Viewing 61 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Best and Worst Draft Choices in Tampa History Apr 12  2014, 11:50pmhugh_zps7b0f5f42.jpgWith the draft about a month away it is only normal to see an onslaught of mock drafts. Mock Draft after Mock Draft everyone is going a little insane. Time to step away from the normal Mock Draft and take a look at the best, and worst draft decisions in Tampa Bay history. Just note this is not a complete list just a few that stand out for each category. Good draft picks are hard to come by some teams just never seem to hit the jackpot when it comes to the draft, bust after bust teams try changing their approach to the draft and it just doesn't seem to help. The draft is one of the hardest processes in any sport. Organizations can be mocked for making the wrong decision, or praised for making the right ones. Lets take a dive into the Buccaneers worst draft decisions in history. Although in the 1977 draft Tampa Bay could have selected Tony Dorsett instead of RIcky Bell, I'm excluding that off of this list as Ricky Bell was a true great. 1981: Maybe not the worst Draft decision, but it feels sour. Yes Tampa Bay needed to fill their linebacker void and drafted a one year Pro Bowl Linebacker in Hugh Green. After a series of injuries Green found is way off of the Bucs after a short stint. Just one pick after Hugh Green, the LA Rams selected Hall Of Fame safety Ronnie Lott...Imagine if Lott went to the Bucs. Our defense might have risen up again, maybe it wouldn't, but it would've certainly been interesting. Lott would've gave the Bucs some nasty. During this draft Tampa Bay also passed on future Hall Of Fame Linebacker Mike Singletary..yeesh, it would've been nice to have Lott and SIngletary on the same team. 1985: Again not a pain inducing pick, but it wasn't beneficial. In the Third round Tampa Bay selected Linebacker Ervin Randle, a player who just fell into obscurity. Just a few picks later more consistent Linebacker was Jack Del Rio, a future Pro-bowler. He wasn't an all-star but he was a good player 1986: Ah, the big one, the one everyone knows. The 1986 first pick selection by the Tampa Bay Bucs Bo Jackson. Before this Bo said he was going to play in the MLB not in the NFL, Tampa still wasted their pick on him, as he refused to sign. A truly awful pick in history. Imagine how nice it would've been if he did sign though. Still Tampa missed out on Jim Everett, and even a decent running back in Neal Anderson, a player who would've actually signed. 1990: This one is big. Tampa Bay again needed to fill a linebacker void and had an early draft pick Tampa selected Keith McCants with the fourth pick of the first round. One pick before Junior Seau. Oh my god did they mess up. McCants basically was a bust, as Junior Seau rose to greatness. One of the best linebackers of the last 20 years and Tampa Bay missed out on him. 1996: Tampa Bay needed to fill their defensive line, and what better way to do this than to draft two defensive ends in the very first round. Tampa Bay selected Regan Upshaw and Marcus Jones, the problem was both of these players busted. Both players were also selected before notable talent such as Marvin Harrison and all time great Ray Lewis. 2007: Gaines Adams. 2009: Josh Freeman. Oh my Freeman had caused more trouble and laughter towards the Bucs locker room than anyone has in awhile. From his inconsistent play to his drama filled interviews Freeman was a true bust for the Bucs. He caused more problems than he could bargain for, as Tampa cut him last year. 39cfe06b-8bc8-4426-b2cf-c32d5b8461c3_zps048ad3d3.pngAfter all of those sour picks lets look at some of the Bucs best draft choices ever.1976: The first pick in Tampa Bay history was a home-run, Lee Roy Selmon was selected and boy was it a great decision. Selmon went down as one of the greatest Defensive ends ever and was Tampa Bay's first all-star. 1978: Sure his stint with Tampa Bay was short lived, but he helped pull the Bucs out of the basement and rise to the playoffs. Along with the Bucs great defense Williams helped Tampa Bay every step of the way. Sadly Williams went elsewhere and eventually won a Superbowl with the Redskins. 1981: James Wilder. Yes James Wilder a true Tampa Bay legend. Tampa Bay selected Wilder in the second round and it turned out to be one of their best picks of their existence. Wilder rushed to 1,000 yard season after 1,000 yard season and went down as a truly great Buc. 1988: Paul Gruber, yes the Paul Gruber. I have actually encountered a lot of Bucs fans who do not know of the great Paul Gruber. Probably the Best offensive linemen Tampa Bay has ever had Gruber was on the teams of the dark years. Gruber still managed to play and excel at his position. Gruber was another great player and a great pick by the Bucs. 1993: Tampa Bay had a great on their hands and didn't realize it. In the third round Tampa selected the first piece of their stout 2000's defense. John Lynch was selected and immediately brought his Ball-hawking smash-mouth safety game to the Bucs defense and left his mark forever. 1995: Possibly the most important year of the Bucs history. Two completely perfect picks in one round. The first round. Tampa Bay selected both Warren Sapp and Derrick Brooks two future Hall of Famers, and the leaders of the 2000's Superbowl squad. 1997: Another important draft Tampa Bay selected their final piece to the Championship squad they were looking for. In the third round the Bucs selected their best defensive corner of all time. Ronde Barber. A late pick Barber rose up to be possibly a top five corner of all time and certainly a future Hall of Famer. 2012: Doug Martin was selected and probably was the best pick of the recent years. A complete surprise pick Martin went on to be a pro-bowl running back of his rookie year.hugh1_zps5c68d713.gifhttp://www.bucsnation.com/2014/4/5/5584616/best-and-worst-draft-choices-in-tampa-history

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What a bad draft 1986 was, the only players I even recognize from that draft are Haley, Mark Rypien, Ray Browner, and Joyner. And Haley went the earliest of them in the 3rd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not sure you can really count a guy taken in the first as the best pick, best player yes but getting a great player late in the draft is a better pick than a Hall of Fame guy in the 1st.Ronde in the 3rd was a far better pick than Sapp, Brooks or Selmon in the 1st.As far as Doug Williams being a good pick in the 1st, the guy is a chump, he's massively over rated based on a great Tampa D carrying them to an NFC championship game and 1 quarter of a Super Bowl.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To say Hugh Green was a “sour” pick is a joke.  Green is probably the best linebacker I’ve ever seen play other than Lawrence Taylor.  Had Green not been in that car accident, there’s no telling what he’d have done.  Prior to that draft, all the talk was that the Bucs were going to pick Ronnie Lott (mainly because Green would be gone by their pick).  But when Green slid to the Bucs, there was nothing wrong with that pick.  Had Lott been on the Bucs, his career likely would have been nothing as spectacular as it was on the 9ers.    Even if I had to make that pick today, taking Green over Lott is not a mistake.  They are very close.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Best pick ever for the Bucs wasLee Roy SelmonWorst ever was Bo Jackson

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shocked to see Selmon get so little votes. He is the best player in Bucs history.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shocked to see Selmon get so little votes. He is the best player in Bucs history.

He was also taken with a 1st overall pick, those are expected to be great so it's not really a great pick, getting a borderline HoF player later in the draft is a great pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was also taken with a 1st overall pick, those are expected to be great so it's not really a great pick, getting a borderline HoF player later in the draft is a great pick.

If picking players later is the key to a great pick, then it wasn't Sapp, Brooks or Selmon.  They were all first round picks.    how about John Lynch in the 3rd then?  Or Alstott or Wilder in the 2nd?  Or the best ever - Dave Logan in the 12th.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst:  Picking Barron over Kuechly.  Don’t mean to beat a dead horse but …

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

#12 overall and #28 overall are not the same as #1 overall. You cant just lump 1st round picks together.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst: Gimpy Cheeseburger over Carlos Dunlap .What the hell were they thinking !!??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Drafting Carnell Williams over Aaron Rodgers is in the top 5. That was a job costing mistake.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Had Rodgers gone to the Bucs and played right away he might have gone down the path of David Carr.  Tedford doesn’t train his QBs for the pros.  He is going to be the next failed OC on the long list of Lovie’s offensive failures.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Had Rodgers gone to the Bucs and played right away he might have gone down the path of David Carr. .

So true.  Rodgers fell into the perfect situation.  Had the 49ers taken him with the first overall pick, I would bet he would have flopped.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst: Gimpy Cheeseburger over Carlos Dunlap .What the hell were they thinking !!??

As bad as that was, they took Benn over Gronkowski that same draft.  THAT was worse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That draft as a whole : train wreck

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Classy move not writing anything about Gaines Adams. That was the first thing i thought when i read the title.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That draft as a whole : train wreck

I remember after that draft that most on here were giddy and bragging about what a great genius Dominik was at drafting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rock star

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Had Rodgers gone to the Bucs and played right away he might have gone down the path of David Carr. .

So true.  Rodgers fell into the perfect situation.  Had the 49ers taken him with the first overall pick, I would bet he would have flopped.

Disagree. You can't teach the accuracy Rodgers has. He would have still been good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hard to say.  He may have gone the route of Giovanni Carmazi.  The 49ers had high hopes for him and he was looking awesome in practice.    Dude was thrown into action too soon and lost his confidence. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No mention of Booker Reese? In 1982, the Bucs traded their 1983 first-round draft pick to draft Booker Reese in the second round. He was traded for a late-round pick after two years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booker sucked big time.  But he was a 2nd round pick.  That was a worse trade than it was a draft pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booker sucked big time.  But he was a 2nd round pick.  That was a worse trade than it was a draft pick.

I think the two go hand in hand. I will say, Java, I do enjoy when you contribute to the board, as you have in this thread. I think you often waste your knowledge here trying to get people riled up.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

IIRC, could have had a shot at at a pair of future HOF’ers had we kept that pick (Marino, Darrell Green).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst pick is debateable.  Freeman comes to mind right away. But he was worth taking a shot on. IMO  And did contribute somewhat. Just not as much as everyone expected after that 1 good season.  They gambled on him and lost the bet.#1 has to be Bo. After that, it has to be one of 5-6 other players.  Any of them could get the "honor".I like that Bo told Culverhouse, don't even think about it, so Culverhouse picks him anyway. Thinking, oh hell, he will sign eventually. Bo stuck to his word, I always thought Bo had a little Forest Gump in him. Its sucks we wasted the pick, but you can't blame Bo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes. BennPrice Myron LewisThe Trifecta of incompetence.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good lord that is horrible ....thanks Dummynik.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good lord that is horrible ....thanks Dummynik.

No worse than passing up on a franchise HOF QB for a back up running back. My god Allen and Gruden were so bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst is Gaines Adams no question

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Although in the 1977 draft Tampa Bay could have selected Tony Dorsett instead of RIcky Bell, I’m excluding that off of this list as Ricky Bell was a true great.

No he wasn't

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1981: Maybe not the worst Draft decision, but it feels sour. Yes Tampa Bay needed to fill their linebacker void and drafted a one year Pro Bowl Linebacker in Hugh Green. After a series of injuries Green found is way off of the Bucs after a short stint. Just one pick after Hugh Green, the LA Rams selected Hall Of Fame safety Ronnie Lott...Imagine if Lott went to the Bucs.

The Rams?

2012: Doug Martin was selected and probably was the best pick of the recent years. A complete surprise pick Martin went on to be a pro-bowl running back of his rookie year.

Lavonte has been the better 2012 draft pick

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Had Rodgers gone to the Bucs and played right away he might have gone down the path of David Carr. 

Not under the tutelage of the QB guru  8)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst is Gaines Adams no question

definitely top 2-3.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Although in the 1977 draft Tampa Bay could have selected Tony Dorsett instead of RIcky Bell, I'm excluding that off of this list as Ricky Bell was a true great.

No he wasn't

In the same way, there was no need to comment on Gaines Adams, I am fine with allowing the quote you copied to stand without comment.My opinion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Although in the 1977 draft Tampa Bay could have selected Tony Dorsett instead of RIcky Bell, I'm excluding that off of this list as Ricky Bell was a true great.

No he wasn't

In the same way, there was no need to comment on Gaines Adams, I am fine with allowing the quote you copied to stand without comment.My opinion.

Not sure where you're going with that.Gaines sucked as a top draft pick.....and the fact that he's deceased doesn't change that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

77 take Tony Dorsett and 78 take Earl Cambell .  What a backfield .  Doug Williams would have been there in the 2nd rd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No he wasn't

Not sure where you're going with that.Gaines sucked as a top draft pick.....and the fact that he's deceased doesn't change that.

I'm just saying I respected the lack of a comment by the writer on the inclusion of Adams on the list.  His inclusion on the list is enough acknowledgement of his shortcomings as a player.  Ditto the classy way of addressing the Bell/Dorsett choice.  To many, Bell might not have been a truly great player but still a truly great Buccaneer and man. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kenyatta Walker has to be on here…drafted 14th, we traded our 1st and 2nd round pick that year to Buffalo to get him.  And he was terrible.  One of my all time least favorite Bucs.  Steve Hutchinson (7 time pro bowler) was taken a few picks later, Casey Hampton (5 time pro bowler) a few picks after that.  Reggie Wayne was the second to last pick in the first round, and Drew Brees was the first pick in the second round. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No he wasn't

I'm just saying I respected the lack of a comment by the writer on the inclusion of Adams on the list.  His inclusion on the list is enough acknowledgement of his shortcomings as a player.  Ditto the classy way of addressing the Bell/Dorsett choice.  To many, Bell might not have been a truly great player but still a truly great Buccaneer and man.

Lil too PC for my liking.....if' you(the writer) is gonna include them on the list, speak on it. As for Bell, death has a way of clouding one's judgement, for sentimental reasons, i suppose. Dude had one 1000 yd season, one season where he averaged 4 yds per carry. Wilder was a great Buccaneer RB. Bell was not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No he wasn't

Lil too PC for my liking.....if' you(the writer) is gonna include them on the list, speak on it. As for Bell, death has a way of clouding one's judgement, for sentimental reasons, i suppose. Dude had one 1000 yd season, one season where he averaged 4 yds per carry. Wilder was a great Buccaneer RB. Bell was not.

No PC speak here, just courtesy and honor.  Adams was not so long ago, that any real expanding on his career is needed to merit his inclusion for even relatively new fans of the Bucs.  Bell's legacy may be "clouded", but clouded by more than just his untimely passing.  He was a stand up guy well liked and respected by his team mates, and those who knew him.  He was also a key component of the teams sole burst of glory until the late 90's.  Many, myself included, are slow to judge him too harshly for his performance, because there is no way of knowing when the disease that took him actually began to impact his performance.I have no problem saying Bell was a great Buccaneer.  Maybe not a great running back, but neither the writer nor myself claimed that.  By the way, I could not agree more that Wilder was both.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s a lot poorly thought out with this article. 2001 - No mention of Kenyatta Walker among the worst. 2004 - No mention of Michael Clayton among the worst. 2005 - No mention of Carnell Williams among the worst and causing us to miss the best QB we've had access to over the last 10 years. 2007 - I'll continually feel Gaines Adams gets an undue amount of hate simply for not being Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson. Adams was an ok player. He lead all rookies in sacks in 2007 and was a key player on one of the best defenses in the NFL in 2007 and 2008. He was a good kid who tried hard, a far cry from notorious crybabies like Walker and Clayton. 2009 - I also feel Josh Freeman wasn't as bad as people like to remember. He was a pretty good player from the end of 2009 until the beginning of 2011 and then played great the first half of 2012. We got a lot of good games out of him. Additionally, we should all thank him for flaming out before we had to pay him any extra money. Unlike Michael Clayton and Davin Joseph who got major contract extensions before proving to everyone how horrible they were, Freeman left pretty affordably. 2010 - No mention of Gerald McCoy among the best. 2012 - Doug Martin has not shown nearly enough to be considered among the best. As of right now he has been eligible for 32 NFL games and has only had 100 yards rushing in a game 6 times. As others have said, LaVonte David was the true winner from this class.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kenyatta was a disappointment , but he did start in a Superbowl winning team so you can’t really call him the worst.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's a lot poorly thought out with this article. 2001 - No mention of Kenyatta Walker among the worst. 2004 - No mention of Michael Clayton among the worst. 2005 - No mention of Carnell Williams among the worst and causing us to miss the best QB we've had access to over the last 10 years. 2007 - I'll continually feel Gaines Adams gets an undue amount of hate simply for not being Calvin Johnson or Adrian Peterson. Adams was an ok player. He lead all rookies in sacks in 2007 and was a key player on one of the best defenses in the NFL in 2007 and 2008. He was a good kid who tried hard, a far cry from notorious crybabies like Walker and Clayton. 2009 - I also feel Josh Freeman wasn't as bad as people like to remember. He was a pretty good player from the end of 2009 until the beginning of 2011 and then played great the first half of 2012. We got a lot of good games out of him. Additionally, we should all thank him for flaming out before we had to pay him any extra money. Unlike Michael Clayton and Davin Joseph who got major contract extensions before proving to everyone how horrible they were, Freeman left pretty affordably. 2010 - No mention of Gerald McCoy among the best. 2012 - Doug Martin has not shown nearly enough to be considered among the best. As of right now he has been eligible for 32 NFL games and has only had 100 yards rushing in a game 6 times. As others have said, LaVonte David was the true winner from this class.

.................and far superior to 1st rounder Luke Kuechly.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's a lot poorly thought out with this article. 2001 - No mention of Kenyatta Walker among the worst. 2004 - No mention of Michael Clayton among the worst. 2005 - No mention of Carnell Williams among the worst and causing us to miss the best QB we've had access to over the last 10 years.

All those players you mentioned, have contributed some.  Maybe not a lot, but they did contribute.  There has been a few players drafted by the Bucs, that have contributed zero.

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

Best Brooks Worst Josh Freeman

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Best Brooks Worst Josh Freeman

Statistically our best Defensive player ever and our best offensive player ever.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's a lot poorly thought out with this article. 2001 - No mention of Kenyatta Walker among the worst. 2004 - No mention of Michael Clayton among the worst. 2005 - No mention of Carnell Williams among the worst and causing us to miss the best QB we've had access to over the last 10 years.

All those players you mentioned, have contributed some.  Maybe not a lot, but they did contribute.  There has been a few players drafted by the Bucs, that have contributed zero.

Gaines Adams and Josh Freeman contributed, too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Had Bucs not drafted Freeman2009- 0-16Draft Bradford2010- 3-132011- 2-142012- 5-11

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Had Bucs not drafted Freeman2009- 0-16Draft Bradford2010- 3-132011- 2-142012- 5-11

Certainly possible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

thank god we avoided that train wreck and drafted Freeman instead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

thank god we avoided that train wreck and drafted Freeman instead.

Well with Freeman we were able to have two years of exciting offense, win 10 games once, only have to pay him $25-30 million, and could cut the cord and start looking for someone better after four years. With Bradford the Rams have had a perpetually awful offense, never had a winning season, paid him $50 million, and still don't know if he is the answer or not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First we trade our 83 draft pick foe Reece and miss out on drafting Marino, Jim Kelly, etc.  then we let Doug Williams go and trade our 1984 1st round pick for Jack Thompson.  Still in the later rounds guys like hostetler and boomer esiason were available. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not sure I want to compare my franchise with the Rams post Faulk.  As far as I’m concerned, you are either a viable threat to win the Super Bowl or you are not.  We haven’t been since the end of the Colts game 2003 and we are hopefully taking steps to change that.  Step one, making sure our defense is top 5 in the NFC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First we trade our 83 draft pick foe Reece and miss out on drafting Marino, Jim Kelly, etc.  then we let Doug Williams go and trade our 1984 1st round pick for Jack Thompson.  Still in the later rounds guys like hostetler and boomer esiason were available.

We have a long storied history of letting solid players walk or missing out on franchise type players because we were so shortsighted.  It's why I hate this draft for QBs.  People are making up greatness where it is not.  Most analysts see this as well but the heads at ESPN are hesitant to be too critical because of draft ratings.  Vegas knows the deal for Tampa. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Feel Real Good:2010 - No mention of Gerald McCoy among the best. 2012 - Doug Martin has not shown nearly enough to be considered among the best. As of right now he has been eligible for 32 NFL games and has only had 100 yards rushing in a game 6 times.__________Who missed more games their first two years, McCoy or Martin?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Feel Real Good:2010 - No mention of Gerald McCoy among the best. 2012 - Doug Martin has not shown nearly enough to be considered among the best. As of right now he has been eligible for 32 NFL games and has only had 100 yards rushing in a game 6 times.__________Who missed more games their first two years, McCoy or Martin?

This article is being written in 2014, not 2012. If it was 2012, McCoy would be fair game. Now that it's 2014, he's clearly one of the team's best picks in a long time. If Doug Martin averages 1,800 yards from scrimmage each of the next two years and 2013 is the anomoly, you won't hear me questioning his place.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You used “eligible” as if Martin being sidelined with injury was not a sufficient excuse for lack of production. For McCoy, however, it apparently was a sufficient excuse. McCoy’s career production in no way puts him among the greats yet.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You used "eligible" as if Martin being sidelined with injury was not a sufficient excuse for lack of production. For McCoy, however, it apparently was a sufficient excuse. McCoy's career production in no way puts him among the greats yet.

I said if you were writing this same article in 2012, putting McCoy in the "worst" column would be fair. You're inventing something out of nothing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not inventing anything. You forget what you said already? "2010 - No mention of Gerald McCoy among the best."How does two years production out of four years eligible make you among the best?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not inventing anything. You forget what you said already? "2010 - No mention of Gerald McCoy among the best."How does two years production out of four years eligible make you among the best?

What have you done for me lately? McCoy is trending up. He has been healthy two consecutive seasons and been recognized as among the best at his position, recently culminating with a place on the all-pro team. Martin is trending down. He barely played last year and when he did, he didn't look very good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gaines Adams and Josh Freeman contributed, too.

True.  What I am saying is, there is another group below them. It could be worse is my point. Bo is the president of that group that never contributed ANYTHING.

Please wait…

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.