Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 47 reply threads

• Author

• Runole

Participant

Take a break from OCD.

Impeccable vocals and instruments. Foxes and Fossils.
      They have a ton of videos .

beach boys? csny? Live or studio etc etc NO PROBLEM!

• Runole

Participant

How about CSNY?

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

…you “may” be interrupting
      LoserfgtDem Takes
      Part 73,153

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

…you “may” be interrupting
      LoserfgtDem Takes
      Part 73,153

KKKron still crying.

Those QPublican tears smell like loser.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

That band has good range and harmony.

They do their genres pretty well.

• Runole

Participant

How about a live cover of the BEATLES ” Day in the life” without the girls?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I’m not trying to throw shade, but what is with boomers and liking cover bands?

Not that they aren’t talented, but cover bands are nice for events… but generally pretty lame. A few good ones out there… and playing some covers is great if you do it differently or unique.

But being a cover band for one band I just find to be lame (I see this band isn’t that but all the same)… like the band at my wedding was great, they did some great covers…

But outside of that, or a beer garden, or whatever… I’m pretty meh on cover bands.

Would rather see some original music with a couple covers sprinkled in…

The band does sound solid tho

• Runole

Participant

False premise there Licht. Not a fan of cover bands but when one is so special they have over 50 million views they are worth noting. When their covers are better than the original they deserve praise.

How about this classic from the mid 50’s with the oldest sister (Rachel)sitting in?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

It’s good, crisp… they are talented cover artists

But it’s the exact same as the original so it doesn’t do much for me.

The best covers are from bands that already have their own style, and apply that style to the cover.

Obviously this is all just opinion, and I’m not trying to hate on this band…

Also keep in mind the skill in the studio engineer mixing/mastering. I’m learning how to do much of that and it is crazy hard

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Also keep in mind the skill in the studio engineer mixing/mastering. I’m learning how to do much of that and it is crazy hard

It’s way more difficult than one would think.

I’ve recorded a number of Def Leppard, Motley, and EVH guitar tracks.

Recorded the rhythm and leads, with a good friend laying down bass.

Only imported vocals and drums.

Took us days just using ProLogic and that’s not factoring in the time spent using Final Cut, since we visually recorded it as well.

The professionals are artists themselves.

• Runole

Participant

It’s way more difficult than one would think.

I’ve recorded a number of Def Leppard, Motley, and EVH guitar tracks.

Recorded the rhythm and leads, with a good friend laying down bass.

Only imported vocals and drums.

Took us days just using ProLogic and that’s not factoring in the time spent using Final Cut, since we visually recorded it as well.

The professionals are artists themselves.

Correct Both recording in and out of the studio are superb as is the guy that takes care the video. They have requests from all over the world to perform and have escaped
      the corporate leeches and grifters of the industry. Oh the founder Tim does have original music which can be found at their site.

How about a live rendition of newer stuff…

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I’m using Reaper. Learning about all sorts of important techniques that I just never knew existed.

I have kids so I plug direct in, and I use ezdrummer to make my drum track.

It’s a lot of a fun but it is absolutely maddening, trail and error, and steep learning curve.

I think I have a good sound but then I listen to Zepplin IV or Nirvana Nermind and the contrast is crazy.

Obviously having expensive instruments, mics, and equipment helps but the mixing/mastering is an art form for sure!

I saw a great analogy that the artist is like a RB, and the studio engineer is like the offensive line. Thought that was great

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Correct Both recording in and out of the studio are superb as is the guy that takes care the video.

Absolutely.

I saw a great analogy that the artist is like a RB, and the studio engineer is like the offensive line. Thought that was great

Great comparison.

And, yes, having expensive equipment helps.

Personally, when recording, I mainly run everything through a Line 6 Helix direct into a MacBook Pro (non-recording, I’ll run the Helix through QSC monitor).

I think ProLogic/Final Cut are worth every dollar and not super expensive by any means. The Helix wasn’t cheap, but it’s allowed me to sell off my pedals and amps.

I know the traditionalist would slam me for not having any authenticity, but my setup is more practical.

Honestly, the bulk of my money is in my guitars. And, the bulk of that is really on two.

And, that’s both of my Jackson PC1’s. I have one set to standard tuning and the other a half-step down.

Greatest guitar I’ve ever played. I’m actually selling everything else with the exception of a Les Paul I’m keeping, because I literally don’t touch anything else.

Hoping to get one of them signed by the man himself!

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I use virtual amps and virtual pedals direct in recording because I do it at night when the kids are asleep. The sound is rad… you can imitate almost anything virtually these days. I’m investing in a ton of plugins and loving it… I used to be a purest, and now I’m a pragmatist.

I still use my boss metalzone pedal and my RAT for some crunch before it hits my interface.

Guitar wise I’m using a 70s telecaster that I love… one humbuck and one single coil give me that blended sound I love.

My first ever guitar from 25 years ago was Les Paul Epiphone. Still have it and I’m going to give it to one of my kids.

Also playing a Heritage from the 60s, ESP LTD with a Floyd rose tree tuned down a whole step (super crunchy metal riffs for long sustain chugging – Metallica). My dad gave me his Yamaha AE1200S, this electric/acoustic monste. Got a Fender Jazzmaster bass, and then a bunch of acoustic guitars… I mainly play my Taylor.

I think I have 14 guitars in all plus a uke, mandolin…

Thinking of consolidating into a Les Paul but I can’t stand the thought of trading in guitars and losing value.

Lastly, I invested in Shur SM7B for vox and acoustic mic production and the difference is incredible. Treated my walls with acoustic foam… and I almost got divorced for spending all that money (kidding)

• Runole

Participant

“I’m not trying to throw shade, but what is with boomers and liking cover bands?”

I believe the appeal is due to anyone raised in the era of R&R 1954- 1990 appreciates the quality of both the vocals and music created. It is very refreshing to see those of GEN Z keeping it alive and still relevant. This is not to say good music hasn’t been produced 1990-2021 but on top 100 airwaves it is rare. Far too much simplistic crap void of melody, harmony, and virtuosity.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

New music is shit and has been for almost a decade. A few diamonds in the rough but rock is mostly dead.

The best eras of music (imo obviously)
      60s
      90s
      70s
      50s
      2000s
      80s
      2010s
      2020s

Obviously DH and I don’t see eye to eye on 80s music. I like some bands: Cars, G&R, Metallica, Talking Heads… others that are escaping me… but I can’t get into glam/hair metal

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

but I can’t get into glam/hair metal

That’s because you suck.

(I kid, I kid)

• Kermit56

Participant

Far too much simplistic crap void of melody, harmony, and virtuosity.

And instruments :)

• Runole

Participant

Far too much simplistic crap void of melody, harmony, and virtuosity.

And instruments :)

That was what I was referring to with virtuosity. Should have included excellent audio and videography both live and in the studio. Only criticism is the blasé crowd response. JMO but they have to be told what is good or bad. They lack discernment for musical talent. I can remember going to a concert at the old Tampa stadium where ZZTop was one of the opening acts. Crowd was indifferent to the performance. I was shocked. Of course they might have been too stoned to notice. lol

• Runole

Participant

New music is shit and has been for almost a decade. A few diamonds in the rough but rock is mostly dead.

The best eras of music (imo obviously)
      60s
      90s
      70s
      50s
      2000s
      80s
      2010s
      2020s

Obviously DH and I don’t see eye to eye on 80s music. I like some bands: Cars, G&R, Metallica, Talking Heads… others that are escaping me… but I can’t get into glam/hair metal

My choices would have been 60’s 70’s and 80’S excluding the Glam ones. Also, appreciate the doo wop era late 50’s EARLY R&R etc. The 90’s belonged to women vocalists IMO. Classic rock peaked in the 70’s

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Fucking love 90s but 60s are the best… can’t argue with that.

50s have some good stuff

I also enjoy old school country/blues/folk from Denver to Dylan to Cline to Elvis to Prine to Dement to Cash

• Runole

Participant

Fucking love 90s but 60s are the best… can’t argue with that.

50s have some good stuff

I also enjoy old school country/blues/folk from Denver to Dylan to Cline to Elvis to Prine to Dement to Cash

Speaking of the 90’s this device gets my vote for the best use of keyboard arpeggiator
      in a hit song

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Bring the hate for the glam rock!!!

I love the haters!!!

Lol.

• Runole

Participant

Bring the hate for the glam rock!!!

I love the haters!!!

Lol.

Well I do like Billy Idol does that count?

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Personally, I wouldn’t put him in that category.

But, I definitely like him.

• Runole

Participant

Personally, I wouldn’t put him in that category.

But, I definitely like him.

Tend to agree. Wonder if Grunge was a response to Glam rock?

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Wonder if Grunge was a response to Glam rock?

It’s a plausible theory for sure.

I mean, the timelines mesh perfectly.

• Runole

Participant

Wonder if Grunge was a response to Glam rock?

It’s a plausible theory for sure.

I mean, the timelines mesh perfectly.

Just like punk devolved from the brilliant classic rock of the seventies.
      Same with disco which emphasized dancing.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Grunge 100% ended glam rock…

I really don’t “hate” the 80s… just a handful of bands:

Poison
      White Snake
      Ratt
      Twisted Sister
      Motley Crew

Those bands are just cringy to me, but I’d imagine some of the bands I like others would feel the same.

But the glam crap, with caked on makeup and pyrotechnics are just awful to me sonically and visually.

Plenty of 80s bands I like when I look at a list, so it’s really just that STYLE of music

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Poison
      White Snake
      Ratt
      Twisted Sister
      Motley Crew

Couple of incredible guitarists in that group.

Mars, DeMartini, Crosby (RIP), Sykes.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Christina Aguilera is an incredible singer, but her music is trash.

Def some good guitar players, but I just don’t care for that sound…

Van Halen is another meh band for me with an incredible guitarist

• Runole

Participant

Poison
      White Snake
      Ratt
      Twisted Sister
      Motley Crew

Those bands are just cringy to me, but I’d imagine some of the bands I like others would feel the same.

But the glam crap, with caked on makeup and pyrotechnics are just awful to me sonically and visually.

Plenty of 80s bands I like when I look at a list, so it’s really just that STYLE of music

agree One of the many reasons I never cared for KISS.

• Runole

Participant

Speaking of the 60’s it appears GEN Z likes dancing “shuffle” to this old Elvis classic remix.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Van Halen is another meh band for me with an incredible guitarist

I’ll give you credit I don’t even have a response to this blasphemy.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I recognize they have hits that aren’t my taste… and even a few classics like running with the devil, are hard not to love

Just not my sound

• Runole

Participant

I recognize they have hits that aren’t my taste… and even a few classics like running with the devil, are hard not to love

Just not my sound

Vocally Van Halen was weak. Obviously, Eddie was an excellent guitarist and combine that with DLR stage presence that sold the classic rock group. Not a big fan after all doing a “cover” the Kinks “You really got me” was their ticket to stardom. An argument could be made that it was better than the original due to EV’s guitar work.

On the subject of covers being equal or better than the original..

• Col. Klink

Participant

Poison
      White Snake
      Ratt
      Twisted Sister
      Motley Crew

Yeah, I wondered if he had inadvertently left them off his hate list of the 80’s …. but I guess it was because they were probably more late 70’s but did spawn those 80’s abominations.

• Runole

Participant

Poison
      White Snake
      Ratt
      Twisted Sister
      Motley Crew

Yeah, I wondered if he had inadvertently left them off his hate list of the 80’s …. but I guess it was because they were probably more late 70’s but did spawn those 80’s abominations.

The ultimate gimmick band of all time

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

While some were definitely “gimmicky”, there were some extremely talented guitarists in a few of those groups (as I mentioned).

Agreed with @runole regarding VH vocal ineptitude, but that got much better with the Red Rocker.

• Runole

Participant

While some were definitely “gimmicky”, there were some extremely talented guitarists in a few of those groups (as I mentioned).

Agreed with @runole regarding VH vocal ineptitude, but that got much better with the Red Rocker.

agree on both declarations

Another contemporary last decade cover superbly done by F&F

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I just didn’t think of Kiss… they suck, although I did love the movie “Detroit Rock City”

I thought they started in the 70s so I lump them in there…

• Shelby T Mitchell

Participant

The Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart Clubs Band

• Runole

Participant

The Beatles Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Heart Clubs Band

???? What is your point? not following?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Are we just naming albums, haha…

Uhhhh…

Down on the Upside

• Runole

Participant

Are we just naming albums, haha…

Uhhhh…

Down on the Upside

Must have not followed the thread? Hmmm? In my opening title I did state “Cover”
      band! lol

• Runole

Participant

Speaking of contemporary groups. One of the best “ORIGINAL” hard rock groups today IMO.

• Runole

Participant

Time for another break from resident coves OCD’er

These gals are real head bangers

No Asian hate

• Runole

Participant

FOXES AND FOSSILS DO MOTOWN

• Runole

Participant

SOME MORE CSNY BY F+F?

• Runole

Participant

Think I like this version better! From Ireland I believe

Center girl: Pain in the eyes.
      Right girl: Happiness in the eyes.
      Left girl: Understanding in the eyes. (from the comment section I agree!)

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.