Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• buc-in-out

Participant

Bucs make Bowles the highest paid defensive coordinator in the league, according to Adam Schefter. This contract doesn’t stop him from looking at other HC positions, but maybe just like Kiffen he’ll prefer sticking to a DC role if we pay up!

LOVE IT.

• Culo Con Dientes

Participant

He already had a taste of being a HC. He needs to stay put unless his dream HC job appears. It might be right where he is in Tampa in a couple of years.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Well deserved.

I’d prefer him to be the next HC over Leftwich.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

I think it’s smart of Bowles as he is the head coach in waiting once Brady and Bruce retire.

like those have said, if that retirement isn’t for another 3-4 years, he is on a championship caliber team with alot of talent on the defensive side of the ball which will give him his pick of choice.

It’s one thing to be a head coach of a crap team like the Jets, it’s another to be able to coach a winning franchise like the Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, etc. (or whatever team is good at that point)

• Runole

Participant

Agree with everyone.

• Pennywise

Participant

Pass on Bowles as future HC in Tampa , he was in over his head before , and it showed .

I rather give lefty the job , or hire outside of current staff .

Bowles being highest paid DC means nothing , Bucs have shown before they will pay coaches , even when no longer in Tampa , extension means nothing .

• seekpar

Participant

Good move for the Bucs and their fans!

• TBChucky

Participant

I love it.. I think we’ll continue to build up the defensive side of the ball with premium draft picks. I’d be willing to bet there was a side conversation about being the next HC.. Why would he stay otherwise?

• Roy

Participant

In February of 2020, Martindale became the highest paid DC at $3.25 mil reportedly. So that would put Bowles at about $3.5 to $4 mil per year, a total of $10 to $12 mil. This puts him in the range of the lower tier of NFL HCs. For example, Bowles made $4 mil when he coached the Jets. Anthony Lynn is making $4 mil. Kyle Shanahan $3 mil.

The takeaway from that is that the Bucs can feel secure that Bowles will have little incentive to take a lower tier HC job next time Black Monday rolls around. For Bowles part, he probably didn’t want a job like that anyway. Been there, done that. You can’t prevent Bowles from taking a HC job, but they just made it a lot harder. You better bring him a serious contract and not just the garden variety new HC deal.

• Pennywise

Participant

Bowles will take any HCing job offered to him , and it would be for more than 4 per year .

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

This means absolutely nothing. If the defense plays like it did in the playoffs, then some team will poach him from our staff to be their next head coach.

• Biggs3535

Participant

The dude that thought Bowles was on the hot seat might not like this news.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

This means absolutely nothing. If the defense plays like it did in the playoffs, then some team will poach him from our staff to be their next head coach.

the question is…would he want to be head coach of the Texans or defensive coordinator of a Superbowl contender.

i think it all depends on the teams that are available whether he should jump ship.

For example, I am a director of finance with the next move up being Chief Financial officer. Would i leave the current company that is grooming me to be CFO and is a better company for a lesser company already offering me the role? It’s something to think about but certainly shouldnt be short sited.

I think the fact that Bowles already experienced being a head coach of a poor team, he should build his resume more with Tampa before getting his pick of the litter in 2-3 years, which could be Tampa.

• Roy

Participant

Bowles will take any HCing job offered to him , and it would be for more than 4 per year .

I disagree. I don’t know what Bowles is thinking. I can only put myself in his position and think of what I would do. Of course this is all predicated on the idea that the Bucs have a successful season again, but if I’m Bowles I don’t jump at any opportunity that comes along. There are some NFL HC jobs where the deck is stacked against you from the start. The Bucs used to be one of those jobs. The coaches they hired were not the pick of the litter, because the top candidates wouldn’t be caught dead in Tampa Bay.

Now if one of those less desirable destinations wants to pony up with a more serious contract befitting of a higher candidate, perhaps he has some connection with the GM, some decision making power, more guaranteed years, or higher pay, then Bowles would probably jump at the opportunity.

But he needs to make his next opportunity count if he wants to resurrect his HC reputation. He needs to wait for the right opportunity to come along.

• TCB2W!

Participant

Okay everyone beating up Bowles first run as a Jets HC. I decided to do some digging on why his team tanked his second season:

Since 1987, the Jets have won 10 or more games 6 times and Bowles was one of those coaches. The next year he went from Chris Ivory to 31 year old Matt Forte. He lost Eric Decker to who was replaced by Robby Anderson. Both starting tackles were replaced. 3 of their starting 4 linebackers were new to the team. 2 of them rookies. Antonio Cromartie was replaced by Buster Skrine. That is a heck of a drop off in talent from 2015 and 2016 and that’s just the starters! And let’s not pretend they have not been a dumpster fire for a very very long time.

Pete Carrol win percentage Jets .375. Other teams? .620<br />
      Rich Koitite win percentage Jets .125 Other teams? .563<br />
      Bowles win percentage? Same as Pete Carrol .375

Personally based on his comments, I think he would only go to a team he had a chance with instead of, you know, the Jets.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by TCB2W!.

• BuccaNOLEer

Blocked

the question is…would he want to be head coach of the Texans or defensive coordinator of a Superbowl contender.

i think it all depends on the teams that are available whether he should jump ship.

For example, I am a director of finance with the next move up being Chief Financial officer. Would i leave the current company that is grooming me to be CFO and is a better company for a lesser company already offering me the role? It’s something to think about but certainly shouldnt be short sited.

I think the fact that Bowles already experienced being a head coach of a poor team, he should build his resume more with Tampa before getting his pick of the litter in 2-3 years, which could be Tampa.

Depends on the situation. Yes, we all know he failed as the head coach of the Jets, but the Jets front office and scouting department is inept and has been for a while. Perhaps with a better situation, he could shine as a head coach. But he’d need a strong OC under him.

• TBChucky

Participant

Maybe we can keep Leftwich as OC?Lol.. This season Obviously will determine a lot. Between the two, I’m honestly leaning towards Bowles right now.. Who knows. That can change by seasons end. Bowles himself said he LOVES it here.. He loves the area and the fan base. Huge difference from the way they run the Jets, and the way the way they run Bucs. I fully expect JL to keep spending premium draft picks to load up the defense even more. Very solid chance that it’ll be worth it for Bowles to wait it out, rather than to blow your second chance in Houston or Detroit. Highly unlikely he’d get a third chance with a headset..

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Maybe we can keep Leftwich as OC?Lol.. This season Obviously will determine a lot. Between the two, I’m honestly leaning towards Bowles right now.. Who knows. That can change by seasons end. Bowles himself said he LOVES it here.. He loves the area and the fan base. Huge difference from the way they run the Jets, and the way the way they run Bucs. I fully expect JL to keep spending premium draft picks to load up the defense even more. Very solid chance that it’ll be worth it for Bowles to wait it out, rather than to blow your second chance in Houston or Detroit. Highly unlikely he’d get a third chance with a headset..

i think most people will discount what Leftwich does. I mean look at that offense – Brady, Fournette, Rojo, Evans, Godwin, Brown, Gronk, Howard, not to mention Brate, Miller

honestly, how they dont get points on every drive is an amazement to me.

as far as Bowles, there is alot of talent on that side of the ball as well but the secondary is full of younger guys but i feel like given he was a head coach before, i think he will be viewed more highly…hence what the bucs front office also thought by giving him a raise

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.