Tuesday, July 23, 2019

BIG LEAD: Arians ranked 24th best head coach in the NFL

This topic contains 30 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Havok904 May. 17, 2019 at 7:08 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Morgan
    Participant

Speaking of playoff wins, hard to believe the last playoff win for this franchise was the 2002 season nearly 17 yrs ago.

——

It’s hard to believe you have been trolling the Bucs for over 20 years

troll=realist

you=cheerleader topic poster where even 5-11 teams are okay w/you

+5
    Rating: +5. From 5 votes.
    Please wait...

-------------------------------------------
    Following the Bucs since 1981

tog
    Participant

If I recall correctly was there a year the cardinals had the best record in the nfc but then lost Carson Palmer late in the season, and his backup went down too and they started a third string QB in the playoffs? And he had a very good Seattle team to contend with in his division. I’m not suggesting BA is a top 10 coach but 24 seems a bit low for a two time coach of the year to me.

I mean these rankings aren’t really worth much. Is Matt Patricia a better coach than Bruce Arians? I don’t think so, but maybe? It’s more click bait than actual analysis.

That being said, Arians has a number of things working against him: (1) a bad team (2) age/health (3) uncertainty at QB (4) a strong division (5) 1 playoff win.

Arians is a guy that could win a Super Bowl. But he’s not a coach that will compete for them regularly unfortunately.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

Morgan
    Participant

If I recall correctly was there a year the cardinals had the best record in the nfc but then lost Carson Palmer late in the season, and his backup went down too and they started a third string QB in the playoffs? And he had a very good Seattle team to contend with in his division. I’m not suggesting BA is a top 10 coach but 24 seems a bit low for a two time coach of the year to me.

I mean these rankings aren’t really worth much. Is Matt Patricia a better coach than Bruce Arians? I don’t think so, but maybe? It’s more click bait than actual analysis.

That being said, Arians has a number of things working against him: (1) a bad team (2) age/health (3) uncertainty at QB (4) a strong division (5) 1 playoff win.

Arians is a guy that could win a Super Bowl. But he’s not a coach that will compete for them regularly unfortunately.

he’s kicking himself for not lobbying strong enough for the Cleveland job..

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

tog
    Participant

he’s kicking himself for not lobbying strong enough for the Cleveland job..

He likely had no chance at that job.

And don’t get me wrong. I really, really like Arians. And I want him to succeed not just as a Buc but also because I like him.

The coolest thing would be to see him step more into that “Czar” role and really build up a collection of elite coaches churning out of Tampa.

+5
    Please wait...

GoldsonAges
    Participant

Is anyone surprised? Arians is way overrated in buc land. He has 1 playoff win. I feel like he had better pieces in Phoenix.

It will be short and brutal.

Right but in his one playoff win he beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers with Carson Palmer at QB who was washed up a couple years earlier.

I get it if you’re a long time fan and dont get your hopes up too high but you seem excessively negative about BA. He was 13-3 that year and one game away from a SB

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

GottaJaboo wrote:
    (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
    Update - UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

Mic
    Participant

Arians won a division against Harbaugh and Carroll both we’d love to have, I don’t think hes overrated, just not as good of a talent evaluator

+1
    Please wait...

Morgan
    Participant

Arians won a division against Harbaugh and Carroll both we’d love to have, I don’t think hes overrated, just not as good of a talent evaluator

Lovie Smith beat the Packers w/ Grossman and took his team to the SB. Not really buying that line anymore about what a pro coach did with another franchise.

+5
    Please wait...

GameTime
    Participant

Lovie Smith beat the Packers w/ Grossman and took his team to the SB. Not really buying that line anymore about what a pro coach did with another franchise.

When did you buy that line?

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

Morgan
    Participant

When did you buy that line?

I bought it with Wyche/Smith/Dungy.    But also saw George Walsh, Steve Mariucci and others have success then major failures. Savior Arians needs to go to the NFL HoF if he takes this franchise to the SB or even playoffs for that matter.

https://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2019/01/01/tampa-bay-buccaneers-aftermath-atlanta-falcons-the-art-of-losing/

+2
    Please wait...

PassThePigSkin
    Participant

Bruce Having two coordinators with updated playbooks is the difference between him and Lovie. One thing I noticed about Bruce hiring process is his ability to know he’s outdated but can still control the team.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

The Anomaly
    Participant

Is anyone surprised? Arians is way overrated in buc land. He has 1 playoff win. I feel like he had better pieces in Phoenix.

Right but in his one playoff win he beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers with Carson Palmer at QB who was washed up a couple years earlier.

I get it if you’re a long time fan and dont get your hopes up too high but you seem excessively negative about BA. He was 13-3 that year and one game away from a SB

That’s a one off situation.  He really hasn’t done much.  You guys can blow him up and try to make him into something bigger but he’s not.  He’s an old retired dude.  He’s not even calling plays(which was his actual claim to fame).

+1
    Please wait...

pewterblood
    Participant

Bruce Arians is a great coach, but nepotism, age, and the fact that Jason Licht is the GM will be his downfall. #24 is about right.

+1
    Please wait...

tog
    Participant

The problem is he did it once.

Lots of mediocre coaches are able to have one great season. That’s one of the concerns with Arians – he did it once. The guys that are truly great coaches win consistently. Now Arians had two winning seasons before the 13-3 season.

Contrast Arians with Carroll: Carroll hasn’t had a losing season since his 2nd in Seattle (7-9). In fact, that’s his worst record in Seattle. Even with the roster turnover the last two years he’s had 9 and 10 wins.

Or look at Tomlin who’s never had a losing season with the Steelers.

Now, both Carroll and Tomlin have won with excellent QBs – and Arians won when Palmer was excellent. But this is also a big criticism I have of Arians: he won’t allow competition or a talented backup QB. It cost him in the playoffs when Palmer went down and he had a completely unprepared backup in.

+2
    Please wait...

Morgan
    Participant

That’s a one off situation. He really hasn’t done much. You guys can blow him up and try to make him into something bigger but he’s not. He’s an old retired dude. He’s not even calling plays(which was his actual claim to fame).

These folks are classically pulling the “seeing things through pewter glasses” and “drinking the Arian’s koolaid”…..this is kind of funny to see as a spectator of the game.  High-hope but gullible Bucs fans again having the ball ripped out……

+2
    Please wait...

Havok904
    Participant

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.