Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 73 reply threads

• Author

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

I know most of you don’t see it that way now due to our recent struggles but he’s not a bad coach…. he’s well respected around the league and demands professionalism… we have to scale it back and not forget we had no pre-season for the chemistry to develop and gel… Brady came into a new system and our expectations were through the roof with good reason but the other team gets paid too therefore it’s never gonna be as easy as the Chiefs made it look in the first half… anyways the we have work to do and BA is not all at fault… next year we can really see what this offense is really about

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

He was a good coach, my beef with him started last season when I wanted his offensive playcalling, and he delegated the entire offense to leftwich, who was a nobody. The only good thing that’s been accomplished by him is being able to kick Winston to the curb and recruit Brady.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

He is a name.

Average at best.

The pros don’t outweigh the cons

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

He was a good coach, my beef with him started last season when I wanted his offensive playcalling, and he delegated the entire offense to leftwich, who was a nobody. The only good thing that’s been accomplished by him is being able to kick Winston to the curb and recruit Brady.

Agreed, when he was hired (at least to me) it was to be the offensive Guru that he is… so for him to put BL in charge form the get and not run this offense himself was not why he was hired… I think it’ll workout in the end tho

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Agreed, when he was hired (at least to me) it was to be the offensive Guru that he is… so for him to put BL in charge form the get and not run this offense himself was not why he was hired… I think it’ll workout in the end tho

Why do you think it will work out?

When has it ever worked out for us?

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Hes too stubborn or arrogant or both.

Hes coached good QBs but starting to feel like that was inspite of him, not because of him.

He’s not the worst coach we’ve had, far from. But there are better options available.

Hes close to retirement anyway

• BucBalla85

Participant

Hes been too stubborn for my liking. I get it that we didn’t have a preseason but we did have training camp. The guys at helm should know by now what works with this offense and what doesn’t. He still tries to put a square peg into a round one.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

Just go check BAs record… his first year Teams are abismal but after they get understand the concept of his offense they take off running…

• FsstNfurios

Participant

Arians is the definition of washed up.

• Nobody

Participant

Just go check BAs record… his first year Teams are abismal but after they get understand the concept of his offense they take off running…

This is a myth and I’m not sure why it has persisted. He’s been OC or HC for the Browns, Steelers, Colts, Cards, Bucs.

– Tim Couch (#1 pick) was marginally better year 2 than year 1 (and he was terrible both years).
      – Ben Roethlisberger was fantastic year 1 and awful year 2.
      – Andrew Luck (#1 pick) only had one year then BA left for Cards. He was MVP-ish after year 1.
      – Carson Palmer (#1 pick) was bad year one, injured for most of year 2, great year 3.
      – Jameis Winston (#1 pick) was awful year one.

4 x # 1 picks. Mixed bag entirely.

• Tampa Bay Todd

Participant

He is a good coach, but he’s also got a high opinion of his system and because of that he’s way too stubborn to be open to tweaking things when necessary. Also, either because of pride or stubborness, he refuses to give an honest evaluation to Leftwich’s handling of the playcalling and preparation of the offensive strategy for the first 15 plays and adapting as the game goes on. Agree with several others in that when originally hired I was excited that the Bucs were getting a proven offensive mind to breathe life into the team, but then he stepped away and gave all of that authority to Leftwich. Like pulling the bait and switch on the Bucs front office. And I’m very disappointed he doesn’t seem to feel the need to self-scout on the bye week. Way too predictable on offense and just mind-boggling on defense at some of the game plans.

• seekpar

Participant

I used to work with a guy who was described by our boss as “retired while on duty”. Needless to say, he was let go. It happens to anyone who fails to add value to the organization.

• Charles

Participant

This has been debunked and is an urban legend. It’s in an old thread. You heard that on the radio or someone post but it is false. Fake news dude.

• JC5100

Participant

Can’t wait for SR’s fluff piece on Licht and Arians after they sneak into the playoffs while not acknowledging Dirk would have made it under this current format.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

This is a myth and I’m not sure why it has persisted. He’s been OC or HC for the Browns, Steelers, Colts, Cards, Bucs.

– Tim Couch (#1 pick) was marginally better year 2 than year 1 (and he was terrible both years).
      – Andrew Luck (#1 pick) only had one year then BA left for Cards. He was MVP-ish after year 1.
      – Carson Palmer (#1 pick) was bad year one, injured for most of year 2, great year 3.

You say it’s myth huh? all you’re doing is looking at QB stats no overall record stats… let me enlighten you real quick.

2001: hired as an OC by the browns who were probably one of the worst teams during that time and took them the playoffs year 2 with the team…

2007: first year as an offensive coordinator with PIT 10-6 and wins a SB.

2012: the colts won 2 games in ‘11 when BA arrived he orchestrated the biggest one season turnaround in NFL history winning 9 games in ‘12… Getting the Colts to the playoffs and btw winning COACH OF THE YEAR along with it…

2013: Became the Cardinals HC and wins 10 games becoming the only since 1925 to so with that team as a 1st year coach..

2014: wins 11 Games tying him for most in franchise history and if it wasn’t for Palmer going down who knows how that season would of played out.. they were 9-1 before Palmer going down that year… another COACH OF THE YEAR award

2015: leads the cards to a 13-3 record and takes them to the NFC championship…

2016: went 7-8-1 with the cardinal

2017: 8-8 with the cards as he retired

2019: becomes our HC and goes 7-9 with a QB that most would agree didn’t really fit this system and had a propensity to make mistakes at the worst times…

2020: already matched last seasons total and we’re in a great spot make the god damn playoffs which we haven’t done in more than a decade…

@nobody
      Seems like you’ve been blinded by the wrong stats when talking about BA… I can careless if Brady has a 30-30 season like Winston but if we win I’m ok with it since winning cures all… so stop downplaying the mans coaching skills and instead support him and trust him while he’s here..

• theknees

Participant

You say it’s myth huh? all you’re doing is looking at QB stats no overall record stats… let me enlighten you real quick.

2001: hired as an OC by the browns who were probably one of the worst teams during that time and took them the playoffs year 2 with the team…

2012: the colts won 2 games in ‘11 when BA arrived he orchestrated the biggest one season turnaround in NFL history winning 9 games in ‘12… Getting the Colts to the playoffs and btw winning COACH OF THE YEAR along with it…

2013: Became the Cardinals HC and wins 10 games becoming the only since 1925 to so with that team as a 1st year coach..

2014: wins 11 Games tying him for most in franchise history and if it wasn’t for Palmer going down who knows how that season would of played out.. they were 9-1 before Palmer going down that year… another COACH OF THE YEAR award

2019: becomes our HC and goes 7-9 with a QB that most would agree didn’t really fit this system and had a propensity to make mistakes at the worst times…

2020: already matched last seasons total and we’re in a great spot make the god damn playoffs which we haven’t done in more than a decade…

@nobody
      Seems like you’ve been blinded by the wrong stats when talking about BA… I can careless if Brady has a 30-30 season like Winston but if we win I’m ok with it since winning cures all… so stop downplaying the mans coaching skills and instead support him and trust him while he’s here..

@nobody
      is generally not very specific with his analysis. Lots of bluster while thumbing through a thesaurus. His commentary on plays and situations are often completely made up. Tiresome.

That said, BA letting BL run this offense is just not working. One glowing example. After ROJO’s TD catch and run, in the first half on Sunday, he wasn’t thrown to again the entire game.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

@nobody is generally not very specific with his analysis. Lots of bluster while thumbing through a thesaurus. His commentary on plays and situations are often completely made up. Tiresome.

Clearly, the board’s resident bet-welcher needs to pluck and wax his extremely insecure clam.

• 3rd String Kicker

I penciled these last two games as losses before the season started as did many others here, I am not shocked to be honest. We are 7-5 going into our bye week with an opportunity to grace the playoffs for the first time in the better part of a decade. Having just lost a few games in a row, people will naturally want to see him fired and suggest he is absolutely terrible. When we throttled the Packers and the Raiders, most were wondering if this is what a head coach is supposed to look like.

If he (and this coaching staff) gets us to the playoffs, I’ll be thrilled! I really want be talking about our next game and not the draft in January for a change. Figure it out in the bye week, get healthy, and lets start with the next game. One game at a time.

• theknees

Participant

@nobody is generally not very specific with his analysis. Lots of bluster while thumbing through a thesaurus. His commentary on plays and situations are often completely made up. Tiresome.

Clearly, the board’s resident bet-welcher needs to pluck and wax his extremely insecure clam.

This is actually damn funny. Well done Donk!

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

@nobody

@nobody
      is generally not very specific with his analysis. Lots of bluster while thumbing through a thesaurus. His commentary on plays and situations are often completely made up. Tiresome.

That said, BA letting BL run this offense is just not working. One glowing example. After ROJO’s TD catch and run, in the first half on Sunday, he wasn’t thrown to again the entire game.

I have to agree here with not getting Rojo involved more in the offense and that’s solely on BL and BA to extent cuz we expected him to be the the HC/OC when we signed him…

with that said, I don’t have a problem with most of nobody’s assessments and I do appreciate the time he takes to do his all 22 every week…

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

I penciled these last two games as losses before the season started as did many others here, I am not shocked to be honest. We are 7-5 going into our bye week with an opportunity to grace the playoffs for the first time in the better part of a decade. Having just lost a few games in a row, people will naturally want to see him fired and suggest he is absolutely terrible. When we throttled the Packers and the Raiders, most were wondering if this is what a head coach is supposed to look like.

If he (and this coaching staff) gets us to the playoffs, I’ll be thrilled! I really want be talking about our next game and not the draft in January for a change. Figure it out in the bye week, get healthy, and lets start with the next game. One game at a time.

Exactly, winning cures all… if we run-off to a 11-5 record I’m sure most of these BA sucks as a coach will die down… or they’ll find something else to complain about with this team…

• theknees

Participant

Side note: I think the Insecure Clam, would be a solid name for a strip club…

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Off-topic

@Donkey_Hunter
      , how do you do your selective quote and not include the vote rating? I hate adding every other quote that started a particular sub-thread. It just bogs down the thread page and seeing only two letters per line. heh

I do a generic way of copy, paste, italicize the quote, and then blockquote the quote as well as manually identify the author of said quote. It’s just not as clean as your selective quote without the vote rating. Thanks in advance!

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Side note: I think the Insecure Clam, would be a solid name for a strip club…

Ummm… are you trying to attract or ward away potential customers? Those dancers would never leave the locker room due to their insecureness. LoL

• Nobody

Participant

@xbucsx_4_xevax

If you were broadly referring to his work as an Offensive Coordinator, then that’s my fault. You said (a) he’s widely respected as a “guru” and (b) there are typically struggles year 1 and then they’re better after that.

The only times I’ve ever heard these things cited for Arians is when they’re referring to his “QB whispering” (which is his nom de guerre in football – I looked that up on my thesaurus @theknees). So that is my bad for making that inference of your intent from what you wrote.

Let’s see how his offenses have done. My guess is (without looking at them, its a very mixed bag).

Just going to look at DVOA Offense as its an all-encompassing metric that measures everything offense against the competition (play efficiency rate, turnovers, etc):

BROWNS

01 – 16
      02 – 24
      03 – 23

STEELERS

07 – 10
      08 – 21
      09 – 7
      10 – 5
      11 – 6

COLTS

12 – 18

CARDINALS

13 – 20
      14 – 23
      15 – 4
      16 – 22
      17 – 29

BUCCANEERS

19 – 23

+++++++++++++++++++

Those are his DVOA results as OC/HC.

That is…pretty mixed to put it charitably. He had that 3 year run in Pittsburgh after which they fired him because (if you look at all of the local Pittsburgh analysis/fans/media at that period…it says the same things (which should be familiar). Look up “why did Pittsburgh fire Bruce Arians”:

* Stubborn
      * Predictable
      * Unbalanced
      * Doesn’t make adjustments
      * Too many Empty Sets
      * Gets his QBs killed with disproportionate Pressures/Hits/Sacks

Mike Tomlin is one of the best coaches of the last 20 years and one of the best in history. If Mike Tomlin is willing to fire an OC, that should tell you something.

An interesting bit of perspective is what happened after Arians was fired.

They dropped to 20 DVOA the following year.

However, then they immediately surged back to 2 DVOA.

Then 3 DVOA.

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

@xbucsx_4_xevax

If you were broadly referring to his work as an Offensive Coordinator, then that’s my fault. You said (a) he’s widely respected as a “guru” and (b) there are typically struggles year 1 and then they’re better after that.

The only times I’ve ever heard these things cited for Arians is when they’re referring to his “QB whispering” (which is his nom de guerre in football – I looked that up on my thesaurus @theknees). So that is my bad for making that inference of your intent from what you wrote.

Let’s see how his offenses have done. My guess is (without looking at them, its a very mixed bag).

Just going to look at DVOA Offense as its an all-encompassing metric that measures everything offense against the competition (play efficiency rate, turnovers, etc):

BROWNS

01 – 16
      02 – 24
      03 – 23

STEELERS

07 – 10
      08 – 21
      09 – 7
      10 – 5
      11 – 6

COLTS

12 – 18

CARDINALS

13 – 20
      14 – 23
      15 – 4
      16 – 22
      17 – 29

BUCCANEERS

19 – 23

+++++++++++++++++++

Those are his DVOA results as OC/HC.

That is…pretty mixed to put it charitably. He had that 3 year run in Pittsburgh after which they fired him because (if you look at all of the local Pittsburgh analysis/fans/media at that period…it says the same things (which should be familiar). Look up “why did Pittsburgh fire Bruce Arians”:

* Stubborn
      * Predictable
      * Unbalanced
      * Doesn’t make adjustments
      * Too many Empty Sets
      * Gets his QBs killed with disproportionate Pressures/Hits/Sacks

Mike Tomlin is one of the best coaches of the last 20 years and one of the best in history. If Mike Tomlin is willing to fire an OC, that should tell you something.

An interesting bit of perspective is what happened after Arians was fired.

They dropped to 20 DVOA the following year.

However, then they immediately surged back to 2 DVOA.

Then 3 DVOA.

Again pal no one is saying BA isn’t Stubborn, unbalanced, too many empty sets but that doesn’t mean he’s not a good coach…

how can you ignore his .600 career record and still not call him a good coach… maybe some of those “bad attributes” it’s what makes him a good coach…

Not saying the guys is an all world coach but you guys are selling him short and I don’t wanna go through those awful times we witnessed while DK was here…

At least it feels like we have a competent HC and a professional team for once…

• JC5100

Participant

He got a little too much credit for what he did with Arizona. Whisenhunt had much more success there than Arians did.

• m_j

Participant

I do not like him, he can‘t really manage people, he can‘t manage the clock, he eats his own words … I do not like him at all!

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

He got a little too much credit for what he did with Arizona. Whisenhunt had much more success there than Arians did.

What a joke… you’re the same person that if we win the SB won’t give BA credit on a “Lets give BA credit for winning a SB” thread and would give Licht all the praise and glory yet on a “let’s give Licht credit for a SB” thread you’ll turn around and say BA was the orchestrator of all…I just don’t get it but whatever

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant