alge Crumpler have had very nice careers. I'm mostly concerned that his career has been on a downward trajectory.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting. I really didnt like either of these guys too much but both of them have potential to be productive players. As a pass catcher I like ASJ better. Amaro looks slow and sluggish where ASJ gets a little more seperation. I watched a few full games of each and saw Amaro attempt one block. I dont think anyone really knows if he can block. I like ASJ better and I am happy with the pick ... even though I would not have picked him. He gives us a really good receiving TE and ensures I will not have to watch Puke Stinker play anymore.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting. I really didnt like either of these guys too much but both of them have potential to be productive players. As a pass catcher I like ASJ better. Amaro looks slow and sluggish where ASJ gets a little more seperation. I watched a few full games of each and saw Amaro attempt one block. I dont think anyone really knows if he can block. I like ASJ better and I am happy with the pick ... even though I would not have picked him. He gives us a really good receiving TE and ensures I will not have to watch Puke Stinker play anymore.

Amaro is actually a better pass catcher than that but the next time he blocks someone will be the first time. ASJ is a guy who fits this poor run heavy offense we want because he can run block.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

From what I saw I liked him better blocking when the Huskies held him in to pass pro.  Saw his hands outside the framework a ton run blocking, and absolutely no drive or effort to do so.  Did an ok job of walling off much smaller defenders, but anyone close to his size beat (in many cases dominated) him.  His college film does not show him as a + run blocker from what I saw. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never watched him play, but from what you are guys are saying it sounds like his upside could be Jason Witten. Does that sound accurate?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What were Gronk and Graham’s combine numbers compared to the 2014 trio of Ebron, ASJ and Amaro?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Never watched him play, but from what you are guys are saying it sounds like his upside could be Jason Witten. Does that sound accurate?

I can see that. You never want to compare anyone to Gronk or Graham since their numbers are so historically good. Sure we all want a tight end with 100 catches for 1500 yards and 15 Tds. But slightly over half of that would be just fine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good pick. Good player. Hopefully.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Austin-Sefarian-Jenkins-PSU.jpgHe is much more physically gifted than Witten. But completely different. ASJ has a huge catching radius and good hands. He creates seperation with his cuts. He is best blocking downfield where he rarely misses his guy and makes LB's and DB's pay the price. He dominated blocking down the field. That did not translate to great in-line blocking. In an effort to make him look more versatile his college coaches actually did him a disservice by attempting to have him in-line block last year. That does not play to his strength. He can definitely help out with chip blocks on the DE's but hopefully they wont use him in-line too much. He had a very strange habit of just falling down when he caught the ball in college. If anyone attempted to tackle him, he went down. I never saw him drag a defender, not even a DB, not once. He had a broken foot at the combine and must have been playing on it so my fingers are crossed that was the issue. That is my biggest knock on him and the big difference between him and Amaro. Amaro is tough to tackle. He drags people down the field all day. And Amaro had a great combine. Top Performer in just about every category. But Amaro, at 6' 5" with huge 34" arms only has 9" hands!!! That is tiny. Matthews, Ebron, and OBJ all have 10" hands IIRC. And just about every top receiving prospect has at least 9 1/2" hands so this was quite the anomoly. Ebron also had a great combine. ASJ was hurt. Gronk was hurt. Jimmy Graham should have had a great combine but cant recall.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good stuff, goldson. Gracias.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jimmy Graham is such a freak it’s not even worth comparing other prospects to him. He ran a 4.53 40, had a 38.5″ vertical, and 10’0″ broad jump. He’s fast and explosive. Ebron is fast at 4.56 and showed some explosiveness with a 10'0" broad jump but didn't do as well in the vert with a 32" jump. Amaro was considerably slower at 4.74 and had a 33" vert and 9'10" broad. ASJ didn't work out at the Combine nor UW's pro day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m lazy, how tall is Ebron? Jimmy did all that at 6’6″. You’re right, he’s a straight freak.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm lazy, how tall is Ebron? Jimmy did all that at 6'6". You're right, he's a straight freak.

Ebron is 6'4"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worth noting that Gronkowski didn’t work out at the combine due to injury, and only time I can find on him is 4.68. Also, most of the profiles of him coming out talk about how he'd struggle to be a vertical threat in the NFL. Worst was Walter Football, calling him good player but "will never be elite." They compared him to Kevin Boss.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jimmy Graham is such a freak it's not even worth comparing other prospects to him. He ran a 4.53 40, had a 38.5" vertical, and 10'0" broad jump. He's fast and explosive. Ebron is fast at 4.56 and showed some explosiveness with a 10'0" broad jump but didn't do as well in the vert with a 32" jump. Amaro was considerably slower at 4.74 and had a 33" vert and 9'10" broad. ASJ didn't work out at the Combine nor UW's pro day.

The notion that ASJ doesn't have to good speed is ridiculous, wouldnt be surprised if he turns out to be a stud.@ScottSBucs  May 9Austin Seferian-Jenkins ran for the Bucs a couple weeks ago and he clocked in the mid-4.5s in the 40.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Walter is the worst. Jeebus.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jimmy Graham is such a freak it's not even worth comparing other prospects to him. He ran a 4.53 40, had a 38.5" vertical, and 10'0" broad jump. He's fast and explosive. Ebron is fast at 4.56 and showed some explosiveness with a 10'0" broad jump but didn't do as well in the vert with a 32" jump. Amaro was considerably slower at 4.74 and had a 33" vert and 9'10" broad. ASJ didn't work out at the Combine nor UW's pro day.

The notion that ASJ doesn't have to good speed is ridiculous, wouldnt be surprised if he turns out to be a stud.@ScottSBucs  May 9Austin Seferian-Jenkins ran for the Bucs a couple weeks ago and he clocked in the mid-4.5s in the 40.

That's pretty fast for a guy his size.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm somewhat skeptical of his time, honestly. Doesn't seem to play as fast. Watch the games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm somewhat skeptical of his time, honestly. Doesn't seem to play as fast. Watch the games.

When he worked out for the Jets he ran a 4.56. Perception vs. reality

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I realize, but there’s timed speed and there’s football speed. Anybody think Owusu looks like a 4.3 guy on the football field? I don't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would assume those mid-4.5s are hand-timed. Those times for Graham, Ebron, and Amaro are electronically timed, which I don’t know if anyone has done an official study of, but they generally seem to end up about 0.1 seconds slower than hand-timed ones. So if ASJ was getting hand-timed at 4.56, he would probably run around a 4.65 if he was running at the Combine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Listen folks, calm it down around here. Guy is 6’6 and can go UP and get a ball from his defender. Is athletic and smooth with very good hands. What are you arguing about. Unless he pulls a Freeman the guy has the goods.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think we are debating whether he has the “goods” it’s about projecting what his ceiling might be. I think most people in this thread would at least agree that he’s a talented prospect.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think we are debating whether he has the "goods" it's about projecting what his ceiling might be. I think most people in this thread would at least agree that he's a talented prospect.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Listen folks, calm it down around here. Guy is 6'6 and can go UP and get a ball from his defender. Is athletic and smooth with very good hands. What are you arguing about. Unless he pulls a Freeman the guy has the goods.

It is about what sort of player he is. Obviously there is the "We drafted him therefore he is the best mix of Gonzo/Gronk/Graham/Superman/Batman/Aquaman" types and then there are those of us who are looking at his skill set and trying to make current NFL player comparisons based on reality.

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

the guy will be a serious threat in his own way.  Graham reminds me of a giant WR, and Gronk can never stay healthy, dude gets hurt every year.  I hope our guy does well and can stay healthy.  I think we will have our own guy who can rise to the same heights, just in his own way, and a more true complete TE, just not a burner.  Just my opinion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ll compare him to Heath Miller who’s a very capable in-line blocker and splits out wide when need be and is a red-zone threat

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

who here would even say he needs to be a Heath Miller OR Gronk?He needs to be ASJ.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ seems very well spokenhttp://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Rookie_Interview_SeferianJenkins/0cae8d70-b02b-4b1f-8d2a-03f7188a6cb4

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I realize, but there's timed speed and there's football speed. Anybody think Owusu looks like a 4.3 guy on the football field? I don't.

I agree. The thing I like most about ASJ is that he has very good body control - to make slashing cuts and to adjust to the ball in the air.Speed however will be a factor as far as YAC goes because he isnt going to run away from anyone. But his skill set is very good and if we can take advantage of that we will have a very good player hopefully. He just wont be an Ebron or Davis with speed to burn DB's. He will be more of a possession type TE.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really like ASJ. That interview with him was really good.I feel like he's smart, a hard worker, and I truly believe he's making a firm attempt to move past the recklessness that led him to that DUI. I think we've got a Top 5 TE if he can bring it all together.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't think we are debating whether he has the "goods" it's about projecting what his ceiling might be. I think most people in this thread would at least agree that he's a talented prospect.

Ceiling....I hate this topic because its so pointless.  Take Drew Brees for instance....I wonder what we would have calculated his "ceiling" to be while he was still in college; then we look at Josh Freeman and what his "ceiling" is.  Josh Freeman is a historic bust while Breesis a SB winner that throws for a bazillion yards year in and year out.  Everyone seems to put way way too much stock on physical measurables, (prototypical "size"  and being big and strong are worst ones of all IMHO) when its something else entirely that makes a player great or not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ is so similar to Jeramy Stevens, it’s scary.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ is so similar to Jeramy Stevens, it's scary.

I don't see it.Stevens had questionable character when it came to many issues not just one issue. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t recall what Stevens issues were coming out of college but ASJ feels like a dude who has plenty of stupid on him and could become a problem. The fact that he is a big TE from UW doesn’t help that feeling.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think the Stevens comparison is that far off. We don’t know for a fact if ASJ will continue to be an underachieving knucklehead like Stevens or get his act together unlike Stevens, but both are possibilities.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys need to re-educate yourself on Jerramy Stevans’s off-field issues before comparing him to ASJ. He baseball batted, and curb stomped a guy and because he was dumber than rocks turned a home detention (while awaiting trial) into a jail stint because he got busted smoking weed. This was in HS. He was arrested for rape in college. He had more than one hit-and-run accident in college, including ramming his car into a retirement home. He has multiple dui and drug arrests. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2004147460_rbstevens270.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys need to re-educate yourself on Jerramy Stevans's off-field issues before comparing him to ASJ. He baseball batted, and curb stomped a guy and because he was dumber than rocks turned a home detention (while awaiting trial) into a jail stint because he got busted smoking weed. This was in HS. He was arrested for rape in college. He had more than one hit-and-run accident in college, including ramming his car into a retirement home. He has multiple dui and drug arrests. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2004147460_rbstevens270.html

amen

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You guys need to re-educate yourself on Jerramy Stevans's off-field issues before comparing him to ASJ. He baseball batted, and curb stomped a guy and because he was dumber than rocks turned a home detention (while awaiting trial) into a jail stint because he got busted smoking weed. This was in HS. He was arrested for rape in college. He had more than one hit-and-run accident in college, including ramming his car into a retirement home. He has multiple dui and drug arrests. http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2004147460_rbstevens270.html

Stupid is,well stupid though. Stevens was a nasty bit of work no doubt but ASJ has proven he can be dumb as well. In a spectrum of sleeze Stevens is about as bad as it gets. ASJ is still on that spectrum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just asking, what did ASJ do? Wikipedia only lists a DUI

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stupid is,well stupid though. Stevens was a nasty bit of work no doubt but ASJ has proven he can be dumb as well. In a spectrum of sleeze Stevens is about as bad as it gets. ASJ is still on that spectrum.

Huh? One guy is a sociopath - the other has a single dui to his name (National Football Post couldn't find anything else). The only thing I know about ASJ that worries me is the weight-gain last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Word is ASJ got into a staring contest with Chuck Norris. Norris blinked. it's true.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Huh? One guy is a sociopath - the other has a single dui to his name (National Football Post couldn't find anything else). The only thing I know about ASJ that worries me is the weight-gain last year.

For some people it takes time to realize their whole argument has been completely refuted in one post. Dont worry he'll ease into it soon enough once ASJ starts catching TDs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just asking, what did ASJ do? Wikipedia only lists a DUI

That's it. I don't get the trouble label for ASJ.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Speed kills but so does great technique. ASJ is probably average speed for a TE, maybe a bit above average for a guy his size but he's going to be effective because of the technique and leverage he uses when he plays. Yards after catch is crucial but don't let it override everything else. The elite TE in the league average somewhere around 6 yards after catch, the middle of the pack guys are about 4.5 YAC. The difference in YAC is not likely 40 time.  It's a great route that opens them up, it's a well placed ball that leads them or a great block, or in Brent Celek's case a scheme that produces a lot of space.Yeah we all wish ASJ ran a 4.5 but his 4.7 really doesn't matter and wont hinder his effectiveness. Tim Wright average 2.6 YAC last year, yikes!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Speed kills but so does great technique. ASJ is probably average speed for a TE, maybe a bit above average for a guy his size but he's going to be effective because of the technique and leverage he uses when he plays. Yards after catch is crucial but don't let it override everything else. The elite TE in the league average somewhere around 6 yards after catch, the middle of the pack guys are about 4.5 YAC. The difference in YAC is not likely 40 time.  It's a great route that opens them up, it's a well placed ball that leads them or a great block, or in Brent Celek's case a scheme that produces a lot of space.Yeah we all wish ASJ ran a 4.5 but his 4.7 really doesn't matter and wont hinder his effectiveness. Tim Wright average 2.6 YAC last year, yikes!

Im not one to get too hung up on 40s, but where is this ASJ 4.7 time coming from? He didn't work out til the very end of the draft process because of the foot and according to JL he ran in the mid 4.5s when he finally did clock for us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow, nice! I just made up a number for the sake of the argument. Tony Gonz is slow as poop but still very effective because of how he plays.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't really disagree with much here. I don't remember saying much about 40 times or YAC. I'm basing it on his 2012 videos and trying to compare what I see there to what I see in the NFL.  I used the word "ceiling" but what I mean is probably better understood as "type." Is he a guy who is going to threaten the deep seams? Will his speed cause mismatches with certain players? I think he's talented, but he also looks a bit sluggish. Doesn't mean that he can't be very good, it just impacts the way in which he's good. I think he's got great hands, he blocks well enough that he's going to get in a lot of situations that allow him to block and release, and he's going to get a chance to succeed here in a big way, just based on the fact that the guys on either side of him are going to cause teams lots of headaches.I didn't love this pick the way I loved Evans (and Herron) picks, but I do think he has a chance to be very good, and I'm pretty excited about that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What did ASJ do?Dal is putting him in the same frame as Jerramy Stevens?  Wha?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His OL coach wanted him to gain weight to become a better blocker against the larger DE's. It was a stupid move because it removed his mobility to a great degree and kept him out as part of the downfield offensive play packages. Trust me, some scouts called this guy the "Black Gronk" and I think after one year of learning that comparison might stick. He has a bad attitude towards defenses and we need more of that. I want our TE's and WR's to abuse the second level and ASJ will do that with Myers.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude was voted best te in college football.  Yep he must suck bad. Some of you all don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ seems very well spokenhttp://www.buccaneers.com/multimedia/videos/Rookie_Interview_SeferianJenkins/0cae8d70-b02b-4b1f-8d2a-03f7188a6cb4

Is that a nice way of saying he's not ghetto? x) (yankin your chain)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Dude was voted best te in college football.  Yep he must suck bad. Some of you all don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Who is saying he sucks?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

His OL coach wanted him to gain weight to become a better blocker against the larger DE's.

No, he wanted to gain weight. I already mentioned in the thread that it was pretty clear last year Sarkesian didn't want him heavy....I was a little lazy, I can admit that,’’ he said at the combine. “I shouldn’t have been that heavy, but now I am at the right weight.’’On Friday night, Seferian-Jenkins said there will be no need to loosen his belt once again.“I’m going to be 260 pounds for the rest of my career,’’ he said. “I was asked to do more in the run-blocking game and I felt that it would help me to gain weight. And it really didn’t. I learned that it had to do with technique, so I’m not going to be that heavy anymore.’’

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If this ^^^ is true, seems pretty straight forward. I like how the kid is trying to change his game to make himself better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If this ^^^ is true, seems pretty straight forward. I like how the kid is trying to change his game to make himself better.

I agree - I like that he owns up to it. But talk is cheap (see Bowers, D.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

agree talk is cheap, but it comes across good for now, we’ll see.  this is the season of hope

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree - I like that he owns up to it. But talk is cheap (see Bowers, D.)

The way I see it ASJ knew he was declaring this year, so its very possible he got a little senioritis and wanted to enjoy his last year in college a bit more with his boys. Cant blame him too much. Now here's the kicker: he still produced enough to earn the award for the nation's best TE. Now imagine what he could do as a pro once he fully matures, mentally and physically.  :o ;D

Please wait…

Viewing 109 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.