Viewing 11 reply threads

• Author

• jbear

Participant

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/the-moronic-firing-of-will-wilkinson?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxODkxOTUyOCwicG9zdF9pZCI6MzE3NzIyMTQsIl8iOiI4bFMxaiIsImlhdCI6MTYxMTM0MDI3NSwiZXhwIjoxNjExMzQzODc1LCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMTI4NjYyIiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.iQICb_1WUzItIa9uYjfsQVC3b-gYlfjZfjuaW89hG-o

The Trumper sepaketh!

Luckily for him, he lives in Brazil and is influential enough that he can actually say what he wants to say without fear of being deleted. For now.

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

All of this is especially ironic given that the president of this colorless, sleepy think tank — last seen hiring the colorless, sleepy Matt Yglesias — himself has a history of earnestly and non-ironically advocating actual violence against people. As Aaron Sibarium documented, Taylor took to Twitter over the summer to say that he wishes BLM and Antifa marchers had “rushed” the St. Louis couple which famously displayed guns outside their homes and “beat their brains in,” adding: “excuse me if I root for antifa to punch these idiots out.” So that’s the profound, pious believer in non-violence so deeply offended by Wilkinson’s tweet that he quickly fired him from his think tank.

Too funny.

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

Whatever else might be true of them, the Niskanen Center’s president and The New York Times editors are not dumb enough to believe that Wilkinson was actually advocating that Mike Pence be lynched. It takes only a few functional brain cells to recognize what his actual intent with that tweet was, as poorly expressed or ill-advised as it might have been given the context-free world of Twitter and the tensions of the moment. So why would they indulge all this by firing a perfectly inoffensive career technocrat, all to appease the blatant bad faith and probably-not-even-serious demands of the mob?

Because this is the framework that we all now live with. It does not matter whether the anger directed at the think tank executives or New York Times editors is in good faith or not. It is utterly irrelevant whether there is any validity to the complaints against Wilkinson and the demands that he be fired. The merit of these kinds of grievance campaigns is not a factor.

All that matters to these decision-makers is societal scorn and ostracization.

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

The recent extraordinary removal of the social media platform Parler from the internet was clearly driven by these dynamics. It is inconceivable that Tim Cook, Jeff Bezos and Google executives believe that Parler is some neo-Nazi site that played anywhere near the role in planning and advocating for the Capitol riot as Facebook and YouTube did. But they know that significant chunks of liberal elite culture believe this (or at least claim to), and they thus calculate — not irrationally, even if cowardly — that they will have to endure a large social and reputational hit for refusing mob demands to destroy Parler. Like the Niskanen and Times bosses with Wilkinson, they had to decide how much pain they were willing to accept to defend Parler, and — as is usually the case — it turned out the answer was not much. Thus was Parler destroyed, with nowhere near the number of important liberal friends that Wilkinson has.

Well Duh.

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

But two recent trends have greatly intensified this mania. Social media is one of the most powerful generators of group-think ever invented in human history, enabling a small number of people to make decision-makers feel besieged with scorn and threatened with ostracization if they do not obey mob demands. The other is that the liberal-left has gained cultural hegemony in the most significant institutions — from academia and journalism to entertainment, sports, music and art — and this weapon, which they most certainly did not invent, is now vested squarely in their hands.

But all weapons, once unleashed onto the world, will be copied and wielded by opposing tribes. Gabe Hoffman has likely seen powerless workers fired in the wake of the George Floyd killing for acts as trivial as a Latino truck driver innocently flashing an “OK” sign at a traffic light or a researcher fired for posting data about the political effects of violent v. non-violent protests and realized that he could use, or at least trifle with, this power against liberals instead of watching it be used by them. So he did it.

It’s exactly the same dynamic that led liberals to swoon over Donald Trump’s banning from social media and the mass-banning of his followers only to watch yesterday as numerous Antifa accounts were banned for the crime of organizing an anti-Biden march

Wait…. you’re telling me they banned Antifa accounts only after Biden is President? Can’t make this shit up people. Fire please, head out of ass. Soon as you can before it’s too late. It’s amazing, two days in and Antifa suddenly exists. They don’t exist, it’s no big deal, it’s mostly great people…. bang! Violent antifa terrorists purged from the interweb. And what do we get from the left… crickets.

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

Unleash this monster and one day it will come for you. And you’ll have no principle to credibly invoke in protest when it does. You’ll be left with nothing more than lame and craven pleading that your friends do not deserve the same treatment as your enemies. Force, not principle, will be the sole factor deciding the outcome.

If you’re lucky enough to have important and famous media friends like Will Wilkinson, you have a chance to survive it. Absent that, you have none.

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Fucking marry this guy already. Watched an interview with him on Fox News.

He’s MAGA-lite… kinda like

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

@Fire

So Alice posts 10 threads a day from her left wing news feed and I post one thread every few days based on one well written article that apparently makes it’s points well enough that you can’t ever find anything to say about it besides that you can’t be bothered to read it because Glen Greenwald is a Trumper.

You’re the poster child for willful blindness if ever there was one. You’ve outright admitted that you can’t get through a whole article because it makes you too angry yet there’s nothing here but defense of free speech and a reigning in of government power. But it makes you mad because Trump happened… well I”m real sorry Fire but when you advocate for rounding up the deplorables and putting walls around the capital building then you’re going to have to at least attempt a rational argument or admit that you aren’t objective at all.

Please wait…

• Col. Klink

Participant

Wait…. you’re telling me they banned Antifa accounts only after Biden is President? Can’t make this shit up people.

Actually you can make this shit up, jbear, and maybe the author of your well written article did just that …

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/aug/20/facebook-removes-980-antifa-related-groups-impleme/

Please wait…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I read it… he says the same shit on Fox.

It’s an echo chamber.

You seem to love this guy… probably because Amash is too liberal for you now 😘

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

@Klink

Good call Klink but that was me not the author. He said that there was a crackdown on those groups yesterday which is true. I erroneously implied that there had been no crackdowns under Trump.

You got me but it doesn’t really change any of my arguments just maybe the scale of the proposed outrage directed at Uncle Joe.

But don’t worry it’s only the third day.

Please wait…

• jbear

Participant

@Fire

Fire I love Justin Amash but he’s sadly out of politics right now. If he comes out of “retirement” and runs for something national again, he will have my support.

Please wait…

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.